Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Good on Corsair for doing a recall, and covering shipping costs both ways. It's nice to see a company acknowledge a defect and own it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Xerophyte posted:

The old laptop I've been using for my "HTPC" -- really just running windows to stream videos from my network storage and occasionally watching twitch, youtube, etc on TV in an ad-blockable way -- has apparently decided to kick the bucket. I'm looking to replace it with a more dedicated HTPC solution. I'm not entirely sure what that looks like nowadays.

Constraints:
- Ideally uses DisplayPort. My TV is one of the weird Panasonics that uses DP for one of its two 4K-capable inputs and I'm unlikely to find anything else to plug in there.
- Can handle playing compressed media at 4K@60Hz without trouble.
- Small, assembled, quiet, reasonably designed. A black box is fine, but I don't want to solder my own Pi.
- Reasonably flexible when it comes to the software I can run. I'd like to be able to run some better HTPC-type UI, use steam link, etc.
- It would be nice if it could run some up-to-90s emulators natively so I can wallow in childhood nostalgia.
- I don't care about storage or wifi, it'll sit in a cabinet under the TV, next to my switch and NAS.
- Doesn't have to be the cheapest possible option, but I don't see a reason to spend much money on this.

I have a Chromecast Ultra but it's a little too limited for what I want, in addition to definitely not using displayport. I'm thinking the best solution is just the most cheap-rear end NUC-style mini PC I can find, but that's not a hardware segment I'm at all familiar with. Currently looking at a Zotac PI335, which is available here in Europe, is cheap (213€), and has a Celeron N4100 which I think is probably fine for my purposes. Is that a reasonable enough choice? Does the hardware matter at all for this sort of stuff nowadays? I don't need to or want to play modern PC games on this thing, but I do want it to not choke on video playback and be responsive to use. Are there other approaches, like more flexible pure streaming solutions than a Chromecast, that I should be looking at? Would I be better off outside x86-land? Windows feels like an optional expense, but I haven't really seen a better non-windows option.

Knowing your budget and country would help but you can get a micro form factor desktop like the following if they are available and reasonable price in your country. They're close to $200 on the used market in the US and have much better processors than the Celeron thing you mentioned.

Dell Optiplex Micro 7050
HP Prodesk 600 G4 Mini