Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Don't open the hood of a burning car. It introduces a new large source of oxygen and can make a bad situation worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Good point actually - in the hurry to un-fire a car I suppose it's easy to forget like, chemistry and stuff.

The Silvia's paint is almost getting to the point it's hard enough to actually work with now, which is a bit of progress at least. A couple of dents that weren't visible before putting decent paint on the car have made themselves known so I'm going to have to try knocking those out - fortunately epoxy is pretty high build paint so it should be able to mask them alright.

Brakes have arrived too but I'm out of time to install them so when I'm next free up I'll go ahead and do stuff with them.

The Commodore might actually have somebody interested in buying it for some reason so I'll see what becomes of that.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
So, the projects are going well and there's a potential for a pretty decent payout once we finish completing the first round sales.

(There is also a potential for nothing to happen and I have to find a new client)

With this in mind, I was considering whether I should go off the deep end completely and buy a car which makes a car like the McLaren P1 compare like a bloated, slow pig:

I wouldn't even be close to buying until the end of the year, and that's if the project turns into something in the end. I seem to remember a goon or two out there has an Ultima GTR - anyone know of them or can chime in on how they are?

Spades fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 24, 2017

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Bit of an update stack since not much too noteworthy has happened in a bit -

New trackday booked in for 17 March in the Integra, will see if the new work I've done works out good or not.

Fitted some stainless steel braided brake lines to the Integra as the existing lines were very soft, probably from previous overheats weakening the line's rigidity. Also picked up some green project mu brake pads which are a hell of a lot more aggressive than the previous ones. However, while changing the lines enough air got into some U-bends in the hard lines that normal bleeding won't get it out. I'm going to drop it off to get blown free later this week and also get the wheels aligned.

on the ups my wheel arches now have a Takata-DOME color scheme

and yes, like on every car, the massive amounts of curb rash are from the previous owner

Friend was parting out an R33 Skyline and looking to make some money on the parts so they dropped off some clouded as gently caress headlights for me to play around with.

Managed to clear them up decently, though not quite perfect - using a good brass polish as the final step is key and I didn't have any this time.

Used the ranger method to clean out the clutch fluid a little bit.

you should let your fluids turn this color in the following circumstances:

-

Tail lights hadn't stopped their leaky thing any better than before so about time I took care of it.

Took the tail off and noticed a bit of rust had climbed into the rails the lights sit on and the whole thing was generally kind of filthy.

Cleaned up the tail a bit and removed the lights, then put them in the oven to remove the moisture that'd crept in due to the gaskets going bad.

Tail light rails after rust removal and zinc coating. Took the gaskets off of the tail lights completely, laid a trench of RTV silicone where the original glue failed,
smooshed it down on the tail light, then laid a bead on the opposite site where the other pinch mating point was. Before putting the tails back on, also laid
a fresh second bead of RTV around the existing one to ensure everything sticks together and mates properly.

Reassembling the car-rear end, I managed to learn that the brass threaded bolts that hold the tail lights on are not, in fact, tensioning bolts. Do not torque them with any thing more than a six point socket on a screw driver or they will happily come to pieces and make you hate everything.

also ROCKET BUN no gently caress off you loving unconscionable hungus

Now the car coesn't seem to leak anymore, but annoyingly the fitment is ever so slightly off due to the way the RTV is probably a little too tall to compress completely.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Some news down the line - looks like I may have finally successfully formed a New Zealand 24 hour of Lemons group; pretty keen on seeing if we can make something of it.

The car we'll be using is likely an R32 Skyline Sedan with an RB20DE and fun-tastic automatic which one of my mates picked up for $150. The plan is that after racing it we will export it to the US and sell it for $20,000.

In the meantime I'll be spending this weekend, if time permits, to take the interior out. NZ Lemons budget is $999, including car purchasing cost, so the plan is to fit a transmission cooler, larger radiator, more aggressive thermostat, racing brake pads and some gauges so we can pit the car out before it inevitably throws a rod due to missing at least one of its precious bodily fluids.

I am also looking for livery ideas. A fingerpainted version of the Fast and the Furious R34 is strongly in the running, but only if my fabrication skills allow us to fit a plywood R34 GTR spoiler replica.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
There's only one livery for an R32:

Either openly flout tobacco advertising laws and have all team members smoking Winnies at all times, or add some local flavour and change "Winfield Racing" to "Winston Peters".

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Either openly flout tobacco advertising laws and have all team members smoking Winnies at all times, or add some local flavour and change "Winfield Racing" to "Winston Peters".

All of those ideas actually sound pretty good and will need to be strongly considered.

Also, During debate, we did have a secondary idea - since it's a fourdoor, and we're got a spare holden GT wing just sitting around, we were going to dress it up as a peter brock malboro commodore (The wing even means Holden will be in behind, just like in real life).

the only problem with this idea is that the rules of entry state nothing about what happens if your pit crew is beaten to death with vb crate bottles

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

BuckyDoneGun posted:

"Winston Peters".

Get it done. Gosh I wish my Dad still lived in the Bay so I could register my address there and cast absentee ballots for whoever was running against him

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
snip, post later

Spades fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 13, 2017

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
need help, lost in maize

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Report back from track day: Another dead loss like with Taupo, with my average lap actually being up to a full 5 seconds slower with the new brakes.

I suspect that this is because I was a bit out of practice and also because of the way I was using the old brakes' braking points, which lead to me both braking too early and slowing down too much for each corner. I also had tires running at 30psi instead of 26/28 due to the issues with stock camber causing the tires to fold over and wreck themselves.

However, the tires STILL rolled over and wrecked themselves so I've managed to actually destroy tires faster on the Integra than the z06 twice now.

The new brake pads also developed a sticking problem which caused the car to jerk to the right under heavy braking.

On the positive side, I randomly bumped into cute canadian girl again and chased her slicks-wearing DC5 gen2 down for a few laps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVVcrbCAOVw

Later once I got done pretending to be a race driver I managed to hang with the Exige you see in the video above for about 3 laps, which I'll cut up and post later perhaps.

I also managed to get a stand down warning from a track marshall for when I got tired with my lovely brake pads and Scandinavian flicked the first corner, which is apparently the first time they've needed to reprimand somebody for drifting in a front wheel drive car. rad.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You're a wild man, Spades.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrm8i2VpdhE

More footage, on analysis I've figured that my main problem is definitely over-braking for corners on the new pads - my cornering speed compared to previous videos is visibly a bunch slower. So time for more practice I guess.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Randomly had a little tail wiggle last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycO_MRVLHcA

Lately I've been working on a project S15 Silvia Turbo together with a mate who runs a local tuning shop - will have to post up some photos once I get primer on the bodywork I've been straightening up.

Initial prognosis on the car is pretty terrible as the previous owner performed the standard set of high quality Silvia mawds:

-Front bumper crossmember removed - bumper secured by nothing
-Random aftermarket intercooler, intake and turbo exhaust manifold, none of which were secured
-Cheapest possible fibreglass wide body and fender kits secured by zipties and holes drilled through the frame without zincing
-Front bumper frame from a different car welded on after crash
-Every piece of bodykit cracked or chipped
-lovely DMAX hood vent let into rainwater which rusted the turbocharger out
-Rear wide body attached with pop rivets, also not zinced
-Rear window spoiler attached with an entire tube of toilet sealant
-Battery moved to boot. Battery not secured in boot. Battery found upside down and leaking in boot.
-Interior scratched and mostly ruined
-Cheap lovely pedal covers and gear knob
-Ghetto manual conversion with flywheel not torqued
-Unthinned 1k primer spraypainted directed onto un-degreased, un-scuffed gelcoat which still had mould knocker on it, leaving a layer of extremely soft, unadhered, gritty primer that needs to now be painstakingly ground off before new 2k primer can be applied

I can't overstate how lovely this primer job is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m1EjAL8Uys

Also, 17th of June I'm on the race track again. I have no high hopes for the day as it's said to be 'more of a cruise', which likely means ricers terrified of corners and have never seen a track before nearly crashing into me every corner. I'll be bringing the DC5 since the last time I went to one of these events I got a bunch of asshurt kids trying to start poo poo with me after I devastated their '600 kilowattz bro' cars every which way.

On the positive, I've managed to rope a bunch of people who haven't previously tracked their cars into coming along with me. Looking forward to seeing if I can't get a few people converted to the idea as it took me a bit of a push myself to get into trackdays myself.

Spades fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 23, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The paint on my C10 is almost that easy to take off :sigh:

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
C10 pickup? I require photographic proof of this machine

I have been floating the idea of buying some land in the middle of nowhere to build a family estate together with my extended family and was thinking if I do a build of anything else it'll be a old chevrolet pickup with massaged-in hilux parts and a 572 crate engine. Because sometimes you want to pull the stump with the tree still attached.

Also, I have discovered MSC. Finally a game about doing what I already pretty much try to do in real life anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K37QWXgUn8o

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My nearly five year old thread if you want to see more, though 99% of it is working on poo poo that isn't the C10. I know I posted a thread on here a literal eon ago during the swap but I think it's long gone.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

My nearly five year old thread if you want to see more, though 99% of it is working on poo poo that isn't the C10. I know I posted a thread on here a literal eon ago during the swap but I think it's long gone.

That looks pretty awesome, paint flakes or no - will have to read up on it tonight

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
I went to one of those 'fake' track days where they basically just have unregulated speed on the track and tell everyone not to crash into each other, and you're allowed passengers.

With this in mind I decided to try some stuff out (bear in mind my wide angle lens kills the sensation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSx-jBvL5M0

my passengers didnt like it as much

I'm going to upload some more when I get the encoding done. This time around I basically chased down a bunch of boy racers who've never had a real race in their lives which lead to their massacre at the hands of my generic white hatchback.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Hurf, managed to fall off the face of the planet for a few weeks -

Track footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtkjr59AkR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcO2y649XIM

Having some issues with the clutch not fully disengaging so I'm going to try bleeding the cylinder and see if that helps.

I also bought some semi slicks for the next track day as I utterly destroyed the poor street tires (sheared the sidewalls off both left hand tires down to the canvas) within the single day.

I seemed to grow a few fans after taking the C7 out in the rain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRYGy-MDxA8

Also, friend with a EK9 Type R took me mountain hiking and I thought to take some video of the engine note on the way home -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1aiLX4YS4M

Coming this weekend I'm going to be hopefully taking a look at a sloppy broken EK4 with the earth shaking NZDM 1.6 litre B16y4 single cam - with Silvia prices inflated pretty badly at the moment I don't want to spending my money on something that I'm only doing for mechanical experience rather than actual performance. Dad has volunteered to buy the Silvia (and try to massage a 351 cleveland into it, probably) so it shouldn't go to waste at least.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Got tired of having the numberplate blocking most of the radiator intake so I figured I'd rig up a slightly nicer solution.

Since the front splitter and underbody aero tray are held on by a whole lot of torx screws I figured I'd take the middle three of them out and sandwich a plate of some kind to thread zipties through.

First plan was to use steel but I have premonitions of ripping the bottom of the car off if it caught on something so I went for plastic.

A laundry clothes hamper had to sacrifice the life of its precious lid in order to supply the right kind of thin, semi-rigid plastic for the adaptor plate.

Cable ties are the best media to use when modifying a supercar.

More cable ties. Applied a layer of adhesive sound deadening foam to the back of the numberplate so the vibrations don't work their way through the paint.

Spades fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 5, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Nice Bahco toolset.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Decided that I hadn't learned well enough from the Silvia, and that life is not complete without a gravel rally car, so picked up another project car after offloading the Silvia on Dad.

:pwn:

:frogdowns:

it could be fair to say this car has seen better days

free broken odometer!

free hoarder trash!

high quality spare!

oh gently caress you im not even making a joke for this one

something works!

Immediately set to work and removed about 30 litres of hoarder poo poo from the car:

The smell of this thing was fantastic, a combination of sweat, body spray and cannabis.

We wetvacced.

I have yet to see another car where the wetvac continously lifts poo poo-brown fluid from every surface for 30+ seconds at a time.

Many years of arse fungus.

Now ready for a dry vac pass when I get the time. At least the smell is gone.

I found this in the broken glovebox. cool

Loot! A cheeto (stale), MURRAY, allen keys, 30 cents (the car is worth half as much with those taken out), a SIM card and a full asthma inhaler. rad

Ran out of daylight so I started up again the day after (also this post is getting too long)

Spades fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 4, 2017

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Since it was father's day, I shouted Dad (who is currently building another superboat) a set of ratchet spanners and a giant breakfast

Unfortunately due to being bedridden for almost a month due to flu, pneumonia and food poisoning, dad had transformed into punished dad

An unlimited buffet of breakfast comfort food and a museum full of chopped up hotrods sorted him out though.

Anyway, removed the front wheel to be confronted with this:

This brake disc plays some classic bach when you put a needle on it. It does not however provide any braking leverage.

Wheel hub seems to be on okay condition without any real bearing play, though I'm concerned about the CV grease over the back of the dust shim.
Couldn't find any holes in the CV boots and the original metal retaining clips are still present rather than zipties so I'm suspecting that the CVs
were replaced after blowing but the grease not removed.

Punished dad contemplates life's questions while his women's pink leopard print reading glasses continued to not give a drat about anything

Had to call it a day before I got the battery refitted, but I got the hacked up old terminals off and got some new nice brass ones with silicon hats. Check out that badass corrosion

Also, picked up a new set of brake discs and pads and test fit them. Ran out of time later in the day to get everything back together so I'll remove the calipers
next weekend and paint the calipers in black to hide their shameful single piston nature from prying eyes (and also as practice for when I repaint the Integra's Brembos).

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Started getting the interior out. Going to put most of it back in when I'm done as this car ideally will do double duty as a dailyable vehicle:

Started dry icing off the sound deadening:

Chipping away at this stuff is extremely thereupeutic.

Cleared most of it but didn't manage to quite remove it all. There's some left on the tunnel and the rear arches I'll get rid of next time.

Something like 15kg worth of sound deadening. Having ridden in my friend's EK9 Type R, the cars don't need any sound deadening at all.

View with everything removed.

Also, crimped new connectors onto the leads, removed the old negative lead, rust killed the negative grounding bolt, sleeved the new oversized negative lead, fitted silicon safety caps to the terminals and ... ran out of time and used a hacksaw to make a battery hold down out of a plywood sleeper.

five out of six ain't bad right

Going to cut one out of some sheet metal and wrap it in vinyl for insulation as a more permanent solution later.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Well at least it has racing heritage :rolleyes:

Whats the plan going forward?

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

slothrop posted:

Well at least it has racing heritage :rolleyes:

Whats the plan going forward?

Eventually will be rebuilding the engine for a turbocharger and lifting the car a few inches to turn into a hillcimb and gravel/tarmac rally car, but for the immediate present I'm aiming to get the body prepped for general driving and warrant of fitness.

Near future goals to be-

-Finish removing rest of interior, remaining sound deadening, remove crappy tow hitch install / weld rust repair plates in, paint interior in boat paint (black)
-Fix remaining immediate mechanical / maintenance issues (transmission fluid, clutch fluid, power steering fluid, rear wiper splasher line, clutch adjustment, throwout bearing, compression test, brake rebuild, CV check)
-Fix exterior - epoxy rear bumper cracks back together, replace broken rear headlight, cut/polish all lightwork, remove dents, paint car in boat paint (extremely red)
-Fix interior - install wooden frames into broken door card armrests, cut up custom carpet
-Do a bunch of trackdays to identify what modifications could benefit the car the most
-Six point rollcage, racing seats and harness install
-Start entering sanctioned competitive events (Lemons cup and hillclimb events initially)

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Got bored due to the entire day of nothing but hail so decided to strip down and rebuild the brake calipers.

Cleaned out the incredibly filthy cylinders and gave the pistons each a wiping down.

No real pitting to speak of so they should be fine, though one did feel slightly gritty going in so I'll pop it again next week and see if it needs cleaning again.

Grease had caked and turned into earwax inside the pins, will regrease on re-assembly.

Both bleed screws had siezed in place but some careful prying with the double spanner trick got them motivated out.

Decided if I'm going to do this much I might as well lay some paint down in practice for when I need to refurb the Integra's brake fluid stained brakes.

Wire bash, before and after

Put lunch on. it looks a bit black

people still like things like this right?

Reassembled. Learned some things:

-Curing is not the same thing as hardening, so don't reassemble brakes right after oven curing them or the stuff rubs off
-How to paint stencils without loving up (I masked off and sprayed those little arrows - I need to redo the Integra's brembo brakes at some point and want to put the logos back on via stencilling without loving up)
-Probably put more than two coats of clear on in future

Somebody let me know if putting these in the oven just killed them or something, i have no idea what i am do

Spades fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 10, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Spades posted:

Both bleed screws had siezed in place but some careful prying with the double spanner trick got them motivated out.

people still like things like this right?

Please explain your Shire magic tricks.

And yeah, that's cool. What paint did you use? I've heard that even powdercoating with high temp stuff will still get wrecked by on track temps. Hopefully it doesn't burn off immediately, they look pretty good at the moment.

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never rebuilt a caliper. I always just buy remans instead of buying a cylinder and a couple seals. Someday I'll take one apart. Maybe.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 10, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably this.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I painted the calipers on my old hilux with VHT engine block paint and its held up for the last 10yrs. They're filthy again, but certainly still painted.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

Probably this.

In the context of his post I don't see how that helps get a seized bleeder loose. Usually the fuckers just round off for me. :confuoot:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

True, I don't think I've ever needed more leverage on a bleeder. But that's the only two wrench trick I know of.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Please explain your Shire magic tricks.

And yeah, that's cool. What paint did you use? I've heard that even powdercoating with high temp stuff will still get wrecked by on track temps. Hopefully it doesn't burn off immediately, they look pretty good at the moment.

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never rebuilt a caliper. I always just buy remans instead of buying a cylinder and a couple seals. Someday I'll take one apart. Maybe.

Pretty much as the thread's said - hex head spanner (dunno where they're from, got them from dad) with a improvised torque bar via a larger normal twelve head. Put the pair under a bit of pressure and give one tap with a deadblow hammer, then just apply constant and really gentle force - you could probably heat up the bolt with a burnzomatic as well but you will want to wash the caliper before attempting that so you don't set yourself on fire too.

I guess the hex head is kinda key since it prevents a hell of a lot of slippage. Been able to get a lot of stuff off that wouldn't come otherwise with the Bahco set as all of its sockets are hex heads rather than twelves.

The paint is a Duplicolor ultra high temperature paint - meant to be good to around 1000 degrees celcius after being baked. I'm not sure how it's different to regular caliper paint but it's definitely less thin and has a less aggressive solvent (or just less solvent due to being less thin) - I sprayed some normal red brake caliper into the stencil originally and it immediately dissolved and mixed with the black.

Spades fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 11, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I've used Duplicolor or Plastikote (I forget which - whatever it is that O'Reilly's has) brake caliper paint with good results on my RX-7. On my first gen, I actually used Testor's enamel paint (yes, the little 1/4 oz. bottles from a hobby shop) and it lasted years under daily driving street use. It never flaked off or anything, I just upgraded the brakes, so no longer have those calipers on the car.
http://www.wright-here.net/images/rx7/79_rx7/rearend_after.jpg
http://www.wright-here.net/images/rx7/79_rx7/struts.jpg
(Pics on my personal website which doesn't do https, so can't inline)

On my Crown Vic, I used KBS Coatings "Motor Coater" paint on the calipers, since no one makes a reasonably-priced white caliper paint. It's held up several months now, so far. That poo poo is thick and messy, but it works.
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/engine-paint.html
I didn't get the entire kit with cleaners, etc. just the smallest tin of paint, of which I used very little, since it covers pretty well.
Album: https://imgur.com/a/WWYPU

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I've used Duplicolor or Plastikote (I forget which - whatever it is that O'Reilly's has) brake caliper paint with good results on my RX-7. On my first gen, I actually used Testor's enamel paint (yes, the little 1/4 oz. bottles from a hobby shop) and it lasted years under daily driving street use. It never flaked off or anything, I just upgraded the brakes, so no longer have those calipers on the car.
http://www.wright-here.net/images/rx7/79_rx7/rearend_after.jpg
http://www.wright-here.net/images/rx7/79_rx7/struts.jpg
(Pics on my personal website which doesn't do https, so can't inline)

On my Crown Vic, I used KBS Coatings "Motor Coater" paint on the calipers, since no one makes a reasonably-priced white caliper paint. It's held up several months now, so far. That poo poo is thick and messy, but it works.
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/engine-paint.html
I didn't get the entire kit with cleaners, etc. just the smallest tin of paint, of which I used very little, since it covers pretty well.
Album: https://imgur.com/a/WWYPU

That red looks alright, does the paint keep its gloss finish after application or do you need to apply a separate clear coat? The high heat paint I used on my brakes set dull and needed a separate clear coat afterwards to shine, but I haven't tried my other caliper rated paint on them yet.

I suspect the motor coater you posted is closer to the high heat paint - interesting that there seems to be two flavors of paint for a relatively narrow range of applications.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Spades posted:

That red looks alright, does the paint keep its gloss finish after application or do you need to apply a separate clear coat? The high heat paint I used on my brakes set dull and needed a separate clear coat afterwards to shine, but I haven't tried my other caliper rated paint on them yet.

I suspect the motor coater you posted is closer to the high heat paint - interesting that there seems to be two flavors of paint for a relatively narrow range of applications.

All the caliper paints I've used stayed glossy, including the Testor's.
I much prefer the brush-on kits - it's far easier to do with the calipers still on the car. Just a bit of masking for the brake hose and the bleeder. basically. I've not tried any of the sprays, so can't really comment there.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
After 7 hours of driving I today learned a new lesson - don't trust anything somebody who owns a crashed Honda says. Bought a new set of door locks and the driver's side lock doesn't match, rendering the whole set useless.

Fffuuuuuuuck.

I am going to order a central locking remote kit for the car and simply shave all the door locks except for the driver's side and ignition (three sets of locks - rear hatch and passenger's side don't fit)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Spades posted:

After 7 hours of driving I today learned a new lesson - don't trust anything somebody who owns a crashed Honda says. Bought a new set of door locks and the driver's side lock doesn't match, rendering the whole set useless.

Fffuuuuuuuck.

I am going to order a central locking remote kit for the car and simply shave all the door locks except for the driver's side and ignition (three sets of locks - rear hatch and passenger's side don't fit)

Have the non-matching ones rekeyed? It's not difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Have the non-matching ones rekeyed? It's not difficult.

Now aware this is actually a thing that wouldn't cost more than whole car, that's actually pretty useful. However I think I'll continue with the lock delete simply because the car already has central and without a rear handle the rear lock isn't very helpful.

Also the car cost $550 NZD so that isn't saying much

• Locked thread