Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

dema posted:

NCASE M1

That looks really sweet but I kinda hate you since you have so much space on your desk and under it. I should post pictures of my Fractal Design Core 500 sitting on a small shelf under my desk at my tiny computer space in my small apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

The Core V1 is my suggestion for being the best balance of ease-of-build, accommodation of modding / extra features, size efficiency, and definitely cost. I'd use that as a mini ITX build case reference point where if you need something that it doesn't offer, you're going to be looking at some sincere compromises from what the Core V1 offers on almost any concern in a case.

No fan filters was an early dealbreaker for me.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Nice build, but

Rabid Snake posted:

According to my thermostat, room temperature was at 78 Celsius.

That is a dangerous temperature, your body will thermal throttle and you will probably die.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Lungboy posted:

Are there any big positives or negatives for the Nano S vs the Core 500? I'm torn between them and am struggling to decide.

I own the core 500. The nano is a lot bigger, and has a window if that's your thing. I really like that the core 500 has the GPU sucking air directly through the filtered sides. Do note that the PSU has to be I think 160mm max in the core 500.

Looks are subjective, my core 500 is on a shelf under my table and I'm very happy with it, fits a large be quiet! Pure rock cooler no problem.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

well why not posted:

I wish they'd make the Core 500 without any allowances for Optical drives. I like the looks & layout, just don't want a weird useless cutout (or the logo) on the front. Is there anything like that out there?

Not that I know of, I did a lot of research and the alternatives lack fan filters or space for normal size components. The ugly front is a non issue for me since it's rotated and the front is facing a wall.

snuff fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 16, 2016

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Lungboy posted:

How precise are the case measurements for the Core 500? It says the max gpu length is 310mm and the card I'm eyeing up is 310mm...

I had a 308mm Sapphire R9 390 in my core 500 and the length was not an issue.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
My Mini-ITX build

And the actual PC under the desk (I should clean down there)

Had to get creative with my space constraints, all working out fine.

Specs are:

Intel 6600K at stock speeds, this POS CPU will not OC at all, I originally had a Fractal Design S24 AIO and it was stable at 4.1ghz but the noise was not worth it, so now I have a be quiet! PURE ROCK that is silent even under load.
ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming motherboard
16gb of HyperX Fury DDR4 2666mhz@3000mhz
Old Samsung 840 EVO SSD
ASUS GTX 1070 Founders Edition with a 125mhz OC on core, and 425mhz on the RAM. Usually sits at about 2ghz with boost 3.0. Blower style is great for this case since all the other components are nice and cool.
Corsair 550RMx PSU, silent, I don't think I've ever heard it turn it's fan on.
And the Fractal Design Core 500 case, really happy with it, loads of room, filtered everywhere and fits perfectly on my shelf.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

well done. small, quiet, and powerful.

a few questions if you don't mind - did you consider any other cases? anything in particular sway you to the Core 500? which monitor is that? what are you using for audio? I've been considering wireless bt headphones to reduce wire clutter.

I also considered the thermaltake core v1, but the dealbreaker was no filtered intake and the limited GPU length, it couldn't fit my previous GPU. The monitor is a Dell u2515h, with a Dell soundbar. The soundbar is decent but has some very low static buzz but I don't really notice it anymore, but then again I'm very sensitive to noise. The soundbar has headphone and mic jacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

There's something strangely satisfying about seeing that small odd corner being used so well.

It was also very satisfying putting it all together, made the table myself and removed the old shelf (there are more shelves above the monitor)