Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

buglord posted:

ITX is an illness which takes and takes.

I went deep into the rabbit hole of ITX really quick. I hurt my leg and combined with the COVID-19 situation have been mostly staying inside since the start of September. I last built a computer in 2014, but haven't really used it in the last couple years and have been using Mac laptops, but somehow found my way to Optimum Tech videos on YouTube. In my mostly homebound situation, totally binged watched pretty much all the content over the past year or so which convinced me I need a new ITX PC, despite not having a great use case for one other than I guess I kinda wanna play Cyberpunk 2077?

Originally was set to go for an NZXT H1 when I thought I'd at least check it out in person and it ended up being a lot heavier/bigger than I expected for some reason. The NR200 which I was also considering was a bit bigger than I thought. The store also had a DAN A4, however, and really loved the size, but wasn't sure on the thermals and I was only 80% in love with the design (the aluminum sheets felt a little cheap, I don't like the curve or the way the side panels attach). I would have gone for it, but it's really expensive here ($380 USD in Japan, yikes) and for that price I wanted something I absolutely love. I thought about waiting for the Formd T1, but figured it'd be well into next year before I could get my hands on one so I ordered a Ghost S1 on Taobao (still over $350 USD after shipping...) and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Not sure if I should wait for the Zen 3 and maybe a 3070 if I can find one that fits this case or just go ahead and get a 3600 and something like a 1660 Super and sell those later on (used electronics hold their value fairly well in Japan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Been chilling here for the past couple months reading this thread as well as the PC building thread and finally ended up with a build so I thought I'd share. I haven't used a desktop PC in 6 years or so (been using Apple laptops and gaming on a PS4), but after getting a proper desk setup for working from home, I got the urge to build something.

Originally loved the design of the NZXT H1, but when I went to see it in a store, it was waaay bigger than I expected. Sitting next to it was a DAN A4, which had a much more appealing form factor, but I didn't love the design aesthetics and the case just felt a little cheap.

I was a bit torn between the Ghost S1 and the Formd T1, but as I'm not into water cooling and I wanted a case I could put together this year, I ordered a Ghost S1 off of Taobao. After a bit of customs issues and dealing with Taobao and the shipping company's (4PX) customer service (which was amazing, btw, even though Google Translate), it made its way here.

I had originally planned on getting a 1660 Super, but after seeing a post about a dude who got a 3070 working alright in the Ghost S1, I decided to splurge on a 3070 Eagle OC. I'm in Japan where stock is a bit better and pricing is a lot worse, so it was something I could just walk into the store and buy.

I use a MacBook Pro for my job (connected to the monitor in the pic below via USB-C) for text and video-heavy work, so I'm using a 4K monitor at 60 Hz - I wanted a video card to drive the monitor at native resolution at 60 FPS and the 3070 seems to hit that sweet spot.

Here's the build:

- Ghost S1
- AMD 3600 (considered a 5600X, but they're double the price here and I don't need it at all for 4K gaming at 60 FPS)
- Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro Ax (the bluetooth on this board, which I use for mouse and keyboard, is absolutely garbage on this even with the antenna so I bought a USB adapter...)
- Gigabyte 3070 Eagle OC
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200 MHz
- Corsair P1 1TB NVMe SSD (I heard the WD Blue ones were cheaper, but got this at super discount)
- Corsair SF750 (I could have gone with the SF600, but the price difference was like $10, so decided to go up as it runs silent up to a higher power draw)
- Noctua NH-L12 Ghost S1 Edition (really like how this sits perfectly against the side panel)

The CPU was more than fine with the NH-L12 (and I don't really run any CPU intensive tasks), but the GPU was screaming at full load - 80 degrees with the fans going off around 90%, which sounds like a jet engine. I put a VERY aggressive undervolt and underclock (0.850 V at 1800 MHz) and it dropped 10 degrees with the fans spinning at around 75%, which isn't silent but is fine while gaming.

After a couple days of using it, figured I'd give the top hat a try and picked one up from a local store (which got stock like a week after I ordered my case off of Taobao...) along with two Noctua NF-A12x25 fans and one 15mm Noctua fan for the bottom of the case. All installed, now the GPU runs around 65 degrees max with fans topping out at 70%, which is pretty drat quiet - gets drowned out by game sounds or even the heater in my room.

The 3070 is a pretty sweet card for this build - pretty impressed by the total trade-off of size, performance, and sound without any watercooling. I don't love the aesthetics of the top-hat, but pretty happy it managed to make it very quiet.

Setup with no top-hat:

With the top-hat:

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

abraham linksys posted:

two off-topic questions for you:

* what kind of speakers are those? i probably shouldn't ask because i finally committed to getting vanatoo transparent zeros and i'm happy with how they sound, but i'm kinda bummed how much less attractive they are than a lot of other desk speakers, such as yours :(

* is that a wooden wrist rest? is that as uncomfortable as i imagine, or is it intentionally uncomfortable to ensure you're only resting your wrists on it while you're not mid-typing (which i guess is how you're supposed to use wrist rests)

As mentioned, Audioengine A2+. Really good audio quality for their size and love the look on the desk

The wrist rest is indeed wood and is actually pretty comfortable! I was a bit hesitant, but it is indeed perfect for, uh, resting my wrists: https://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=1340

Warmachine posted:

Beautiful setup. Modest but solid build. Congrats on your first SFF build. It's really all about managing thermals in this hobby, as you've learned. My Ncase is quiet enough that the coil whine of the 3080 (:argh:) is louder than the fans in everything other than OCCT power virus mode.

Yeah, didn't know how long I'd end up playing whack-a-mole with thermals and noise. I was hoping to run without the top-hat but wasn't happy with the GPU fan noise, but feel like it ended up at a good medium.

On a complete side note, this is my first time using Windows in more than 5 years - it's pretty good. I've been pretty unhappy with Apple hardware lately (at least until they finally fixed the keyboard issue), but Mac OS was just so much more painless to use than Windows. Windows still has a couple weird quirks and all these smaller 3rd party apps are garbage (MSI Afterburner, which I used for underclocking is a prime example), but the basic Window management seems better, I like the font rendering after a bit of adjustment, and the Windows Terminal combined with Windows Subsytem for Linux 2 is a better solution than the Mac Terminal. Could very easily see myself switching away from Mac OS for work.

NicelyNice fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 16, 2020

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

CaptainPsyko posted:

I finally got my SM 580 and built the thing.
nsfw:

"Hmm, how could a SFF build possibly be NSFW? Let's see..."

"Oh."

Technology has truly brought us brightly into the future :patriot:

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
If you’re aircooling an SFF PC there’s no reason to get anything other than the 65W TDP AMD parts — nothing else can match the per watt efficiency.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any thoughts on the Louqe Ghost S1? I haven’t built a rig in about ten years, and that was some massive wheezing rgb beast. But lately, i’ve been fantasizing about a new dual boot hackintosh/gaming build in the itx form factor, and that case is close to checking all the boxes.

I’m planning on using a 5700xt, but the main limiting factor on cases for me is storage bays. I need to fit at least 3 ssds, and 1 3.5” hdd.

I love my Ghost S1, but those drives are not gonna fit - it's a tight case. The HDD isn't gonna fit in there period without a top hat and the airflow is gonna be bad on a gaming build. I would look to a different case if you want that much storage

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Butterfly Valley posted:

Has anyone else using the gigabyte b550i aorus pro had their Bluetooth up and disappear? Just happened to me, I did a bunch of googling and tried reinstalling drivers but windows just straight up refused to see any Bluetooth hardware whatsoever. Eventually I found the same issue in some amazon reviews, which was solved by disconnecting the power and making sure the PSU capacitors are empty before turning everything back on. Weird one.

I'm replacing the board anyway, because neither the BIOS flash nor the clear CMOS jumper work, and I have an issue where when I boot the PC first thing in the morning half of the time the fans spin up but it doesn't boot, so I have to turn it off at the PSU and back on and then it always works the second time. When I turn the PC off and on through the day it works fine, it only has issues when it's been powered off for a while.

I'm still getting the same model to replace it, because if everything worked it would be great, and I've already got my cables managed to exactly where they need to be for the various headers on the board so really don't want to have to tear the whole thing apart, more than I already need to to get the mobo out.

Yeah, the Bluetooth on this board is incredibly flaky. Last I heard it was getting some kind of electrical interference with other components. I eventually got it working by power cycling, but even after that the Bluetooth would cut out once every day or two for 10-15 seconds, which is just annoying enough since I am using a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I solved the problem by buying a $10 USB Bluetooth dongle and just forgetting about it, because troubleshooting an intermittent issue like that just causes headaches.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
I wouldn't bother with a CPU AIO if you're mainly playing games. Either Noctua cooler is probably alright.

The GPU will be putting off the most noise than the CPU - luckily the Ncase M1 can put fans under the GPU. When you're shopping for a new video card, look for one that will let you put a pair of fans under it to minimize the noisy GPU fans (or deshroud the GPU if you're feeling frisky).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Sphyre posted:

impulse bought a set of cables from pslatecustoms :homebrew:

I bought custom custom cables from this dude and am completely happy at like 1/6 the price of Pslatecustoms. Combined with some zipties, made the cable management very easy.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DreambigbyRayMOD