Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I kinda wonder if the 1070 or a polaris card will do that as well.

Fury Nano? It's faster (and shorter!) than that 970. The 970's a great card, but it doesn't win in the **FPS per inch** category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Prescription Combs posted:

Ouch. $260 USD is awfully steep.

The 3M PCIe riser cable is a good part of it alone.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

JBark posted:

It's absolutely crazy how much power consumption has come down the past couple years.

Not if you still buy AMD products! An FX 9590 and a 295X2 would cause your power meter to spin like the scene in Christmas Vacation in which Clark turns on his decorations.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 31, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

JBark posted:

What's that come out to be, anyway? Somewhere up near 800W? I really, really want to see someone cram a setup like that in a tiny mITX case now. I can find a few close examples online, but nothing that uses an AMD CPU.

Seen a system with a 295X2 and 4770K consume ~600W in a game here, and a system with an FX-9390 in it consume (using a Linpack benchmark) ~330W here.

Conveniently, the second link also has the 4770K performing the same test. The 4770K consumes 160W less in the same test. So, although it's not accounting for the exact gaming load in the first test with the 295X2, if we add the 160 to the original tests 592, we are at 752W.

There's no way you'd want to have an 800W PSU, because you are way too close to the limit there, running a CPU benchmark and some GPU intensive benchmark at the same time would probably see you kiss 800.

So this limits your theoretical build to a case that can fit a full-sized ATX PSU with a rating of at least 850 watts. No SFX PSUs for that build!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 31, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think the moral of this story is avoid ATI/AMD whenever possible for SFF builds. I didn't want to say it implicitly in the OP, but I think we all know...

Eh, CPUs, yes, graphics cards, not so much. The Fury Nano is pretty much the ultimate in tiny graphics cards. That said, most cases are designed for full length cards, making that trait.. not so useful.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I know how to make a 3D printable ITX case that's smaller than any design on the market, including the Dan A4 and everything else, I just can't model in CAD to save my life.

Long story short:

- ITX motherboard
- M.2 hard drive
- ITX-size GPU like the GTX 970 (I'm sure the 1070 will come out eventually in the same form factor): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121912

- HDPlex Pico PSU, 250w with 400w peak: http://www.amazon.com/HDPLEX-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Supply-16V-24V/dp/B00J3X7RU6

- LiHeat shielded Gen 3.0 PCIe compliant riser-ribbon cable: http://www.highflow.nl/hardware/videokaarten/li-heat-pci-e-gen-3.0-ribbon-flexible-riser-cable-black.html

- 330w laptop brick, you can get them on eBay as they used to sell them for big fuckoff gaming laptops

You use the riser card to put the GPU on the backside of the motherboard, so both the GPU fan and CPU fan are pointing to the outside of the case.

I actually own all of the parts listed above too. The whole thing works like a charm and I could cram it into a super small case, I even have a 3D printer with the build volume to do it. I just can't model for poo poo.

All it would take is a 3D print model like this...: http://www.overclock.net/t/1566316/super-small-3d-printed-mini-itx-case

... but deeper and with a divider in the middle. The motherboard mounts to one side and the graphics card is bolted/clamped in place with something on the other side, with the PCI ribbon tucked under it.

If anyone is a really good modeler, I'd pay you a hundo to design it to my specs then open-source it to the world.

Not personally fond of the huge, questionable quality laptop brick idea. I also wonder of the validity of a claim of being smaller, but ignoring the PSU. (see Xbox 360 vs PS3).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Besides, even with a full size laptop brick, you can have it down on the floor near the power strip or wall outlet. Out of sight, out of mind. It's kinda spergy to say "Well actually the case is much bigger if you count that!". Do we count the volume of the power cord too?

I don't have any cables trailing from my PC onto the floor, I attached my outlets to the table they sit on, so they're out of the way. A power brick would have to sit near the case (then, in that case, why not in it).

I guess it can differ from one desk set up to another, but I don't see how it's "spergy" to point out there's another box you need to find space for.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 10, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lungboy posted:

I'm thinking of going SFF with my next PC, purely because my current ATX tower is massive and I never use more than 1 pcie slot so it seems a huge waste of space. I'm looking at the Nano S, but I haven't seen anyone else in here talk about it. I realise it's large compared to lots of ITX cases, but is that the only reason? I don't need the absolute smallest case on earth, and things like the M1 are out of my budget, so the Nano looks good to me.

It's been mentioned a few times in the build thread, and I'm sure it has in here too, could be wrong. Plenty of good reviews out there.

Either way, it's a good case, nothing wrong with it. It's just a little larger than the guys that want to cram everything into the smallest box are looking for.

I'd definitely go for it if I was building a mini ITX box, especially if you have a GPU that needs room to breathe.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

This poo poo has been vaporware for years but I've had my eye on their webpage and it looks like we might finally see some of these spinning-heatsink coolers:

https://www.facebook.com/CoolchipTechnologies

Those are going to have serious implications for SFF and low-profile cooling. Allegedly they can cool much more quietly and in a smaller package than current coolers. Looking forward to reviews when they finally hit.

Wow, did that idea ever take a long time to come to market.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

Very close to jumping on this build. First ever PC building experience, and doing it SFF is scary, but an interesting challenge. I've watched multiple build videos on YouTube using this case, too, so I pretty much know exactly what to expect with it.

Anything stick out as a horrible idea? Or are there any better suggestions?

Also, I'm looking at something like this? for the second 2.5" drive slot, because 500gb is not going to be enough. And I'm also wondering if it's a good idea to get two optional fans for the space below the GPU. The only problem is I've read that some people have had trouble fitting both the fans and the GPU stability mount at the same time, as they use the same bracket. Are there good, thin fans? And since my MOBO only has one slot for case fans, can I even install two of them?

Oh, and also, with regard to the GPU. There's a used like new GTX 970 blower style card on Amazon for $220. Seems like a good deal? I was waiting for the 1060, but that's gonna be months before I can get one in the blower style for not super expensive, right? And I'm also feeling like I'd rather use a card I've already seen other people use with similar builds. Am I being stupid?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.34 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($160.46 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($274.92 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1133.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-17 15:50 EDT-0400

Yeah, nobody should be building with a new 970 at this point. Wait for the custom 480s or 1060s.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

snuff posted:

My Mini-ITX build

And the actual PC under the desk (I should clean down there)

Had to get creative with my space constraints, all working out fine.

Specs are:

Intel 6600K at stock speeds, this POS CPU will not OC at all, I originally had a Fractal Design S24 AIO and it was stable at 4.1ghz but the noise was not worth it, so now I have a be quiet! PURE ROCK that is silent even under load.
ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming motherboard
16gb of HyperX Fury DDR4 2666mhz@3000mhz
Old Samsung 840 EVO SSD
ASUS GTX 1070 Founders Edition with a 125mhz OC on core, and 425mhz on the RAM. Usually sits at about 2ghz with boost 3.0. Blower style is great for this case since all the other components are nice and cool.
Corsair 550RMx PSU, silent, I don't think I've ever heard it turn it's fan on.
And the Fractal Design Core 500 case, really happy with it, loads of room, filtered everywhere and fits perfectly on my shelf.

There's something strangely satisfying about seeing that small odd corner being used so well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

Speaking of last gen card heat, I got rid of my GTX 970 (read: no discrete GPU now) in my i7-4790k based Core V1 machine and my CPU doesn't throttle anymore when I throw video to transcode in Handbrake for days on end. I'm a monster for using the stock Intel cooler on it, but I didn't really think that there was that much heat to deal with when playing games or anything else intensive. But the thing that's strange is that the GPU hardly ran when I did a lot of my CPU-intensive tasks - they were mutually exclusive I figured.

I guess that's just how finely balanced (crap) the stock cooler is on a 4790K. Can't even have an idling GPU in the same case without throttling. Poor thing is crying out for a decent cooler!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 23, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

El Scotch posted:

Yes, but it can't be set lower than 33% speed, at least for my card.

You could run it from a motherboard header and use speedfan to control it based on GPU temp. That'd work down to 0%.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I just built a system in a Nano S and can't recommend it enough. If you're passionate about getting as small as possible it's not your pick, but if you just think the lingering ATX trend is silly it's a great simple choice that saves you some space while still being stupid easy to work in and shop parts for, and it's quieter than an almost identical build I have in my own R5. The only thing you have to worry about is that the PSU will block one of your GPU fans, so go for a blower or a triple fan. We used a double and it works fine, but the overclock was slightly reduced.

Also seconding the Z170 PRO GAMING nod, that thing blows most mATX options out of the water in terms of practical features, let alone mITX

I kind of feel like Fractal should have made the Nano S 3-slot, so then you've got an extra bit of space between the GPU and PSU, and you could also freely add a fan controller or some other I/O plate if you so desired, but it of course means extra size.

Actually, better idea: if the PSU could be moved to the front of the case with a power extension to the back, that would also resolve it without changing the size of the case at all.. You could also have floor intakes blowing directly on the GPU that way.

vv My guess is the only reason they don't currently design it that way is because they want to leave the front clear for giant watercooling radiators, but it would be really nice if they supplied the extension cable, a rear plate to cover the PSU hole (with power receptacle) and some mounting holes up front for the PSU so you could decide where you want it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 27, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Does anybody know if the DANCASE can fit bigger GPUs like the MSI GTX 1070s in them? A friend of mine made the mistake of getting a MSI GTX 1070 with Twin Frozr fans and it wouldn't fit in his M1.

It absolutely will fit. In a Linus Tech Tips video, they stuff an EVGA Classified 1080 in there, which, at 150.88mm tall, is larger than the MSI 1070 GAMING card.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some good case options for a small file server? Or, in other words, which cases have the best [volume] : [number of 3.5" drive slots] ratio?

e: To be more specific, I might be interested in something that can hold 4 to 6 HDDs in as little room as possible.

Fractal Design Node 304.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 9, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

cube

Unit Dimensions: 365 mm(H) x 250 mm(W) x 460 mm(D)
14.37”(H) x 9.84”(W) x 18.11”(D)

I'm not sure what part of that is cube-like. Hell, even the "cube" style cases which aren't actually cubes at least look vaguely like one. This just looks like a dumpy tower.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 10, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

japtor posted:

Isn't that basically like the Ncase M1 at that point?

But with soundproofing and no top vents unless you really want them, which makes it more attractive to me, at least.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Scott Forstall posted:

Fractal announced the Define C and Define C Mini. The mini is still 33L in volume which doesn't feel that small, especially as it's mITX only. I'd want something sub 25L for that.

Mentioned it earlier, the Mini is microATX, just like the older Define Mini, not mini-ITX. For that, there's the Define Nano S already.

vv Yeah, it's not a small case, but I was just pointing out the Nano is the mini-ITX version, not the Mini. Ah, naming schemes.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 3, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Node 304 will take up to 6 drives, a full ATX PSU and a full length card if so desired. Be mindful of the PSU size and card length if you go that route, though.

The problem is width, "cube"-style cases aren't actually smaller in any reasonable use case at a desk than a narrower tower

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Photex posted:

i'm curious does AMD/ATI do Mini ITX versions of their cards?

What about the Fury Nano? The origin of FPS/inch!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 23, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

jokes posted:

I'm at a crossroads. I really like using a small case that is VERY silent (100% silent at rest) that can run video games at very high resolution, so everything is already an uphill battle.

I currently use a Node 202 with a 970 and 6500. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a 1080 and 7700k to take advantage of my new 1440p@144Hz G-sync monitor. However, the Node 202 has very little space for a nice CPU cooler so it might be prudent to simply get the 7700, so I don't have to mess around with overclocking and worrying about CPU temps (my current Noctua is very silent and efficient). Since I won't be able to get a sufficient cooler for overclocking, I THINK I should just get the 7700 but I don't know-- maybe someone here knows better.

As far as graphics cards go, I'm curious if a 1080 is even a prudent choice since as I understand it, they can't even sufficiently carry 1440p@144Hz without SLI poo poo. Would the 1080Ti even be able to carry that performance?

e: or I could just get another very small and very cool case. That Dan A4 looks good, but I guess they're not available.

If you're looking for silence you need a case that has a decent amount of space for cooling and decent sound proofing, the Nano S is a good option, even though it's not a really small case. 2560×1440 @ 144Hz is a hard task, a Titan XP won't be wasted in that situation, but it's a lot of money to spend, and it definitely won't run silently.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Any changes making a case "roomier" is objectively bad.

I guess you didn't watch the video

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

garfield hentai posted:

Eh well looks like my CPU (2500k) is bottlenecking the 1080ti pretty significantly so that's as good an excuse as any to blow even more money on even more upgrades and go mini ITX while I'm at it.

The Dan A4 and Ghost and stuff is cool just for the novelty of it, but for cases that are actually reasonable I like the looks of the Node 202 a lot. I've been seeing that a blower style card cooler is actually preferable to the open air one I have (EVGA SC2), but also that if I put some slim case fans in there it'll work just fine. Are there any recommended brands (I assume Noctua because everyone loves Noctua I guess) and recommendations as to push/pull/both/whatever? Also are the low profile CPU cooler recommendations in the OP still the go-tos?

I recently built a machine in a Node 202, and I came to the conclusion that the Noctua NH-L9i with a NF-A9 PWM fan swap was pretty much the best I could do. So that's exactly what I went with. The NH-L9i comes with longer screws to allow installation of a 25mm thick fan.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

garfield hentai posted:

That's pretty much the same fan but a bit thicker, right? Does it make that big a difference if I don't plan on overclocking (although I did end up getting a K CPU over my initial plan of an 8400 since the 8600k was $230 at Microcenter but still eh I dunno)

Yeah, it's pretty much the same fan but thicker, so it pushes more air for the same amount of noise (or less noise for the same amount of air). It's probably not necessary at all; I was just trying to optimise the cooler as much as possible, seeing as options are pretty limited.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Llamadeus posted:

Most GPU enclosures are basically the same size and price as the DAN Case, so I don't see the benefits outweighing separating the GPU and downgrading the processor to a NUC class CPU.

So much this. NUC + external GPU makes no sense vs a mini-ITX build in an Dan A4. The NUC solution would be much more unwieldy; use non-standard parts, and be slower.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Moey posted:

It seems Intel consumer chips have had this poo poo IHS problem for a while now. Your next step up for 8th gen is an i9 for like double price.

Still not soldered :(

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Full Copper Cryorig C7: http://hexus.net/tech/news/cooling/117383-cryorig-c7-cu-full-copper-heatsink-cooler-released/

I just wish they'd stop using that non-standard fan mounting....
It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up, anyway.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 22, 2018

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

stray posted:

I wish there were more good Mini ITX server boards; AFAIK ASRock Rack is the only one who makes them.

SuperMicro

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Salted_Pork posted:

There's a brand that makes something called the puck, which uses an mxm gpu, and is much smaller than normal egpus, but considering the gpu is about half the size of a dancase any normal sized egpu is going to be about half that. I'm surprised there are no 17 cm gpu egpus, since thunderbolt connection is the limiting factor.

It was actually listed in that link:- Sonnet is the make.
However, it costs £516. For a Radeon RX 560.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeep posted:

I built most of a Dan-A4 system late last year and when my old graphics card died and I was running off the Intel iGPU it was basically silent. The Noctua NH-L9i is quieter than the WD Red spinning disk in my passively cooled fileserver in the same room.

This is what I have now:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - TridentZ RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card
Case: DAN Cases - A4-SFX V3-B Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Silverstone - 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-15 12:44 GMT+0000

The Radeon VII fits much better than my old HD7970 where I had to take the backplate off (which is probably what killed it, I thought I could get away without re-pasting the heatsink and I did for about 3 months) and temperatures are fine. It's very loud under load but that's a problem with the card in a normal case too and it gets much better with a small undervolt.

I tried fitting an Asetek AIO but I couldn't get the pipes to fit over my RAM so I gave up after accidentally snapping the USB3 header off my motherboard trying to squeeze everything in.

I'm really happy with the case now, although if you asked me during the 2 days I spent trying to get my original set of components to fit you'd have got a very different answer.

Thank you for buying a Radeon VII. Fighting the good fight. We need competition, after all.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 16, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What's the best air cooler, at or below 145mm height?

Cryorig h7 plus? It's for a 2700x in a streacom da2.

I can see the Streacom DA2 has a side panel with holes... a Noctua NH-C14S might be a good fit - pulling cold air directly from the side down onto the CPU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

It's definitely not "SFF", and I'm not crazy on the aesthetics, but this ATX in Micro-ATX case design is exactly what I'd like to see become more popular going forward. For those of us who don't care about water cooling, I think there's a lot of wasted space in your average ATX/Micro-ATX tower, especially with NVME drives becoming so cheap there's just no need for so many drive mounts. A Micro-ATX version of this would be smaller than many mini-ITX cases. Yeah you're restricting CPU air intake somewhat at the front, but imo I prioritize airflow to the GPU more as I'm not a huge overclocker.

I'd also like to see Micro-ATX boards be the absolute norm, Mini-ITX be readily available, and ATX be relatively niche. There's usually no call for a lot of PCIe slots, but at least with Micro-ATX, one has space for a wireless card, for example, and has space for potentially more NVMe slots than Mini-ITX.

I find it puzzling that so many builds use full ATX boards with nothing but a graphics card.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Every time I see a pc case with mesh top panels I feel as if I’m going to spill Mountain Dew all over in it.

LAN Parties have ruined me :smith:

What’s the easiest, affordable and quiet “small” case these days? The NZXT looks like the most practical?

Vented top panels aren't for me either. It's just an extra risk
That said, some of the smallest designs wouldn't really have airflow without it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 5, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Stickman posted:

Working Intel cpus and motherboards fetch decent prices on ebay!

This can't be understated. It's mental what people will pay for a 3770K or even a 2600K, let alone a 4790K.. basically, if it's less than 10 years old and is overclockable, there's a market.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lungboy posted:

The new Fractal Era looks interesting and I was hoping that coming from Fractal it would be reasonably priced but nooooope.

It doesn't have appreciable ventilation on the bottom, where the GPU could actually breathe. It basically ruins the case. I don't know why they did that. Such a shame, because I really like the look of it, especially with the wood panel.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Maxwell Adams posted:

Seems like you could just stick some feet to the bottom to fix it. I bet GamersNexus will do that in their review.

It doesn't have any real area for intake on the bottom, though; you'd need a perforated bottom panel. It only has tiny slits along the lower edges.

I don't understand it - fractal have been great about having case floor ventilation before, and some models have those great full-length filters that can be accessed from the front. Would have been perfect here.

orcane posted:

the 80mm fan is completely inadequate

It doesn't help that the grille is incredibly restrictive. It's pretty ugly.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 19, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Stickman posted:

That and/or drill some exhaust ventilation in the Node 202’s GPU chamber...

Yeah, that's the main issue with the node 202. I really like it, though.

I've made a real effort in mine to remove restrictions - no 2.5" drive cage, very neat cable routing and so on. Some decent intakes with good static pressure like the Noctua A12x25s as I have then can ram the air over the gpu (which I've totally removed the shroud and fans from) and through the gaps and out the top by the CPU (I have it standing upright, the only way a node 202 can really be used)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

denereal visease posted:

And they decided to cool the 3950X with an NH-L9A :pwn:

Yeeeah, I replaced mine for a larger cooler (ID Cooling IS-60) in my node 202 because the nh-l9a wasn't great for a 3600, let alone a 3950x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Aww man, I also currently have a Node 202 and am considering a 3700X to upgrade, and the NH-L9a is my current cooler choice :( Would sticking an intake fan onto the CPU vent help, as some build guides/videos I've seen seem to suggest?

Don't get me wrong, it worked, and was OK, but it had to ramp up quite a bit, and I figured with a better heatsink I'd get a bit more boost headroom.

Arzachel posted:

Some guy replaced the CPU vent filter with a 140mm Noctua fan but it looked like it was holding on just the rubbery tabs through the vent mesh which might be a bit flimsy. Alternatively, there's a 3d printable duct model available for the NH-L9a so it gets fresh air instead of recycling GPU exhaust.

Fwiw, I also got a LS-60 and replaced the fan with a low profile Noctua 120mm.

Yeah, I also have the Noctua on mine, I didn't consider using the fan that came with it. Shame the mounting hardware on the IS-60 isn't anywhere near as nice as the Noctua NH-L9a, but it performs better.

Back to the NH-L9a duct suggestion; 3D printable ducts are a bit over the top - when looking at the NH-L9a packaging, I was inspired - the foam insert in the box of course has a 92mm square cutout, and. It happens to have enough thickness to bridge the gap between the fan on the NH-L9a and the side of the Node 202. Just cut off some of the excess with some scissors, and it fits. No 3D printing needed, one perfectly fitting custom duct for free. It is a good idea, because it stops hot air recycling.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 5, 2020