Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I've been considering doing a custom build that kind of imitates BTX by using a riser cable to move the GPU to the other end of the board. That, plus an almost-standard PSU placement on the other end would meant everything gets its fresh air from the same central "wind tunnel".

I've already installed modeling software. Even opened it once and immediately closed it! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I know some of the smallest of builds use the alpenfohn black ridge: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-black-ridge-low-profile-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-05g-al.html There are a few others in that size category as well.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Scientist Al Gore posted:

I just had a crazy idea,

Someone needs to design a motherboard that uses the rear I/O as exhaust with a blower style fan though removing extra ports because with bluetooth you don't nearly need as many. If anything - we just need 2x USB, Ethernet and Wifi.

I used to have an old AMD64 board years ago that had a big remote heat sink integrated into the rear IO panel, with a mesh cover bulging out the back. That relied on case fans for airflow, though.

I've been pondering designing/commissioning an ITX case for a while now and at this point I'm thinking it would be cool if the entire rear of the case was something like speaker mesh, attached to whatever minimal structural support.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Additionally, running the bottom fans as exhaust will keep the floor-level cat hair away from those fans.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
What what it's worth, natural convection is a great idea but stands absolutely no chance when you install fans in your case.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I've been following this project's development for a while, and I am all around impressed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fznalm/winter-one

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
The price is on the high side, at least for me, but the guy has done a lot of simulations and real life beta testing, and some configurations actually perform better than an open test bench. That said, I think I'm going to hold off though, since there's another project I've been following and I enjoy the aesthetics of if just a little bit more. I guess I'm a fan of mesh more than the "panel full of holes" look.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
You might be able to use some wire similarly to the existing clamps, but twist it until everything is nice and snug.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Thank you! For some reason I had thought the Meshilicious had IO out of the bottom. Unfortunately no official seller yet around my part of SEA but something to look at down the line.

It's a weird one. They support the traditional GPU orientation where the ports are on the back of the case, but the max card length is pretty short. You can also rotate the card 90 degrees and the ports would be facing downward, but it's still technically inside the case and you'd need to route things out through the little cutout in the back, which may or may not require an angled cable connector depending on how long the card is.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Not only does it come with a 280mm AIO, but also an 850W SFX power supply. Pretty good package if you're looking for both.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Enos Cabell posted:

Well gently caress me, I just bought an NR200 and psu within the past few months and was looking into AIO cpu coolers to drop in. This would have been an insta-buy for me.

I'm sitting here looking at a recently completed NR200 build, but unlike the Max version it's a positive air pressure build. Slim fans on the bottom blowing on the GPU, side-mount AIO with fans set to pull, and then a single top exhaust because I forgot the PSU cable would be in the way. I'm 50/50 on whether I would've gone with the updated case at this point, it seems just a touch more limiting.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Cygni posted:

Zen3 is a different animal than pretty much every other desktop CPU (i guess until tomorrow!). With a 280 AIO, you will still see pretty high peak temps, especially if you have PBO/Auto OC on. I def do with a 5950X. It really doesn't matter how much radiator or pumpspeed you throw at it, youll still see like 80c+ peaks with PBO and 70c+ stock. The thermal density on the compute dies, plus the inefficiencies of heat transfer from silicon -> indium solder -> gold foil -> nickle plated copper heatspreader -> thermal paste -> nickle plated copper cold plate -> water limit the abilities to pull heat away fast enough. A lot of the time it can be more informative to look at the coolant temps to get an idea of whether things are working ok.

If they are higher than that, you may want to look to make sure you got good thermal paste coverage, a good waterblock mount, and that the motherboard isnt secretly upping the voltage with an auto OC setting when you turn XMP on. Zen 3 is a hungry wee bastard.

Not only does it spike like that, but a lot of monitoring software uses a different sensor reading (edit: or polling interval, etc.) than ryzen master for whatever reason, and that reading might be anywhere from 0 to 15 degrees higher. Kinda freaked me out when I installed NXZT CAM at first.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 3, 2021

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

denereal visease posted:

very cool, interested to hear how it works out for you

sliger has some interesting ideas and god awful aesthetics (imo)

I know what you mean. I'm using an SV590 with the "minimalist" side panels, since the normal ones are strange looking and less breathable. The build quality is a little on the rough side (the wrap-around front panel isn't bent 100% square so it's hard to screw into place) but temperatures have been great. It was a little tricky to build in, since some wires and tubes have only one way they'll fit around other components while still being able to reach their destination since it's so tall.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm usually not a fan of open PC designs, but I like the look of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMmTMr66Csc

I think it has a lot of promise, especially since it's still a prototype and they're looking for feedback. The first thing that popped into my head was that you could put those mounting rails on the top/bottom pipes of the case in addition to the corner pipes - maybe there's space for a 140mm radiator up top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
There was one guy who designed and worked with a prototyping firm / small manufacturer to build a dual GPU case a few years ago as a personal project (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/project-orthrus-smallest-sli-matx-case-v2.835/), but those cards aren't as big as ones you can buy today.