Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

olin posted:

These absurdities with the infinite do not exist with spiritual beings.

Is this one of those things we're supposed to just accept as true by definition like that "everything good is God" bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

olin posted:

The hotel argument points out the absurdity of infinite material things. If the hotel has infinite rooms and they are all occupied and then a new customer comes the manger can still except new guests. He has infinite rooms. Everytime a new customer comes and can give them a room and move tenet in room 1 to room 2 an room 2 to room 3 etc. Even though every room is occupied he can always except new customers. And even though new customers are checking in he always has the same number of customers. Infinite. 1000 more check in, still the same number of customers. Even if an infinite amount of new customers can he could still accommodate all of them. and he would still have the same number of customers.

Now everyone in rooms with even numbers checks out. Guess what he still has the same exact number of customers; infinite.

The argument goes on and on but you get the point. An actually existing material thing is full of absurdities. It cannot exist.

Yes, but for the argument to work it has to apply not only to synchronic collections of particulars but also to diachronic chains of events states of affairs. So since Craig thinks that God has existed within physical time since the universe existed, and that God but not the universe is eternal, it looks very much like Craig is forced to say something like 'before God created the Universe, he existed outside time,' which is something that is hard to make sense of. Hence the mental gymnastics.

Although, re-reading it, this post looks more like a reply to WWN than to myself, since I haven't so far disputed the first half of the KCA. Was that the intention?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Ok, then how to do go from this to the Christian God specifically?

Thats what I'm trying to research now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

Thats what I'm trying to research now.

If you didn't already know then why did you point towards Kalam as convincing?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

spoon0042 posted:

Is this one of those things we're supposed to just accept as true by definition like that "everything good is God" bit?

Demonstrate an example like the hotel argument about eternal spiritual being.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

olin posted:

I don't even know what "spiritual being" even means. I have seen no evidence that such a thing actually exists, have you?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

olin posted:

Well, there's the obvious one:

1.) The cardinality of any set is greater than the cardinality of any of its subsets.
2.) To say that God is eternal is to say that God has an infinite number of temporal parts, and no first temporal part.
3.) The cardinality of the set of all of God's temporal parts is infinite. (From 2)
4.) There is a proper subset of the set of all of God's temporal parts which has an infinite cardinality.
5.) 3 and 4 contradict 1.

Since Craig thinks (1) is a logical necessity, and indeed depends on it for the first half of the KCA, and 3 and 4 follow directly from 2, premise 2 must be false. But if so then it's not clear what 'eternal' means.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Brainiac Five posted:

I am a devil and here to do the devil's work, for all you know.

You seem to not understand what empiricism means, though.

In the absence of perfect knowledge you use the best available.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

In the absence of perfect knowledge you use the best available.

You can't get a loving observation from statistical manipulations. Idiot.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Why are you so hostile?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Brainiac Five posted:

You can't get a loving observation from statistical manipulations. Idiot.

It seems like you're arguing that we are totally in the dark as to what makes people feel pleasure and what makes people feel pain, or even how to discover the answer to that question. Is this your position?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

Why are you so hostile?

Anger has two beautiful daughters, hope and courage.

Juffo-Wup posted:

It seems like you're arguing that we are totally in the dark as to what makes people feel pleasure and what makes people feel pain, or even how to discover the answer to that question. Is this your position?

What in the actual gently caress.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Brainiac Five posted:

What in the actual gently caress.

I am trying very hard to determine what your position is, and I'm finding it difficult. I swear it's in good faith. My task is made harder when you post stuff like this rather than an actual response to the substance of my comments. I'm getting that you're frustrated with the direction this conversation has taken, but not much else.

If you don't want to talk about it, just say so.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Juffo-Wup posted:

I am trying very hard to determine what your position is, and I'm finding it difficult. I swear it's in good faith. My task is made harder when you post stuff like this rather than an actual response to the substance of my comments. I'm getting that you're frustrated with the direction this conversation has taken, but not much else.

If you don't want to talk about it, just say so.

No, I'm stunned that a post where I said that sensual pleasures are not the sum totality of pleasure is taken as "we cannot measure pleasure or pain in any way". I was hoping you weren't a total pinhead.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Brainiac Five posted:

No, I'm stunned that a post where I said that sensual pleasures are not the sum totality of pleasure is taken as "we cannot measure pleasure or pain in any way". I was hoping you weren't a total pinhead.

I don't recall you ever making an argument about types of pleasure, at least explicitly. But even if you had, it's not clear to me that it would be any more difficult to determine the likely causes of those pleasures than the sensual ones.

You have been trying to construe my position as entailing that utilitarians identify happiness with an unmeasurable quantity, but any time I suggest a candidate quantity and ask you to confirm that you think it is unmeasurable, you apparently get quite upset. So frankly I'm at a loss as to what your contentions actually are.

Additionally, there's really no need for insults. I'm starting to think you're using indignation as a cover for your lack of a convincing reply.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The people I don't get are the atheist moral realists, which according to that poll posted, is definitely something that exists in philosophy departments. Why bother? The creation of moral realism was there to save the idea of god from the problem of evil, absent god you no longer need moral realism. I think people just like the idea of their morals being 'objective', because they're taught that subjective = bad and objective = good, which is important for theories of knowledge, but a bad way to think about ethics.

I also think you can solve the problems of utilitarianism if you think of pleasures/enjoyment not as a continuous metric, but as an infinite ordered set of satisfied desires. You can starve 1 to feed 100, but you can't make 100 content by starving 1 - the 'addition' is in different dimensions, and the 'hunger' dimension takes priority over the 'entertainment' dimension. Of course, that reduces some of the appeal of utilitarianism, by getting rid of a single metric of 'utility' that everything can add or subtract from, and you have to go through the hard work of deciding the ordering of those desires, but that classic simplification is what introduces the problems of the utility monster in the first place. Keeping your terms separate is probably for the best.

Juffo-Wup posted:

Yes, but this is a blunting of the verificationist sword - you can no longer say that certain statements about metaphysical states of affairs are meaningless full stop, you can only really say that you are unwilling to accept the axiomatic system under which they are meaningful. Which is more Carnap than Ayer; not nearly as flashy, because you can't go around telling people they're fundamentally and systematically mistaken about what they think they mean when they speak.

That is, it is not the positivists reliance on the principle of verification that is a problem, it is their insistence that it is the only justifiable axiom.
I see your point, and it's valid. I just strongly don't like this idea of importing the issue of self-referential sets into theories of knowledge. How many other systems of morality or knowledge could survive having to justify their own axioms with themselves? Not many, but only the positivists get hit with it again and again.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 20, 2016

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

rudatron posted:

The people I don't get are the atheist moral realists, which according to that poll posted, is definitely something that exists in philosophy departments. Why bother? The creation of moral realism was there to save the idea of god from the problem of evil, absent god you no longer need moral realism. I think people just like the idea of their morals being 'objective', because they're taught that subjective = bad and objective = good, which is important for theories of knowledge, but a bad way to think about ethics.

As an agnostic atheist, I just want to say I totally agree with this statement.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Zaradis posted:

And this is why you have no good reasons for telling other people they ought to also like the color orange. And since you claim that your moral beliefs are of the same type, the same is true for your moral beliefs. If you have no grounds for holding others responsible based upon your moral beliefs then morality falls apart. The point of morality is the ability to claim that one ought to act a certain way. If we have no logical grounds from which we can tell others what they should and should not do then there is no such thing as morality. This is the OP's point.
Oh, there's an excellent reason for everyone to act a certain way - no society can exist without a shared moral base on the broadest level. Now, the continued existence of humanity and society is not an objective good either, but humans including me unsurprisingly tend to agree it's a subjective good. A lot of subjective beliefs are shared by most people and are very important to us but in the end they're not really any more objective than liking a color. My conclusion that they are not objective doesn't make them less important or valid to me.

Any argument that concludes that morality doesn't exist is patently false as all people indeed hold morals, whether they have any supposedly objective basis for them or not.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 20, 2016

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

rudatron posted:

I also think you can solve the problems of utilitarianism if you think of pleasures/enjoyment not as a continuous metric, but as an infinite ordered set of satisfied desires. You can starve 1 to feed 100, but you can't make 100 content by starving 1 - the 'addition' is in different dimensions, and the 'hunger' dimension takes priority over the 'entertainment' dimension. Of course, that reduces some of the appeal of utilitarianism, by getting rid of a single metric of 'utility' that everything can add or subtract from, and you have to go through the hard work of deciding the ordering of those desires, but that classic simplification is what introduces the problems of the utility monster in the first place. Keeping your terms separate is probably for the best.
Couldn't you then contort any "utilitarian" argument to individual ends based on how you order those desires? Why bother with the contrivance of utilitarianism at that point?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

rudatron posted:

I think I don't understand the historical/teleological claim here - plato was certainly a moral realist (in that he thought value-laden things like The Form Of The Good take, actually existed), but it'd be a stretch to think that he was reacting to the threat of atheism. Maybe you're thinking of something in particular?

Anyway, even if it turns out that moral realism was invented to fulfill a purpose that atheists have since given up on, but this doesn't obviously bear on the question of the truth or falsity of the position. Plus, if I can name-drop Plato again, a lot of people think that the Euthyphro dilemma shows that theism is actually a major threat to moral realism as it's normally construed.

In contemporary philosophy, there are something like five major ethical theories in play: consequentialism, deontology, virtue ethics, contractualism, and divine command theory. Only the last of those depends on a deity, and even that one can be thought of as a species of a more general command theory, in which moral facts depend on the commands of some group or individual, divine or otherwise. The vast majority of published work in the field of ethics makes no mention of God at all.

rudatron posted:

Yeah, could be. I have no major objection to this version of utilitarianism. But there are a lot of ways to formulate a utilitarian theory. I'm not actually an expert in ethics, but I think some of my ethicist friends have said something like this maybe.

Juffo-Wup fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 20, 2016

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Elukka posted:

Oh, there's an excellent reason for everyone to act a certain way - no society can exist without a shared moral base on the broadest level. Now, the continued existence of humanity and society is not an objective good either, but humans including me unsurprisingly tend to agree it's a subjective good. A lot of subjective beliefs are shared by most people and are very important to us but in the end they're not really any more objective than liking a color. My conclusion that they are not objective doesn't make them less important or valid to me.

Any argument that concludes that morality doesn't exist is patently false as all people indeed hold morals, whether they have any supposedly objective basis for them or not.

Subjective morality clearly exists, that's true. But it provides no grounds from which one can hold others morally accountable. If our subjective moral beliefs clash then there is nothing to be done because neither of us are right or wrong since there is no objective basis from which those moral beliefs can be judged. Shared subjectivity does not make it any less subjective. That your subjective beliefs are important does not give you any right to hold others accountable according to those beliefs. Holding others accountable for your subjective moral beliefs is just as absurd as claiming that everyone ought to like the color orange because you like the color orange. The point is not that morality does not exist as a concept, it's that if morality is only subjective belief then no one is in any position to hold others morally accountable, which is the entire point of morality.

I very much doubt the existence of a higher power from which we can obtain objective morality. So the problem of subjective morality is a problem for me as well. But pretending that it isn't a problem does nothing to solve it, it merely makes you (seem?) delusional. The idea that subjective beliefs can hold sway over others is pretty much the basis of totalitarianism.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Zaradis posted:

Subjective morality clearly exists, that's true. But it provides no grounds from which one can hold others morally accountable. If our subjective moral beliefs clash then there is nothing to be done because neither of us are right or wrong since there is no objective basis from which those moral beliefs can be judged. Shared subjectivity does not make it any less subjective. That your subjective beliefs are important does not give you any right to hold others accountable according to those beliefs. Holding others accountable for your subjective moral beliefs is just as absurd as claiming that everyone ought to like the color orange because you like the color orange. The point is not that morality does not exist as a concept, it's that if morality is only subjective belief then no one is in any position to hold others morally accountable, which is the entire point of morality.

I very much doubt the existence of a higher power from which we can obtain objective morality. So the problem of subjective morality is a problem for me as well. But pretending that it isn't a problem does nothing to solve it, it merely makes you (seem?) delusional. The idea that subjective beliefs can hold sway over others is pretty much the basis of totalitarianism.

Can you explain what you mean by 'objective,' and how a higher power, if it existed, would give us a moral theory of that sort?

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Juffo-Wup posted:

Can you explain what you mean by 'objective,' and how a higher power, if it existed, would give us a moral theory of that sort?

In my opinion there is no such thing as true objectivity. What we call objective is simply the agreement of many subjectivities. However, if the universe has an infinite creator it would seem that creation would be an objectively real thing. That creator would also be responsible for creating morality since it created everything and thus morality would be objective. Infinity is a difficult concept for human beings to wrap our heads around, but I think one way of explaining what I'm trying to say is that an infinite subjectivity would be objectivity by virtue of its infinite-ness.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Zaradis posted:

In my opinion there is no such thing as true objectivity.

Sure, okay, but unless you tell me what meaning you intend that word to have, I can't know what it is you think doesn't exist.

Like, here a pretty naive reading: objective facts are facts about things (objects, if you like) in the world. Subjective facts are facts about individuals' experiences of those objects.

But this, or anything like it, probably isn't what you mean, because it entails that there are no facts about the world. Most people would take this as a bad result. So I assume it's gotta be something else, but what?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Zaradis posted:

It's also the basis of all society ever. I don't see why it's a problem. Certainly having an objective truth makes an issue easier to resolve, but having one is a want, not a need. We can, always have and always will function with shared subjective morality.

Zaradis posted:

In my opinion there is no such thing as true objectivity. What we call objective is simply the agreement of many subjectivities. However, if the universe has an infinite creator it would seem that creation would be an objectively real thing. That creator would also be responsible for creating morality since it created everything and thus morality would be objective. Infinity is a difficult concept for human beings to wrap our heads around, but I think one way of explaining what I'm trying to say is that an infinite subjectivity would be objectivity by virtue of its infinite-ness.
I don't see how the existence of a creator would give rise to objective morality. What if the creator didn't care or understand such things? If the creator simply caused the universe and took no part in it since then, how would that provide you an answer on why it's wrong to kill? A creator does not need to have created morality like they'd have to have created time and space, because morality is an emergent property of our brains, not a fundamental property of the universe.

What if the creator did take an active part in things, and claimed moral rules that are utterly disagreeable to most of us? Why would its moral rules necessarily be better?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
God 'creating morality' doesn't make sense to me either. Pretty much everyone thinks that moral facts supervene on the totality of the physical facts. If that's true, then a hypothetical deity could no more make a physically identical universe with a different distribution of values than they could (e.g.) make a physically identical universe in which the theory if evolution is false.

If you think that objective morality has to be something totally independent of the physical universe, then I can see why an atheist would have to be skeptical of it, but almost nobody thinks that.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Juffo-Wup posted:

Sure, okay, but unless you tell me what meaning you intend that word to have, I can't know what it is you think doesn't exist.

Like, here a pretty naive reading: objective facts are facts about things (objects, if you like) in the world. Subjective facts are facts about individuals' experiences of those objects.

But this, or anything like it, probably isn't what you mean, because it entails that there are no facts about the world. Most people would take this as a bad result. So I assume it's gotta be something else, but what?

Zaradis posted:

In my opinion there is no such thing as true objectivity. What we call objective is simply the agreement of many subjectivities.

Please don't take my words out of context. I told you exactly what I believe objectivity is. The nature of experience is entirely subjective, and since experience is all that we can possibly know, feel, be aware of, etc. then if objectivity exists we cannot know it. We cannot know facts about things in the world, we can only know facts about our experiences, but that it seems that we experience things outside of ourselves does not mean that we actually do (i.e. Kant). This is simply the nature of subjective experience, and when a bunch of them agree on something we call it objectivity because it's more comforting to believe that we know something objectively than accept that we can't.

Most of us are naive realists about the objective world for practical reasons, but logically there is no bridge to get from subjective experience to objective reality. So to borrow your words, subjective facts about an individuals experiences are all that that individual can know by the very nature of subjectivity and experience.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Elukka posted:

It's also the basis of all society ever. I don't see why it's a problem. Certainly having an objective truth makes an issue easier to resolve, but having one is a want, not a need. We can, always have and always will function with shared subjective morality.

We do not disagree on this point. It simply means that there is a logical problem with claiming that a subjective belief should hold for all, some, or even a single other person. Practically, it clearly works well.

Elukka posted:

I don't see how the existence of a creator would give rise to objective morality. What if the creator didn't care or understand such things? If the creator simply caused the universe and took no part in it since then, how would that provide you an answer on why it's wrong to kill? A creator does not need to have created morality like they'd have to have created time and space, because morality is an emergent property of our brains, not a fundamental property of the universe.

What if the creator did take an active part in things, and claimed moral rules that are utterly disagreeable to most of us? Why would its moral rules necessarily be better?

Granted, a deistic creator would merely put us in the same situation we are in now. But you missed the most important point regarding a theistic creator, that of being infinite. If a theistic creator existed and was infinite then that creator would be objectivity itself.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Zaradis posted:

Please don't take my words out of context. I told you exactly what I believe objectivity is. The nature of experience is entirely subjective, and since experience is all that we can possibly know, feel, be aware of, etc. then if objectivity exists we cannot know it. We cannot know facts about things in the world, we can only know facts about our experiences, but that it seems that we experience things outside of ourselves does not mean that we actually do (i.e. Kant). This is simply the nature of subjective experience, and when a bunch of them agree on something we call it objectivity because it's more comforting to believe that we know something objectively than accept that we can't.

Most of us are naive realists about the objective world for practical reasons, but logically there is no bridge to get from subjective experience to objective reality. So to borrow your words, subjective facts about an individuals experiences are all that that individual can know by the very nature of subjectivity and experience.

Okay, yeah sure: universal radical skeptics have ground for refusing to assent to any objective theory of ethics. But it also means that you are barred from assenting to any conclusions from e.g. the natural sciences. I suspect that if a moral realist gets an interlocutor to agree that moral facts are on the same epistemic level as physical facts, they'd count that as a win.

E: (Also you've mischaracterized Kant's position re: knowledge of the external world, but whatever.)

Second edit: in fact, you can't even get intersubjectivity from your position, since your don't think you know other people exist. You're advocating solipsism.

Juffo-Wup fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 20, 2016

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Juffo-Wup posted:

Okay, yeah sure: universal radical skeptics have ground for refusing to assent to any objective theory of ethics. But it also means that you are barred from assenting to any conclusions from e.g. the natural sciences. I suspect that if a moral realist gets an interlocutor to agree that moral facts are on the same epistemic level as physical facts, they'd count that as a win.

I would not call holding to the logical conclusions of subjective experience "radical", since it is a logical necessity.

Bully for moral realists. So what? I'm not concerned with winning an ideological war against moral realists.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Juffo-Wup posted:

Second edit: in fact, you can't even get intersubjectivity from your position, since your don't think you know other people exist. You're advocating solipsism.

I'm not advocating solipsism. I'm not a practicing solipsist. I believe that other people exist and I have knowledge of them. That doesn't refute the fact that solipsism is irrefutable and a logically sound position to hold. It's the same issue as subjective morality. Logically it makes morality impotent but to accept a naive realist point of view makes practical and experiential sense, it just doesn't make logical sense.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Zaradis posted:

I would not call holding to the logical conclusions of subjective experience "radical", since it is a logical necessity.

Bully for moral realists. So what? I'm not concerned with winning an ideological war against moral realists.

'Radical' in the sense of "All knowledge is illusory, pull it up by the root!"

Anyway, logical inference goes two ways and your modus ponens is my modus tollens. I tend to think that if out turns out that some philosophical position leads to the conclusion that nobody knows anything, that counts as a reductio against that position. The a priori insistence that nothing can be known is a surefire way to shut down a conversation. Like, I could reply to any post in D&D (or SAL even) saying "You don't know that! Nobody knows anything!" And it would be about as interesting and relevant as it is here.

But, you know, Duhem-Quine and 'come what may' and all that. The most I can do is show that your premises lead to something ridiculous, but if you are determined to accept that conclusion anyway, there's not really anything I can do. Oh well. (Though I suspect you will not have the courage of your convictions, and will, at some point, claim to have knowledge of something).

Juffo-Wup fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 20, 2016

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Juffo-Wup posted:

'Radical' in the sense of "All knowledge is illusory, pull it up by the root!"

Anyway, logical inference hours two ways and your modus ponens is my modus tollens. I tend to think that if out turns out that some philosophical position leads to the conclusion that nobody knows anything, that counts as a reductio against that position. The a priori insistence that nothing can be known is a surefire way to shut down a conversation. Like, I could reply to any post in D&D (or SAL even) saying "You don't know that! Nobody knows anything!" And it would be about as interesting and relevant as it is here.

But, you know, Duhem-Quine and 'come what may' and all that. The most I can do is show that your premises lead to something ridiculous, but if you are determined to accept that conclusion anyway, there's not really anything I can do. Oh well. (Though I suspect you will not have the courage of your convictions, and will, at some point, claim to have knowledge of something).

I never claimed that nobody can know anything and I've already claimed that I know things. I don't doubt that other people know things too. We all have a great deal of subjective experiential knowledge. That is the only type of knowledge that we can have. And when many subjectivities agree on what counts as experiential knowledge we call it objective knowledge.

I think that the external world exists. I think there are things in the world which correspond to my experience of those things. Can I know that with any logical certainty? No. That's simply a fact. Do I believe that knowledge doesn't exist simply because a logical bridge between subjectivity and objectivity is not possible? Of course not.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Zaradis posted:

I never claimed that nobody can know anything and I've already claimed that I know things. I don't doubt that other people know things too. We all have a great deal of subjective experiential knowledge. That is the only type of knowledge that we can have. And when many subjectivities agree on what counts as experiential knowledge we call it objective knowledge.

I think that the external world exists. I think there are things in the world which correspond to my experience of those things. Can I know that with any logical certainty? No. That's simply a fact. Do I believe that knowledge doesn't exist simply because a logical bridge between subjectivity and objectivity is not possible? Of course not.

Wow, I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is you're saying. Let me know if I'm still missing the mark:

First Guess posted:

We can know facts, even facts about objects, but those facts aren't objective, since we can't be certain about them.

Is that a fair rendering of your position? Because if it is, it looks very much like you're mistaking certainty for objectivity. Alternatively:

Second Guess posted:

We can know facts, but not facts about objects, only facts about our conscious experience. So we have knowledge, but not objective knowledge.

This doesn't involve a terminological confusion, but it does entail solipsism. Because on this account what you know is something like "I am presently having an experience as of someone talking to me," but you absolutely do not know anything like "Someone is presently talking to me" or even "That, over there, is a person." You might think that we infer the latter from the former, but that we lose certainty along the way. So we know that 'This is a person' but we aren't certain about it. But this is the same conclusion we got from the first guess: we have fallibile objective knowledge. To deny that this is really objective knowledge is, once again, simply to confuse certainty and objectivity.

So it looks like your position either depends on a terminological confusion, or else it entails solipsism.

Finally this is all ignoring the fact that whichever of these positions you're prepared to endorse, the problem you're pointing out isn't unique to moral facts; it generalizes to all knowledge. If the most you can say about knowledge of moral facts is that I can be no more certain of it than I am that I have two hands, then that looks like a pretty weak argument against moral realism.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Juffo-Wup posted:

Wow, I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is you're saying. Let me know if I'm still missing the mark:

First Guess posted:

We can know facts, even facts about objects, but those facts aren't objective, since we can't be certain about them.

Is that a fair rendering of your position? Because if it is, it looks very much like you're mistaking certainty for objectivity. Alternatively:

Second Guess posted:

We can know facts, but not facts about objects, only facts about our conscious experience. So we have knowledge, but not objective knowledge.

This doesn't involve a terminological confusion, but it does entail solipsism. Because on this account what you know is something like "I am presently having an experience as of someone talking to me," but you absolutely do not know anything like "Someone is presently talking to me" or even "That, over there, is a person." You might think that we infer the latter from the former, but that we lose certainty along the way. So we know that 'This is a person' but we aren't certain about it. But this is the same conclusion we got from the first guess: we have fallibile objective knowledge. To deny that this is really objective knowledge is, once again, simply to confuse certainty and objectivity.

So it looks like your position either depends on a terminological confusion, or else it entails solipsism.

Finally this is all ignoring the fact that whichever of these positions you're prepared to endorse, the problem you're pointing out isn't unique to moral facts; it generalizes to all knowledge. If the most you can say about knowledge of moral facts is that I can be no more certain of it than I am that I have two hands, then that looks like a pretty weak argument against moral realism.

Before I address your questions, do we agree that solipsism is the necessary logical result of subjective experience? If not, then we're both wasting our breath because that logical conclusion is the basis of all I've been talking about so far.

For now I will assume we agree so as to answer your questions. Your second guess is correct. But this is not "fallible objective knowledge," it is subjective knowledge. As the guess implies, if objective knowledge exists or is possible it is not so for human beings. It certainly entails solipsism. Subjective knowledge is the only type of knowledge human beings can possibly hold, by the very nature of human experience.

For a thing to be objectively real it must exist regardless of whether or not a subjectivity experiences it at a certain point in time. Objective reality is true independent of our subjective observations. Yet, all we can know are our subjective observations. So we cannot know anything objectively, since objective reality is dependent upon being true without subjective experience of it and we cannot know anything without subjectively experiencing it. If you believe that human beings are capable of knowledge without subjectively experiencing it, I would love to hear the insane argument supporting this idea.

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Juffo-Wup posted:

It seems to me that a logically sound or valid argument that shows that objective knowledge is not possible would be quite a strong point against moral realism. But we don't seem to agree with or understand each other on any other topic, so why change that dynamic now?

Zaradis
Nov 6, 2014

Juffo-Wup posted:

Wow, I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is you're saying.

I'm saying that there is no logically sound argument that can show that we are capable of having objective knowledge of anything. This logical fact does not negate the fact that normal human experience makes the existence of objective reality extremely intuitively accurate. The strength of the logical argument regarding subjective experience and objective reality, coupled with the strength of the intuition that objective reality exists, means that naive realism is a reasonable philosophical position and one to which I ascribe.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There's a difference between morals being subjective, and that there exist an objective morality that is inherently unknowable. It technically wouldn't undermine moral realism, you'd need something else. Though I suppose you could say that, just as atheism is the pragmatic choice for when you lack knowledge of God, moral realism is therefore not useful in the same way. But I think the argument against moral realism can be made a bit stronger than that.

the trump tutelage posted:

Couldn't you then contort any "utilitarian" argument to individual ends based on how you order those desires? Why bother with the contrivance of utilitarianism at that point?
That already happens. Take the colosseum example. with a continuous metric of happiness, there must be some number of people watching that would counter balance the people suffering - what that number is depends on how much you value each of the experiences involved, what the numerical relationship would be between them.

All moral systems are contrivances, I guess is the point. But that's okay :)
Well, all historical narratives involved in philosophy are a little fast and loose with the truth. I guess that's my bias showing up, because that's how it's treated in Abrahamic faiths. Greek pagan religion had no problem showing Gods as callous and capricious entities, which I presume you can judge for yourself. In systems with an unquestionable good deity, you need to deploy moral realism at some point, just to save His skin. You absolutely do see it in religious debates In The Wild, as it were.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 21, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

rudatron posted:

All moral systems are contrivances, I guess is the point. But that's okay :)

This is the point many people lose their poo poo over. ~morality~ is not supposed to be some practical thing decided upon by mere mortals that could be changed, it's supposed to be an immutable law of physics that applies to everyone ever in the same way.

• Locked thread