Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

If you use an ITX board with the Corsair Air 240, will you be able to get a radiator up top as well as in the front?

I know with an MATX board there's issues with ram / VRM heatsink clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Question about the NR200 - if you attach a 3.5" to the PSU cage, can you still fit in a 2x120 AIO?

What about with the 3D printed ATX PSU cage?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

What air cooler is that? I've been planning on my next rig being in an NR200 but will be using an ATX PSU cage (3d print files are available on CM website) and I'm not sure how that interferes with an AIO / if I even want an AIO.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I just ended up going with the Silverstone SX-700pt to stick in my NR200 since the SF750 is so hard to get. That'll be enough for when I eventually get the 3080 or 3-series refresh to pair with a 6700k.

The only downside to it are that the cables are supposedly really stiff and hard to route but I'm going to be using the mesh panel anyway so prettifying the guts don't matter to me, and that it's a little louder than the SF750 which doesn't bother me, it's going on the floor under the desk.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Well finally did the deed and spent about 5 hours today moving my 6700k / gtx 1080 build from an oversized atx case (mm h2g0 from the old water cooling days) into the nr200. Upgraded from the hyper 212 to fuma 2 which is now letting me get to a 4.5 oc instead of 4.2. Crammed 2 2.5" ssds and 1 3.5" hdd into the drat thing. The silverstone sx 700 pt sfx psu really does have the stiffest cables so it was rather difficult to manage it all and let me tell Ya it ain't pretty but I don't really care. Set bottom intake and top exhaust fans to ramp on gpu temp via Argus, and left the fuma 2 stock.

All in all I'm really pleased. Mesh panel of course, the things noisier than my old case but saving space in shoebox hell is worth it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Warmachine posted:

No idea on the Cooler Master PSUs. My last bucket of PSUs have been from SilverStone or Corsair, and I haven't had a problem with either. Given the relative price between the Corsair and SilverStone 750s (and the fact the Corsairs are basically vaporware at this point) I'd give serious consideration to the SilverStone. My only comment is that the Corsair has individually sleeved cables that are extremely easy to bend and move around, while the SilverStone cables are stiff plastic "ribbons."

I'm not sure where they get off saying that makes cable management easier on the Amazon ad. :psyduck:

Yeah I picked up a Silverstone SX700-PT and those cables, who the hell thought that one up? It took a lot of work to get them decent. I have an old Silverstone Strider sitting around an am wondering, would it be stupid to risk using the sleeved modular cables from that PSU? The answer is probably yes I'm guessing.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I really like how the nr200 mounts 3.5 inch hdds. I bought a 10tb drive a few years ago thinking I'd need it for all my storage and backups and that I'd never have to upgrade it, so I threw it in my nr200. I barely use it lol

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I love the look of these vertical cases but hate how the IO comes out of the bottom or the top (the meshilicious fixes this somewhat but I'd need 2 right angled connectors, one for HDMI and one for DP). Since I frequently move my case (nr200) between the bedroom and the living room ease of plugging poo poo in is a priority.

Also, having a cat around a vertical CPU case is dangerous, as they'll jump onto it and possibly tip it over.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 30, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Just don’t get the Silverstonr sfx-l. Cables are stiff as gently caress and I spent way too much time trying to get them situated properly.

lol I've got a silverstone sx-700-pt which is a normal sfx one and that also has the stiff rear end ribbon cables.

But, as they say, the best ability is availability. Took a little while and more than a few knuckle scratches until the innards of my nr200 looked merely messy.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe I missed it, but how did you fix this power connector thing and get the side of the case back on?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I paid for Argus monitor and it was worth it. Now I have the intake and exhausts (1 bottom 2 top in an nr200) set up to spin up at max temp cpu or gpu. So basically whichever one hits 55 first starts the fan on the curve from minimum. Pretty nifty.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I base my fan curve on max GPU or CPU temp using Argus Monitor in an NR200 with 2 bottom intake and 2 top exhaust. CPU cooler (Fuma 2) runs on its default curve, and I manage my graphics card curve (GTX1080) via afterburner to have it ramp up steadily instead of doing the annoying thing it used to where it was quiet until it was definitely not.

For the chassis fan I do max GPU or CPU just because games don't really stress my CPU so I can't tie it to CPU temp, and if I'm doing anything CPU intensive it's obviously not gonna get the GPU going so I can't tie it to GPU temp. So it's just tied to both, whichever is higher.

The fans definitely run at higher speeds than my CPU cooler fan because the Fuma 2 fans are I believe really heavily RPM limited. But exhausting harder really helps CPU temps in the NR200 if ambients are high (already nearly 30c lovely) and intaking right into the GPU is also great.

Not sure how it is with the TU150 and the layout there. I would expect most people to run their fans a little harder in summer if you're not airconditioning.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I love the look of these vertical cases (though do wonder if my cat jumping on to it as she is wont to do will knock it over), but I can't have the IO on the bottom as I move my PC around the house twice a day (from desk to living room and then back) and it's just way too fiddly. Corsair managing to stick it on the back still is impressive, and I would definitely get one if they didn't cost a small fortune.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 4, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

It feels like this is a really good use case for targeting a mobo with thunderbolt support and a TB Dock; io location matters less when it's only 2 plugs. (Power/tb)

Wouldn't display port still need to go into the GPU? Or can that pass through over Thunderbolt and still keep high refresh / g-sync? E: Yeah, and still having to put the thing on its side to get power in. Definitely more of a live on the desk type of case, which is completely fair because that's what cases are designed to do.

Nondescript Van posted:

The meshlicious is a vertical case with all connections on the back

https://ssupd.com/products/meshlicious

Decent price, horrible name.

Thank you! For some reason I had thought the Meshilicious had IO out of the bottom. Unfortunately no official seller yet around my part of SEA but something to look at down the line.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 4, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Canna Happy posted:

xtia xproto?

Wow that "case" looks cool as heck but since I have a little furry beast from hell which I believe is commonly called 'cat' that's probably a no go for me.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

My go to with a new build upon first boot is always to get all the benchmark / monitoring / voltage control apps and dial in undervolts / overclocks / temps for a couple of hours. Feels like a nice continuation of 'building'.

And then I stare at my library for an hour wondering what to do next.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Haven't seen a high end mATX board in what feels like forever. Fondly remembering my Asus Maximus Gene (insert whatever roman numeral it was) z77 board and 3570k that my 7970 took out when it puffed the magic smoke. Board, CPU, GPU, all died which led me to the 6700K + 1080 combo I still got going today.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Cooler Master has an 850 sku. https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/v-series/v850-sfx-gold/

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Mushroom D

I wish there were more cases that did the more vertical height for a smaller desktop footprint thing. Like if the Sliger SV590 or the Meshilicious had ATX mobo support (as in grew taller) that'd be my dream case and be tall enough for a vertical 4x120 rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

This link shows how ATX fitment will be in the Mushroom S. SFX PSU only and a longer riser cable needed that you probably have to buy separately. Pretty interesting that you can still fit a 240 AIO though.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0504/5652/7032/files/MeshroomS_Guide_add.pdf?v=1661486543

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 31, 2022