Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking to build an ITX system and I'm curious if a single 120mm case fan would be sufficient to air-cool high end components, like this:

Components would be something like a non-reference 2080ti to serve as an the intake, a 3700x with a Noctua D9L cooler and a 120mm case fan as the exhaust. I'm not interested in overclocking of course but I would like the components, specifically the GPU, to not be thermally limited, is this feasible?

The space I have in mind only allows for a horizontal case, thus a lot of the common SFF case options are out the window. The one I'm eyeing and used for the picture is the Lian Li Q50X:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811112568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the advice, I see that this case isn't a great option for my intended use case. Perhaps the Node 304 would be a better fit for my scenario? This is where I'm hoping to put the new build eventually:

Another Lian-Li alternative might be the Q38, it is similar to the already posted Q50 except it supports a 240mm radiator mount for a CPU cooler at the top:

http://www.lian-li.com/pc-q38/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That case is one I considered also, it would be a pretty tight fit tho as a depth of the case of 350mm would only allow for about 10mm for cables. I guess I could move it forwards a bit but the case protruding from the space doesn't seem all that great.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Lungboy posted:

Node 202 and SG13 would both fit comfortably. Whether they'd fit the hardware you want is a different matter.

I looked into these a bit and the 202 seems to struggle when cooling high end components in a horizontal orientation and the SG13 doesn't fit a 2080ti as far as I can tell. Has anyone here used a Fractal Design Node 304 or Core 500? Those are pushing it as far as height goes but should be able to fit in the space posted above.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The United States posted:

Based on those dimensions it looks like you could definitely fit a RVZ03 in there

I've looked into this some more and the RVZ01-E (same internals as the RVZ03) seems to indeed be my best option. Putting a build together in this case, it seems there's two ways to do CPU cooling:

1. Use a (relatively) high CPU cooler, the Noctua NH-L12S, and leave the case fan slot above the CPU empty
2. Use a (slightly) smaller CPU cooler, the Noctua NH-L9x65, and also put a 120mm Noctua fan in the case fan slot above the CPU

I'm wondering if there would be a meaningful difference in CPU temps between these two setups? I'm leaning towards the second variant, since that cooler would put no restrictions on RAM height but I am a bit concerned about thermals. The CPU in question would be a 3700X.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Warmachine posted:

I'm also interested in the answer to this. The FTZ01 (which I'm planning to use in my next build if I can't get my grubby mitts on a Ghost in the meantime) seems to offer the same tradeoff.

I considered the FTZ01 as well but decided against it since, as far as I could tell, the only differences are aluminum panels and a different front, which wasn't enough for me to justify the near doubling of the price in my region.

Arzachel posted:

https://www.chiphell.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=22232&page=35

The NH-L9x65 is pretty anemic for the height, I feel like you have to sacrifice ram compatibility to run a 3700x. As for the actual question, you're on your own :v: Couldn't find anyone who has actually tested both setups but my gut feeling says bigger cooler and peg one of the intake fans to cpu or cpu/gpu temps for airflow. Although I think you can fit an AIO in there which is probably the best option?

Also, if you're going to have the case horizontally, it's probably worth picking up bigger case feet. Dunno about RVZ01, but Node 202 ships with tiny 5-6mm ones which choke the intake fans.

Unfortunately I have already ordered the parts since no one was immediately screaming "don't do this" at me, I'll hope for the best as far as thermals go and will post some numbers once the build is finished.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I thin it's the most feature rich X570 board as well as offering the best vrm thermals.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Warmachine posted:

I'm also interested in the answer to this [how best to cool the CPU in a Silverstone RVZ01]. The FTZ01 (which I'm planning to use in my next build if I can't get my grubby mitts on a Ghost in the meantime) seems to offer the same tradeoff.

Unfortunately my approach with a case fan above the CPU mounted and a small cooler didn't work out so well.

Here's what I'm seeing for the 3700x under load:

87c
3800Mhz
1850rpm on the CPU and case fan

The system is very loud in this condition, to the point where I'll have to go into the BIOS again to try and see if I can get things in check somewhat.

What's also very annoying is that the fan will constantly be revving up even in very light loads, like downloading a game.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm interested in a dual slot 2080 SUPER, is the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER XC Gaming the one to get or are there other models I should be considering?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Gonna Send It posted:

Mine was $550 from EVGA B-stock, A+ would buy again. Be aware it's a triple slot, though.

Are you certain this is the same card I mentioned? The official site describes it as a dual slot card: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3182-KR

However, it also mentions a minim PSU requirement of 650w, will I be okay with my decent 500w Silverstone one?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Gonna Send It posted:

Your PSU is probably too weak for that, it depends on the CPU you're running.

That's a bummer but as I found out actually matters little as it appears I am CPU rather than GPU bound in Doom Eternal (i5 6500).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
What's a good program to stress test for clock speeds and thermals once a system has been finished? Ideally I'd like something I can leave running for a while and then get a detailed report of, for both CPU and GPU afterwards.