Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So I just finished my first ever SFF/ITX build. I'm pretty proud of myself, having come from a gigantic HAF 932 (I tried googling a pic showing off the size, but someone posted this and I think it fits pretty well).

The idea was that I wanted a case as small as possible, but could also be upgraded without a lot of fuss or super-specific part hunting (like the small form factor PSUs). And I needed something that could accommodate a massive graphics card like my MSI GTX 970 (which is 10.91in/277mm long). I went with the Thermaltake Core V1, though I wanted a Fractal Node 304 because it looked more sleek, wasn't covered in vents, and just a lil' shorter. After a couple of hours of researching, it didn't look like the Node would fit my card because of the size and the position of the power inputs.

The V1 and other parts came today and I was surprised how easy it all went. I was scared of SFF computers and how cramped it would be, but it was actually quite alright. Nabbing a full size modular PSU wasn't a bad idea either. I suck at cable management, but theres few cables comparatively so they're not getting in the way. With everything else installed, fitting the GPU was a little tricky but not too bad. Having to fit the power cables through a little gap was the most uneasy experience in the whole build, but the cables should be fine. I just don't like having to bend cables more than I have to. In the future, I'll probably grab a graphics card just a smidge shorter. I'm banking on graphics cards not getting more than 11 inches because this is sorta ridiculous. Other than that, case was a pleasure to work with.

Anywho, it's all said and done now. I put all the stickers on the backside because I want the case to blend into an entertainment center without "sticking out". I even ripped the Thermaltake logo that was glued onto the front, and put it in the back. I'm trying to think of a way that I can cover/tint/spraypaint the top clear panel so my flashy GPU doesn't show.It's running now, I'm surprised how quiet it is! Here's the specs. I dunno why I wrote this post, but hopefully it'll give you some insight with what fits into a TT Core V1.

Case: ThermalTake Core V1
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650W G2, Full Modular
CPU: Intel Core i5 6500
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB
Mobo: MSI B150I Gaming Pro AC LGA 1151
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB)
SSD: That one Samsung one everyone likes, 250GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I figure you guys had seen bigger and better cases so I made the conscious decision not to upload the photos hah.

Anywho, here they are:

So yeah. That logo is glued onto there but it peels right off with some consistent pressure. I have it stuck at the back now. But there is a change in the grill pattern behind it, so you know something was there if you look. But the front profile of the case looks pretty muted now, just how I wanted it.

Also with the front plate of the case removed, you can see that there's room for extra long video cards go slide into. That angled piece of plastic with the little pipe sticking out is the front end of the graphics card. Doesnt get in the way of the faceplate though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah its not as bad as I thought. You can't really tell straight on. The front of the computer just looks like a subwoofer or some sorta oversized speaker.

Black construction paper sounds okay, I just don't like the glossy reflectiveness of the plastic window. This is me splitting hairs at this point because the rest of the case rocks. But man I really wish that window wasn't there. Im thinking of going to the local hardware store in the morning and seeing if I can get some of that metal-texture spray paint. But ugh, its gonna be hard to pull off if it looks too far off the metal black color, or if the fake-texture is too prominent.

e: ^^^ if you're on the fence about this case, id say go for it. I *still wish* I could have gone smaller, but I think at that point you're going to have to hand select every item based on dimension, which doesnt seem to be great in the way of upgradability or practicality.

buglord fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 1, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Turns out I suck with using spraypaint. This clear panel is gonna be hard to do.

e: I still suck at spraypaint. Here's my really crappy paint job!

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 3, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah...too late now hah. I think its stuck on there for good. I'll probably do plastidip If I have the willpower to sand this all back down. Even though its a little uneven, I still like it a bit more than the window.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Zero VGS posted:

Why not Plastidip spray? You can just peel it off if you mess anything up.

So I went to the arts/crafts store today and bought a little sheet of matte black contact paper. I should have done this since the beginning. Way easier to do.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My computer is all properly "broken in" now and I already have the itch to go even smaller in terms of case size. The TT Core V1 has a lot of unused space if you're going full stock on CPU & GPU cooling and using just one SSD. It looks like I could go even smaller while retaining the gargantuan EVGA 1070, but id have to measure every single thing should I want to transfer everything over. Needless to say that would be the case should I ever want to upgrade something. I don't want to cut practicality for looks.

I'm glad to see SFF GPUs becoming a thing nowadays, but it still feels.....unwise to throw money at a half size card that somehow avoids performance cuts while still keeping the card cool. Looking forward to seeing what SFF GPUs look like in a few years and how they perform, because going smaller at this point all seems to depend on GPU size.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hey pals and friends, what are your fav SFX/SFF PSUs? As far as I can tell, EVGA doesnt make any in that form factor. Who makes the best stuff?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

AEMINAL posted:

its just such a good case though....

gonna p0st my build again:

How hot does the 1070 get though? I almost went with that case but I noticed the PSU practically covers up one fan.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Gonkish posted:

Debating doing a mini ITX build (somewhat more conventional than those in the OP, I was looking at the Corsair Obsidian 250D for the case), and of course Zen and Kaby Lake have to drop and make me wait for mITX boards... :allears:

Consider the Thermaltake Core V1 as well. Seemingly a bit smaller but it can fit pretty massive video cards. If you rip off the front logo (which is affixed by glue) it looks like an understated subwoofer.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What's with the massive heat sinks on gaming motherboards? I don't overclock so maybe I'm missing something, but that seems mega useless. It seems even weirder when it's on a mITX motherboard where space is at a premium. If you actually want to be mITX gaming oriented, wouldn't you try to be as unobtrusive as possible?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

dy. posted:

I think you just need to figure out what you want. You're not going to gently caress anything up as long as you don't try to go super-small; maybe stay away from the very small cases for a first-time build.

One thing to consider about the Fractal Nano is that the PSU is RIGHT NEXT to the GPU. So at least one GPU fan is going to be more or less blocked, which may or may not make it better to consider a blower GPU if the thermals are bothersome.

Also throwing in my vote again for the thermaltake core v1. As long as your GPU isn't hilariously long, it'll fit it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Aside from SFF GPUs, is there any promise on the horizon for a trend towards smaller midrange/high end graphics cards? I feel like every computer upgrade I've had has been met with a larger and larger GPU.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Coldforge posted:

That actually makes me like the kit even more :dance:

And thanks for the info! Hopefully won't need it, but I'm definitely making a note.

This is such a goofy case. But I did have a huge soft spot for crazy decked out UFO type cases back then. Please come back and post how it looks like when get it and set it all up!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
ughhhh the TT Core V1 feels too large now, even though its literally the smallest computer case I've ever had by far. Im fixated on the RVZ02 and its weird ability to hold a massive video card. But that riser card problem talk keeps me mildly concerned.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
For the dudes who are trying to build a DEAD SILENT case, consider that a random component like your GPU may have coil whine which sorta invalidates the whole thing :smith:

Although to be fair, I don't know how well noise dampening cases handle high pitched cool whine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

jokes posted:

Coil whine is a valid reason for a return. I also recommend buying graphics cards from a place like micro center or Fry's because they do returns proper.

Yeah. Only mention it because I have neither of those places near me, and while EVGA came in clutch with their advanced RMA solution, I still got another 'whiner. This generation build is the only time I experienced cool whine, but this is also the first build that I put on my desk next to my monitor, with practically zero fan noise (which might have made it finally audible?).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Coldforge posted:

Annnnnnnnd nevermind, please do not be like me: :siren:avoid the MSI Aegis:siren:. Windows install crashed with an IRQ-L error, and the bios is now inaccessible, with no apparent way to clear CMOS - there's no reset switch, and the battery is mounted behind the water pump, which cannot be removed. Returning this POS on Tuesday and I guess I'll just build from scratch instead (since I'm stuck with the new Skylake processor).
Shame that happened, but I'm not surprised at this point.

Anecdotal but my MSI GTX 970 capacitor blowing up and the crazy 1 month RMA turn-around time has me wary of MSI now. If that happened prior to my new PC build, I wouldnt have purchased my mITX MSI motherboard. Hell now that I think of it, my previous MSI AMD card had problems too, but I attributed it to AMD back then when it was most likely a physical problem being represented by driver crashes. Being a brand warrior of anything is dumb, but my positive recent experiences with EVGA makes me pretty loyal to them now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I just moved from a Zotac 1060 (which was defective when it came in, and they don't offer returns on Newegg...only exchanges [?!]) to EVGA 1070 ACX 3.0. :cripes:

I guess its just me having bad luck.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Are there any SFF cases built with SFF GPUs in mind?

Something slightly larger than this (enough to fit a mini 1070 or R9 Nano, for example): would be really cool.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

The S4 Mini is really cool

Needs a little more....mass production. :( It costs a pretty penny too. I know this is a total beggars choosers situation because this is niche within niche here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I don't know why I did this, but I got a Silverstone SG-13. I'm gonna see transfer all the guts out of my TT Core V1 and do the most marginal size upgrade (downgrade?) ever.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's like half the size, so I'd say that's pretty substantial.

Yeah. Its actually a bit smaller than I expected. I haven't seen any comparisons on the internet with the TT Core V1 and the Sugo 13.

Heres some hot take impressions:

-Certainly feels like $39.99. No premium appearance or design. Not even a cheapo case fan preinstalled.

-No quality of life improvements like thumb screws or latches to make working in the case easier. You don't want to be in here more than you have to.

-Basic design means that you can't tell its an enthusiast machine. It might as well be mom's PC. But I'm a huge fan of the understated look nowadays. I'm happy with it blending into the background. Aside from small Silverstone logo, theres no additional branding or obnoxiously large logos.

-Power & activity LED's are under the chassis and point downwards towards your desk/surface. Im a huge fan of this because it lets me know the computer is on without lighting up the room at night. My HAF 932 and TT Core V1 have very bright lights and I've had to put electrical tape over them.

-Somehow this case to fits a 150mm ATX PSU and a GPU as long as my EVGA GTX 1070 SC.

-Theres some clearance between the PSU and my stock intel 65w TDP cooler. You might want to get a low profile CPU cooler if you have anything taller than that.

-I installed the PSU upside down and turned off eco mode so the fan helps the processor fan eject hot air out.

-Lol, just lol cable management. Im not going to even attempt that unless I get custom power cables first.

-I DID have to remove the HDD/SDD bracket because of space issues. The SDD is velcro'd onto the floor of the case. That works just fine.

Stats:
Samsung EVO 850 240GB
MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC mITX
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
EVGA G2 Supernova 650W PSU
8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Am I missing something when it comes to ordering custom cables that are shorter and more ITX friendly? CableMod is quoting me cable sets that cost more than my PSU alone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

SlayVus posted:

Thats the price you pay for custom. If you want custom, make your own.

Yeah it seems so. I didnt expect to pay a premium for literally just shortened cables. But also it seems like different PSU's support different cables, which means theres like 20 different ATX cables out there specifically for certain PSUs. Id imagine that has something to do with the price. I thought these were all universal.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I will certainly find a way to electrocute myself/destroy my components, so I guess ill just deal with generous cable lengths instead :shobon:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Definitely retry mounting the CPU cooler. I've had situations where I mounted the cooler wrong (despite it looking properly installed), and temps shooting up to the mid 90s and causing system crashes. Its sort of nuts how much just the slightest lack-of-contact makes. Take your time, remove all the thermal paste until the CPU lid and copper contacts are immaculate, then try again.

Wouldn't know what thermal paste to apply. I've always stuck with whatever was tossed in or cheap. I never overclock though. so the difference of a few degrees celsius doesn't mean that much to me with high-50s low 60s temps :shobon:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My SUGO 13, being the sub $50 scrap of metal it is, doesn't have any dust guards on three of its vents. This is a dumb question, but will buying sticky/magnetic dust filters for each vent keep dust out? And will it harm airflow in any way? The case is pretty much perfect and I plan on keeping this setup for the foreseeable future, but the case isn't too much fun to work in, so id like to avoid frequent dusting if possible.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

an skeleton posted:

this definitely makes sense. wish i could get to it tonight but probably a no-go. any general ways to tell that a cooler is mounted properly?

Just so we're not guessing here, what is your cooler you're working with? Ones which use plastic "snap-in"s to mount into the motherboard can be potentially problematic because their locking mechanisms work a bit opposite than some might think. OEMs tend to go this route. Does your cooler require a mounting bracket or special attachments behind the mobo?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I almost forgot about the Core V1, here's what I'm looking at so far:

Core V1 - 22.6 liters
Fractal Design Nano S - 26.8 liters

Any other options around that size or slightly smaller with good cooling would be welcome.
Silverstone Sugo 13 fits my behemoth EVGA 1070 and is smaller than the Thermaltake Core V1 (check my other posts in this thread on pg 31 for a side by side comparison). How long is this specific model of a 1080TI? The Core V1 can handle a long card, but you have to rip out the front 200mm fan if your card has a backplate due to clearance issues. Sugo 13 has the graphics card against the case vents, so an open air card should be just dandy.

There's little enough clearance for a low profile cooler, which is just dandy for stock i7. No clue about overclocking. If you want way more physical space for a large cooler, the Core V1 has that. Are you doing air cooling or water cooling?

buglord fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 8, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Back when I was shopping around for an ITX case, I almost got the Nano S until I saw some youtube review of it mention the GPU/PSU clearance problem. It seems like an embarrassing problem to have when you have far smaller cases (Sugo S13, S4 Mini) completely sidestep that issue.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yeah most regular size desktops have warranties that technically don't allow you to go in and replace components, but generally they don't throw the book at you if you don't actually break anything or mess anything up they just want to have that option

A buddy of mine bought a prebuilt gaming PC from Best Buy and MSI put a warranty sticker on the chassis that rips if you have the audacity to look at your own components inside. I get why they do it, like, if a customer opens the PC and puts a hamburger in it (this was actually a thing that regularly happened at our highschool computer labs). But it seems wild to sever post-purchase support on something like a gaming machine.

But I mean like, people who tend to dig into their computers and replace components on the reg would have probably built their own pc to begin with.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Performed an upgrade in my Silverstone SG13. Went from an ATX PSU to a SFX, which cleared up a lot of room. Wires were much shorter too. Unfortunately, my two SSDs create a lot of clutter still. I was going to rubber band the two SSD's together and velcro them onto the bottom of the case, but the SATA power cable is so oddly shaped (http://image.ibb.co/cT35Pn/2224233_xl_b.jpg) that its not possible.

Then I upgraded to a ASUS Strix Z370 motherboard with RGB lighting....it doesn't look so great in this case. I turned it off immediately. I dropped in a i7 8700, paired with a Noctua NH L9i. Coffee Lake lives up to the "coffee" part of its name, because my temps while playing Watch Dogs 2 hover around 75C. I hit around 90C when playing Kingdom Come Deliverance. Hit 100C a few times when running Prime 95. Reseated the heatsink a number of times, made sure I was using the right amount of thermal paste. But im starting to think that's the compromise with ITX systems containing hot processors with little room for gigantic heatsinks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

I would but wouldn't that kill resale value? Also i'd totally destroy it on accident.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I ordered a NH-L12S because I’m too spooked to have my CPU delidded even by Texans. I’ll report back with success or failure. Please go easy on ridiculing me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Switched my NH-L9i for a much larger NH-L12S. Still hitting high 80s and low 90s with a i7 8700. No longer hitting throttling temps though, so....yay? I think.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Umm.

No case fans heh. Just the CPU fan under the PSU fan. And then a big honkin GPU on the other side.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

buglord posted:

Switched my NH-L9i for a much larger NH-L12S. Still hitting high 80s and low 90s with a i7 8700. No longer hitting throttling temps though, so....yay? I think.

Problem solved. I had to dig around the ASUS ROG forums for a couple of painful hours, but I figured out how to undervolt my CPU since the motherboard is so keen on giving it a ton of extra power. I did a voltage offset by -0.040, ran Prime95, Cinebench, and the Intel CPU burn test, and it ran stable. (-0.050 caused BSOD, -0.045 resulted in general weirdness). Cinebench scores went up, CPU temps in Kingdom Come Deliverance (which heats up my CPU way more than any other program??) dont go higher than 75C. Also my idle temps dropped by 10C.

Starting to think high end motherboards are more trouble than they're worth, especially if i'm running a non-K CPU and need to control temps.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah I mean to say the board isnt bad and im sure it has its OC uses, but its kind of obnoxious that I had to go through the weekend effort to figure out why it was causing sky-high CPU temps. I think i've been on the Apple platform for too long and got used to simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm getting the case itch again. I basically want a Sugo SG13 but with better quality materials and a silver/white finish. Maybe something that was way higher CPU cooler clearance but that's kinda asking a bunch for a case that small.

Sorta unrelatedly, I think im switching to M.2's this Black Friday/Cyber Monday. 2 2.5" SSDs dont take up much room, but the 4 extra cables they require make a lot of mess.