Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Probably not. I'm pondering if there's any SFF mITX case that can still be fitted with a water cooling rig to make it near silent even under load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Two M.2 slots means you can put two M.2 drives in your rig. :pseudo:

Seriously though, anything that means less cables is good.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

µATX is correct. mATX is obviously milli-ATX. :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lian-Li was the king of PC cases a bunch of years ago until Fractal came along and dethroned them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

abigserve posted:

Any recommendations for the smallest possible NAS case? 2+ drive bays, no video card required and smaller form factor PSU's could be used. I've been looking around and the fractal node series seem too big for the purpose, ideally I'd like to have it on a shelf above my desk.
Anything wrong with a dedicated NAS device? The Synology Diskstation 416 Slim is tiny, takes 4 2.5" drives and is going to be much cheaper than anything you build yourself.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

2.5" drives are generally considered to less reliable than decent 3.5" drives. You can get higher grade 3.5" drives than 2.5", and for less money.
I've been using nothing but 2.5" drives in my builds for years and haven't had any issues. Anyway the 416 "not slim" is the same device except it takes 3.5" drives instead if you can stand the larger footprint.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 23, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think his point is "Don't buy M2 SATA, buy M2 NVMe"

So for Samsung you want to look at the 960 series instead, though it's considerably more expensive.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

an skeleton posted:

So im still getting a max 90C on core #1 despite my case being entirely open -- does this reaffirm the idea that paste/cpu cooler mounting is likely to blame?
Yes. Although generally you don't gain anything from running an open case versus running a closed case with proper intake/exhaust flow, in many cases it's actually detrimental to your cooling.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

The biggest reason to go PC has always been modularity and upgradability
I used to think the same thing, but for the past ten years or so every time I've gone to upgrade my PC it's turned into a complete rebuild anyway. At least for me the lack of modularity isn't as much of a dealbreaker any more.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

system protocol posted:

Just finished my Node 202 build. Intel Core i7 7700 (undervolted to 1.15v), 32gig Corsair Dominator 3000 DDR4, Asus Strix Z270i, Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition. I was having issues which I believed was a short in the case. It ended up being the display port cable that was preventing the machine from starting. This same cable has worked fine on my other desktop machines. I know there are several types of display port cables and a lot of them are not manufactured to VESA specs. Anyone have an idea where I can find a cable that is or what to look for?
I had the same problem with my computer when I last rebuilt it. Turns out there's a pin in the DP cable that isn't supposed to be connected in a normal GPU<->Display cable because that pin is fed power both from the display and the GPU (meant for powering active adapters). I guess as long as you buy a somewhat reputable brand instead of the bottom shelf china garbage it will be fine, but worst case you can just bring a multimeter into the store and ask to test it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For me they symptom was that the computer would turn on, but turn itself off again a second or two later. No error codes or anything. If i removed the DP cable it would boot fine.

I guess the GPU detected an invalid voltage on the pin in question during self test and signaled a serious error to the system.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

This is the Inwin Gaming Cube A1. Pretty interesting, if only to observe how badly RGB lighting clashes with wood paneling.
Would look much better without the window and with a wooden base matching the top instead.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you can fit a custom loop with CPU and GPU water blocks using a 240mm rad in the C4-H2O case it's going to be interesting, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for a reservoir and pump.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I ordered myself a Define Nano S. I was looking at tinier cases first, but after taking some measurements I figured I'll go with the slightly larger case and save myself the headache of having to use a shoehorn to fit everything.

Gonna build a custom loop cooling both the CPU and GPU (i5 + GTX 1060, no overclocking) with a 240mm rad exhausting through the top vent. It's a modest build I know, but my goal is to get it as quiet as absolutely possible.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NeuralSpark posted:

This. I built a full loop in one with no issue.
Top or front mounted radiator? I just got one myself and I'm hoping I can squeeze an ekwb SE 240 with dual fans into the top.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I encountered a small snag with the Gigabyte GA-H270-Wifi and its rear mounted M2 slot in the Nano S.

Let's hope it doesn't need replacing during the lifetime of the motherboard. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's really neat. I love the expandability so the case can be just as big as you need it to.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Target Practice posted:

I'm not familiar with water cooling GPUs, would there even be enough room in there? I like the Nano S because its a pretty good size (I don't need ultra tiny), but I'd just be worried about fitting a PSU and card and cooling block and cpu cooler all in that vertical space.
I built a custom loop in a Nano S. There's plenty of room, though I'm using a pretty small reservoir.

I put the radiator exhausting out the top which causes the fans to overlap the memory sockets, but apart from having to remove the fan if I need to swap out the modules it's not a huge problem.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Target Practice posted:

Is a setup like that fairly quiet? I wouldn't want to open the top panel of the Nano S for noise control reasons, so that's why I wasn't considering two large radiators. If that's not an issue, I would shell out for nice quiet fans and do something like that. Is it a lot more complicated than like those one piece AIO setups?
It's pretty quiet. One of the main advantages is that the radiator is really efficient it so it doesn't need a lot of airflow. The fans run at about 40% speed at full load which is audible but not loud.

It's definitely a bit trickier to fit than an AIO, but not hard. Do a lot of test fitting and figure out how to route things before you start buying stuff. I bought a whole lot of fittings that ended up unused because I didn't check what I actually needed before I started. I used soft tubing which is pretty easy to work with, just make sure you get the fittings properly seated and tightened on the hoses to avoid leaks.

The only real headache with non-AIO water cooling is you need to drain and replace the liquid occasionally. I've run mine for almost a year and haven't seen any evidence of leaks or algae growth, but I've seen it recommended to drain, flush and replace the coolant at least once a year regardless.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phone posted:

Hi, back again, but now with parts:
Since you lamented the lack of 2TB drives, Intel makes a 2TB NVMe drive now, the 660p. It's not the fastest drive around (for an NVMe), but on the other hand it's pretty cheap per GB.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

out of frustration I designed a 12L 2x240mm water cooled Mini ITX case and I actually like it enough I might try build it this winter.
That looks amazing. The 80s hifi nerd in me wants to see it in wood and brushed stainless. :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Are there any mATX/ITX cases designed for custom loops that have a separate radiator chamber with side to side airflow? It's a feature I see on some full size cases like the Lian-Li V3000 and Thermaltake Core X71, but I haven't found any smaller case with it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

What's a good program to stress test for clock speeds and thermals once a system has been finished? Ideally I'd like something I can leave running for a while and then get a detailed report of, for both CPU and GPU afterwards.
Unigine Superposition is what I've been using. There's a stress test mode and will tell you the GPU min and max temperature afterwards. For CPU you probably need to run some other data logger in the background though.

https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Nano S is a good ITX case, but it's definitely not SFF at 27L.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had a Define R3 which had probably 3 or 4 completely different setups in it over 10 years or so before I switched from ATX to ITX.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

If all you want is Netflix and Spotify I think just a Raspberry Pi 4 can handle that? Would cost $40-60 instead of $400-600.
Or a Chromecast.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I hope they will sell the same case without the AIO because it would be ideal to put a custom loop in.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is why I wondered if they'd sell the case without the AIO, because I'd want both CPU and GPU in the loop.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not sure putting both a GPU and a CPU in a loop with just 240mm of radiator space is a good idea, and I don't know how you'd fit in an additional radiator.
I'm cooling both CPU and GPU with a slimline 240 at the moment. Granted it's just a Coffee Lake i5 and a 1080, but it manages a 20-25 C delta under load on both.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd just skip Windows 11. Windows 10 has been great, which by Microsoft's tick-gently caress cycle means 11 will be hot garbage.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

Any downsides to having the tubes come from the top like here?

As long as your pump (integrated into the CPU block in this case) isn't the highest point in the loop it's fine. Air will find its way to the highest point, and having a bit of air at the intake of the rad is fine. It's only a problem if it gathers in the pump.

With the tubes curving down like that you might want to put the case face-down for a bit while running the pump to force any air trapped inside the CPU block out into the tubes, then raise it so it gathers in the rad instead, but once the air is there it's not going to find its way back into the pump.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That looks pretty good. I like the cooling system. Any idea about the price point? I didn't find anything on Gigabyte's web site

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Everything in the ASUS ROG Strix line is hilariously overpriced.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wrt modern GPU sizes in SFF cases I feel like the SFF and custom loop water cooling crews will overlap more and more. The PCB sizes haven't increased much, so if you can get rid of the huge air cooler in favor of a water block it would make things easier to fit. Obviously now you need to find space for tubing and a chunky radiator instead, but AIOs are already commonplace and cases are made to accommodate them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Finished my build in the SSUPD Meshlicious a month ago. I got lucky and found a Gigabyte 3080 WaterForce on sale for about $950 back in January which was both the cheapest 3080 I could find at the time and saved me another $150 on having to buy a water block. On the downside not being able to get a FE card meant I had some additional space constraints due to the width of the card with the water ports on the long side.

The CPU is an i5-13600K on a Gigabyte B760i-D4 motherboard.

I had originally intended to use an EKWB 280mm rad, but after some cardboard templating I realized it wouldn't fit. It interferes with the front panel snap-fits by a few mm. Instead I went with an AlphaCool rad which is slightly shorter overall and allows it to clear. I also had to get slim fans to clear the GPU ports. On the upside, the GPU ports being where they are allowed me to very easily route the water flow from the motherboard side to the GPU side as a 30mm extender screwed into one of the back ports perfectly clears the case divider and two 90 degree adapters allowed me to get a good angle to hook up to the CPU block.

Fan speed is controlled by an AquaComputer Quadro based on water temp. The AquaComputer HighFlow meter reports both flow speed and temperature to the Quadro.

The pump is an Alphacool DC-LT2 with a solo top which is the smallest pump I could find that would reasonably fit in the case. I did consider the EK Quantum-Velocity CPU block and pump combo but the $300 price put me off.

There's no traditional reservoir in the system, instead the fill/bleed/expansion buffer is the piece of tubing going from a T-fitting on the GPU to a fill port at the top of the case. I designed and 3D printed a bracket that allowed me to fit a fill port at the top of the Meshlicious without needing to modify the top cover. Bleeding the system is still a pain in the rear end. There's a vent port at the top of the radiator, but it's awkwardly placed under a lip in the case and can't easily be used for filling.

Performance wise it runs okay. Water temperature maxes out at about 50C under stress test, with CPU and GPU hot spots around 75C with fans running at 80%. It runs a bit hot but still comfortably far from throttling and I'd say it's acceptable considering the constraints I was working under. Water flow is a bit low at 52L/m so I could probably improve cooling somewhat by getting a more powerful pump if I could find one that fits.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you're not overclocking you can get a b760 board instead, which is what I did. Considerably cheaper than z790.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

It looks like the B760's in ITX are both more expensive and worse than the Asrock Z690 itx which has lovely VRMs.
I got Gigabyte's B760I Aorus Pro ITX mobo for my build and it's been solid so far, knock on wood. Paid a tad over €200.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coredump posted:

Whoever suggested the metal fan in marketing will be insufferable for the forseeable future if the metal fan catches on.
If they're in marketing they're already insufferable.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Are there any actual advantages or are they just metal for the cool factor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A combined waterblock is a neat idea and I like the concept of sandwiching components like that, but that one doesn't seem to cut it no. Not sure if it's possible given the constraints you have to work with. It would probably be better to have separate blocks that have integrated pipes between them.

That said it's still nice to see a review done by someone competent who can say that it's a mediocre product for objective reasons, not because they prioritize time to publish over good testing.