Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What’s your CPU like? I’m assuming an i7 since your GPU is so beefy. Asking because I have the same PSU and I want to know if it can survive that config

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The faux-Mac look of it is slick. That's probably where i'm going next, because the CPU cooler restrictions of the SG13 are being felt with my non-k i7 8700.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Decluttered my SG13 by replacing the SSDs with a M.2 drive. Things look slightly less gross inside because of it. I sort of built myself into a corner because I have a NH-L12S CPU cooler which covers a lot of the ASUS Z370 board I have, and needs to come off entirely so I can unscrew the dumb gaming heatsink ASUS has on top of the M.2 port. I really wish these cases were easier to work in. Or better yet, had something like my old, very un-SFF HAF932, where you could remove part of the panel behind the motherboard to add things on the rear.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How much to ship to 93612? I’ll take dibs on it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Looks good to me. PayPal or?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Just gonna shout out that even the NH-L12 just barely "works" on keeping a i7 8700 (non-K) cool. You'll have to undervolt and play around with BIOS settings to not hit 95C when playing Overwatch or something. When it's all under control, you'll be generally at a balmy 80-85C on intensive games. I'm pretty stoked about the Nano S owls or something sent me, just because I can use an actually good cooler that isn't concerning me most of the time.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

orcane posted:

What case was that? I have a 7700k in a Dan A4 with a jury rigged cooler (Noctua fan on LP53 heatsink) and games get it to like 70°C which is not an issue at all. I can get it over 90°C with Prime stresstesting but that's it.

Sugo SG13:

The case is almost perfect, and it certainly was when I had my i5 6500, but I need something much larger to cool my i7 8700, and that can't really happen when your max cpu tower height is like 65mm.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

orcane posted:

I guess the thermal design of the Dan A4 is really good then.
I think it has less to do with the case honestly. Like I can boot up the PC after 8 hours of it being off, launch Battlefield 5, spike to the high 80s-mid 90s, all before it seems like the case has enough time to trap heat. Kinda a shame, whatever the case.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

SalTheBard posted:

SFX power supplies cone with smaller, thinner cables right? Can you buy just the cables to use with an ATX PSU?

Yeah they do usually come with SFF-sized cables. And you probably could, but be absolutely sure those cables are compatible with your PSU, otherwise you will fry multiple components.

VulgarandStupid posted:

You can use a 120mm AIO in that case as long as your video card isn’t super long.
Yeah unfortunately mine is. The case is basically perfect, I just wish they put the PSU in front so you didn't have to wedge a CPU cooler under it. I could see it working just fine for SFX PSUs.

emocrat posted:

Others may know better but I would suggest you move up to a 600w PSU.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGI5M24/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Llamadeus posted:

And/or maybe move up to the new platinum SFs, the new cables are more flexible and easier to work with supposedly.
Definitely get the newer platinum version. The Corsair SFX 600W PSU is very high quality, but the cables that came with my gold are frighteningly rigid and a literal pain on your fingers to snap in.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I got around to building with a Nano S and golly it’s a lovely experience. Cable management is really easy. There’s a lot of thought put into the case, like captive thumbscrews, rubber grommets around the cable routing holes, the sound padding, the fans. Also this thing is super quiet. So so so quiet.

On the flip side, the case is actually way larger than I thought it would be. In fact it’s a fair bit larger than the mainstream desktop computers you’d find at a Best Buy. I feel like it didn’t need to be as tall as it is, especially given the lack of ODD slots. There was a lot of unused space, but then again I have pretty minimal components (air tower cpu cooler, EVGA GTX 1070 [2 fans], SFX PSU, M.2 sticks instead of any SSDs)

Pics coming soon. Also if you have a SFX PSU, there’s a high chance you’ll need extension cables because the distance between the PSU and motherboard is comparable to a full tower.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

orcane posted:

The Nano S... if you use a (eg. 600W) SFX PSU this won't be a problem, though.
If you use a Nano S with a SFX PSU, you will almost certainly need extension cables for the ATX 24 pin cable, and maybe the CPU power cable. Luckily they can be had for really cheap, unless you want to order custom length cables which are :homebrew: In my experience, you'll probably have to undervolt the CPU a bit which will certainly throw overclocking out the window. But you'd be able to fit a cooler large enough to keep the CPU cool enough to maintain the turbo boosts.

The Fractal Design Core 500 is also worth looking at. You can fit a really long card in there and I think you get 10mm more clearance with CPU coolers. If you go that route, make sure to get a SFX PSU; an ATX will get in the way of a long GPU. Luckily for that case, you wouldn't need any extension cables from the PSU to the mobo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
In my experience it’s basically dead silent. At worst I hear a low hum. I also have the windowless version. Don’t forget the PSU extension cables with that Corsair.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What are you using to cool the 9900?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Silverstone Sugo 13 do it do it do it

wot in tarnation mATX mobo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Please don’t get my hopes up for a front mount SFX PSU Sugo 13, my poor heart can’t take that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How about a Fractal Design Core 500? It’s ITX, only a little larger than the Sugo 13, has a front mounted PSU so you can do a tower CPU cooler without having to worry about water cooling. Fits long graphics cards if you get a SFX PSU. Pretty darn quiet for me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
If you’re in the states I’d say go EVGA. Should anything happen with your PSU, their RMA department and tech support absolutely rocks.

I think Corsair updated their cables with the 750W SFX line. I have their 650 SFX. Great quality and all, but the cables are horrific. The plugs don’t snap in easily and are physically painful to your thumbs to connect and remove. Do a bit of research to see if it changed. If you don’t build and rebuild your PC often it shouldn’t really matter, but yeah, not fun.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 15, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
just saw this while on instagram.

Silverstone SG14 seen at Computex '19

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

I barged into their discord and asked the dude on-site for more deets. It’ll be a couple days before he can get a closer look at it again. :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

That looks like poo poo

Turns out it’s even worse looking on the other side. Lemme see if I can find a pic.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Llamadeus posted:

I guess for some reason they really can't afford to hire just one person with half a clue about design or aesthetics.
another angle of the SG-14:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Love too put my GPU up against a solid panel

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is the Node 304 with a little panel stuck to the front lol

The Node 304 at least has vents on the side and doesnt look like a Windows XP Media Player skin.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
SG13 is a fun build but its one of those cases you have to measure twice, buy once when it comes to component shopping. It gets cramped very quickly when you have an ATX PSU full sized GPU, and SSD's. That said, that curious little shoebox handled my EVGA GTX 1070 just fine and at least lets you put a Noctua L9i inside if you must use an ATX PSU. Going SFF will allow you some taller heatsinks, since the PSU is mounted above it. It looked fairly clean when I went that route and replaced my 2.5" SSDs with M.2 drives instead.

I'm still miffed the SG14 looks as goofy as it does in 2019. How in the world did they come to that design

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

:pwn:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Looking for a compute stick for a family friend. Shes used one before and liked the extreme portability. Budget is sub-$300. Uses include MS Office suite, internet, maybe some Youtube. Storage isn't a concern because she almost exclusively uses cloud storage. As long as Windows 10 has enough free space to do those semi-annul/annual big updates, i think that'll be perfect. I feel 4GB would probably be a good floor for RAM because she's often multitasking with browser tabs, multiple Excel spreadsheets.

It looks simple enough to find something that matches those requirements on Amazon, but a lot of these are from companies I've never heard of. For anyone that's used them, how reliable are they long term? Shes gone through a series of extreme budget laptops that screw up for one reason or another. Because the compute stick is a tiny motherboard in a metal rectangular shell, I'd imagine there's less points of failure?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Nano S is incredibly well made and is the nicest case I’ve used. Sound dampening is great too. As an ITX case though, it’s pretty huge. Having half the GPU being covered by your PSU is kind of a letdown, but mitigated a bit of you get a SFX unit. If you go this route , you’ll likely need an extender for that 24 pin power cable. My Corsair SF600 had a cable which was functionally too short because the distance from the motherboard and PSU is pretty significant. Either get a cheap $10 extender on amazon or get a custom compatible cable (I’m sure you know this but mixing PSU cables leads to tears and violent wallet spasms.) the only real fault i found with the Nano S was the misleading name

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Internet says that intake is good for the front. I have a 120mm Noctua fan (NF-A12x25 PWM) set as Intake in the front because 140mm gets in the way of my GPU. Incredibly silent and moves a lot of air. I even have a 92x14mm side fan as an exhaust, held up by sandwich twist ties. :rolleye:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADgZXh_p_NA

Silverstone you had one job with updating the SG-13 :smith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
It’s kinda wild to me that all the previous SG-14 prototypes were way off the mark too. Starting to think maybe the SG-13 was a one time happy accident. The Just Cause 2 of the series.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Silverstone's RVZ03 ITX case got a great review on GamersNexus and that's semi recent. Maybe thats where their A-team works? Im curious how R&D works and gets their inspiration. The SG-14 seems like it was made by people who heard of ITX but never saw it before.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

CaptainPsyko posted:

Okay, as a certified dumb dumb whose PSU knowledge is “these are the sizes. More watts is better but there’s such a thing as enough watts. Modular good. Brand name and/or long warranty good. 80+ ratings are proxy for good components but don’t sweat gold Vs. Plat” (correct any of that if it’s wrong btw)

I believe this website was posted before but this guy reviews that nitty gritty side of PSUs with the noise graphs and wizard energy scopes to see if its likely to burn your house down or fry your components. I usually check him out when im in the market for an additional PSU which isn't my usual choice.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/11/06/corsair-sf600-platinum-power-supply/

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

B-Mac posted:

That case is such garbage, I have no idea what fractal was thinking.

It reminds me of the Xbox 360 with those tacky skins you could apply to the faceplate and top of the console.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The SG13 is one I try to replace with something else but it’s just way too good in the <$200 price range. Everything else is either too big or restricts GPU length or CPU cooler height in some way. The Dan A4 has been my ideal upgrade for a while now but then I’d have to deal with the NH-L9i which has trouble with my stock i7 8700. And then there’s the $200 price tag and no mass production which always gives me enough time to talk myself out of it. ITX is an illness which takes and takes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Haha, I could probably gain some more cable-cramming space if I just taped my SSD to the case, huh :v:

I ran Assassin's Creed Odyssey, my most CPU-intensive game (I think) for a bit over an hour. Absolute peak was 82°C, but it looked like it remained around 75° most of the time :toot: GPU peaked at 83 but hovered mainly at 80 (so, no change there, as expected).

4K60 on Ultra High preset :dance:

Did some RDR2 benchmarking. Gained about 2 fps for the average (lmao) but more than doubled my minimums, so at least the game looks another overall :v:

edit: CPU idles at 45 normally, randomly spiking up to the 50s and dropping almost immediately back down to 45. I guess that's a known quirk of this processor though. Doesn't take very long to drop to idle temps after a long, hot gaming session either :toot:

What are GPU thermals like? I didn’t realize the node 202 could fit a 3080. Also what air cooler? Looks vaguely like a NH-L12S but I could be wrong.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
you've already gone above and beyond what SA would ask of you, but i hope you go the extra mile and accidentally leave that on when you have familiar company over.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Zero VGS posted:

loving :bisonyes:

Thank you, just ordered it. This is gonna be the most spec-dense ITX of all time. Zen3 and RTX 3080 in 12"x12"x2"

Why this board and not a regular consumer grade board? The only benefit I see are 4 ram slots vs 2. (And the extra credit benefit of looking like a plain ol pc component instead of some goofy branded gaming device) It's also a lot more expensive. Why not just get 2 denser ram sticks instead?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Zero VGS posted:

OK so a bunch of reasons...

Legit curious to see how it all turns out. Not clear on your recent post history (and also I’m on mobile) but what case are you using for this?

I’ve been wanting to do a backpack PC myself for a while now. My SG13 fits into my college backpack with room to spare for a KB/M & required cables, but then I’d need some sort of ultra portable monitor to also fit in said backpack. I know those exist, but the quality ones cost as much as my 27” 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor. That and GPUs are trending towards the “wrong” size for me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm just happy it wasnt a noncommittal statement that indicates their vanishing or some sort of doubling down. It seems like they're owning responsibility, even though it looks mostly out of their hands. Seem like good people, and its nice that they aren't going the route seemingly everyone has been going the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That’s a really weird experience with a PSU of that price point. I’d be bitter about it too.