Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Good OP.

I asked this earlier in the hardware advice thread, but I'm going to repeat here just in case.

Does anyone know where I might find a Z77 mitx motherboard, other than Amazon or Ebay? I'm trying to keep my 3570k as I downsize and don't much fancy spending $300+ on a motherboard, especially if Zen's actually good and I opt to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find a Z68/Z77 mITX board at a reasonable price. I checked around 6 months ago with no luck. There are still enough H97/Z97 mITX boards floating around if you don't mind trying to buy as Haswell processor, which are going for fairly cheap because Skylake is out now. May not be worth it, though.

Aye, that's a possibility too. It's annoying when there's so little reason to replace the 3570k from a performance standpoint.

If Zen doesn't appear worth it I may just suck it up down the road and shell out for a Z77 board.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Funny enough just checked again and there's a Z77 board on eBay for a reasonable price!

"Seller does not ship to your country." :negative:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I didn't see it mentioned, but Caselabs has a new line, including Mitx

Bigger than some, smaller than others.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

$330 Canadian is a bit :sweatdrop:

It is lovely though

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm really curious what the practical CPU limits people are going to find on the A4 are, given the restricted cooler size. Doubtless people will be trying to run the fastest things they can manage in there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Scythe has a new Kabuto CPU cooler, 125mm height with fan. Probably going to be pretty good.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Someone on OC.net made this re: the new CL models.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Coredump posted:

What Noctua cpu cooler is that?

Looks like a U9S.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Holy poo poo, they're actually going to sell something? I gave up on them.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

Looking at junking my Bitfenix Prodigy (what a big case for mini itx) and rebuilding in a NCASE M1 as well as doing some upgrades. What cooler setup on a graphics card (looking at a 1070 or 1080) would be better for that case: reference blower, side fans, or AIO liquid/radiator?

What CPU cooler are you using?

If you want minimal headaches use a blower 1070/1080.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Took the plunge and ordered an M1 and an SFX PSU to go with it.

Pricey bugger but I couldn't see anything that could beat it's mix of size and functionality.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Welp, all parts on order for my M1.

Reusing my trusty 3570k with a second hand p8z77 board; a c14 cooler with GT fans and replacing my current SLI 970s with a MSI 1080 Aero that will have an Accelero strapped to it to woof heat out the bottom. :v:

Christ this better be the last computer poo poo I buy for a few years or the other half will kill me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SFF attempt report: all outstanding parts arrived today, but PSU (Corsair SF) appears to be DOA. :v:

It is not providing power to the mobo when plugged in, and will not start when I try to short-start it with a paperclip. Plugged old ATX PSU into the motherboard and it showed it was receiving power as normal, so I can only logically conclude it's the SFX unit that's buggered.

:smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It lives!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I can report that the Accelero III is quite amazing in the M1.

I have it set with the fans exhausting out the bottom, and with a mild (two thousand giga-wiggles) overclock and fans set to 20% speed it sits in maxed out 1440 benchmarks at ~50 degrees. It'll be nice when I get a mini-pwm cable so i can slave the fans to the gpu's fan control.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Can't you also fit a slim fan on the side bracket over the d9l? If so that could feed more fresh air in too.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ncase report: custom psu cables make life much easier. :sun:

Also, hooked the Accelero fans up directly to the gpu via mini-4 pin. On the plus side, reactionary pwm control to the gpu temp; on the downside the minimum fan speed is 33% vs whatever I wanted to set it at when plugged into the motherboard header. (but was fixed instead of temperature based)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Can't you set your own fan speed curve in MSI Afterburner?

Yes, but it can't be set lower than 33% speed, at least for my card.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Got a link? I just ordered an ncase m1 and want to have all the bits ready for when it arrives in 4+ weeks time.

I got them from cablemod. In my case I just got them all at minimum length because the motherboard headers are next to the psu.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

You could run it from a motherboard header and use speedfan to control it based on GPU temp. That'd work down to 0%.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of next trying. I've never used speed fan but it can't be *that* hard...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks man. Can you paste a picture of your order? Basically I'll be wanting to order the exact same stuff...

This is for an Asus P8Z77-i motherboard.

For the inevitable question of "why those stupid colours", I was a bit drunk and have no aesthetic taste when sober to begin with.

Also, for a motherboard like mine a shorter 24-pin cable would have been preferable.

Over at Ensourced they have these shorty 24-pin connectors, which I know think would actually work better for a setup like this, paired with a short extension cable.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If you're willing to take the plunge I highly recommend either an AIO hybrid card or slapping on an Accelero.

I'm still figuring out the fan control side of the Accelero, but it's brilliant in the M1. It just vomits the heat out the bottom.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

NoDamage posted:

I have the same motherboard/case/psu and just got the same cables (well, single sata power instead of dual, and different colors). I asked if they would do a 200mm 24-pin and they said no, 250mm was the minimum.

Yeah, I saw that too. You could pair a 200mm 24-pin extension cable with that 24-pin shorty to make something shorter, but that's the limit short of DIY. The 250mm I have with paracord is much nicer to work with than the stock SF series cables though. The single best improvement though for me was having a short 8-pin motherboard cable though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

My Corsair Sf600 in the M1 has been silent.

Same. The fan rarely even turns on. It's an amazing piece of kit.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Question out of actual curiousness and not snark; what are you using TB for? Monitor?

I hear of it so rarely these days I'm unironically curious to learn more.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Corsair and Silverstone are the main ones, though Lian Li and some else I've forgotten are getting in on the action.

I have a Corsair Sf600 and it's been nothing but brilliant. Never hear it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Raijintek has a new ITX case that seems to be decently ITX sized.

Whether the layout is actually any good remains to be seen.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10947/zotac-announces-geforce-gtx-1080-for-miniitx-pcs

Well hopefully this is awesome. I kind of want to jam this into an S4 Mini.

Good on them, hope more follow.

It's something I've mused about around here before but I still wonder how good blower-style cooler could be made if someone really wanted to have a go at it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gonkish posted:

If the gods themselves aren't fighting over possession of my rig then I have dishonored my ancestors.

We know very well you've dishonored them many times over already. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

They're expensive, and not the smallest of the small, but the CaseLabs BH4 is appealing to me. 22L is still smaller than some "itx" cases on the market.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The U9S and D9L seem to be good go-to tower coolers.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oovee posted:

Well, ordered ryzin 1700.. now just to see which arrives first, ITX am4 or the zaber sentry case.

Yeah, not in a hurry here.. my trusty 2600k can chug on for a few more months decades.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I love mine. I intend to keep it for a long, long time.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SlayVus posted:

BitFenix is releasing an interesting mITX case. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitfenix-portal-mini-itx-case,4968.html

29L without the feet, 40L with. Biggest issue, very bad thermals. Almost 13*C worse than a Define Nano S.

They tried.

They failed.

Can't wait for Black Friday this year, finally going to upgrade cpu/mb/ram. Yes, I am looking that far ahead.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Seriously. I had a hell of a time finding a z77 ITX board when I down sized. I almost said "gently caress it" and just bought new stuff, but I found one in the end.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Cryorig is going to release the C7 in all copper soon. Can't wait to see test results.

http://techreport.com/news/31965/cryorig-cu-heatsinks-are-cool-in-copper

Edit: Also Zotac has a 1080Ti Mini incoming...
http://techreport.com/news/31967/zotac-readies-a-gtx-1080-ti-mini-and-a-slick-external-enclosure

Looks like they're doing a bunch in copper; they look brilliant.

e: Boy I want one of those A4s. There's nothing wrong with my M1 but boy I like that A4.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 28, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'd probably buy your Ncase off you.

Sadly, if I did grab an A4, the M1 would become my wife's new PC. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That's a bit much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars