Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I upgraded to a Silverstone SG13 last December. It's a good case.

Click for more pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Is there any value in an Atom-powered Nettop from ~2010? We apparently stuck it in a drawer, and forgot about it until now.

2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, nt-330i Foxcon system...

LibreELEC perhaps? I'm still using my Foxconn of similar vintage for that, though mine is the AMD version.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some good case options for a small file server? Or, in other words, which cases have the best [volume] : [number of 3.5" drive slots] ratio?

e: To be more specific, I might be interested in something that can hold 4 to 6 HDDs in as little room as possible.

Maybe the Silverstone DS380 would fit your requirements?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Rosewill Line-M is the smallest mATX case I've found, and it's under $50. The gaudy blue 120mm fan is entirely optional :haw:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Coldforge posted:

MSI's Aegis X barebones

Holy poo poo that case is hideous :psypop:

Looks aside, I'd pass because of the apparently non-standard PSU, which could make sourcing a replacement after the 1 year warranty period challenging.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

A SilverStone DS380 8-bay ITX case (21L) and 300W SFX power supply is about the same price as the NSC-810 (17L) alone. SFX power supplies also have room for relatively big, quiet fans compared to FlexATX.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ashex posted:

What cards are you guys using to get additional Sata ports? I've been using a Sata II card for two disks but I keep seeing latency issues during resyncs of the array.

That card is also seven years old so I've decided it's time to swap in a Sata III expansion card. Is the SYBA SI-PEX40064 a good choice? I only need it for the two disks so that seems sufficient. I'm running Fedora Core so it must be linux compatible.

The main choices for SATA cards seem to be ASMedia or Marvell based, both of which work with Linux. They can be finicky though, and a more stable and performant choice is a used LSI SAS card, like the IBM M1015 or Dell H310, both of which can be had for $50 or less on eBay.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Ivy Bridge i5 is not socket compatible with the Haswell i3. You'd need a 6- or 7-series LGA 1155 motherboard to use the Ivy Bridge chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Great trip report 1gnoirents! I also did an SG13 build a few years ago, and will echo that it's a really good case considering the price.

ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
Core i5-3570K
EVGA GTX 970
Corsair H60 CPU cooler
Silverstone 600w SFX-L power supply
Sandisk Extreme Pro 2.5" SSD
WD Blue 1TB 3.5" HDD (yes, I even crammed a 3.5" HDD into it)

Here are my build pics if anyone's interested. The order you put the components in matters a lot. I took it apart and put it back together a few times before I had everything how I wanted it.
https://imgur.com/a/ejmyy4m

I ended up selling it and going back to ATX because I had a use case for additional PCIe slots. Heresy, I know :)