Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Looking at junking my Bitfenix Prodigy (what a big case for mini itx) and rebuilding in a NCASE M1 as well as doing some upgrades. What cooler setup on a graphics card (looking at a 1070 or 1080) would be better for that case: reference blower, side fans, or AIO liquid/radiator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

El Scotch posted:

What CPU cooler are you using?

If you want minimal headaches use a blower 1070/1080.

Nothing really planned at the moment. Current rig has a CM 212 which from what I've read won't fit.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

The ASRock is probably better in the abstract, but you need to look at the features your specific use case calls for. Bookmark this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1saNUPX6ycN20R1Yu_lNDPpowTfVwmrQiwHYVNAoZenw/edit#gid=0

For example, I doubt you care at all about 6 SATA ports instead of 4, but you might care about having a Type-C USB port (ASRock) vs. having Bluetooth 4.1 support (Asus).

I settled on that Asrock board due to the USB C port. Only two boards have a USB C port at the moment.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Ceros_X posted:

Going to have to second the SF450, I have one and I have never once heard the fan spin up. SF 600 not as good, but unless you're going with an HD PLEX 250W with a Brick you can't beat the semi-fanless mode on the SF450

My Corsair Sf600 in the M1 has been silent.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

big time bisexual posted:

Speaking of unique features, the new crop of Z270 boards finally brought out a mini-ITX board with Thunderbolt 3: the unfortunately Fatal1ty branded ASRock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac. Gigabyte's previous GA-Z170N Gaming 5 also had Alpine Ridge on board but they never had it certified for use with Thunderbolt for some reason, just USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Oh ffs. I built a new box after summer and went with this board's predecessor (because of the USB-C port), but if I had known they would drop one with Thunderbolt, totally would've waited.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

What uses does USB-C or Thunderbolt have in the desktop space? I mean for laptop it makes sense, you have high bandwidth for docking stations, external graphics, monitors and power. But in a desktop, you'd have all of that stuff on the computer itself.

Pro audio gear. Specifically in my case is legacy FireWire gear.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

Searching around, I see plenty of builds where people have gotten the h100i v2 in. Seems as though people like the original more because the tubes are more flexible and the fittings can rotate, but that doesn't mean it's not doable, you'll just have to plan out your approach a little more.

e. While I'm here...

I installed the Fractal Design Celsius s24 a few days ago in my M1. It replaces the Corsair H75 and EVGA 1080 Hybrid Cooler (went back to the FE cooler).

Installing it was a pretty big pain compared to the dual 120mm AIO setup I had previously. The tubes are 400mm in length and pretty stiff, so getting them to play nicely was difficult, especially near the PSU. The fittings rotate, which is ok, but getting the tubes to stay twisted wasn't easy. The 2.5" mounting area is unusable as the radiator is a few mm too long. I used to have both SSDs there, but now one is behind the front panel (rip dvd drive) and the other is just hanging out near the bottom fans.

It fits!

I had a Hybrid kit cooler on my 1080 FE for a while, then went to do a custom loop and noped the hell out of that, I am back to the FE blower on the card. Lost about 175mhz of OC, but oh well.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Fruit Chewy posted:

Yeah the total lack of accompanying documentation for the 2 pound bag of screws was pretty neat. Apparently if you split apart the individual wires of the huge bonded ribbons those cables are more manageable but I just angrily wrangled them instead.

There's a picture guide on their website of what each screw type is used for.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Ended up getting a set of cables from Cable mods for my sf600 a couple years ago when I built my Ncase M1.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Beverly Cleavage posted:

In my earlier post, ncase m1.

I tried to wc a m1 and noped out of that. I wish you luck if you decide to go for it. I know others have, but it was too much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I'm running a direct die 9900k but with a Noctua D15. The temp drops were decent (about 6 or 7 C IIRC) going from a traditional TIM to liquid metal between the cold plate and the die. The CPU was picked up used with the direct die kit and the IHS removed. Running a 5ghz OC, using a dvid offset instead of static voltage. Planning on WC'ing the whole machine in the near future due to the fan noise from the 2080ti despite an undervolt and custom fan curve.

Mounting the cooler was a little more involved than usual, but Rockit's youtube videos were spot on.