Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
ouya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012

These things make really good pizza bagels

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Anyone have an experience using the rvz-series cases as pizza box PCs? I really want something I can rest a monitor on

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I don't think mATX is dead. Lots of consumer grade Dell desktops are using mATX boards; I don't think enthusiasts care for mATX boards but mATX cases are nice for mITX builds. I use an old mATX inspiron for my mITX build, plenty of room for an ATX supply, weird FPGA card, etc., etc., and it came with both mATX and mITX holes.

Shaocaholica posted:

Form factors should just die. Need custom case/mobo/PSU solutions from the same company based on use case requirements. Think how sleek a SFF would be if it didn't have to adhere to mobo and PSU standards. Yes I know shuttle does this. We're basically making game consoles with just higher power components.

VIA did super well creating the mITX for kiosks and stuff. Intel has been doing a lot of form factor work with the NUC.

Consider when Arduino was the first well-publicized microcontroller board with awesome fit and finish. There was a time when everything revolved around that form factor, so many boards, daughtercards all followed the exact blueprint. I think the next step will be either selecting an industry standard (like PCIE cards, or in the future M.2 cards) and just rolling with those as your "mother" board for your processor, but it won't mean going away with standards entirely. Chips are having most of their north/southbridge work integrated back on the chip, so there's even less need for real estate on a motherboard.

sports fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 13, 2020

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Where the heck can I order ASRock's AM4 Thin Mini ITX mobo