Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Save me from myself goons (No, please don't. I like this sickness)! Really, I need some sanity checking/recommendations..

For point of reference: I'm currently using a 6700k (oc'ed to about 4.6 w/ an h100iv2 keeping it nice and cool) w/ 32gb ram and an EVGA 1080SC. It does everything I need pretty drat well (which includes running a vm for work applications while gaming simultaneously) sitting in the massive case under my desk running pretty quietly.

Now, I'm jumping into the mITX world by picking up an m1 from a buddy and starting relatively fresh. I've been hemming and hawing about what to put in it, and am currently leaning towards a 2700x paired w/ an asus x470 and carrying over my GPU and nvme SSD (and probably adding a second larger one for additional capacity). I'd of course like to keep 32gb ram, but I'd need a new set since current setup is 4x8 sticks.

I'm not directly planning to OC since that would tend to push day to day thermals up in my mind, and the x would do better at speeding up on demand over the non-x. It's also tempting to wait for the 3k series and see what's coming up, but if they're already putting fans over chipsets on the new atx boards, that scares me for the smaller form factors, and would also jump the cost up I would imagine.

Given the above, for cooling, I'm torn. Any new-ish processor pushes me to a 240mm AIO for keeping quiet and cool while running for 12+ hrs a day. The AIO above could work, in theory, but could be tough to install, and I'd like to get the new machine up and running before I shut the current one down. There's one YTer that put in a kraken x52, which seems a bit $$ but had decent thermal results. I've also considered air cooled. If I go that route I'm planning on picking up a NH-U9S, with the supplied fan pushing towards rear exit where another NF-a9 will live. Also will have the requisite "intake" NF-A12x25 fans on the bottom to cool the gpu - which could even push me ot the (new to me) accelero mod.

Moving this to the top of my desk, is this going to drive me nuts with fan noise?

Thoughts/input? I'm totally open to anything at this point. I haven't actually pulled the trigger on any parts yet, so now is the time to sway me. Not cost is no object, but, let's keep it reasonable...

Everything I've read so far seems to say that this should work ok (though no mention of noise) - but I figured I'd check here too as I can't directly find a similar build offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

2nd ssd

240 AIO in my M1 (Celsius 24)

Do you have a use for your old desktop? You're not reusing the CPU/Mobo/RAM/PSU/Case/Potentially the AIO, so you have most of a perfectly good system to use for something else.

I'm shooting for m.2, and with some of the sales going on, might even achieve another nvme. The intel drives seem to be cheap-ish (~$200 for 2TB on newegg when I was looking the other day) and looked like nvme..

Thanks for the AIO info. I'm always at least interested in anecdotal evidence, so I'll look at the very least.

The current pc is the hardest justification. It really does everything I want it to fairly well and don't have a lot of use cases for it otherwise. The specs are still solid enough that I'm not hitting excessive load times or anything of the sort.

I'm sort of waffling at the moment.. I'm basically approaching this as "mid-life" crisis of sorts (at 38 I'm not quite there yet) - where some days I'm full speed ahead, and others I'm jumping back and trying not to get ahead of myself. Such is life I guess.

Thanks!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

I'm not going to tell you to not spend money on something you think will be fun to put together. I'd at least wait until Zen 2 comes out though, gives you some more time to think it over and decide if this is something you really want to do.

My M1 build is actually being used as a secondary system right now - I found mITX to be too limiting for my purposes, and the case was very frustrating to work in as I was trying to make a cool, quiet, and powerful tiny system. Moved up to mATX case, it's a lot bigger but it's very nice to be able to open it up and have access to everything and not have to disassemble everything to get to one screw that's holding in the actual part I need to replace.

e. I also don't recommend using the Celsius 24 AIO in the M1. The integrated fan controllers are nice and makes removing the side part a little bit easier, but the tubes are attached on top of the pump which makes fitting the tubes difficult.

That pretty much nails it. I need to pace myself, and I’m having trouble with that. Too excited by the hunt for parts I guess. :d:

This being a future primary box with hotter hardware also gives me a bit of pause. That could really take some downtime to tinker and “get right” which is also something I may not be able to handle given this is how I work... gotta just take a step back.

Got some hard thinking to do.

Thanks again.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

The journey begins. Picked up the ncase and bought a 1080ti from my buddy. Ryzen 3rd gen leaks sound promising. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I'm planning my build for a 3700x (planning on using an x470 board) in a ncase M1 v5 (currently w/ a 1080ti and going to put an accelero 3 in the bottom). I'm trying to figure out the best way to cool it off...

I don't think a U9S would really cut it, and am a little worried about the fitment of other larger options. AIOs will certainly work, but I'm toying with the idea of building my first custom loop.

In my head, I like the idea of having my own 240 rad w/ extra volume as an additional heat sink, and then fitting the tubing to my application instead of trying to snake around other components and squeeze the fitment. But I'll be damned if I know the best place to start piecing something like this together. I was toying with the idea of the new hydro x stuff from corsair, but have zero interest in RGB and trying to fit a commander pro in there would also be problematic. Where is a good place to start looking at the different options here?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Llamadeus posted:

I don't see why a U9S wouldn't be fine here, it's better than the stock cooler which is itself more than adequate

(not that you shouldn't build a custom loop if you just want to build a custom loop, it's just that the 3700X is a ~90W cpu with almost no overclocking headroom.)

That's part of my internal monologue... A custom loop would be fun to try, but I'm also trying not to talk myself into jumping on a 3900x. I really don't NEED the extra cores (WFH, and that stuff sits on a VM w/ 2 vcpu 8gb ram), but I'm a bit of a power nerd, so it'd be fun to have.

I'm also playing a bit pessimistic with the heat output. What I read was the U9S was barely adequate for a stock 2700x, and I just want the extra heat shedding capacity to let the 3700x really stretch it's legs. Maybe I'm overly pessimistic here though. Kinda waiting to see if/what Noctua says about the headroom on a U9S as they haven't updated their charts yet (we are still early in the release, so that's understandable).

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

In my earlier post, ncase m1.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

FWIW, nothing says you have to exhaust out the top. Indeed, hot air rises, but fans can over come that tendency and pull air in from up top as well. Cool air in the front, and not quite as cool in from up top, but you've got that fan at the back to pull the hot air out as well. Not saying it's the most efficient, but also not worth completely ignoring, no? Or maybe I'm just an idiot too. Feel free to ignore me. :v:

edit: I'm also thinking traditional case design and was referencing the bitwit YT linked before. I'm unsure of the case being discussed here.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 16, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I hadn't seen the ASUS rolled out yet. It was my go to, but after looking a bit harder, I think the gigabyte wins out. Buildzoid seemed to prefer the VRM of the gigabyte if that matters to you.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

ASRock and gigabyte both have itx offerings...

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I can’t say from experience, but the gigabytes offering seems really solid for the price. The only catch I’ve heard is it looks like the socket placement is a little different, and depending on case/cooler may be a bit of a new challenge. It’s actually made me reconsider my planned layout, but it’s not going to happen for a bit anyways so I have time to figure it out.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Can confirm, it's a pain in the rear end.

Of the two ways you can place the stock Ryzen cooler, one is impossible because the RAM is in the way and the other is a real tight fit because of the giant metal backplate assembly. I could see larger coolers not fitting at all to be honest.

My plan was c14s in an m1, but someone did it and found the top no longer closed. U9s should still be fine in my case (plan is for 3700x), but what a pain, I wanted the extra overhead of a better cooler.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Last piece of the puzzle arrives today, but not sure when I'll have time to put it together. The anticipation and simultaneous frustration is immense.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

tuna posted:

The Ncase M1 is for sale again. It has support for mITX, mDTX and some people manage to fit in the occasional mATX board too.

This is what I'm working on right now (v5 though, not the new v6).

So far, so good.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

tuna posted:

Nice!
My current machine (now with 1080ti) is several years old and is using an Ncase too. I decided to place an order for a new V6 for the next build because I'm not a watercooling fan, and the current crop of 16+ core cpus need a much bigger heatsink than sandwich style cases can offer. That Dark Rock tf heatsink is a monster and fits perfectly in the Ncase so I'm just going to do the same again, but this time probably add bottom vent fans to help the GPU.

As far as I got yesterday:

asus x570-i
3700x
NH-U9S
1080ti founders (going to accelero mod it...but it's still in current machine)
2x 2TB ex950
32gb 3200mhz (should be b-die)
corsair sf600

I'm going to do side intake nf12, and 2 intakes on the bottom. I had a buddy print out some raised feet to help airflow.

Should have it at least powered on with a spare gpu today is my hope. Then I can start setting it up and work on the 1080ti mods.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 12, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Welp, it works. Running an old 1080sc for initial setup and config...
On the to do list- prep 1080ti, install, mount fans, mount legs, mount side bracket for additional intake fan and cable management.

First impression:
SO QUIET.

edit: the chipset fan is 2/3rds covered by the rear exhaust fan... not ideal, but I'm not crazy worried about it.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I always thought my tower was pretty quiet, but I had no idea until I powered this thing on.

I can't wait to finish building it. I didn't really have the time to throw it together, but I'm so eager I kind of ignored work for a bit this morning to get it turned on.

At least I don't have any immediate RMA concerns, which is nice. So now I can step back, finish installing/updating windows, drivers, etc. Once that's done, I'll start the last steps mentioned above. Hopefully I can do some of that this weekend.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I think I'm transparent enough in that I'm still kind of figuring this whole quiet itx pc thing out...

I'll turn on DOCP to get the most out of my ram (and maybe try to bump up to 3600 from 3200), but I haven't actually gotten so far as to try and tune fan curves for both cpu and GPU... What's the go to for stuff like that these days? I think I've seen MSI afterburner for GPU. can you set the fan curves in bios for cpu and/or chassis?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Depends on your motherboard, some let you set fan curves but it's usually pretty limited. For software, Argus Monitor is good but also pretty much the only option since SpeedFan hasn't been maintained for years now.

Thanks. I know for awhile there were concerns about how monitor programs were pulling data and causing core voltage to not drop. Was that ever a problem with Argus? Didn’t see much beyond the support for zen2 mentioned in version history.

I have the sf600, must be gold though, no braided cables. But I might poach from my big tower which does.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Beverly Cleavage posted:

:words:

Aaaaand "done."

At some point, custom power cables and maybe a little better cable management. Also, I need to find a better way to manage gpu fans since they're running off the chassis fan header (so is the side intake). I'm sure there are options, just haven't done a deep dive yet. For now, it's running loosely correlated to cpu temp, and is doing ok.

I'm still migrating stuff over from the old machine, and I can't wait to relocate it/get a bigger desk, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

The plug is different, but I'll look into it. some of what I saw people doing including soldering... I'm not quite at that level.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Those were the options I had been coming up with. Nice to know I’m not crazy. Just haven’t had a chance to really explore any more in depth. Thanks for the help!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

To be honest, the only way to mount a 240 is on the side, so you'd have two 140mm fans bringing in cool air already, which would also move air around the board.

As for the bottom fans, it really depends on your plan. If you put an aftermarket cooler (see my build in this thread) on your gpu, people have used fans in either direction. If you're sticking with the stock cooler, you'll probably want intakes if you go that route, though in a v6 case, I think it's probably less of an issue and you could live without.

My air cooled m1 build is drat near silent. Where as the aio setup in my big case (oc'ed 6700k) is comparatively noisy. if you want, I can try to take a video to compare. You might be surprised.

And certainly a good note about the fit of an aio, the flip side is that it's still a small volume case, so there isn't much room anyways

Either way, definitely dig around. Good resources about builds in the ncase.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

umbrage posted:

Yeah I think I just got hooked on the AIO idea because of the Optimum Tech video (which introduced me to the M1 in the first place). He also does the double intake fans and shows a ~10C reduction in GPU thermals and I just ... had a hard time believing it, obviously. I think I'm still interested in his build, now that I realize the PSU would also vent the air coming through the AIO after it hits the board.

But it's a good point that to muck about inside, I'd always have to pull the radiator, which could get old.

Ostensibly, on the bottom intakes, you could even just 3d print some ducting (hell even just line the area below the gpu with foam? Just something to direct the air from below the case), as that's really the driving force for the gpu. IIf the gpu is sucking air from the case in general, and if it's stagnant/warm air being circulated by other fans, yeah, it could be much warmer. If you force fresh air, through fan or ducting, you'll see a corresponding change.

That's the neat thing about the case - so many options, just try not to get paralyzed by all the choices. I'm very happy with my v5 that I just finished putting together last week. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Warmachine posted:

The next round of Ncase M1 orders open up on Saturday at 9am PST, if anyone is looking for one.

Arguably one of the better cases to start in for sff. Not as many space constraints as other smaller cases. I have an older v5 I just built a month ago, and love it. V6 has some pretty nice quality of life improvements over what I did, and I still have no complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

iv46vi posted:

Looks like Asus version has 70A VRMs and tiny fan for active cooling while AsRock has 90A VRM just by their lonesome.

For anyone here with X570-i motherboards, how noisy are fans on those?

All I hear on my asus x570-i is the nf-a9 of my u9s... No complaints.