Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Quick introduction: Due to dumb, last year I decided to start a plan to buy an old fashioned, manual supercar before I was 30, despite not knowing how even do manual at the time.

Somewhere into this plan, brain got involved:

quote:

this is brain

dont learn manual in supercar

i will die

So, like most people do when they want to learn, I bought an old, unmodified Honda hatchback; you know, a JDM Integra Type R.

Anyway, it turned out to be surprisingly amazingly kickass and probably the best introduction to a manual car ever, but I digress.

While some of manufacturers these days staple an "R" onto the edge of a badge, add bucket seats and go home, Honda decided that everyone who bought one of these needed to suffer:

-Alcantara-wrapped rocks carefully camoflagued as seats
-Ride stiffness set to 'kidney transplant'
-Sound deadening reduced to 'none'
-8700rpm redline, because we can
-Gearing: 3500rpm in 6th gear to do 100kph; 1st gear redline at about 40kph
-No drive by wire no ABS no TCS no centre console no cigarette lighter no pants on
-Inclusion of mysterious JDM explosive road flare to burn down the evidence when you crash

The commitment to design in these cars was such that when I later got the Z07, I found the dedicated track car would ride like a Rolls-Royce compared to the Type R.

Anyway, the Type R was probably the best and worst possible choice to learn manual in - an unforgiving clutch and super tight gearing forces you to be fast and smooth lest the car buck you out of the front window for the crime of missing a heeltoe by 50rpm, and the flywheel barely weighs 10 pounds which means you get no leeway at all for any mistakes.

But once you get that down, fierce gently caress is it an insanely great car - it makes anything else from the JDM 90's feel like driving the titanic by comparison. As much as the car punishes every little mistake, it makes you feel like Ayrton Senna on angel dust when everything comes together. Once I get enough material I will post a glurge about the driving experience but I should probably move on for now.

This particular car is also a bit special, being both the higher performance JDM version (rather than the lower revving AUDM model), and being possibly the last completely stock DC5 ITR in the country, having not had its power output destroyed by a stupid rear end pod filter and potato cannon exhaust.

While my original plan was to sell it on after learning on it, it turned out to be far too good to be discarded like that - especially with it being a bone stock car - so I started trackdaying it instead. Even being slow as fug as I am, it massively outperforms its chassis (note this is shot with a wide angle lens, so we're close to bumper to bumper in reality):

FQ Evo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYDikISKos

RZ Supra TT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm6dxKSplpc

With some performance tires and brakes, this car'd have no trouble keeping pace with a brand new M4 or more - for now I'd rather keep it on economy boots so that I learn to maximize what little traction it has though.

Also, here's me racing my father in his E36. We are giving each other fonzie looks.

However, trackdays do take their toll.

I will post a boring ramble about my Z06 and the insane terribility of my VK Commodore beater once I get some time tonight.

Spades fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
As for the Corvette (long E/N story ahead, skip to pictures if you want):

About four years ago I decided to buy a Cayman S, as my desire for a nice sports car outstripped my actual logical decision making capacity. While doing so, I tested a big pile of sports cars as well as a Ferrari 355. The 355 was definitely one of the best cars I've driven, but the cost of ownership being about $30,000 a year turned me off, but I stuck it in my mind I'd get something like that someday.

To do this, I started a consulting business, and managed to land a very solid client, who I still consult for to this day. With the resultant cashflow putting me in the place to buy a Gallardo via cash in full, I got in touch with a dealership that dealt with second hand prestige cars, and even found a rare Manual model.

The day that I'd test drive my new supercar was set...

...And the Gallardo was complete poo poo. It didn't help that the Type R had conditioned me to enjoy a proper hardarse suspension, but basically every feature of the car was dissapointing, from the gearbox, to the power, to the sound, to the understeerious handling.

So I figured I might try some top of the line sportscars instead to see if those got me what I wanted.

The M4 was alright, but sounded like a diesel truck. The C36S AMG had the power and sound I wanted but didn't come in manual. The F-Type Jaguar Manual might have influenced my color choice on the z06 a bit...

But handled softer than a slipper, had a gearing as wide as a 3 speed and was slower than my Cayman, so I gave up on that too.

So about this time the Z06 had come out and boomers were complaining loudly about it being supercharged and riding too hard for their athritis and how they preferred the LS7 and how they didn't like this newfangled direct injection and that their '73 Dart was a better car anyway, which are boomer codewords for 'this is actually a good car'.

So I tried to look into it. At the local grey importer dealership, I was pretty much told to gently caress off because I couldn't possibly have the money to buy a Z06 at 27 years old, and that even if I could, I would have to buy it before I could test drive it anyway.

So that was off to a good start.

Luckily, I got in touch with Rod Bunce from Bunce Motors, who was a loving top bloke in general and went out of his way to let me test drive a Z06, even calling in a personal favor from a friend who owned one when they didn't have one on the lot.

It took me all of five minutes of driving one to agree to buy a top trim C7Z06, aka a Z07. And then it took six months of bizarre delays (like Rod dying of a brain hemorrhage, the car's title being lost, being impounded for suspicion of drug trafficking and a dockyard strike).

Anyway, the Z07 is finally the supercar I actually wanted - not interfered with by automatic gearbox or AWD, loud as hell, scary fast when pushed and stiff enough to rattle your eyeballs out of your head. Despite being a Corvette it has the kind of gearbox and driving characteristics you'd expect out of a much more expensive car; it might even a fair comparison to Porsches now.

Strangely, after first being apprehensive about any luxury features being on the car, I'm impressed now you get stuff like a leather interior, heated/cooled seats, a heads up display, good audio options, magnetic ride suspension, parking and reverse cameras and other things which are convenient without really making the car an outright luxury barge. These are the kind of things you'd have to option for extra on a BMW or Porsche but come packed in for free with the car - it impresses me that the C7 is not just a power-per-dollars car.

The plan is now to take the car to a skidpan and race track soon so I can really get a feel for it.

these look like great wet weather tires

Spades fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 19, 2016

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
And now carthartis time:

Shortly after buying the Integra, I got the idea that the Z07 would not take that long to get in-country, so it would be a good idea to sell my Cayman S to free some money up for a few sets of street tires on the new car, bringing me to down to one car left.

So I went racing again and after several hot laps, immediately pitted and pulled the handbrake up on reflex.

Brain got involved again.

quote:

wat r u doing

you dropkick oval office

But it was too late and the pads and discs basically fused into a solid block of sadness, leaving the ITR laid up for a while as new discs and pads got sourced in (overnight from Japan was not an option).

So I had to call on my father to let me borrow one of his old beaters to make do for a few weeks.

The car I got was...

...nooooooo good.

It's a 1.5 million kilometre Commodore which is only kept alive due to a spiteful, caininist condemnation from God.

I've posted this to the Terrible Car Stuff thread so I'll self-quote the story behind this thing:

quote:

About a year ago I posted a brief rundown of my Father's insistence on living an episode of Bush Mechanics with an ancient and horrendous VK Commodore.

Since then the car finally decided it had enough and simultaneously destroyed its driveline, transmission, clutch and flywheel in what I presumed was the automotive equivilent of a mercy killing, but my dad is addicted to fixing the unthinkable so he transplanted new running gear into a car that was already an automotive disease festival.

Most of it can be explained by the odometer:

(This would already be a lot of kilometres for a shitbox like a Commodore if it hadn't rolled over once already.)

Mechanically, the car is hosed.
-Radiator physically fell out of the car due to the mounts rusting away, so was tigwelded back in
-Engine has been bored and sleeved with larger pistons because the original pistons had worn the block impressively oval
-Power steering fluid keeps disappearing. It doesn't seem to leak anywhere but it just vanishes. So a bottle of fluid is concealed under the cowl for on the road topups.
-Fuel injection replaced by carb and air cleaner from a 1980's era Falcon
-Head replaced because it was warped from the factory courtesy of GM quality control
-Suspension is ruined enough that the car rides extremely hard on bumps and will lean 15 degrees at the suggestion of a corner
-Exhaust recirculation system removed and replaced with nothing
-Factory original intake/exhaust crossover, which helps with the car's overheating problems and contributes to occasional vapourlock.

Interior wise, the car is hosed.
-Ignition column starts without a key. This is okay because the key itself is a car thief's hand-filed masterkey
-Seats spontaneously disintegrated a while back, so both seats have been replaced by color-clashing seats from different models of Holden
-Steering is so worn that the steering wheel is upside down at neutral, but that's okay since it takes about 180 degrees of turning to get any response out of it
-EFI choke replaced by automatic choke. Automatic replaced by manual choke attached to hood release handle
-Car started to eat batteries while off; added manual battery killswitch
-New running gear didn't fit the old pattern. Centre console replaced with nothing
-Steering column shroud replaced with nothing
-Windows only open half way down. Sometimes they go back up
-AC stuck in 'slightly warm, footwell' settings. Interesting and annoying as the AC isn't even connected

Makes 80HP at the wheels and gets about 20MPG, but at least the brakes work.

the driving experience is bad

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Good read, thanks for making a thread! Looking forward to seeing you track the Z07.

Spades posted:

the driving experience is bad

This is better than most car reviews.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:stare:

Holy crap, that ITR is awesome don't ever sell it.

So was the Z07 suspected of having drugs in it, or did they think you were a drug dealer? :v:

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

leica posted:

So was the Z07 suspected of having drugs in it, or did they think you were a drug dealer? :v:

A bit of both, I think - apparently, it's not that uncommon for luxury cars to get sent through Jersey docks to NZ/Australia loaded up with cocaine.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Fully sick mate.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Spades posted:

So I tried to look into it. At the local grey importer dealership, I was pretty much told to gently caress off because I couldn't possibly have the money to buy a Z06 at 27 years old, and that even if I could, I would have to buy it before I could test drive it anyway.

Please tell me that you've gone back there and done donuts in their forecourt, whilst giving them the finger.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

Please tell me that you've gone back there and done donuts in their forecourt, whilst giving them the finger.

I agree with this notion.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

Fully sick mate.

Oooooh you called him an Aussie. That's not going to go down well - you should have said Fully Sik Bro.

That Group C spec Commodore in the Supra vid was a hell of a surprise. Plus I'd love to get my hand on that Z07. Unf

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Yeah, that Commodore's been built to hell and back, the guy who runs it is a friend of a friend and I got to take a look all the way through. Thoroughly built up engine and running on mile wide semislicks all round - interior's all stripped out and even the rear doors have been sliced up to fit the rear wheels.

Was keen to see if I could tail him through the infield, but got blocked by the Supra so no luck on the day. We did make a point that we'll have a proper match once I get used to the Z06 though - power to weight should be close.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Ugh you even have a white DC5R, god drat you. That thing is beautiful, don't ever sell it

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would like more details on the Commodore too. I liked the original post about it, and bad cars are good cars.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I had a DC5 Type R about10 years ago now. It was so good someone stole it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Spades posted:

Despite being a Corvette it ...

I love the new Corvette for this. It is a game changer. Speed/power/handling of cars several times its price, and the look of a true supercar.

I saw this first-hand last week when I was with my girl waiting for her to get onto the school bus. The guy with a new white Ferrari pulled out from the road opposite us and... hell... it's a nice damned car, can't really argue with that. But within 2 minutes, a new white regular Corvette went by the same way and its look, sound, presence was VERY similar.

No way I would pay 3x (or more) the cost of a new Corvette for something more exclusive, but objectively not "better." Plus, you can beat the poo poo of of the Corvette with impunity.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

meatpimp posted:

I love the new Corvette for this. It is a game changer. Speed/power/handling of cars several times its price, and the look of a true supercar.

I saw this first-hand last week when I was with my girl waiting for her to get onto the school bus. The guy with a new white Ferrari pulled out from the road opposite us and... hell... it's a nice damned car, can't really argue with that. But within 2 minutes, a new white regular Corvette went by the same way and its look, sound, presence was VERY similar.

No way I would pay 3x (or more) the cost of a new Corvette for something more exclusive, but objectively not "better." Plus, you can beat the poo poo of of the Corvette with impunity.

Yeah, the look of the car is sometimes divisive but I don't think anyone can disagree it's now distinctive and less cheap looking than the C5 and C6.

I can't really overstate how much stuff you get for what the car is - the magnetic ride suspension (and suspension setup in general) is super well done, leather interior comes as base (M3s are still coming with plastic interiors when unoptioned, ffs), you get a choice in transmissions (neither feels like an afterthought, unlike those in the F-Type and M3), great MPG (I usually beat the Integra's mileage on my trips to Auckland) and if you get the Z07 package (which only costs about $5000) you get $40k worth of gigantic carbon ceramic brakes, semislick tires, removeable aero parts and a telemetry recorder.

also you get a targa top so you can pretend to be burt reynolds

Also-also, the (toggleable) auto revmatching is actually really cool. It literally seems to hold the revs in perfect lockstep to the road speed - it makes the transmission almost too easy, since all you need to do is choose a gear; no heeltoeing, no revmatching and no muscle memory required. It even works going up gears as well as down, so if you miss an upshift it can match the difference when you find the gear.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

leica posted:

I've owned something around two dozen cars over the years now. Never have I kept a car longer for three years, with one exception.

1998 USDM ITR#134.

Spades posted:

-Gearing: 3500rpm in 6th gear to do 100kph; 1st gear redline at about 40kph

Seems familiar.

I'd guess the DC2 is all the intensity of the DC5 with less refinement. If these cars had spirit animals, I'd guess it the Honey Badger.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 20, 2016

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

DC2 also had all round double wishbone suspension while the DC5 just had MacPherson.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Cruising at 70mph in 6th is 4k RPM for me. High redline engine life

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

DC2 also had all round double wishbone suspension while the DC5 just had MacPherson.

Yeah, this was always considered a compromise in the DC5's design and part of why both tuning companies and Honda fans seem to like them less than the other Type Rs. In practice it doesn't make much difference on the track, as most of the Type Rs perform more or less the same with the exception of the hugely improved FD2.

Also, bogan redneck raceworks time -

The C7's pedalbox is good, except for the way that the accelerator seems to be about a half inch too deep into the footwell to easily heeltoe with. I would presume this is to prevent baby boomers accidentally locking the rear up when they try to drive the car to church in steelworking boots, since it does mean you can't accidently press the accelerator and the brake at the same time.

Either way, since I like to manually heeltoe around town, this is annoying, so with the power of cable ties, plywood offcuts and zero time wasted on painting prep, I made an accelerator pedal extender:

press the licorice pedal

Even though this seems dumb as hell, it works really well, so I'm going to look at getting an improved version made from billet aluminum, including a recess on the back of the extender to properly locate it on the accelerator instead of crappy cable ties.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm so spoiled by my bmw when I drive something like a civic that can't really be heel-toed it drives me crazy. Surprised something like a corvette wouldn't have that ability.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

trouser chili posted:

1998 USDM ITR#134.

:swoon:

I'd double check it didn't get stolen after you took the photo though :ohdear:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd be paranoid every time I took it out of the garage :tinfoil:

Spades posted:

most of the Type Rs perform more or less the same with the exception of the hugely improved FD2.

The FD2 is an ugly sedan though :colbert:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

opengl128 posted:

:swoon:

I'd double check it didn't get stolen after you took the photo though :ohdear:

Mr. Chilli at one point stated some of the counter measures regarding route randomness he uses when he takes it out.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

revmoo posted:

I'm so spoiled by my bmw when I drive something like a civic that can't really be heel-toed it drives me crazy. Surprised something like a corvette wouldn't have that ability.

I think it would be fine if I didn't have huge feet (size 12.5 width, size 11 length) - it means I end up hitting the footwell with my heel unless I choke up on the brakes a bit.

It may be a factor of familiarization with driving on the left hand side of the car too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Fortunately we are getting the new Civic Type R in the US. Unfortunately, it's a little too over-the-top looking for my tastes. I like the somewhat more subdued look of the two posted in this thread!

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

A revision later and it feels about right, though I need to do some threshold braking to make sure it's still possible to reach up onto the pedal at the limit.

dont make fun of my cableties this helps

it really helps

In general, the pedalbox is pretty cramped on a C7 because of the torque tube tunnel right next to it, so getting the muscle memory down will be key to not locking the car up on the track when kicking the carpet instead of the accelerator.

Also the Integra's headlights have done that thing all Hondas do where they turn terrible yellow-white-opaque so I'm going to fix them this weekend and possibly install the performance brakes for the next track day.

Few more trackday clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2j8dSKq0_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVeVOSWVTs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZwcPIN44uo

Overall times are still rubbish as I need to learn how to exit corners in FF - but I didn't have any trouble passing most of the other cars on the day. It seems like changing from econo pads and middle-tier performance tires to race pads and semislicks would get me pretty close to my goal of 1:14 on gear alone, but I don't want to learn bad habits due to infinite grip.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fortunately we are getting the new Civic Type R in the US. Unfortunately, it's a little too over-the-top looking for my tastes. I like the somewhat more subdued look of the two posted in this thread!

All in the name of marketing, I think - I feel like the Type R's more relaxed appearances before was down to them being pure mechanical machines without a major emphasis on branding, while Honda's trying to retake its 90s reputation nowdays, so is trying to cash in on the idea that the people who bought and ruined EP3 breadvans with coilovers and chromespray wheels might have more money rolling around ten years later.

It's a good thing, though, that the new Type R does keep up its trend of being way, way, way better than all of its competition and yet having the press denounce it because it's not European and doesn't come with butt massagers. In a race car.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Spades posted:

A revision later and it feels about right, though I need to do some threshold braking to make sure it's still possible to reach up onto the pedal at the limit.

dont make fun of my cableties this helps

it really helps

There;s something marvelous about the latest piece of fine automotive engineering requiring a block of wood and cable-ties to work properly.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

trouser chili posted:

sex on wheels

100% serious here, if you ever sell this car or even think about selling it, please send me a PM first.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Spades posted:

All in the name of marketing, I think - I feel like the Type R's more relaxed appearances before was down to them being pure mechanical machines without a major emphasis on branding, while Honda's trying to retake its 90s reputation nowdays, so is trying to cash in on the idea that the people who bought and ruined EP3 breadvans with coilovers and chromespray wheels might have more money rolling around ten years later.

It's a good thing, though, that the new Type R does keep up its trend of being way, way, way better than all of its competition and yet having the press denounce it because it's not European and doesn't come with butt massagers. In a race car.

I would love a white Type R with white wheels :whatup: a super cut-down spoiler or no spoiler at all, and removal of all the retarded looking external aero. Sure, it might be a little slower, but I really don't need to be at 10/10ths on my way to the Super 88 Market.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just Googled it. Yeesh, way over the top and frankly disappointing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Spades posted:

-Inclusion of mysterious JDM explosive road flare to burn down the evidence when you crash
I need to know more about this. Just ... because.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

leica posted:

I'm really hoping and praying for the new, hot 2018 CR-Z, with a slightly de-tuned Civic Type-R engine (280 hp???) and say a conventional 8-sp automatic with flappy paddles (no fing CVTs!!!!). If they bring this out next year I will be the first to deposit/order one.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 24, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

spog posted:

There;s something marvelous about the latest piece of fine automotive engineering requiring a block of wood and cable-ties to work properly.

To be fair, it heel-toes for you. This is for him. The car will do it better than the driver and get it right every time.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Krakkles posted:

I need to know more about this. Just ... because.

Some inspection law in Japan requires cars to carry a road flare with them for emergency signalling, which is usually a standard phosphorous flare to my knowledge, the kind that's also good for burning your entire body off at the slightest contact.

I think they're meant to be removed when exported, but as far as I know there's no law in New Zealand stating that you're not allowed flares in your car. I took mine out because it seems like cars are flammable enough without a superheated roman candle ready to unleash itself with minor provocation.

If you google "JDM road flare" you'll see examples of what they look like; most cars seem to have them held by a ring mount in the passenger footwell. You can also buy duds and LED versions to stick in USDM cars, which sometimes still have the mount point in the usual place.

Larrymer posted:

To be fair, it heel-toes for you. This is for him. The car will do it better than the driver and get it right every time.

It can do this, yes, but it cannot recreate the thrill of slipping off the brake, missing the shift, grinding the gearbox, locking up the differential and swinging sideways into a sandtrap like real heeltoeing can.

Spades fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 24, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Radiohead71 posted:

I'm really hoping and praying for the new, hot 2018 CR-Z, with a slightly de-tuned Civic Type-R engine (280 hp???) and say a conventional 8-sp automatic with flappy paddles (no fing CVTs!!!!). If they bring this out next year I will be the first to deposit/order one.

Is this wishful thinking or actually a rumor or something :allears:

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

leica posted:

Is this wishful thinking or actually a rumor or something :allears:

Yes. Actually, it is a rumor but with some meat behind it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-honda-cr-z-rendered-may-ditch-hybrid-for-new-turbo-news

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:captainpop:

drat, that would be the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

leica posted:

It will certainly have the performance credentials, though.

• Locked thread