Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I ordered a Streacom DA2 today along with a SFX PSU and an ITX board to transplant my 9900k/2080/h115 pro/660p into from an NZXT h500i. I don’t see much chatter about this case in here. Have I made a huge tiny mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The build quality is amazing, it's ultimately flexible re: mounting components and fans. It can fit a fairly big GPU, I have a 2.5 slot card and it could go wider.

The ventilation is extremely poor at the sides, but you can remove the top and bottom filter and it's essentially open there.

I love mine.

I am wondering about how I should set up the cooling. I’ve got a thin 92mm Noctua for the back, and then a 280mm AIO. Im not sure which if any should be an intake. My plan as it stands is to have the fans on the radiator blowing the heat out of the side of the case but I don’t really know what to do with the fan on the back.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If the aio is exhaust, could try the rear fan as intake. It'll be tight with a 280!

A small PSU helps, I used a sf600.

Have a think about how you can leverage it being pretty much open air at the top and bottom if you remove the filters too.

If the aio is mounted high up the side panel as exhaust, removing the top filter might help it intake. Worth a go.

I removed the bottom and side filter but left the top on because it looks better with it. I was able to fit everything in there, a 92mm noctua on the back as an intake, 280mm AIO as an exhaust on the side, and I’m happy to report everything works great and temps are fine. The 2080 maxed out on an hour long run of Heaven benchmark at 76c and a mild GPU OC (same as I used in my big case) maxes out at 81c.

CPU temps also looking great. This is a really cool case to build in and it was like a puzzle figuring out how to get everything in there and in what order.

I’m in love with my tiny beast pc.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

charity rereg posted:

Im running a 990 w/ 1030 GT as my HTPC, trying to bump it to a 9010 or 9020 w/ 1050ti actually for plex. I love these machines, they are a really nice little value if you can pick them up really cheap. The 3rd and 4th gen intel processors had such a long tail that they still do great for any older games and esports titles. 8GB and a cheap 240 SSD and away you go.

My daughter has an HP 8300 elite with a 3570 and and a 1050ti with 8gb DDR3 RAM and it works great even with modern games with settings turned down a bit. She just played through code vein on it with only a couple settings turned down and was able to play at 60fps no problem. These little machines are very powerful and I think it cost her maybe $250 for the whole thing (got the machine itself from a university salvage shop that had hundreds of them for $50, and then added the RAM, video card, and SSD)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SalTheBard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TaQ7KV0KuI

Case looks cool as hell! If I wasn't addicted to my 3.5" 4tb HDD I would consider swapping from my H200i.

It's a cool looking case but I hate the I/O on the bottom, and there's no way to put a bigger AIO in there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Warmachine posted:

The only hope I have of tidying this up is getting custom fittings, and custom cables. There's no daylight. None.

Pretty sure I used the wrong screws here. Gonna swap those when I got off work.

I also need cable combs.

For anyone wondering, the graphics card is salvage from the SFF this new one is replacing. I'll be doing the graphics card (and a cooling loop update) at a later date. It also desperately needs fans for the bottom intake--the amount of obstruction from those cables is directing hot air into the bottom around the GPU.

I have a Streacom DA2 and I was looking into that alphacool eisbaer LT setup for both the GPU and CPU as well but I hadn’t seen very many pics of it actually being used in SFF machines. Are you planning to add whatever your new GPU is to the loop there?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My temps are always high in the bios and figured it’s probably got a bit of a load, and it probably manages its own voltage while in there to remain stable since it’s kind of mission critical. But usually it’s only like 10c higher than in Windows when I’ve checked.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think with the 30 series cards “stayed in the 80s at full load” isn’t really a good measurement of your thermal performance because they pretty aggressively downclock themselves to stay in the low 80s. So if it gets up into the 80s, load will stay the same, but it will downclock to keep the temps from going up past 80something.

A better measurement is what clock speed it’s running consistently at when it’s up at its temperature peak, whatever they may be in your system.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just came home from Micro Center quite excited with an NR200P, ready to build but when I started gutting my existing machine (in an NZXT H210) I was reminded that when I got my 3080 I also switched to an ATX power supply

:negative:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm using an ATX in mine, just gotta use a 3d printed adapter bracket. It's cramped, but I've got a Fuma2 and 3070ti ftw3 ultra crammed in there no problems.

I don’t think I’m gonna fit a 3080 FE and a Corsair 280mm AIO in there with the PSU, but I’ll look around for some 3D printed stuff. I was going to look into mounting the radiator to the top anyway and that’s going to require some modding anyway, that might give me enough room.

edit: looks like everything will fit with this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4806769

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 19, 2021

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Z the IVth posted:

Not all ATX PSUs will fit but it's worth measuring them. If you have a 150mm or less one you will have a chance. You can always ziptie the PSU in place to get a little more clearance as well.

I tried with a 160mm ATX PSU and no amount of finangling would make it fit.

I printed a bracket but the power supply cables were going straight into the fan on the back of my 3080 founders edition in the highest position, I wasn’t able to put any fans on the top, and there wasn’t enough room to side mount the radiator so I bit the bullet and went back to micro center and got an SF750 (they had a shelf full of them)

Really love how it turned out. Nice and small, and much quieter than the h210 since the increased airflow is keeping everything cooler.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That was my regular experience when I had a 2700x without an undervolt. Idle at 30ish with spikes to mid 40’s-low 50s.

Idle is not particularly important as long as it’s in safe range (which it very much is). What are your load temperatures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If the RAM doesn’t come with a heat spreader it doesn’t need one. And most (all?) RAM that does come with one doesn’t need it either.