Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The latest GN video about GPU power transients is a must-watch for anyone in the SFF space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

tl;dr be very afraid of putting a high-power nvidia 40 series on a SFF PSU when they come out later this year, because there is a real possibility that they will produce neat-kilowatt power spikes and a mini-PSU can't handle it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Klyith posted:

The latest GN video about GPU power transients is a must-watch for anyone in the SFF space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

tl;dr be very afraid of putting a high-power nvidia 40 series on a SFF PSU when they come out later this year, because there is a real possibility that they will produce neat-kilowatt power spikes and a mini-PSU can't handle it
They'll just make a SFX-L psu that can handle it. Life will find a way.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I imagine those cards will be too large to fit anyway. It was a chore just finding a 2 slot card in the current gen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there any hope that AMD becomes the counterpart that isn’t hot, loud and hungry (but enough about OPs mom)?

I watched it last night and man I care about performance.. but not that much. I already have my 3070 slightly underclocked and undervolted because lower temps and draw are worth the 1-2fps for me. I figure I can’t really rely on that if the card is made ground up to be a power hog right?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Both of them are rumoured to push voltage beyond reason to have the longer dick in benchmarks. You should still be able to take one of these insane cards and undervolt/underclock them just fine, but you're going to be paying "SUPER GAMER OC+++" prices for it anyway.

Or just buy the workstation cards because those actually aren't built for "+50% power draw, +5% performance" applications. Sucks their prices make scalpers look generous :v:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
GPUs will need to get their power draw under control or high-end SFF machines will have to move toward GaN based PSUs as a rule if we're to avoid moving the PSU outside the chassis. I think I just saw an SFX PSU featuring GaN. I'd rather not hop onto those immediately but 2nd and 3rd generation SFX GaN PSUs seem like a good time to jump in.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

buglord posted:

Is there any hope that AMD becomes the counterpart that isn’t hot, loud and hungry (but enough about OPs mom)?

I watched it last night and man I care about performance.. but not that much. I already have my 3070 slightly underclocked and undervolted because lower temps and draw are worth the 1-2fps for me. I figure I can’t really rely on that if the card is made ground up to be a power hog right?

amd looks to be MCM and doing a good general uplift with a max of 300w or so the rumors say. Will they beat 450W 40 series, no but if you need a new gpu with good drivers AMD is a decent choice.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

GPUs will need to get their power draw under control or high-end SFF machines will have to move toward GaN based PSUs as a rule if we're to avoid moving the PSU outside the chassis. I think I just saw an SFX PSU featuring GaN. I'd rather not hop onto those immediately but 2nd and 3rd generation SFX GaN PSUs seem like a good time to jump in.

I'm not familiar with this acronym.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Gallium Nitride. See https://wccftech.com/the-worlds-smallest-fanless-atx-psu-pictured-meet-the-hdplex-250w-with-gallium-nitride-technology/ for what can happen to PSUs thanks to the FETs getting substantially smaller / more efficient

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

mega dy posted:

They'll just make a SFX-L psu that can handle it. Life will find a way.

owls or something posted:

I imagine those cards will be too large to fit anyway. It was a chore just finding a 2 slot card in the current gen.
Just give me a new Thermaltake Core V1 (which is already large enough for full size ATX PSUs) that can take 3 slot wide and slightly longer video cards... though at some point I guess it becomes as large as a Core V21

Warmachine posted:

I'm not familiar with this acronym.
GaN is the technology behind all those extra small power bricks you've seen lately, but will it scale to full size computers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfTXZP2DB20

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 22, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPUWSBn4Fys&t=353s

It's not mini-ITX, but does it still count as SFF if it's less than 20 liters? Seriously though, that case seems good. The dan cases/lian li collab is bringing out some good results.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's pretty cool, the GPU shenanigans since 2020 made me get off the tiny SFF case train and I dislike AIOs anyway. Big fan of putting a baby head cooler and (mostly) any modern GPU into a smallish case though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

We’re going to see some wild custom loop setups with that case.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I think that may have broke me of my itch to try and build a sub 10L pc. I think the main complaint I have with my node304 is the desk space it takes up. I could probably be happy with that more vertical layout.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not mini-ITX, but does it still count as SFF if it's less than 20 liters? Seriously though, that case seems good. The dan cases/lian li collab is bringing out some good results.
maybe i'm a monster but it's really interesting to me

2x140s on the gpu is my sff-adjacent dream

e: the front panel is ugly as sin, needs to be mesh / same as side panel

and support a 120mm fan option where the 2.5 ssd'd arive

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 2, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Been sent here by the big boy large case goons.
I haven't made a custo since 2014 and I have a bug up my rear end to make a smaller case since my last one was jumbo huge.
I got lucky and snagged a 3080 FE and plan on building around that but due to its fans, and playing catch up after 8 years of no makey desktops all the reviews have me scared.
Vertical itx cases I have seen bitch about the gpu fans and same for many of the standard configs.
was looking at the LIAN LI Q58, Phanteks Evolv Shift XT, and the Phanteks Evolv Shift 2 Air Mini-ITX but I need smart take that isn't a streamer who ether is paid to like it or just gets angry as a brand
help me obi wan

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Upsidads posted:

Been sent here by the big boy large case goons.
I haven't made a custo since 2014 and I have a bug up my rear end to make a smaller case since my last one was jumbo huge.
I got lucky and snagged a 3080 FE and plan on building around that but due to its fans, and playing catch up after 8 years of no makey desktops all the reviews have me scared.
Vertical itx cases I have seen bitch about the gpu fans and same for many of the standard configs.
was looking at the LIAN LI Q58, Phanteks Evolv Shift XT, and the Phanteks Evolv Shift 2 Air Mini-ITX but I need smart take that isn't a streamer who ether is paid to like it or just gets angry as a brand
help me obi wan

Meshlicious.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Romes128 posted:

Meshlicious.

God drat it I was just looking at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDsgIfN_DEM
his review bitched about cable issues that I just cant figure out if its gonna be a problem for FE

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Upsidads posted:

his review bitched about cable issues that I just cant figure out if its gonna be a problem for FE

The inner tray isn't solid, it has large gaps, should be fine.

Also if you have a PSU with the braided cables that's preferable. I had a Silverstone SFX-L with those stiff rubber cables and I fought for my life getting them in the right places.

e-

I saw in the video it's the output cables that had issues, not the PSU cables. I just ordered some extended feet of etsy and it was fine. There's also files on the website to 3d print ur own extended feet.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 2, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i have the meshlicious with one of the corsair sf600 platinum power supplies and it wasnt very difficult to fit everything together. works great.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Deal! It aint pretty but its solid all around

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Idk about the meshilicious but getting some custom cables made everything fit super nicely in my Dan-a4, I'll definitely do that for future builds. Maybe DIY.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm a big fan of the Lian Li 215 for a relatively low cost easy case with good airflow, that 216 seems to be a nice improvement for hopefully around the same cost.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

I like everything about this. I hope there's a full silver version coming. I'm going to guess that the only reason why it doesn't completely trash the NR200P is price.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Seems a lot like the SAMA IM01

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
If I want a vertically-oriented, minimal-looking ITX case that has both USB-A and USB-C on top, should I be looking at anything other than the Meshlicious? It seems like it ticks those boxes better than anything else I'm seeing, but maybe I'm missing something.

Assuming the Mesh is the answer, how ridiculous is it to go with air cooling even though it's clearly built with a radiator in mind? I'm thinking that an AIO is pointless for a 12400, so was considering going with an NH-L12S and a couple of 140mm fans in the front and calling it a day, but wanted to sanity check this.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lian li cases are dope, and if the rumors regarding the next gen of Nvidia GPUs are true, it looks like I'll be looking at some bigger case options in the near future.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Scythe posted:

If I want a vertically-oriented, minimal-looking ITX case that has both USB-A and USB-C on top, should I be looking at anything other than the Meshlicious? It seems like it ticks those boxes better than anything else I'm seeing, but maybe I'm missing something.

The Sliger CL530 is vertically oriented and has USB A & C on its front panel. It also allows a NH-L12S, which I’m currently using in it right now. :shrug:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Upsidads posted:

The main thing I'd be worried about is the FE's fan layout doesn't play nicely with the stock configuration because it exhausts straight into the back of the motherboard. There's mods out there that involve various standoffs, either giving you space behind the motherboard to route cables or extending the GPU out to let it breathe.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I decided to buy this pc from this thread. I need to find a case for it to make a cute little PC for my wife.

It's SFF and comes with a cooler that is 112mm in height. I'm looking at various cases and they say this exceeds their height limit but it looks like there's plenty of room in there something like the Sugo.

Will I have issues? Is the height restriction for airflow important? Can someone recommend a cute lil case that holds a full size PSU and this?

Edit- a bit more poking I think this will do it but if anyone has any thoughts I appreciate them!

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Core-Computer-Chassis-CA-1B8-00S6WN-01/dp/B015UDUAKG/ref=psdc_3012292011_t1_B00U8IS89E

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 5, 2022

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Scythe posted:

Assuming the Mesh is the answer, how ridiculous is it to go with air cooling even though it's clearly built with a radiator in mind? I'm thinking that an AIO is pointless for a 12400, so was considering going with an NH-L12S and a couple of 140mm fans in the front and calling it a day, but wanted to sanity check this.

Check out the machines and more YouTube channel. He has a video about air cooling the mesh and more build videos. I’d cooling is releasing a is-55 argb cooler soon that might beat the others.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Air cooling is perfectly possible in the Meshilicious with some low-profile coolers. Just make sure you still put two exhaust fans in. They're basically essential to making the case work.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 6, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Thank you Butterfly Valley I will do this.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
My first SFF build using a Lian Li Tu150. B550/5600x/32gb ram/ MSI 3080. Yeah it's a bit overkill but it's mostly second hand parts with some creative shopping. Really fun to build in, in some ways easier than a mid tower, helps to have smallish hands, I think I did decent cable management so there is decent airflow. Not too much RBG, the 3080 is pretty comical in there but it fits! The carrying handle is awesome and i'm surprised most SFFs don't seem to have them. Motherboard was just about right with the headers I wanted, only complaint is that the front audio connector is in an awkward place. I think the case could use an extra half inch or so taller feet so the GPU can draw in more air but I didn't really see temps much higher than my mid tower during testing.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

not super overkill :D maybe the RAM is too much but it depends on what you do

--
anyone mounted their NCase M1 to the underside of a standing desk? looking for any advice / recommendations for mounts, installation tips, caveats, etc.

i know i'll probably want to buy an AIO to reduce stress from the cooler on the mother board...

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Speaking of Ncase m1, I was at Microcenter last night and bought all my parts.

anyone have a heads up on a good fit and available 3080 ?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cheese Thief posted:

Speaking of Ncase m1, I was at Microcenter last night and bought all my parts.

anyone have a heads up on a good fit and available 3080 ?

Get a proper tower cooler, the NH-L9a is for low power HTPCs or when you're extremely tight on CPU cooler height.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

yeah there is no way that the NH-L9a is going to keep that 5800X cool unless you're disabling PBO & co

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
What might you suggest? I was looking through pcparts picker and see
“Noctua NH-C14S, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A14 PWM 140mm Fan”
Is it recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Cheese Thief posted:

What might you suggest? I was looking through pcparts picker and see
“Noctua NH-C14S, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A14 PWM 140mm Fan”
Is it recommended?

I’m using these to cool a 5800x and 5900x at near silent operation under load, temps topping out at around 80-83c. Though I think I swapped the Noctua fans for Arctics due to my constant need to tinker.