Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
I feel like any SFF thread can't be complete without at least mentioning Shuttle. They pretty much created the SFF market almost 15 years ago with the SV24, and they've been pushing out decent SFF PCs since then. For a while they were pretty much the only game in town, but they've kinda fallen out of the news in the past few years. I always assumed they would close up shop, but lately they've been branching out into NUC-size and other slim style PCs, and seem to be still going strong.

I actually had an SV24, and man what an amazing piece of kit that was compared to anything else you got from the retailers of the day (CompUSA, Gateway, Packard Bell, etc...) Yeah, it was a little loud and didn't quite have the build quality later models would have, but I was hooked. I've owned 5 models in total (SV24, SN45G, SN25P, SP35P2 Pro, SZ77R5), and every single one has been rock solid. I still have the SN45G 12 years later and it works fine, used to be the only thing I had with a serial port until I realised the SZ77R5 still has a COM header on the mobo. They used to be the only things you could find with higher wattage SFF PSUs, and even now they're one of the only ones that offer things like 4 DIMM slots in the SFF space. The biggest problem with the older models was the inability to upgrade the motherboard, but the past few generations have mini-ITX support, so it means you're no longer stuck with a very expensive paperweight after a few years.

With all the other SFF options these days, it's getting harder to justify the usually higher cost for a Shuttle barebones, but it can be worth it if say you absolutely need 64GB RAM and 4 DIMM slots, or 2 PCIe slots, or just don't want to build everything up from scratch. And they're not too crazy expensive, the top of the line SZ170R8 is a 14L case with a 500W PSU and Z170 mobo for around $440, which seems reasonable.

Luckily my SZ77R5 was the first model that supported mITX, so I've finally got a much cheaper upgrade path than I used to. I'll probably use this case until the PSU dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000

Karsh posted:

I'm planning on a 6700k/GTX 1070 build. I may overclock them slightly, so I've been looking at 600W power supplies.

You'll draw nowhere near 600W with that setup, probably not even 300W. For example, the [H] review with a 6700K overclocked to 4.7GHz and the stock 1070 hit 250W at the wall, which is only like 220W actual power draw. Similar, HardwareCanucks only hit 290W from the wall with a 1070 and 5960X @ 4.3GHz, and that thing draws way more power than a 6700K.

To me, it looks like the 450W supplies would likely be right in the sweet spot, efficiency wise, for a 6700k/1070 combo. Probably wouldn't even hit 50% load with both CPU and GPU at stock, so there's plenty of headroom.

It's absolutely crazy how much power consumption has come down the past couple years. Judging from some old reviews I was just digging through, my old Q6600/8800GTX combo sitting in the closet probably draws as much power at idle as a new 6700K/1070 combo does under load.

JBark fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 31, 2016

JBark
Jun 27, 2000

HalloKitty posted:

Not if you still buy AMD products! An FX 9590 and a 295X2 would cause your power meter to spin like the scene in Christmas Vacation in which Clark turns on his decorations.

What's that come out to be, anyway? Somewhere up near 800W? I really, really want to see someone cram a setup like that in a tiny mITX case now. I can find a few close examples online, but nothing that uses an AMD CPU.

JBark fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 31, 2016

JBark
Jun 27, 2000

Smiles posted:

Waiting for the 2 fan EVGA GTX 1060 to get released so I could grab that, I'd get the short version but the 0rpm mode of the larger one appeals to me

eVGA released a BIOS update for the single fan model to enable 0rpm mode as well:
http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1060-BIOS-Update-Single-Fan-Models-Only-m2520978.aspx

JBark
Jun 27, 2000

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Let's talk about small and silent SFF PCs. Has anyone managed to find a blower style GPU that's better than a 970 that is actually silent at idle, or just very very quiet in general? I managed to get my PC (in a Node 202 case) pretty much 100% silent at idle, but the blower style GPU fan can't be turned off, even after I flashed the BIOS to allow for a 0% fan speed, because it has a hardware limiter that locks it at about 25% fan speed.

Not that I've found. The Founder's 1080 and 1070 are a few dBa quieter than the previous gen reference models, but they're not silent. I've got the MSI 1070 Aero, which is way, way quieter than the blower on my old eVGA 670, but I can still hear it. But my Shuttle has very little in the way of airflow, so a blower is my only option. I will say that even though I can hear it, it's far less distracting than the noise profile of the 670, and there's no comparison under load. With the 670 the fan itself is super loud and annoying under load, but with the 1070 it's really only the air flow I hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000

necrobobsledder posted:

I see a lot of SFF builders using blower based GPU coolers while using an AIO for the CPU. Given that GPUs are a much bigger power consumer than a CPU in a gaming machine why don't more people have hybrid coolers for their GPUs and use a fairly lower profile HSF for the CPU? I ask partly because I think almost every SFF case I've seen like the Louqe Ghost and the NCase M1 were designed where there's no space for the pipes near the GPU and it's basically impossible to buy a smaller end SFF case because of the tubes coming off the GPU. I'm mostly annoyed trying to fit all my crap into a smaller case but it seems inevitable that I'm going to be back in a larger case with sound dampening material and accepting that a HSF that weighs 1 kg is the better all-around option.

I'm going to give the Hunter Duet a try pretty soon in my old Shuttle SZ77R5 case. It's about the only dual block AIO I've run across that will actually fit in a smaller case. No way it will handle high-end stuff with a massive overclock, but I'm planning on a 3700x to go with my 1070, and it should easily handle that, especially since I don't plan on overclocking.

Yeah, it's nothing fancy, fitting in my old case will scratch the modding itch I've had lately, and at $150 here in Oz, it's quite reasonably priced.