Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Finally upgraded my 7 year old computer, previously and i3 with an amd 6870 in an ncase m1. It's now an 8700k with an asrock fatal1ty z370 and an evga 1080. I used a be quiet dark rock tf cpu heatsink which doesn't quite fit without modification. I had to dremel off about 1/8" of the lower heatsink in order to clear the ram's heatsink. The cooler clears the gpu by about 1/4".

It's really quiet, the loudest thing in my computer now is an old laptop hdd I had been using for extra storage, which will probably be removed soon. It's a wee bit faster now, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Is there any case/chassis similar to an Intel NUC kit that takes a 3.5" drive?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Less Fat Luke posted:

Is there any case/chassis similar to an Intel NUC kit that takes a 3.5" drive?

lol that would be gigantic, and stupid. Surely you mean a 2.5"?

If not, uhhh, get an external chassis for the drive and duct-tape it to a NUC?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Zero VGS posted:

lol that would be gigantic, and stupid. Surely you mean a 2.5"?

If not, uhhh, get an external chassis for the drive and duct-tape it to a NUC?
Nah I definitely mean 3.5 - the old Mac Minis were about the size I want (though they haven't made that form factor in a long time). So not NUC size necessarily but whatever would fit :)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

you're probably better off with a drive toaster

preferably one of those horizontal lay-flat ones

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Instead of a gaming SFF, how stupid would it be to run something like a NUC with an external GPU? I'm talking GTX 1080 class GPU.

I figure there's always an overhead with an external GPU but it seems so much easier to manage the temperature, and so I would guess less thermal throttle. Maybe it gets even in the end?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Asus VivoMini VM45 takes a 3.5" drive.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
eGPUs don’t give you the bandwidth for demanding games. They’ll render your .psds or premiere files like crazy though

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Surely someone like TechReport has done a review on an external gpu right?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just wait for the hades canyon NUC :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Olivil posted:

Instead of a gaming SFF, how stupid would it be to run something like a NUC with an external GPU? I'm talking GTX 1080 class GPU.

I figure there's always an overhead with an external GPU but it seems so much easier to manage the temperature, and so I would guess less thermal throttle. Maybe it gets even in the end?

I'm with you here but eGPUs lose a good 30% performance off the top and have their own wonky build requirements and compatibility issues. Then your CPU will get taxed enough to cause problems bc of heat management and you'll be spending more making the eGPU stuff work instead of just shoving it all into an RVZ01 or whatever. But man I want to make it work.

I have a 7700k and 1080 in an ITX and game on a 144Hz 1440p monitor (gsync). CPU only gets higher than 70C when the room gets hot. I think I just really want a NUC for some reason.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

jokes posted:

I'm with you here but eGPUs lose a good 30% performance off the top and have their own wonky build requirements and compatibility issues. Then your CPU will get taxed enough to cause problems bc of heat management and you'll be spending more making the eGPU stuff work instead of just shoving it all into an RVZ01 or whatever. But man I want to make it work.

I have a 7700k and 1080 in an ITX and game on a 144Hz 1440p monitor (gsync). CPU only gets higher than 70C when the room gets hot. I think I just really want a NUC for some reason.

We have very similar builds. I'm using ML08+1080+7600k. What kind of OC were you able to sustain, and what CPU cooler do you use?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
CPU never goes above 68C on my 8600k at 4.8ghz on a z370 fatality board and an old lovely h60 corsair in a phanteks evolv shift, with an asus 1080 turbo.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Olivil posted:

Most GPU enclosures are basically the same size and price as the DAN Case, so I don't see the benefits outweighing separating the GPU and downgrading the processor to a NUC class CPU.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Llamadeus posted:

Most GPU enclosures are basically the same size and price as the DAN Case, so I don't see the benefits outweighing separating the GPU and downgrading the processor to a NUC class CPU.

My DANCase is coming any day now and I couldn't be more giddy. Sadly, I won't be transferring my PC to it until later this year when I grab a new GPU.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Yep so I bought a DAN A4 v3, should receive it in June, see you then!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I hope GPU prices return to sanity. I didn't buy a particular version of the 1080 Ti when it first came out waiting for the price to drop after the initial release and welp lol RIP.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Olivil posted:

You're going to be CPU bottlenecking yourself on a lot of games with the standard NUCs (anything except Skull Canyon) since they use 15W U-series processors. It looks like there are Kaby Lake-R models out now so you could get a quad-core, but from what I've read the 15W quads run much slower under prolonged load than 35-45W ones. It might not hold a 1050 or 1060 back much depending on the application, but still I think a laptop with a 7700HQ and mobile 1060 would be cheaper than the NUC+enclosure+GPU and probably perform better.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 6, 2018

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I got a 1080 Ti hybrid because I didn't see any end to the cryptocurrency mining boom back in September, and while I was kinda hating myself for buying a $800 graphics card (why bother with a $500 1070 when the Ti was now so close in price?). And now, I'm just shaking my head at how much worse it got but glad I wasn't wrong either.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I finally got a second M2 drive and no longer have any Sata or sata power cables in my Ncase. I was somehow expecting it to make everything a lot cleaner but it’s not a big difference. One day they need to start cleaning up power delivery cables.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Llamadeus posted:

So much this. NUC + external GPU makes no sense vs a mini-ITX build in an Dan A4. The NUC solution would be much more unwieldy; use non-standard parts, and be slower.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I wonder what happened to all the goons who were going on and on about using a Skull Canyon NUC with a razer core. Did they all realize they overpaid and performance was lack luster and shut up?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

I wonder what happened to all the goons who were going on and on about using a Skull Canyon NUC with a razer core. Did they all realize they overpaid and performance was lack luster and shut up?

I mean, the main thing is that the Razer Core and friends are all like, $10 worth of parts. If they became commoditized like external hard drive chassis, it'd be a decent value combo.

Here's someone doing eGPU to M.2 for $49 shipped, it's only a matter of time before we see cheap eGPU TB3: https://www.ebay.com/itm/R3G-laptop...KV7Kxs1-wU67Q8w

Looks like if you make a DIY box, the guts to a real TB3 eGPU is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Akitio-Thu...6EAAOSwkV5aa9Mk

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Alright so for those interested, DAN just emailed the newsletter with the full changes for the A4 SFX v3:

quote:

What's new?
With v3 we try to reduce our production time and lower the retail price. Therefor the v3 comes with a brand new riser made by Lian Li. The newest revision of the A4-SFX design preserves the layout and configuration of the v2 design.

- Lian Li PCIe 16x Gen3 riser (black PCB and cabes)
- Adjustments to the USB3.0 internal cable to be compatible with Asetek 92mm AIO
- Improvements to the power button to optimise the pressure point

Talking about the Asetek 545LC, anybody knows where to buy one in Canada? Ordering one directly from Asetek comes down to about 140$ USD with shipping, which is ridiculous...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Not to throw shade, but I'd be skeptical of that Lian Li riser... I've tested multi-shielded risers of that length and they all have trouble doing a full PCIe 3X, often the screen will blank out and I'll need to turn things down to 2X in the BIOS. I'd be almost positive it ain't gonna work with 4X when that's out. The previous 3M-brand riser is expensive but it always works because it uses twinaxial cable which is way more crosstalk resistant.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

The Lian Li riser also use twin-axial shielding, here is Dan's post on SFFForum:

dondan posted:

Here are the first pictures of the new riser cables for the A4-SFX v3.
The cables are using Twin-Axial shielding and are able to handle PCIe 16x Gen3 without any problems.

I tested the cables in a long torture test 168 hours in Futuremark on a GTX 1070 and on a GTX 1050 (only powering through riser) without any problems.

Fingers crossed! :)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Olivil posted:

The Lian Li riser also use twin-axial shielding, here is Dan's post on SFFForum:

Fingers crossed! :)

Oh, well then, great work. That could be great news for SFF in general if Lian Li is able to crank those out for anyone. 3M charges gently caress You prices because they were the only game in town, nice to have competition.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My mom's lovely desktop is on its last legs, and I've finally convinced her to let me build something smaller, quieter, and more reliable for her. I have the parts lined up, and I was looking at the Node 202 for the case. I just have one question, though: you can buy it with a 450w PSU included... so is this PSU any good? I'm trying to save her as much money as I can (while also keeping this thing small, as her space is limited), and that'd shave off a good chunk of the price.

She's not using her computer for anything more than simple grandma stuff like checking her email and ordering things from Amazon, so she's not going to use that 450w by any stretch of the imagination; I'm just unfamiliar with the quality of it. I don't want it blowing up on her, in other words. Anyone have any experience with it?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What about a cheap laptop?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone seen this yet?

The new Intel Nucs with Radeon Vega and HBM 2 in them:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12226/intels-hades-canyon-nucs-with-radeon-graphics-are-official-799999-shipping-in-spring-2018

The one thing that seems like it could be a really good application for them... they are within 100w TDP and Intel is touting that they can run VR well, so you could build a battery pack for them and run around with it as a fanny-pack PC.

Of course, $800 / $1000 while still not including storage/ram and no upgradability aside from those is a little steep, but that's an awfully small form factor.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone seen this yet?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12226/intels-hades-canyon-nucs-with-radeon-graphics-are-official-799999-shipping-in-spring-2018

The one thing that seems like it could be a really good application for them... they are within 100w TDP and Intel is touting that they can run VR well, so you could build a battery pack for them and run around with it as a fanny-pack PC.

Of course, $800 / $1000 while still not including storage/ram and no upgradability aside from those is a little steep, but that's an awfully small form factor.

By the time they’re out, no one is going to want to pay that much for RX560-570 performance, unless laptop RAM is somehow that much cheaper.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Gonkish posted:

My mom's lovely desktop is on its last legs, and I've finally convinced her to let me build something smaller, quieter, and more reliable for her. I have the parts lined up, and I was looking at the Node 202 for the case. I just have one question, though: you can buy it with a 450w PSU included... so is this PSU any good? I'm trying to save her as much money as I can (while also keeping this thing small, as her space is limited), and that'd shave off a good chunk of the price.

She's not using her computer for anything more than simple grandma stuff like checking her email and ordering things from Amazon, so she's not going to use that 450w by any stretch of the imagination; I'm just unfamiliar with the quality of it. I don't want it blowing up on her, in other words. Anyone have any experience with it?

why not a nuc? I think you can mount it on the back of a monitor too. I imagine it’s a price difference but I haven’t spec’d a low cost unit in awhile.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
NUCs do come with a VESA mount in the box.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, I recently put together a NUC for my mum for web browsing and office poo poo. Takes up exactly as much room as a keyboard/mouse and monitor would on their own and is much more ergonomic than a laptop since the screen can be adjusted independently of the keyboard (she was using a laptop and that was the primary reason she wanted to replace it). The only thing you need to do is make sure the monitor has way to attach a VESA plate without removing the stand.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
I can only get my i7 8700k up to 4.5 GHz, under a Noctua D9l, in a Thermaltake Core v1. This is at about 1.3v and if I push it any higher the temperature goes above 90. I'm using a z370i Strix, and I'm wondering if anyone here with a similar setup has achieved better results than I. I'm having a lot of trouble with voltage, or doesn't seem to be sticking to the adaptive or offset limits I'm setting.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone seen this yet?

looks promising but for me it all depends on the fan noise. hopefully it won't be as bad as the previous i7 nucs.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Salted_Pork posted:

I can only get my i7 8700k up to 4.5 GHz, under a Noctua D9l, in a Thermaltake Core v1. This is at about 1.3v and if I push it any higher the temperature goes above 90. I'm using a z370i Strix, and I'm wondering if anyone here with a similar setup has achieved better results than I. I'm having a lot of trouble with voltage, or doesn't seem to be sticking to the adaptive or offset limits I'm setting.

I got 4.7 GHz. Same MB as you, but with a Cryorig C1 and 120mm Corsair ML fan, in a Ncase M1, plus three 120mm ML case fans. The CPU temps weren't too bad, I think mid-80s. But holy poo poo the thing sounded like a vacuum cleaner on max, and the VRM heatsinks were almost too hot to touch, so I kinda gave up after that. But then again maximising OC isn't really the point of SFF either, so I'm kinda okay with it as it is.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Salted_Pork posted:

Delid it.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Salted_Pork posted:

Are you on the most up-to-date BIOS version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

Are you on the most up-to-date BIOS version?

Probs not, looking at the ASUS website I'm surprised there are so many BIOS versions after only 4 months. I thought it was something you could go your life without updating, but I guess Meltdown changed that. Do you think it will make a big difference though?