Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reL
May 20, 2007

beepsandboops posted:

Nice, what did you do for cooling?

This is my question. I impulse bought a Node 202 a while back and have yet to rebuild my gaming machine into it (which I plan to do), however I've had some buyers remorse as I've realized the degree in which I'd be constrained with my cooling options. This is stupidly obvious in hindsight.

I've been considering utilizing it for an HTPC or workstation build and going with an Ncase M1 (or something similar) when I move on to my gaming pc build, but if it can handle high/top end components without tons of heat I may reconsider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reL
May 20, 2007
So I'm finally building a SFF PC. I wanted an Ncase, but I foolishly purchased a node 202 quite a while ago and I've decided to just build with what I've got. Now after the initial wire-running I, of course, have cooling questions. Yes yes, I know the 202 sub-optimal at best, and I'm planning to work around that. So far I've got 2 of the slim 120mm Noctua's under the GPU, as per usual, and that's done quite a bit to reduce GPU temperatures and overall volume.

As for the rest of the cooling I'm going to bastardize a few other builds I've seen. I'm gonna follow https://imgur.com/gallery/v0ud4 lead and modify a Shuriken 2 rev b to mount to the AM4 socket (with another slim 120mm Noctua, just as he's got it). I'm also planning on trying to fit 2 60x25mm Noctua's to the CPU side vent, which after some looking around I see at least somebody has managed to fit successfully. Now, on to the question:

Most people who've fitted fans to the CPU vent have done so in an exhaust configuration, with the CPU fan acting as an intake. Have any of you tried/found online mounting the CPU fan as an exhaust, and the vent fans as intakes? What are your experiences, if so? I figure this will allow the CPU fan to run safely without any dust filter, and the top intakes would help minimize pressure draw of air from the GPU module of the case. Plus it'd increase pressure underneath the Shuriken fan, which I would imagine would increase its effectiveness (though how much, or even if noticeably so, I don't know).

Any node 202 owners in here tried something like this, with any CPU cooler? Would this put me at high risk of recycling hot air pumped out by the CPU fan being sucked into the intakes on top? I only have real basic cooling experience, mid-tower intake front/bottom exhaust top/back, so working with this smaller chassis muddies the waters a bit. I guess I could mitigate this by running this in a horizontal configuration, but I'm hoping that the intakes won't have the power to cause an impactful feedback loop.

reL
May 20, 2007

I did a node 202 build because I am foolish. I used tridentz ram because it would fit, but then decided to use the big shuriken rev 2 CPU cooler, again because I'm foolish.

I wound up prying the heatspreaders off of the ram. I did not have the RGB version, I imagine that changes things, but it may be an option for you...

reL
May 20, 2007

umbrage posted:

Not confused! I just figure the fans assume they're pulling in (mostly) still air, so the idea of one fan blowing straight into another fan seems very YO DAWG to me. Like, if it was a reasonable strategy, they'd make double-depth double fans for double the cooling. So the idea of two fans throttling themselves independently, that close together, just seemed silly.

I have a 2060 super and the fans were tiny and noisy. I just de-shrouded the GPU and used a splitter that connects the GPU fan header to the case fans allowing them to replace the tiny, high rpm fans the GPU came with. Quieter and lower temperatures in my unscientific testing.

Admittedly my arrangement is a bit YO DAWG as I wedged 140mm fans into the bottom of the case and then purchased 140>120mm shroud to force the flow directly into the gpus heatsink.

reL
May 20, 2007
drat, RIP. Glad I finally got one when the V6s came out.

I guess I should probably grab the iceman res just in case I ever wanna go water cooling, in case the producer of that stops as well.