Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

This is the direction I'm taking my Ncase build in:

Usual 6700k / 32gb. Went with the evga z170 because the Asus was out locally and I went with a Silverstone 500w SFX-L. Reusing my current 970.

The only remarkable thing about this is that I'm going to be cramming in this Be Quiet Dark Rock TF as my cooler. It only fits onto the EVGA board in one direction (barely, touching poo poo on either side), and only goes north of the board a small amount which I think the Ncase will allow . The real test will be to see if it fits in depth. If it doesn't I can remove the top fan and figure out something else. My Ncase isn't even arriving until the end of July :( It'll be running "open" until then since my old computer was dying at a rapid rate I had to press on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

This looks great for SFF builds right now http://videocardz.com/61743/gigabyte-announces-geforce-gtx-1070-mini-itx-oc (1070 mini)

particle9 posted:

That cat is going to knock that poo poo on the floor bro.

Why do you think I am building a new computer? (Just kidding, but seriously she probably somehow got cat hair inside the cpu of my old machine which is maybe why its crashes playing notoriously stable overwatch?)

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Got my parts into the Ncase today:

That's a Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF and on an EVGA Stinger and it just about fits in. It's by far the quietest (I cannot hear this machine unless I put my head right up to it) and smallest PC ive ever built.
Other specs are 6700k, 32gb RAM, 1tb samsung ssd, geforce 970, 500w Silverstone.

I'm going to run it without any case fans and monitor temps, see if I need the extra noise/dust to keep it cool.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

kimcicle posted:

Hate to dig up an old post but are you located in the US? I'm having a hard time finding a reputable seller to buy the Dark Rock TF.

Amazon has them :)

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Mine shipped around the time they said it'd ship, which was a month and a bit after I placed the order. Just remember it takes about 4-7 days from shipping to arrive. They quite clearly do it in batches from their factory/QC process in asia and it depends on the number of orders depending on which batch you're gonna be getting.
[edit] although I remember getting an email saying it was ready to be shipped, then a week or two later I got an email from some delivery service(?) saying it had shipped, then it arrived like a day later. Weird email schedule.

tuna fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 10, 2016

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

The Ncase M1 is for sale again. It has support for mITX, mDTX and some people manage to fit in the occasional mATX board too.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

This is what I'm working on right now (v5 though, not the new v6).

So far, so good.

Nice!
My current machine (now with 1080ti) is several years old and is using an Ncase too. I decided to place an order for a new V6 for the next build because I'm not a watercooling fan, and the current crop of 16+ core cpus need a much bigger heatsink than sandwich style cases can offer. That Dark Rock tf heatsink is a monster and fits perfectly in the Ncase so I'm just going to do the same again, but this time probably add bottom vent fans to help the GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Welp, it works. Running an old 1080sc for initial setup and config...
On the to do list- prep 1080ti, install, mount fans, mount legs, mount side bracket for additional intake fan and cable management.

First impression:
SO QUIET.

edit: the chipset fan is 2/3rds covered by the rear exhaust fan... not ideal, but I'm not crazy worried about it.

Yeah, it's insane how quiet air is when you've got a huge heatsink in there. Accelero mod should help with gpu temps a bit. Some people also just de-shroud the gpu and run the bottom fans instead, which looks sick.