Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«358 »
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Coming from EU4 I'm not sure what to like "do" in this game? Like I'm playing as Italy, got Ethiopia, conquered Yugo/Albania. Then World War 2 breaks out and Germany (my IRON FRIEND or whatever) conquers all of France/Low Countries. I grabbed Greece/Turkey, but not sure what to do now; I feel like I have "enough" territory but the war I guess goes for forever? I'm going to grab Iraq but I feel like I'm just sorta watching stuff happen with no real end goal in mind. Like what if I don't want to conquer the world?

*in games releasing DLC every fiscal quater voice*

Hoi4 is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

HoI is much less of a sandbox where you can just gently caress around than other paradox games - youre better off setting a goal for yourself when you start a game (like getting cheevos)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

HerraS posted:

HoI is much less of a sandbox where you can just gently caress around than other paradox games - youre better off setting a goal for yourself when you start a game (like getting cheevos)

Yeah the country selection process is much less about what kind of sandbox you want and more about what kind of war you want to fight - Germany is kind of the classic "me vs. everyone" focused a lot on aggression and with the industrial capacity to back it up. France is if you want a heavily defensive land war, the UK if you want to do a lot with planes and boats, that sort of thing. You don't really have as much freedom to do something like say, picking Brazil and deciding to conquor all of South America (you can do that, but half of it will be trivial conquests of nations way weaker than you and the other half will be a prolonged hellwar where you most likely have to force every Allied power into capitulation by yourself if you want to keep any of your gains).

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the country selection process is much less about what kind of sandbox you want and more about what kind of war you want to fight - Germany is kind of the classic "me vs. everyone" focused a lot on aggression and with the industrial capacity to back it up. France is if you want a heavily defensive land war, the UK if you want to do a lot with planes and boats, that sort of thing. You don't really have as much freedom to do something like say, picking Brazil and deciding to conquor all of South America (you can do that, but half of it will be trivial conquests of nations way weaker than you and the other half will be a prolonged hellwar where you most likely have to force every Allied power into capitulation by yourself if you want to keep any of your gains).

IMO this is why Death or Dishonor is much more interesting than TfV. When I try Commonwealth countries in TfV I feel railroaded by the focus tree and can't really affect the greater war much by the time I get past that (though I never tried a 'loyal'/Allied tree). Even countries with generic focus trees but in strategic positions are more engaging than Australia. A competent fascist Greece, communist Turkey, etc seem to help their respective factions a lot more.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new wallpaper tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

It's like how people look at the ideal navy composition arguments, but the reality is that given the timeframe of the game you are either building a small handful of ships based on what your economy will bear, or you are Germany having beaten Russia and you are crash building an entire navy from scratch in 3 boring years to take on the UK/US.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Grimey Drawer

Serbs running the HoI wiki?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Alchenar posted:

It's like how people look at the ideal navy composition arguments, but the reality is that given the timeframe of the game you are either building a small handful of ships based on what your economy will bear, or you are Germany having beaten Russia and you are crash building an entire navy from scratch in 3 boring years to take on the UK/US.

If my experience fighting invading Japan as China is anything to go by, Germany can probably just send a stream of single submarines to the English Channel one at a time to provoke long naval engagements, while pouring infinite naval bombers and fighters into the air zone above. I destroyed the entire Japanese navy as China that way, the UK and US would probably go the same way.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

It's a period known best for the term "total war", though.

But there are enough wars that ended without needing a complete invasion (Japan, Winter War) to make the possibility something reasonable in game. It is seriously discouraging to be stuck in a permanent war as South Africa after you essentially took all the Portuguese settlements there but can't manage to launch an invasion of Europe.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

joepinetree posted:

But there are enough wars that ended without needing a complete invasion (Japan, Winter War) to make the possibility something reasonable in game. It is seriously discouraging to be stuck in a permanent war as South Africa after you essentially took all the Portuguese settlements there but can't manage to launch an invasion of Europe.

They're definitely moving away from "All wars must be total" though. China can defeat Japan without invading the Home Islands next patch, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarZiedonis
Apr 10, 2009

I'm finally trying Canada in TfV, and I can't figure out one of their earlier national focuses. Shadow factories won't go off because there isn't a factory slot in northwestern Canada even though I've built 3 infrastructure there. Mousing over the slots just brings up a tooltip that says something like "Wasteland: 0" What gives? How the hell am I actually supposed to get the focus (and co tiniest with the true so I can make my own drat oil).

«358 »