Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Corsair released the Corsair One PC which is their custom SFF using mostly off the shelf parts. It features two 240MM radiators on the sides using one fan on the top to create negative pressure and intake through both radiators. It's a pretty cool design and supposedly its only 12L but I'm not 100% sure that's correct. It's also fairly expensive and they don't want you upgrading it on your own, but it is pretty nice looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELG55Hzbt9g

They're trying to pull an Apple, which I can't get behind. The biggest reason to go PC has always been modularity and upgradability, and most major PC makers won't void your warranty for installing standard upgrade parts.

I understand that the GPU cooling package is application-specific, but the CPU & waterblock, RAM and drives are all standard components, and it appears to even be using an off-the-shelf mITX motherboard.

If Corsair offered this case by itself, or even as a barebones package, I would be all over it. As it stands, I can't condone their warranty policy that strictly prohibits upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

I used to think the same thing, but for the past ten years or so every time I've gone to upgrade my PC it's turned into a complete rebuild anyway. At least for me the lack of modularity isn't as much of a dealbreaker any more.

Substitute 'repairability' for 'upgradability' then; with standard components, if something fails out of warranty you just go buy another one and pop it in. Even parts for older standards (DDR3, previous chipsets/sockets) are still widely available.

If this thing has a hardware failure three years from now, good luck getting either replacement parts or any kind of repair support; they'll likely have moved on by then and tell you that you need to buy the Corsair Three or whatever.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
^^^ I've been eyeing the NZXT Manta. It has a lot of fan mounting options, but no exposed grilles so it has a nice clean look. It's not as tight as the M1 and not quite as bulky as the Bullet BH2, and all the build videos and reviews I've seen indicate that it has plenty of working room inside, and the slightly bulbous shape gives you some good cable routing options.

Personally I'm not a fan of windows, so I like that they make it in a solid-side version. If they're still making it when I get ready to start my next build (next year sometime), It will most likely be my first choice of cases.