Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

NihilCredo posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some good case options for a small file server? Or, in other words, which cases have the best [volume] : [number of 3.5" drive slots] ratio?

e: To be more specific, I might be interested in something that can hold 4 to 6 HDDs in as little room as possible.

If you don't mind a little modding (drilling some holes in the bottom and making a couple brackets) , you can fit 6 3.5" hdds and an ssd in a lian li tu100b. You have to use a flexatx psu as well. It's a nice little case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Finally upgraded my 7 year old computer, previously and i3 with an amd 6870 in an ncase m1. It's now an 8700k with an asrock fatal1ty z370 and an evga 1080. I used a be quiet dark rock tf cpu heatsink which doesn't quite fit without modification. I had to dremel off about 1/8" of the lower heatsink in order to clear the ram's heatsink. The cooler clears the gpu by about 1/4".

It's really quiet, the loudest thing in my computer now is an old laptop hdd I had been using for extra storage, which will probably be removed soon. It's a wee bit faster now, too.