Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Getting some inspiration from this thread. Right now I have a modest Bitfenix Prodigy setup, but I'm starting to eye moving over to an NCASE M1.

Never understood the point of having a full-sized ATX board and especially now with SFX PSUs and M2 drives, even my Prodigy seems like overkill.

I keep getting tempted to spec out a watercooling build since most of the NCASE M1 builds I see online have em, but from what I'm reading in this thread and elsewhere I'm guessing that would be excessive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm in the process of readying my build to move over into an NCASE M1. My current CPU cooler, a Noctua NH-U12S, looks like it's too tall for the NCASE.

It looks like NCASE recommends a top-down cooler, and the OP suggests the Cryorig C7. What other coolers do people like?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I ordered my NCASE maybe a week ago and knew the shipping date, but I'm still goin' crazy waiting for it to get here.

I'm just going to be moving the guts of my last-gen Bitfenix Prodigy build into it so it won't be that exciting, but I'll still do a write up on PC Part Picker and post it here in 2 weeks or whenever it gets here

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Coredump posted:

My Ncase M1 is supposed to show up in the next few days. I'm going to go with the Noctua NH-D9L cpu cooler and I have a Gigabyte 980ti waterforce for a gpu that I'm going to try and fit in there.

Edit: Christ, just went back thru this thread and realized I ordered the case back on July 1st. Good thing I've had my components running in another case in the meantime.
I'm in the same boat, mine's supposed to show up tomorrow and I think I ordered it mid to early July. I've had my SFX power supply and low profile cooler in my case for the better part of a month

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I seem the like the thinner cases with the otherwise wider profile, but I want to be able to pop a full-sized video card into one. Is there some general configuration for that? Like, do they have motherboards with the PCI-Express port parallel to the motherboard?
There are cases like the Fractal Node 202 and the Silverstone RVZ01/02 that use PCI risers to give more flexibility to where you can put your video card.

Is that kinda what you're talking about?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I just finished my NCASE M1 build! I got a write up on PCPartPicker:

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/dpyfrH

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Bass Bottles posted:

So the Fractal Node 202 doesn't have a speaker for the motherboard to connect to for the little beep noises, correct? I never found one. Is that unusual?
I think one out of three cases I've bought in the last decade have had a speaker included, so I'd say it's not unusual.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

negativeneil posted:

where do you guys get your cables from? I keep seeing these nice braided motherboard cables but I never seem to figure out where to buy them.
You can buy sleeved cables from some OEMs too, just check out their accessories and search by the model of your PSU.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Smiles posted:

kind of want the dancase A4 even when i already have my M1sitting on my desk

why do PCs have to be so big
I wonder if half height graphics cards will start catching on at some point, it seems like the logical progression for the form factor

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Shanghaied posted:

How does ordering the M1 work anyway? The Ncase site says now orders made before 23/9 will ship on 27/9 etc, but at the same time people are also saying they have been waiting quite a while for their orders. I'm looking to build a mITX PC, just not right at this moment, but if the wait is 3+ months, then I figure I might as well order ASAP.
I got one earlier this year, shipped when they said it would, everything went fine. Their dates and estimates were all correct, the biggest problem was my impatience.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Quite A Tool posted:

I completed my I5 6500 and reference GTX 1060 in a RVZ-02 build a couple weeks ago and this thing slays. Running Overwatch maxed out with the frame rate capped at 75 and the GPU maybe hits 73C from time to time. Looks like my temp concerns were overblown.

Also it's astonishingly quiet, I'm really happy with this build. Cable management was a little touch and go but I doubt I'll ever go back to a standard sized tower.

Nice, what did you do for cooling?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

SFX power supplies are a wasteland, are there any cool slim chassis that don't use those goddamned things
What don't you like about the current SFX offerings? I have a Corsair SF 450 and love it

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Rekkit posted:

Does anyone know the dimensions of the ncase m1 BOX? As in like I need to know if the box will fit in a suitcase alongside a bunch of other stuff.
Just measured mine, it's about 8.5" x 12.5" x 15"

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
How much does open air vs. blower cooling matter in SFF? I'm thinking about getting a new GPU and am wondering if I'm pretty much locked into some Founder's Edition garbage or if I have options.

I thought I remembered seeing some numbers on Hardforum and the difference was negligible.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

nerdrum posted:

I have genuinely reached SFF Nirvana after doing this build. Absolute loving joy to work in this case, the only even slight issue I had was figuring out the heatpipe arrangement with with the NH-L12 but even then it was five minutes. Even with cable management this was barely an hour and a half build.

Nice build! I did not know that you could still fit a 3.5" drive with the cage in when you use a full sized GPU.

What did you do with the feet? It looks a little elevated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

dy. posted:

I just plunked down for an M1 in preparation for a Coffee Lake build. I feel so horrible spending $230 on a case but couldn't resist.

Any tips for cooling setups? Never worked in a case so small. Would prefer low noise > performance. I have an Asus Strix 1080 (open air) I'm going to be putting in.
I kinda felt weird when I got mine as well, but I got over it. It's such a nice case.

Honestly unless you're doing some crazy overclocking or anything, a NH-U9S and some case fans should be fine.