Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dunno this third party seller but they're selling a Tyan Mini ITX C222 board for $140. It comes only with the absolute bare minimum of goodies on the back, a grand total of one VGA, 2 USB3, and ethernet ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Tyan-Computer-S5533gm2nr-S1150-Mini-itx/dp/B00KKSEDYQ
http://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S5533_S5533GM2NR-LE

If you want to go even cheaper for ECC you might have to wait to see how Zen pans out.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It only has to cool 120 watts though

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SFX power supplies are a wasteland, are there any cool slim chassis that don't use those goddamned things

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

beepsandboops posted:

What don't you like about the current SFX offerings? I have a Corsair SF 450 and love it
Only one vendor worth a poo poo selling small SFX PSUs with any capacity, namely Silverstone.

Given an hour to think about it, I think I should dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed and buy a case that supports SFX-L

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm thinking of going with the RVZ01-E since I'd rather shop around for ATX power supplies since it's easier to find a high quality PSU for cheap, and I'd like 4 2.5" slots (OS SSD, game SSD, game HDD, capture HDD) without needing a shorty card, plus I'm moving the optical drive duty to some video recorder box (which will use my current SFF case) anyway, and I'll live with having an unused blu-ray burner drive since I have a better full size one.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm placing it vertically and the maximum width I want the PC to have is 4.5 inches :ohdear:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

where the gently caress is my nano-atx

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cubes are great if you really need to stuff 8 or more drives in the smallest vertical space possible

not so much otherwise

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

japtor posted:

There's also mini STX now.
a shame you can only put things without integrated graphics worth a gently caress in those :rip:

why yes i would like to have a huge lead box right next to my bento-box sized computer

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

well, people can't be stuck forever at GK209/Oland can they :ohdear:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cheapest MXM card worth a gently caress is a Kepler 860m at $350

:yikes:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The mini itx board that I was going to use for poo poo Box just loving fried, and the PSU died as well. I checked the voltage on the wall socket and it was 145V. :argh: I knew I should have bought a line conditioner.

All the other parts made it out okay :unsmith: if it wasn't a Seasonic everything would have evaporated

I'm not going to shelf the idea of an xbone-sized PC with an actual GPU but it'll have to wait until I have the scratch to make a mini itx Zen fun box

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

abigserve posted:

Any recommendations for the smallest possible NAS case? 2+ drive bays, no video card required and smaller form factor PSU's could be used. I've been looking around and the fractal node series seem too big for the purpose, ideally I'd like to have it on a shelf above my desk.
If the node 304 is too big for you just about every other thing with 2 3.5" drive bays is too big because you gain a couple inches of any direction per inch that you cut from the 304. I'd suggest a multi-bay port multiplied eSATA enclosure connected to a raid controller at that point.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

alternatively, get a used 1u server and some blower fans

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AIBs? depends on the card's TDP, anything below 200w can get a 6 inch version, with some ill-advised exceptions anything below 50w can get a half-height version

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

If you're gonna be serious about network storage you're better off buying another low-rent board/cpu/ram, an ATX case with tons of drive bays, putting it somewhere with high enough air flow and far enough away from your computing for you not to notice, like a broom closet or something

just run an ethernet cable to the router from it to connect it to the LAN.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FreeNAS is a pay-to-play solution, you pay for it in form factor mostly

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nG98TW/asrock-ab350-gaming-itxac-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-ab350-gaming-itxac

i would get this mobo instead

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gigabyte boards currently have issues with feeding too many volts to CPUs

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

not at all, especially if they were CXs

the low end PSUs i'd suggest are the EVGA B3s, since there's a lot of them and they're from superflower's value line

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

you're probably better off with a drive toaster

preferably one of those horizontal lay-flat ones

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the deskmini x600 is going to be amazing as a work pc if you can put a 7900 non-x in it

most often you'd stuff an 8600g in it since SODIMM ram speed isn't good enough to fully utilize a 8700g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jaxyon posted:

While I'm aware the good answer is "buy a laptop", bear with me.

Is anyone making a relatively portable sized PC, prebuilt, that can game? Not necessarily some of the Roku sized NUC stuff in this thread, as it seems hard to find those that will game, but still something that is small and portable?

I'm helping a friend look for a portable PC that can move between houses, but for whatever reason doesn't want a laptop. Is there anything like that?

Maybe a mini-ITX prebuilt?
Minisforum sells this thing (Ryzen 6900HX + RX 6650m), but keep in mind the RX 6650m won't do a whole lot above 1080p.

https://store.minisforum.com/products/elitemini-hx90g?variant=43587611295989