Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CHEF!!! posted:

No more of this poo poo is all the reason I need; vastly increased transfer speeds are just icing on the cake.

It'll still never plug in on the first try, it'll catch the lip on the inside of the plug making you think something is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Lian Li makes some really decent stuff.

Also, someone get this.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-y6/

It doesn't float, Linus already tested it. No go for no float

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Line M is a solid, cheap case. I would totally buy again. Hope you have small hands though!

My friend is moving his mATX build from a SilverStone Raven RV01(113.887 liters) to the Line-M(27.04 liters) that just arrived today. We were going with an Antec P50(32 liters), but it is still relatively big for its size. He wants easier transportation of the case so he can LAN and demo his Vive to other people. He didn't have the money to spend on a mITX motherboard and a case, so we just decided to downsize the case. We're putting a comically large Galax 980 To HOF in the case, it's barely going to fit. We also ordered some spring loaded handles from MNPC, recessed ones were a little too much effort for the build.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

How does the Rosewill line M compared to the Silverstone Sugo sg10?

Probably the worst building experience I've ever had when trying to do wire management. It's smaller than the SG10 and it feels really cramped. I've worked on SFF minitowers that were easier to work with than the Line-M.

The handles are aftermarket from MNPC. The PSU is pushing against the bolts for the handles because there is like less than 1/8" of space between PSU and top of the case. I moved a friend's build over from that SilverStone Raven into the Line-M. The 3.5" drive bays will not fit a SSD without a 3.5" to 2.5" drive bay adapter. I tied the PCI-E power cables to the case there for added support of the GPU, pulled them slightly tight then tied it off. The front panel cables are all ran underneath the motherboard. The SATA power for the HDD is also ran right under the lip of the motherboard.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
People who buy S4 Minis, wouldn't it better to have the power supply inside the case? You now have to have a power brick to even power it. I know it'll make the case slightly bigger, but it is feasible to fit an SFX in. Like even an S4 Mini dimensions of 330x340x75mm would fit a SFX PSU inside the case next to the motherboard and would allow for some bigger video cards. Maybe I just am missing the point of the S4 Mini.

Edit: Apparently there is already a case like the S4, the Sentry. It's 340x310x66mm. Fits a Titan XP and SFX-L PSUs.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 6, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

an skeleton posted:

my CPU/GPU max/average temps after a game of overwatch on ultra mega super duper settings in my node 202 rig. pretty hot, how worried should I be?

Your CPU heat sink just isn't big enough for a 7700k. You could try undervolting your CPU and see if you can get a stable 4GHz at a lower volt. You can also delid and put better thermal paste on your CPU.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 8, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

Good to see someone is aware of the importance of an extra bottle of sriracha in a mITX build

Going to add some Mio to that water cooler. If it ever springs a leak he can just drink it dry.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Am I missing something when it comes to ordering custom cables that are shorter and more ITX friendly? CableMod is quoting me cable sets that cost more than my PSU alone.

Thats the price you pay for custom. If you want custom, make your own.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So AMD's X300 chipset for the SFF market segment as, listed in specifications, that it supports 1x16 PCI-E or 2x8 PCI-E. Does AMD count mATX as SFF?

https://hardocp.com/news/2017/03/15/amd_ryzen_5_processors_start_at_169_launch_on_april_11th

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
BitFenix is releasing an interesting mITX case. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitfenix-portal-mini-itx-case,4968.html

29L without the feet, 40L with. Biggest issue, very bad thermals. Almost 13*C worse than a Define Nano S.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

Bringing this thread back from the dead for a power supply related question.

I've built a frankenstein of a server that came out of a 1U and went into a 4U. It uses its own strange bespoke power supply that has no Molex on it, and the motherboard has no system fan cables. I need Molex for case fans.

Is there a decent, inexpensive power supply that I could theoretically jam into like, an SFX supply sized space, with a handful of Molex connectors, and jump the PS_ON and GND wires on the 24-pin connector to turn the thing on? All of the SFX power supplies I've looked at have at most one Molex.

Edit 2: Never mind all that crap, looks like you'll need a power supply.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 26, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hopefully he'll license out the design or something. I'm just upset that all of these cases are actually coming out after I got laid off, having been following them for years.

Yea, all of these cases are pricey, this, the Sentry, the Ncase M1. But they'll follow you through several builds and its definitely a niche market.

Can the company that rips off other people's case designs do this one do so I can buy it for less than $100?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Can I get done thoughts on this ITX build. Looking to using it for VR. Either going to go with a used 980 ti for 275, a 1070, or a 1080. I do know that the 980 ti will still provide a good experience.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cxxWTH edit forgot to post the link.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 4, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

underage at the vape shop posted:

I cant see how thick it is but it should be closer to a shower screen than a wine glass.

I've seen dozens of pictures online of people saying they just picked up the case and the glass just shattered. I've seen a few of saying, "didn't even touch it." Then I've seen the I was putting it back on and it shattered while tightening the thumb screws. Obviously the last one is user error. My problem with TG is that the system is no longer closed, they leave gaps between the TG and frame. Following that up, you're going to have to make the case positive pressure and be diligent in keeping the TG clean.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

I encountered a small snag with the Gigabyte GA-H270-Wifi and its rear mounted M2 slot in the Nano S.

Let's hope it doesn't need replacing during the lifetime of the motherboard. :v:

Just Dremel the case. Seems like the appropriate solution.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Any changes making a case "roomier" is objectively bad.

Well it's the same size externally, he got rid of the wrap around bezel. It's 0.4 litres bigger.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

Wait, is there any CPU option pricier than an 8700k that doesn’t have the heat spreader problem?

In short, no. Even their i9 7980X 18-Core CPU will drop 20C in temp with a delid and application of liquid metal. Even like kryonaut paste is better than Intel's stock paste, but I am unsure if the performance difference.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mkultra419 posted:

Does anyone have experience fitting a three fan GTX 980 like this into a Silverstone ML08-H?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first SFF build but would like to keep using my old GPU until 10XXs hit firesale prices. Most places say the ML08 can handle most full sized cards but the dimensions for both listed on the retail sites have me worried.

The ML08B-H has a height restriction of 4.78" tall. The Gigabyte is 5.08".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mkultra419 posted:

Yeah that's what I mean, I've seen a lot of talk online of that case being used for builds that don't make sense based on the rough dimensions given on the retail sites. Based on that I think there is a shot fitting my GTX 980.
Thanks for the follow up.

I think he's right on this. I think I may have misread SilverStone's websites on the dimensions. Because it looks like from the back that it will support a taller than normal GPU, just not a wider than normal 2-slot card.