Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

I've been considering doing a custom build that kind of imitates BTX by using a riser cable to move the GPU to the other end of the board. That, plus an almost-standard PSU placement on the other end would meant everything gets its fresh air from the same central "wind tunnel".

I've already installed modeling software. Even opened it once and immediately closed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

I know some of the smallest of builds use the alpenfohn black ridge: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-black-ridge-low-profile-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-05g-al.html There are a few others in that size category as well.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Scientist Al Gore posted:

I just had a crazy idea,

Someone needs to design a motherboard that uses the rear I/O as exhaust with a blower style fan though removing extra ports because with bluetooth you don't nearly need as many. If anything - we just need 2x USB, Ethernet and Wifi.

I used to have an old AMD64 board years ago that had a big remote heat sink integrated into the rear IO panel, with a mesh cover bulging out the back. That relied on case fans for airflow, though.

I've been pondering designing/commissioning an ITX case for a while now and at this point I'm thinking it would be cool if the entire rear of the case was something like speaker mesh, attached to whatever minimal structural support.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Additionally, running the bottom fans as exhaust will keep the floor-level cat hair away from those fans.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

What what it's worth, natural convection is a great idea but stands absolutely no chance when you install fans in your case.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

I've been following this project's development for a while, and I am all around impressed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fznalm/winter-one

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

The price is on the high side, at least for me, but the guy has done a lot of simulations and real life beta testing, and some configurations actually perform better than an open test bench. That said, I think I'm going to hold off though, since there's another project I've been following and I enjoy the aesthetics of if just a little bit more. I guess I'm a fan of mesh more than the "panel full of holes" look.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

You might be able to use some wire similarly to the existing clamps, but twist it until everything is nice and snug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Thank you! For some reason I had thought the Meshilicious had IO out of the bottom. Unfortunately no official seller yet around my part of SEA but something to look at down the line.

It's a weird one. They support the traditional GPU orientation where the ports are on the back of the case, but the max card length is pretty short. You can also rotate the card 90 degrees and the ports would be facing downward, but it's still technically inside the case and you'd need to route things out through the little cutout in the back, which may or may not require an angled cable connector depending on how long the card is.