Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«69 »
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I came here to laugh at you

bug chaser chaser posted:

This motherboard shortage is rough. Have everything for my NCASE build but a mono right now and they are going for $200 over MSRP on eBay now

Iím hoping that BLT comes through, but are there any other places I should check?

The video card shortage is quickly cementing the notion that I should just get by on my 970 until more info about Ampere/Big Navi comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

It's looking like the B550 mITX boards that actually have the cool new B550 features (front panel USB-C, 2.5Gbit NIC, 2x m.2 NVMe, faster WiFi) are going to be quite a bit more expensive than B450 boards:

MSI B550I Gaming Edge Wifi: rumored @ $199
Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming: rumored @ $229
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax: haven't seen a rumor yet, but I imagine it won't be much less than the MSI board

There's going to be a budget ASRock version as well which will probably be more in line with current B450 board costs, but it doesn't appear to offer much over current B450 boards.

So if you can get a B450 board right now at MSRP, it might not be worth waiting for B550 if you aren't prepared to pay like $70-80+ more. I was considering returning my B450 that just arrived, but I'm just gonna go ahead and build now.

As far as getting a B450 mITX board, I added the 4 options to my favorite parts list on PC parts picker and just checked once or twice a day. I saw the Asus and/or ASRock boards (mostly the ASRock) come back in stock for < 24 hours around once a week for a few weeks before I pulled the trigger. So it seems they are possible to find if you're diligent, but maybe the shortage is getting even worse.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The only hope I have of tidying this up is getting custom fittings, and custom cables. There's no daylight. None.

Pretty sure I used the wrong screws here. Gonna swap those when I got off work.

I also need cable combs.

For anyone wondering, the graphics card is salvage from the SFF this new one is replacing. I'll be doing the graphics card (and a cooling loop update) at a later date. It also desperately needs fans for the bottom intake--the amount of obstruction from those cables is directing hot air into the bottom around the GPU.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 27, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Warmachine posted:

The only hope I have of tidying this up is getting custom fittings, and custom cables. There's no daylight. None.

Pretty sure I used the wrong screws here. Gonna swap those when I got off work.

I also need cable combs.

For anyone wondering, the graphics card is salvage from the SFF this new one is replacing. I'll be doing the graphics card (and a cooling loop update) at a later date. It also desperately needs fans for the bottom intake--the amount of obstruction from those cables is directing hot air into the bottom around the GPU.

I have a Streacom DA2 and I was looking into that alphacool eisbaer LT setup for both the GPU and CPU as well but I hadnít seen very many pics of it actually being used in SFF machines. Are you planning to add whatever your new GPU is to the loop there?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GutBomb posted:

I have a Streacom DA2 and I was looking into that alphacool eisbaer LT setup for both the GPU and CPU as well but I hadnít seen very many pics of it actually being used in SFF machines. Are you planning to add whatever your new GPU is to the loop there?

Yeah. I'm going to rerun the tubing as well, since I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a somewhat specific layout to accomplish what I want.

«69 »