Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alright. I've deadlocked with myself on the Dancase A4.

Make or break my decision one way or another, please.

Grab an M1 and be happy with it, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

This EVGA cards are great. Reviews indicate that they run as well as the longer cards, without throttling.

Some people on NewEgg have complained of the cards hitting 95 degrees and throttling, but I take newegg user reviews with a grain of salt. Even if you do get a bad card, EVGA's warranty is great.

The only reason I went with a larger MSI dual fan card is because I have a Nano S, and there would only be a 1/2" gap between the card and the Power supply. I wasn't comfortable with that, and the larger card meant I would have one unencumbered fan.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So I’m starting to loosely plan a build with an NR200P, a Ryzen 3600, and whatever midrange card is the best option come this summer. Aircooled.

Is there any reason to consider an SFX-L power supply? I’d normally go that directions because I really dislike fan noise, but it looks like the SF series are generally very quiet, and an SFX-L might interfere with top fans.

Am I off base in my thoughts here?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Got it. Since this is a longer-term plan, I think I’ll be patient on the availability.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Okay, thread, I need some help.

My current PC is starting to show it's age, so it's time to upgrade. I recently reworked my desk and realized I have space for a small ITX case on the corner. I've decided on getting an NCase M1 because the front ports are at the base, which works better for me with the case on my desk. I want to be able to use the USB-C port.

Here's kind of where I am right now:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($228.86 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card -- This is the card from my current build. I plan to replace it with a GTX 3600 or whatever the equivalent AMD card is after the current mess settles down.
Case: NCASE M1 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($138.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $800.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-27 14:37 EST-0500

More than anything, I need suggestions on how to handle cooling. I definitely hate fan noise, but also the PC is only on when I'm playing games. I'm open to an AIO cooler if it is the best option, but I am concerned about pump noise.

I'll also take advice on parts substitution. I started thinking about this about an hour ago when I had to do a hard reset yet again because hitting mute on the keyboard caused a lockup.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Thanks for the link. My knowledge on SSDs is at least 5 years out of date now.

So:

Look for a better SSD deal.
Noctua NH-U9S, C14 or C14S for the CPU cooler.
Be mindful of GPU clearance.

Also, I plan to start with 2 bottom-mounted fans and potentially add one side mount one if I don’t care for the temps I’m getting. But given how little I push my system, I’m not hugely concerned. But I am going to keep reading for a few days before I start ordering parts.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Just preordered my M1. I figure I won’t worry about anything else until after it arrives. I can always move my current i5/1060 over while I wait. I’d only need a new PSU to do that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sphyre posted:

you might want to start the hunt for an SF750 now : - )

Thankfully, I’m planning on a 3060 at most, so an SF600 will be fine.

Already fearing the GPU search, though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

denereal visease posted:

Not really, but it's very case specific. Depending on which case and what you want to put in it, the order of operations could become important. Something like my NCase M1 has a different build process than a case with a more standard layout like the NZXT H210.

Trying real hard not to, but I don't love the SF750's cable bulk hanging out above the 3080's pass-through cooler. Talking myself down to a sleeved 24-pin and unsleeved PCIE power cables but it's still spenno.

Another one because the lighting was good...

need more build pics itt

Hey, what did your final parts list end up being? I presume you have a 120mm fan under the heat sink, and is your rear fan running as intake or exhaust?

My M1 has shipped so I'm starting to put together a finalized parts list.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, that is WAY more PC than I'm aiming for, although I have no real fear of spending money when it's worthwhile.

Here's where I currently am:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($228.86 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: NCASE M1 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua A9x14 29.72 CFM 92 mm Fan ($15.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($76.01 @ Amazon)
Total: $1099.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-09 16:28 EST-0500

Note: the 3060ti is a placeholder until the 3060 is released. I game at 1080 and tend to buy games after they're a few years old, and I think the 3060 is going to be more than adequate for my own needs.

I was going to go with 2 bottom intake fans, then a side intake in the front, the U9S blowing front to back, and the rear fan set to exhaust. Fitting a C14S feels like a huge pita to me, and since I'll likely undervolt the CPU to reduce heat/noise, I feel like the U9S will be more than adequate for me.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 9, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I'll make sure to change that. Probably a victim of PCPartPicker's fit compatibility.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Urgh, NF-A12s are sold out everywhere.

Yep. I’m in the same boat. Need 2 more, but I think I can get by without them to start.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Oh hey, Noctua A12x25s are available on Amazon right now. Downside? Not shipping until mid April.

I did order 2. I’ll reuse some older fans from a prior build until they arrive. My M1 should arrive on Tuesday, and I should have everything else that I need before then.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Started assembling my M1. Some thoughts:

Making stuff fit is a pain in the butt. It’s not too difficult, but it requires some thought and patience.

I hate Noctua’s mounting system, and I’m just gonna use screws.

I cancelled my 2 A12x25 fans and ordered A12x15s. Since it looks like there won’t be a 3060 FE, I feel like I’ll probably want that extra clearance.

I forgot to order the 180 degree 8 pin connectors and and I can’t put my side panel on until it comes.

More than anything, I can’t believe how small this thing is. My Nano S looks huge next to it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

For what it’s worth, I’m waiting on reviews and pricing for the 3060s. If pricing is bad (it probably will be) and benchmarks don’t look good, I’ll spend the extra for a 3060 ti.

Until then it’s an old 1060 that barely fits.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The rubber knob things for the 92 mm fan are only long enough to fit through the back hole, making them very frustrating to pull through.

The 120 mm fans look a lot easier to do, so I’ll probably still use the mounts. I’m venting more than anything.

I also probably did it the most difficult way possible, but did try to follow the directions in the box.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So I have an ncase m1, and there’s nothing wrong with it at all. But… I want to go smaller. No particular reason, I just do.

Going smaller means a sandwich style case. I really like the look of the dancase a4, and I’m not put off by the price or the cooler limitations.

Should I just pull the trigger on that, or are there any other cases I should be looking at? Maybe see what FormD is cooking up?

My only requirement is that the case have at least 1 USB port on or near the front.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I have a Dan-A4, it's good. The main limitation is depth of gpu cooler, it can only take a 2.2 slot card. What do you want to know?

The cpu cooler to get is probably the Alpenfohn Black Ridge. I'd recommend buying or making custom PSU cables.

I’m planning on eventually getting a reference 3070, so depth shouldn’t be an issue. My current 1060 (curse you GPU shortage) will fit easily. I’ve watched some build videos and will definitely look into custom cables.

Are you using a case fan? If you have the Black Ridge cooler, did you replace the fan? Do you find the noise levels acceptable?

That’s pretty much it. I think I’m going to go for it. It looks like a fun build and I love how small the end result is.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Bad idea in a sandwich layout case

Some of the build videos I’ve watched have used these without any issue. Is there info out there that shows why this would be an issue?

Edit: I may be mistaking this for the FormD T1, which I believe let’s you place the GPU on taller standoffs. Either way, my current GPU will be fine, and I’ll research more when it’s time to buy a GPU.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 4, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You could also grab a fanless NUC case if you care about noise that much. They work really well for media PCs.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Pictures do not do the Dan A4 justice. It's an incredibly neat little case.

I will eventually order custom cables, but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with how it is now. I did have two self-inflicted issues. My RAM was too tall, so I had to switch it out with some slightly slower, but shorter, RAM from my son's PC. I also had to remove the PSU bracket to install the MB. I probably should have installed the CPU cooler rotated 180 degrees, but it worked.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I did. I had to adjust the bend in the riser cable to make room for it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Undercoating would help with the GPU heat concerns, too.

Plus it’s stupidly easy to do.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There’s plenty of Zen 2 based prebuilt mini PCs in an equivalent form factor to the NUCs.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So looking forward to 2022, I’m realizing that I don’t really play much in the way of PC games since I finally managed to swear off of mmo’s. I play the occasional indie 2d game and that’s about it.

I’m therefore very curious to see what comes of the Ryzen 6000 series APUs. The rumors seem to indicate that the GPUs are far more than what I need. If they do pan out, I’m seriously contemplating going that route and moving to a truly tiny case.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I am definitely making my own presumptions about future parts. Also hoping for some info during CES.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ASRock DeskMini? Not sure how tiny you want to go.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

We’re going to see some wild custom loop setups with that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Sata drives go into the NAS. It's the m.2 age, old man

I want a NAS that only takes m.2