Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm going to be building a new system in an A4 SFX and I wondered if anyone here can clear this up. I've heard people go both ways as far as whether blower or open-air cards are better in that case. Is there any empirical data on which is better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

I have a strategy for the CPU. It's not going to be cheap, but it's proven. I'll have to look up the model later but there's a really good copper heatsink that comes with a fan too big for the A4 but with a little jiggery pokery or some 3D printed brackets you can mount a slim noctua fan on it.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Stickman posted:

Height is also a concern in a lot of ITX/SFF cases, and tall cards MSI's Gaming or Ventus series will have issues with connector clearance even if they fit fine in length and width. You shouldn't have to worry about that with an H210, though! The easiest way to make sure a model will fit is just too do some googling and see if anybody has put it in your particular case and posted the results :v:

Tell me about it.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I love my sentry, but unfortunately it is perfectly unsuited for the new 2080 due to that flow-through fan blowing straight into a metal plate. I wonder if cutting vents in the back of the case would work.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

teagone posted:

I dunno, I saw this on the r/sffpc subreddit and it made me want to convert my mid-tower Plex server into a SFF PC:

I have that same case for my plex server and can attest to it working very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

If anyone is interested I have a Dan A4 V3 that I really need to sell. I switched to a Dr. Zaber a while back.