Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sliger CL530 “conswole” with all black color scheme arrived yesterday. To those unfamiliar, it’s similar to Node 202, Sentry. First impressions:

+Understated in appearance. The power switch is a little silver button with white ring LED which makes it look almost elegant? It doesn’t look basic like an office machine would, but it would seem right at home in some workstation computer lab.

+ Fits my NH-L12S and a triple slot GPU.

+ All metal case feels really nice. Parts are hefty and rigid. Probably my most premium and professional feeling case to date?

- Case feels spartan when you build in it. It still has nice interior build quality, but I was hoping for something like cable channels or places to anchor zip ties.

- USB-A front panel port cutout is perfectly square and feels just a hair too big for the not-perfectly square USB-A port. This irks me unreasonably, considering the USB-C port cutout perfectly fits with the port.

- Base plate I bought seems a little basic. It’s very weighty which feels nice, but eh. I’m not sure if it would provide more stability in the vertical position, despite the weight.

- Could stand to be slightly less tall? A few reviewers have mentioned that it’s not as space optimized as other cases, and I’m inclined to agree. Still definitely ITX though.

- - No included instructions. I had to find images of completed builds, Imgur galleries. There’s a bag of screws and I wasn’t sure at all which went where. At the very least, a leaflet explaining what the different screws are for would go a long way. Most people selecting this case are uses to building in difficult cases. But cmon.

Anywho, I’m staying with this case for a long time. Hopefully I hold onto it as long as I did with the SG13. Despite my laundry list of weird nitpicks, it feels like a keeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Nah it’s something that’s manufactured that way. Even their promo images show it. I knew about it going in. Probably easier in production/cost.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
There should be enough space for a 2.5" SSD somewhere in there. The magic of 2.5" SSDs are, technically speaking, any case can support them with the use of velcro tape :v: I think the bigger hassle is having to add an additional PSU cable and SATA cable into the mix. The build is fine. Its basically 2 parts and the side panel pops off with your fingers.

https://imgur.com/a/Uq76w3P#rzJdUEF

This album is a pretty good resource for your build. I used this and the Sliger product page in order to figure out what went where. I also have no idea why this guy removed the PSU frame first. I was able to mount it with a short screwdriver.

What also helps is that I migrated all my screws from my old SG13 build, so I was able to ignore most of the screws besides the ones which hold the GPU down and keep aligned with the bracket, and the fan cage screws (from what it looks like on the product page, each fan only needs 2 screws, not 4.)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
70C is hot? For ITX, i'm pretty happy as long as things stay below 80C. Honestly I think you're fine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'll definitely give that a look over the next few days.

My plans for this build are shifting slightly. Since my highest point of near-full compatibility is only on consoles that don't require much at all, I think I may just make a decently-powerful normal rear end 4K compatible build through Windows. That way I can at the very least keep the dream of an emulation machine alive but then also utilize it to play Windows games that I don't get to play often since my main PC is a Hackintosh/macOS.

I'm gonna do some reading and try to figure out parts, wiring, and all the necessary stuff when making a small build, but if anyone has any more recommendations, it'd be helpful. Ideally, I'd like to keep things under 1K not including peripherals. Already have the TV and will probably just find a cheapo keyboard and mouse and prioritize controller playing with one of my spare XBO controllers.
Cant go wrong with the NR200/P, especially if you look at price differences and you wanting to stay under 1k total. I really love my CL530, just because its compact but still can fit gigantic modern GPUs and high end CPUs if you don't plan on overclocking.

There's also this cool rear end dude on SAMart that sells Windows 10 keys for cheap, so that will reduce the build cost a bit for total system cost.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think I've more or less decided on a 3070. I think it'll be "easier" to get one and wouldn't push the budget up too much and with the goal of having really solid PC performance, I think it's worth it.

One thing I'm seeing though is that a lot of these smaller builds stress how important cooling is, but it's omitted here. Should I look into that a bit too?

Undervolting is worth looking into as well.

It’s fairly easy to get a decent GPU undervolt with %0 loss. I pushed it even further (by doing a slight underclock) and got a very cool GPU with only a 2% loss on benchmarks. CPU undervolting is quite nice as well. Even a modest offset will make a noticeable change in temperature.

Both options are risk free and can theoretically extend the life of your components since you’re putting less voltage and heat onto them. Only negatives are the crashing you get during the first few hours where you find out if you deprived your components of juice.

I’m mobile so I can’t link up any guides, but undervolting is absolutely worth it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Corsair Vengeance LPX kits haven’t ever failed me in the past 6 years and 4 builds. You can get them in black, white, red. They also seem to be the most compatible sized sticks for ITX (barring the ultra low profile memory sticks you can find for much higher prices)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That’s...pretty good. I get a little warmer (like 73C) when running my i7 8700 undervolted with a NH-L12S

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
You know, apologies. I misread the original post and miscommunicated in my reply. Are those the temps you get from just farting around on the internet and/or idle on the desktop? 73C is something I get when playing Cyberpunk and having everything running on full load. I'm assuming you've already tried reseating the heatsink?

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't be on SA with this bad of a headache.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Not sure how easy it is with AMD CPUs but some undervolting and power limiting in the bios has done wonders for me on Intel.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Longish term Sliger CL530 review in low effort post form:

I’ve had it for 3 months now. It’s good. I feel like maybe I could have gotten away with the thinner CL520 because my EVGA 3070 XC3 isn’t all that thick. I even moved the riser slot for the card closer to the vented panel and there’s still some room to spare. But then I’d probably have to deal with a smaller heatsink for my toasty boi i7 8700.

Dust is more of an “issue” than with other cases, though the simple pop-off side panel exposing everything makes cleaning pretty simple. Still in love with the industrial, no frills spartan design.

Biggest con is that it’s too slightly large to fit into my school backpack. This somehow remains important to me even though I’ve taken my computer to a friends house *twice* ever since I transitioned to the form factor in 2016. I know it’s dumb.

Thanks for tolerating my post!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah even when my Corsair SF 600 fan kicks in it’s still quieter than the rest of the system. If you’re going the 600 route get the tier/revision that doesn’t have the stiff cables because yikes my thumbs still hurt remembering them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

ijyt posted:

I want to design a case precisely to be as small and COMPATIBLE as possible. I love my NR200 but want something more portable, but the Vella 5/7 for example make a few too many sacrifices.

Also really hard to find anything smaller than the NR200 or M1 that doesn't immediately hotbox a flowthrough GPU.

Sliger CL530? Has two slim noctua fans behind the gpu. Has a lot of compatibility for a 11 liter case.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is there any hope that AMD becomes the counterpart that isn’t hot, loud and hungry (but enough about OPs mom)?

I watched it last night and man I care about performance.. but not that much. I already have my 3070 slightly underclocked and undervolted because lower temps and draw are worth the 1-2fps for me. I figure I can’t really rely on that if the card is made ground up to be a power hog right?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Scythe posted:

If I want a vertically-oriented, minimal-looking ITX case that has both USB-A and USB-C on top, should I be looking at anything other than the Meshlicious? It seems like it ticks those boxes better than anything else I'm seeing, but maybe I'm missing something.

The Sliger CL530 is vertically oriented and has USB A & C on its front panel. It also allows a NH-L12S, which I’m currently using in it right now. :shrug:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I know the Corsair SFF 600 is a good PSU as is the 750, but what are the options out there if I want to go 800w-850w? It looks like there's reputable PSU brands out there making those, but I hear that its not always about the brands because they just put stickers on power supplies, and the person who actually manufactures those power supplies has a lot more to do with quality control than the sticker applier like Corsair/EVGA/Coolermaster and others?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah it’s kinda ridiculous that I was able to shave 25% power consumption from my 3070 and lose 5% in benchmark performance and even less in actually playing the games.

Not that my 3070 was having any issues in my Sliger CL530 conswole, but anything I can do to make a GPU less of a space heater during summer is good.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

dkj posted:

Thank you

You can also look at completed builds (sorted by case) on PC Part Picker and see if others have gone beyond the limits. A few of my SFF cases I’ve built in allowed a bit longer cards with some accommodations (downsizing a case fan) or with simply just putting in the card a different way. Worth a shot to see if someone else tried it first.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Crossposting from the pc building thread, since you guys might be more temperature sensitive about CPUs:

What’s the best upgrade path from a i7 8700 non-k for ITX/SFF gaming? Will 6 cores 12 threads be enough or is 8/16 the new hotness orrr am I chasing the wrong thing entirely here? This CPU will be used exclusively for gaming, and it will likely be tweaked/power limited a bit that way it stays cooled by my NHL12S (a small horizontal tower) cpu cooler.

Im tempted to go the AMD route and get a R5 7600 non-x, though I’d have to get a more expensive motherboard. I figure maybe if I get on the AM5 platform, I could maybe keep the motherboard for 3 or 4 CPU generations like AMD says (unless I heard that wrong?)

Then on the flip side there’s Intel but I’m completely lost on their E & P core things, I have no idea how that fits into gaming. Or should I just wait another generation if possible?

If it helps, the resolution im at is 1440p with a RTX 3070, ideally targeting 90-100 fps.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
It’s either that or an upgrade to a Radeon 7900XT, though I’m not sure if a 7900XT would be bottlenecked that hard by my CPU either. Target FPS is still 90-100 and I’m almost exclusively playing singeplayer games a
low stakes co-op multiplayer, so I don’t really need it higher than that I think?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

unimportantguy posted:

I'm going forward with my Terra build with 7800X3D and a 6700XT. Got the parts ordered. :toot:

This is my first rodeo for ITX/SFF so any good general-purpose building advice is appreciated.

what CPU cooling solution are you gonna use?

I've always done air cooling, so my tip with regards to that is try to wire everything into the motherboard first before securing the heatsink in/putting the mobo into the case, if possible. I have a NH-L12s and while its not a huge hunk of metal, it covers a lot of things, and its made even worse when already installed into my Sliger Cl-530.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah ordering my Sliger CL530 took some time. I think it was like a 2 week backlog. Worth the wait though. I really like the muted industrial design and the case is nice and sturdy. Only con was that my case came with a bag of screws and I was left figuring out assembly on my own. I never used a lot of those screws, dunno what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
A 7900XT PowerColor Hellhound fits snugly into a Sliger CL530, for what that’s worth. I really can’t believe GPUs have gotten this gigantic.