Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I have my node 202 on a shelf that's about 11-12 inches deep - it fits just enough so that it won't topple over and kill me.

It also burns with the heat of a thousand suns only kept in check by aggressive undervolting. Is there a case out there that can fit on the shelf? It seems like every case is obsessed with fitting a 3090 so they're all a bit too long to fit. Do I have to rotate this sumbitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Romes128 posted:

Sliger CL530 has similar dimensions to the 202 and can fit a triple slot card.

This is perfect. It's going on my list. Thanks!

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
build it on top of the motherboard box

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
My friends, I have seen the NR200 light. It was a shock moving from the 10.2L Node 202 to the 17L monster I now have - an even bigger shock when I saw that the GPU thermals were 10C lower even after I uncorked the undervolt. I got a 3070FE so the backside of the GPU needed the ventilation, and most SFF cases with sandwich layout just weren't gonna cut it.

The issue I have is that it's just one drive bay away from being a mini tower. :( I'll probably get used to it after a little while but I'm definitely compromising.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Keret posted:

My hunt for a motherboard and an SF750 are going about as well as I'd expect, so I thought I'd ask about other options:

Looking at PCPartPicker, even if I upgrade to a 3080 I still won't be breaking 500W supposedly — is that enough headroom to justify going with the much easier to find SF600?

As for the motherboard, I've been looking at mITX B550I boards and everyone seems to be using the Gigabyte AORUS one, but that is similarly hard to find. Any comments on other brands' B550I boards, like ASUS or MSI?

FWIW, I run a EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 on an SF600 with a PCIE cable splitter since it takes 3 power inputs. I have it undervolted to 900mv@stock speeds.

That bastard still sucks down 320W during benchmarks but I haven't had an issue yet, but my brainworms has made me order the Cooler Master v850 SFX from ShopBLT since it's more available - I'm getting it next week after ordering it last week.

460W BIOS here we come :blastu:

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 8, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
SF750 in stock at corsair website, get it while it's hot!

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

frytechnician posted:

So through blind luck, in the space of a month I've managed to get a 5900x, an NR200 and, arriving sometime next week, a 3080. But not just any 3080, the godawful looking but decent performing Palit Gamerock. My question is, at exactly 60mm thickness, which is the NR200's max card slot height, has anyone else tried putting one in theirs or another at an equivalent thickness?

Looks like that card is just about the same thickness as my EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra, which is 2.75 slots thick.

Compared to the 3070FE, which is exactly 2 slots wide:

:hmbol:

:hmbol:

(I changed the SF600 for a SF750 after a few weeks of this setup)

It should be fine. You won't be able to mount regular 25mm thick fans underneath the GPU - 15mm will probably work. I don't have fans and I don't have issues with thermals.

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 18, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

frytechnician posted:

Thanks for sharing! That is a snug rear end fit to say the least but I'm very relieved it's gonna fit. Thanks also for letting me know about the thermals too, I think there's no way I'm gonna run extra fans underneath. I am now one PSU away from completion, cannot wait to have my dream editing, animation and gaming rig soon.

I recommend that you don't run the cables as shown in my photos - have the 24-pin cable going up and over the power supply, and have the PCI-E/CPU cables going underneath the video card - this relieves the downward pressure the cables would apply to the card if all of them were going in the same direction. If you want I could crack open my case when I get home today and take a picture.

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 18, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Just steer clear of the Gskill Ripjaws, those are some tall boys.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Picture is deceptive. There's a bit of space between the connectors and the (metal) panel. It closes.

I heard tempered glass panels have a tougher time since it has less clearance.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

CyberPingu posted:

Ok I've given up on the custom loop idea and gonna try go for quiet as possible

Currently I'm running:

NR200P
Ryzen 3900X
Scythe Fuma2 /w stock fans
2 top mounted stock fans from the 200P

What's the best setup here, currently the processor still idles around 50C, undervolting it brings it down to like 38-40C when doing basic day to day stuff.

Would it be worth swapping out the stock scythe & case fans for some noctua nf-s12b redux or arctic P12s and possibly adding 2 smaller fans on the base below the gpu?

E. Doesn't appear adding fans under the GPU help at all with thermals or noise so won't be doing that

What about getting an AIO for the CPU?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Ah, I somehow didn't catch that it's an NR200P. I have a non-TG NR200 so side mounting an AIO would work pretty well with mine.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Haven't gotten an AIO yet, to be clear. But the plan I have going right now is side-mount AIO as intake, and have top fans as exhaust. I just noticed that my CPU fan is the loudest item in my case during normal use.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, I started with a Node 202, and even with a 1660 Super it ran with the heat of a thousand suns. The 3070 FE actually did alright even with the backside being covered, but as I was chasing the 3080 at the time I knew that the 202 had to go and become an HTPC because it had a hard GPU size limit as well as thermal issues. In the end I had done everything, including zip tying 40mm fans on the exhaust next to the power supply and undervolting it to all hell. At that point my GPU was hitting 80-90C.

The only 3080 I could get was the beefy boi EVGA FTW3 Ultra so I ordered an NR200 ASAP and I don't think I even hit 80C now. It sucks because I wanted a smaller package but it sure is nice not having to worry about setting UV curves and monitoring the temperature.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

orcane posted:

It's clear that "make case that only works with 5-10 specific GPU models of the latest generation" is not viable anymore.

It's not viable because you can't choose what GPU SKU you get anymore, you just take whatever they have in stock if you're lucky.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Me in December 2020: looking back and forth between the EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra and the Node 202

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

JamesieAB posted:

I need to replace my ageing pc (9 year old i3-2120 "Sandy Bridge"), I'm in the UK and have a budget of £300.

I think this will limit my search to a NUC/Compute stick/Chromebox or possibly a low end Chromebook. I have posted in the Chromebook thread but it's not very active.

I don't mind which OS I use as long as it will run the following
Chrome with a decent number of tabs open
Office type apps
C#/Go development tools (nothing heavy duty)
Movies/TV shows
simple games

I already have
250GB SATA SSD
1920x1080 resolution monitor with an hdmi connector
USB powered speakers + line out connector
USB keyboard and Mouse

Would appreciate any and all suggestions.

I don't know what the market is in the UK, but an option would be a decommissioned Dell/HP workstation with a 4th gen i5 processor and 16 gigs of ram from the used market. You can then pray to the gods to get a GTX 1650 to slap in there and you'll be able to run even modern games at decent quality. It will probably blow your 300 pound budget, however.

I would not recommend an all-in-one or tablet chromebook based on your list of requirements.

Edit: but yeah the pc building thread will guide you better, what you're looking for isn't the focus for this thread.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Why can't they have the TG option for the PCIE4 version :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Still available - I'm tempted to pick one up and just grab a $30 GT 210 to make the initial boot to change it to PCIE 3.0