Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Doing some upgrading on an older system I had. Currently the specs are:
Case: Silverstone sg05
Motherboard: Gigabyte H97n
Processor: Intel i5 4590
Cooler: Corsair H60
Videocard: Asus gtx 660 direct cu mini
Ram: 8 gigs of something
Powersupply: silverstone 450 sfx

First time running a Corsair AIO cooler. Just did a brief intel burn test and the temps hit 100 C before I shut the test down. Before this I was running an ivy bridge i3 with a Samuel 17 cooler. What the christ is going on here. Idle temps seems to be at 35 C at the moment.

Edit: Ah, I've got the "thin motherboard" issue that is apparently A. Thing. with the H60. Gonna have to put washers on the back plate to take out the slack from the standoff screws. Joy.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

blowfish posted:

Get a mini GTX 970 or wait for a mini GTX 1070 to become available (probably a few months). Everything else is fine.

Agreed. These were used parts I got off sa-mart as part of an unplanned but happy upgrade. Still haven't gotten the washers yet to get the standoff screws nice and tight. Apparently what happens is with the standoff screws being loose the water block / pump assembly is not as tight as it needs to be for cooling. This is apparently a common thing with those h60's. I had no idea. I wish Corsair would include some optional washers in the package.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Cooler Master Elite 130 is on sale for $40 right now thru Amazon. It's a mini-itx case that can take full size power supplies. Looks pretty interesting. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/4p4ydb/case_cooler_master_elite_130_mini_itx_40_19/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What Noctua cpu cooler is that?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

buffbus posted:

I have the same loose bottom plate on my h60 and asus h97i-plus but the top plate is still nice and tight to the point where the arms on it flex a bit. Idle temps are usually 27-32c. Just throwing in my anecdotal evidence that some play doesn't mean something is wrong.

Just to update. Case is a Silverstone SG05 I got some plastic and rubber washers from Lowe's and was able to get all the slack out of the stand off screws for the Corsair H60i. When I unmounted the waterblock from my cpu there was barely an transfer of TIM from the waterblock to cpu. I then reseated the cpu cooler and tried again. Temps were higher than I liked so I took the cooler back off and switched the TIM for some Noctua NT-H1 that I have.

Ambient in the room with the pc is 80 F and cpu is currently idling between 33-44 C. When I did a few minutes of Intel burn test my temps went up to 86 C max. I'm not happy with what I'm seeing but I never did temp tests when I was running an ivy bridge i3 with a Samuel 17 cooler in this system. I'm wondering if this is the best that I'm going to get. I'm almost tempted to put the Samuel cooler and Noctua fan back on to see what temps I get. However, in order to do that I would have to take the case COMPLETELY apart as the front fan is between the front panel and radiator and I would need to swap that back to the Silverstone stock fan.

Edit: Figured it out. Clocked the waterblock another 90 degrees as there is a row of capacitors near the cpu socket. One edge of plastic on the waterblock must have been making contact with the capacitors. Even when I looked at it again it didn't look like they were quite touching, but it was too close not to try. I'm running intel burn test right now and my temps are maxing at 55 C. Which in an enclosure this tight I'm good with that, especially under 100% load. loving finally.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 25, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

twxabfn posted:

I have an RVZ01B and need a new GPU. I was previously using a 960 with an ACX 2.0 cooler that, IIRC, was usually 70-75c during peak gaming. I'm looking at either a 480 or a 1070 to get more perf for the same wattage (the 960 was rated for 160W max), but am wondering if I should get a blower-style card this time around, both for better cooling (?) and to make it easier to put the GPU bracket on - it was really tricky to find the right spot so that it would hold the card up without covering either of the fans.

If it matters, I'll have an i5-4590 with the stock cooler on the other side. Noise isn't a huge issue since I couch game and sit 10' from the PC.

Have you seen any of Gigabyte's cards with the full water block and all-in-one cooler? They have a 980ti and now a 1080 version coming out soonish.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just ordered the Ncase M1 in black with no optical drive. Total came out to $230 shipped to me. I just need a sfx power supply and some sort of cpu cooler and I'll have everything I need. I don't know if I want to do a AIO cooler for the cpu as my videocard has an AIO cooler built into it so I would have two 120" radiators in the case. Also, the gpu is the single biggest source of heat so the cpu may be just fine on air, but this case will be pretty compact. Decisions decisions.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Will that case work in an inverted orientation? For when you get back to 'Straya? :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

For anyone that ordered the Ncase M1, did you get another email after the paypal receipt with shipping info, etc? How long did it take to arrive if you did? I ordered on Friday and just have the email from Paypal. I'm fully expecting this case to take 3 weeks or so to arrive, just curious about the communication part.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With the Grandia is it possible to fit a radiator beside the motherboard?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My Silverstone SG-05 slips into a small gym bag pretty easily. I would put the computer, tenkeyless kb, mouse, necessary cables and power strip and take it wherever I was heading. Usually I relied on the person hosting me having a spare TV I could setup at. The case you're asking about looks like it could go into a gym bag or backpack pretty easily.

Edit: Lets all take a moment to reminiscence about when we carried our CRT's and big beige cases to lan parties. How far we've come.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 6, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I ran this with a Noctua fan and had good results: https://www.amazon.com/Prolimatech-Samuel-17-CPU-Cooler/dp/B003OPW3W6
Prolimatech Samuel 17

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

snuff posted:

Nice build, but

That is a dangerous temperature, your body will thermal throttle and you will probably die.

This is the best reply.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah if you can put your pc together and run off onboard video for a while I would wait if you could. Gpu market is kinda unsettled at the moment with new releases and such. If you can't wait shopping for parts used in sa-mart had treated me well for the past several years.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah, I guess I should just be patient, especially since the onboard graphics could still entertainment plenty for a little bit.

But are the other issues with my part list besides the GPU!

Uhhh, I don't think so. Looks good at first glance.

Also, question for everyone. Given the choice between the Silverstone 600w sfx power supply and the Corsair 600w sfx power supply, which one would you go with and why?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I'm looking for the smallest case that can fit that card and still achieve good enough airflow for its cooler to work. Handles are a plus, but they seem to be nonexistent these days. I'm an amateur at this, so it also needs to be not too insane to build in. Any suggestions?

This one has a handle. http://pcpartpicker.com/product/6htWGX/silverstone-case-sstml08bh Several people in thread have used it for their builds so it seems to get the job done. To use this case though, you will need a sfx power supply. Corsair and Silverstone are two popular choices.

Question for everyone else, with these smaller case, especially ones that use riser cards, wouldn't a blower gpu be the way to go? Most of the cases I've seen the gpu gets its own mesh window to draw cool air in from outside and then due to being a blower cooler, exhaust the air directly out the case. I realize that other cooler designs can be more efficient, but don't they tend to circulate air in the case?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 21, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Smiles posted:

Finally built my NCASE M1, first time building a PC and boy was I glad this thing switched on on the first try, though it thinks I have two monitors for some raisin???

Which power supply did you use?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Here's a size comparison between a SG05 and a ML08B

I didn't realize the ML08B was going to be that big. Now I"m not sure which case I want to go with.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My Ncase M1 is supposed to show up in the next few days. I'm going to go with the Noctua NH-D9L cpu cooler and I have a Gigabyte 980ti waterforce for a gpu that I'm going to try and fit in there.

Edit: Christ, just went back thru this thread and realized I ordered the case back on July 1st. Good thing I've had my components running in another case in the meantime.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 8, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Installed an old ivy bridge i3 setup in the ML08B case I got. The Samuel 17 cooler I had did not fit with a standard width 120mm fan. Got a Scythe 12mm thin fan and all is good. Will run it for a while to get temps later.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have a Silverstone 450 sfx modular power supply. Where can I get a longer atx 4/8 pin cable?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Got it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Goddamn is the gigabyte waterforce card a pain in the rear end to mount in ANY case. Its worth it tho. I have my Ncase system assembled. The cables for the power supply are out of the way for airflow but they don't look pretty for this build. Installed hwinfo64 and my cpu is at 35c and gpu is 31c. Never thought I'd see the day my gpu is running cooler than my cpu.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 13, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Same. In regards to motherboard speakers.

My temps are not my favorite with the Ncase at the moment. The GPU does fine. Problem is the gpu fan/radiator is pulling in fresh out from outside right above the psu. That's all good. But then that already heated air is what is getting pulled over to my nh-d9l cooler and cpu temps are not great right now. They're in safe limits but with what they get up to during gaming there's not really a chance of overclocking. I'm going to try and get a second fan for the cooler and see if that helps. But I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a aio cooler for the cpu and hope like hell I can figure out a way to get the loving stiff tubing on my gpu to cooperate to get the two radiators side by side. This guy got two aio coolers in his case so I know its possible: http://imgur.com/gallery/KpBDJ

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'll see what effect the 2nd fan on my cpu cooler has. Then I'll try to reverse the fan and see if that helps. It'll be something to tinker with as time goes on. If the tubing wasn't so stiff on the gpu aio cooler I would just get me a cpu aio cooler for another intake and a fan to exhaust them both out the back and call it a day. Put there's also the pain of packing up the cooler I have and shipping it back. First world problems.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I would spring for an aftermarket cooler for better temps and less noise. But, it's not a necessity. You can try the stock cooler and then decide if you want more.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well I did it. I got a Corsair H60 and the AIO on my video card to live together in the case. Its not pretty but cpu is idling at 30c and gpu is at 33c. I did intel burn test and my cpu fluctuated back and forth around the 50c mark. Hooray.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

lurksion posted:

That extra 100W on the last gen cards really makes a big difference it seems.

Yeah whenever Gigabyte's waterforce 1080 starts to get in stock I'm going to look at it. In the meantime I'm using a Corsair H60 cooler and temps are fine right now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You can order custom length cables from cablemod.com. You would need to come up with your own measurements for cable lengths though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ncase M1 chat. Ordered July 1st, got it around August 10th.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I wish this discussion had happened earlier when I asked about power supplies in this thread.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sale on Fractal Define cases at newegg. Define Nano S is $50. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/575l7b/meta_big_sale_on_fractal_design_define_cases_from/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

niss posted:

After using the Xonar, the built in sound card on my Asus Maximus sounds terrible when using anything other than optical, granted its a version 5, all sorts of background noise.

Usb Fiio DAC and headphone amp?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just checked the KillAWatt on my system since I switched to a 1080 from a 980Ti. With my 5775C (65W) and EVGA ACX3.0 1080, I'm maxing at 280W while playing BF1.

Do you know what wattage you were pulling back on your 980ti?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How does the Rosewill line M compared to the Silverstone Sugo sg10?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Photex posted:

i'm curious does AMD/ATI do Mini ITX versions of their cards?

AMD do have some fairly short cards with built-in water cooling. Those look neat.

e;fb.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Funny how the 65w cpu is more likely to get water cooling before the 180w gpu.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I wonder if it would be better to stick with a gtx 1080 for the 180w power draw vs the 1080ti with 250w draw for an Ncase M1. I game at 1440p at the moment if that helps.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah I had an instance where I was sure my cooler mounting bracket was clear on all sides of the socket. When I clocked it 90 degrees I discovered a row of capacitors where ever so slightly making a gap and I was getting the same issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I really wish USB 3 motherboard cables weren't so thick and unwieldy.