Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
FYI the Asrock B550 ITX Phantom Gaming mobo (Aka, the best one out there so long as you don’t care about BIOS flashback) is down to 169 on both Newegg and the ‘Zon. In terms of Zen3, any board you buy today should have the Bios update needed to run it limited, so flashback shouldn’t be necessary. (Also, Amazon holiday return policy is in effect so you have until January to figure out if I’m wrong and deal with replacing it).

If you’re planning an AMD SFF build this fall, it’s a real good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I looked at that board for a hypothetical refresh of my Dan A4 build, it's cool unless you need the SATA ports in which case the angled connectors are a huge headache in the very small cases.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I might be just dumb but I’ve been struggling to find comparisons of the NR200 and NR200P. Is there much of a difference in thermals between the two, because if not I might just buy whichever comes back in stock first.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

They're the same case. The P comes with a tempered glass side panel (in addition to the normal vented side panel), riser cable for vertically mounted GPU setups, and an additional 120mm fan for the top exhaust

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sphyre posted:

They're the same case. The P comes with a tempered glass side panel (in addition to the normal vented side panel), riser cable for vertically mounted GPU setups, and an additional 120mm fan for the top exhaust

I know, I’m wondering about the difference in thermals between the vented panel and the glass one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ijyt posted:

I know, I’m wondering about the difference in thermals between the vented panel and the glass one.

I'm pretty sure optimumtech has covered that, and it depends on what orientation you're going with for the GPU more than anything. From the builds and testing I've seen on YouTube it seems you can make most builds work though given how much flexibility there is for different cooling solutions in the case. But the vented panel is by its very nature going to be the best for thermals most of the time.

My nr200p just arrived today, I figured it was worth the extra money to have additional options in the future, but I'll probably not be using any of them for my first build in it. Feels like an excellent quality case though and I'm excited to actually get the components to fill it.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ijyt posted:

I might be just dumb but I’ve been struggling to find comparisons of the NR200 and NR200P. Is there much of a difference in thermals between the two, because if not I might just buy whichever comes back in stock first.

The NR200 comes with the vented glass, a single 92mm rear fan and a single top 120mm fan.

The NR200P comes with both the vented and glass side panel along with two top 120mm fans, no 92mm fan though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ijyt posted:

Vented will be better, but if you buy the p you get both, so if you're concerned about the difference in thermals, and not price sensitive, grats, there is no difference, just don't use the glass panel.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

My nr200 just arrived. They shipped the wrong color but otherwise seems nice.

The panel fastening mechanism makes me so nervous though, I can totally see those plastic nubs snapping off. What's so bad about screws anyways?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I actually had no idea the NR200P came with both vented and glass panels, good to know!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Hello fellow SFF enthusiasts,

With the announcement of Razers mini-ITX im wanting to build an ITX finally. However it doesnt look like that box will be shipping to the UK anytime soon.

Does anyone have any case recommendations that are similar to that? Ive been looking at the In WIn A1 Plus case too.

Current parts i have

Ryzen 3900x (i already have a Mini-ITX case thanks to ordering the wrong part)
Corsair RGB RAM
Corsair H100i SE
EVGA 1080ti FTW3

i dont have a SF PSU so will need to get one of those

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Internal layout looks basically identical to the CoolerMaster NR200P

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

Internal layout looks basically identical to the CoolerMaster NR200P

hmm yes it does. Thanks.

Also just found out via Razer support that their itx is shipping worldwide come november so might hold off.

Hnnngg, that being said. That CM box is nice. But is also not available until late Nov

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 13, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

hmm yes it does. Thanks.

Also just found out via Razer support that their itx is shipping worldwide come november so might hold off.

Hnnngg, that being said. That CM box is nice

I do like the sharp lines of the Razer though, but woof that price. That's entering MCase and FormD territory.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

I do like the sharp lines of the Razer though, but woof that price. That's entering MCase and FormD territory.

That RGB premium yo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I dunno, I feel you'd be better off with the NR200 and a lightstrip, the Razer case is still steel, at that price I'd be hoping for aluminium.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

I dunno, I feel you'd be better off with the NR200 and a lightstrip, the Razer case is still steel, at that price I'd be hoping for aluminium.

Yeah maybe, im a huge razer fanboi though and have a few things that hook into Synapse though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Hello fellow SFF enthusiasts,

With the announcement of Razers mini-ITX im wanting to build an ITX finally. However it doesnt look like that box will be shipping to the UK anytime soon.

Does anyone have any case recommendations that are similar to that? Ive been looking at the In WIn A1 Plus case too.

Current parts i have

Ryzen 3900x (i already have a Mini-ITX case thanks to ordering the wrong part)
Corsair RGB RAM
Corsair H100i SE
EVGA 1080ti FTW3

i dont have a SF PSU so will need to get one of those

I just looked at the Razer site, and yeah that's an NR200 with the serial numbers filed off, and a premium tacked on for the snek logo.

Get the NR200 and be happier with yourself.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I just looked at the Razer site, and yeah that's an NR200 with the serial numbers filed off, and a premium tacked on for the snek logo.

Get the NR200 and be happier with yourself.

Yeah, the shape is slightly different, the Razer one doesnt have the rounded edges.

I do like the white option for the NR200 though

Id have to go for the NR200p as i want a glass side.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ill also have to get an SF PSU, PC partpicker figures my current build uses about 450W, judging for miscalculations i figured i would be safe with a 650W

Something like this

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-evga-supernova-650gm-fully-modular-80-plus-gold-single-rail-541a-92mm-fan-sfx-psu

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 13, 2020

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The best thing about the nr200 is the insane airflow and cooling potential. In fairness to razer, I guess it makes sense to wait for reviews but just looking at it, ventilation looks way more restricted.

A bunch of high power parts in that case doesn't look like a good time unless I'm missing something.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Ill also have to get an SF PSU, PC partpicker figures my current build uses about 450W, judging for miscalculations i figured i would be safe with a 650W

Something like this

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-evga-supernova-650gm-fully-modular-80-plus-gold-single-rail-541a-92mm-fan-sfx-psu

If you're planning to upgrade to a 30xx at any point, I might choose to hold out for a Corsair SF750. They will hopefully reappear at sane prices in the next few months, but if you're lucky you can sometimes grab one much closer to MSRP. The extra overhead is nice for overclocking if you plan on doing any of that.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Warmachine posted:

If you're planning to upgrade to a 30xx at any point, I might choose to hold out for a Corsair SF750. They will hopefully reappear at sane prices in the next few months, but if you're lucky you can sometimes grab one much closer to MSRP. The extra overhead is nice for overclocking if you plan on doing any of that.

Specifically a 3080 or 3090 - the 3070 is supposedly going to draw much less power (somewhere in the 230w range) and should be more than fine with ~600w.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I mean my 1080ti is still kicking lumps out of everything i throw at it.

But future proofing isnt the worst idea i guess.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

I mean my 1080ti is still kicking lumps out of everything i throw at it.

But future proofing isnt the worst idea i guess.

Power supplies can last quite a while--Corsair's come with a 7-year warranty IIRC. It's almost the one part you can do that with.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VorpalFish posted:

Specifically a 3080 or 3090 - the 3070 is supposedly going to draw much less power (somewhere in the 230w range) and should be more than fine with ~600w.

As long as you're not trying to run an Intel chip OC'ed to the moon, plenty of people are running 3080's on a 600W PSU without issue. You can't really overclock them meaningfully, anyhow. In fact, a bunch of people have been able to undervolt and shave up to 50W off the things with only low single-digit performance loss, which is hilarious. If you're going AMD, overclocking their CPUs is basically a pointless exercise, too.

I mean, all things being equal, sure, a 750W unit over a 650W makes sense. But if your choice is 650W or nothing, or the price delta is considerable, a 650W is unlikely to actually limit you.

Also not sure what the market in the UK looks like, but in the US Seasonic has a SFF 650 for basically the same price as the EVGA one, and Seasonic has a 10 year warranty, which you simply can't beat.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
That Razer case is also like... 30% bigger than an NR200 which is large by "SFF" standards in a lot of cases.

Basically, Small Motherboard != Small Case, so don't be fooled by the ITX restriction into thinking that it's a particularly small. A closer analogue is probably something like the NZXT H210.

That's not a bad thing, per se, but be aware of what you're getting.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Since there's no definitive date that the NR200p will be back in stock in the UK does anyone have any other suggestions?

Basically it just needs to be large enough to house a 320mm GPU. And preferably not a cube. I also have a motherboard that's not got a vertical GPU mount

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Power supplies can last quite a while--Corsair's come with a 7-year warranty IIRC. It's almost the one part you can do that with.

Hell my AX760 came with a 10 year warranty. It's currently on year 7 of it's life.

CyberPingu posted:

Since there's no definitive date that the NR200p will be back in stock in the UK does anyone have any other suggestions?

Basically it just needs to be large enough to house a 320mm GPU. And preferably not a cube. I also have a motherboard that's not got a vertical GPU mount

Man, you're just 3mm too long for an NCase M1 :(

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 13, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CyberPingu posted:

honestly, I went through this conundrum recently (I don't need something that can fit 320mm, but I have an existing card I'm sticking with for now that's 275x137 - in other words, a wide boy), and there really aren't that many options, which is why the NR200 is so compelling in the first place. you might be able to fit in an NZXT 210 as a compromise for now, if you're okay moving slightly out of the realm of "SFF." do want to watch the slots though; the 210 has two slots and says up to 44mm for your GPU height

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

Hell my AX760 came with a 10 year warranty. It's currently on year 7 of it's life.

Man, you're just 3mm too long for an NCase M1 :(

I mean the other option is sell the 1080Ti and buy a smaller card.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

The good news is most cases with a vertical configuration come with riser cables to make that happen. If your card is a 2.2 slot, you could just barely fit it inside the Ncase M1 if you remove the front IO (3.5mm, USB-C, and 2 USB-A ports), which you might think of as the grandfather of premium SFF cases and the direct ancestor of the NR200. They don't have a tempered glass option though.

The Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV SHIFT might also suit your needs. The profile is eye catching, and it has tempered glass if that's your thing. IIRC you need to give some thought to cooling though unless you're going full custom loop (but that's the price you pay for tempered glass).

Aside from that, most of the stuff normally considered SFF (sub-20L volume) isn't able to fit a long GPU. If you're not married to getting the approval of your peers/Reddit, the NZXT H210i might be your bag. This looks like a traditional mid tower, just smaller.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Warmachine posted:

The Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV SHIFT might also suit your needs. The profile is eye catching, and it has tempered glass if that's your thing. IIRC you need to give some thought to cooling though unless you're going full custom loop (but that's the price you pay for tempered glass).

I am trying to build in this case now (pending parts). Finding this case is a pain in the rear end right now, to the point where I ended up having to buy it on eBay. It's beautiful, though, I'll give it that much.

That said, it looks like it can only support an ever so slightly thicker than 2-slot GPU (like, maybe 5mm larger). Width and length are no issues, though.

Apparently temps are much improved if you're willing to take the front and/or rear panels to a local CNC shop and have them mill vent holes in them.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

As long as you're not trying to run an Intel chip OC'ed to the moon, plenty of people are running 3080's on a 600W PSU without issue. You can't really overclock them meaningfully, anyhow. In fact, a bunch of people have been able to undervolt and shave up to 50W off the things with only low single-digit performance loss, which is hilarious. If you're going AMD, overclocking their CPUs is basically a pointless exercise, too.

I mean, all things being equal, sure, a 750W unit over a 650W makes sense. But if your choice is 650W or nothing, or the price delta is considerable, a 650W is unlikely to actually limit you.

Also not sure what the market in the UK looks like, but in the US Seasonic has a SFF 650 for basically the same price as the EVGA one, and Seasonic has a 10 year warranty, which you simply can't beat.

As much as I love seasonic and would buy them absolutely everywhere I could, I don't believe they make a true sfx unit under their own brand, just sfx-l, which can get you in to trouble depending on your case.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The more I think about it the more I might cut my losses and sell the 1080ti and get a 3070 or something

Which will give me more case options.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

As much as I love seasonic and would buy them absolutely everywhere I could, I don't believe they make a true sfx unit under their own brand, just sfx-l, which can get you in to trouble depending on your case.

I think you're right: the Focus 650 that I got from them is a SFX-L. Fits fine in the Evolv Shift, though! Well, except for the stupid power plug bit, which needs to be flipped around on the case side if you want the PSU fan not to be ingesting hot case air.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Anyone got any experience or knowledge of the Fractal Design era cases?

I imagine thermals in that might be an issue as the side doesn't have much give to it

Yeah from reviews that case looks like it has a lot of issues.

Shame, looks nice.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Urgh...I don't know what to do.

I either tread water and see if the n200 comes back in stock. Or sell my GPU and buy a smaller form card and a NCase m1

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CyberPingu posted:

Urgh...I don't know what to do.

I either tread water and see if the n200 comes back in stock. Or sell my GPU and buy a smaller form card and a NCase m1

you can join me in giving up, buying an NZXT 510 and a micro ATX board, and continuing to read this thread anyways for maximum FOMO :shepface:

(I actually haven't actually bought that stuff yet and I've genuinely been thinking about sticking a mini ITX board in a cheap-rear end ATX case as a stopgap until the NR200 comes back, but otoh I'll feel like an idiot if I never get around to upgrading and I'm just running an ITX board in a bigass case)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

you can join me in giving up, buying an NZXT 510 and a micro ATX board, and continuing to read this thread anyways for maximum FOMO :shepface:

(I actually haven't actually bought that stuff yet and I've genuinely been thinking about sticking a mini ITX board in a cheap-rear end ATX case as a stopgap until the NR200 comes back, but otoh I'll feel like an idiot if I never get around to upgrading and I'm just running an ITX board in a bigass case)

I currently have a micro atx case and board, but the issue is space. The rig is currently in a cupboard and not getting very good ventilation so i want something i can put behind a monitor on my desk (or at least between monitor and wall