Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Started a KR game as Egypt and started attacking the Ottomans. It's hard enough but the fucken Germans and Austrians have sent them a bunch of armored divisions as volunteers. Is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Are there any beginners guide videos that are regarded as pretty good? I picked this game up and played through as Bhutan to at least get a basic understanding of what some of the buttons do and to watch the world play out around me. Which leads me to another question; I'm totally here for the crazy alt-history paths like communist Japan or democratic Germany, but will the AI totally poo poo itself if I take one state down an ahistorical focus?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We were supposed to play this week but Paradox updated the launcher and several of us couldn't get the mod we were using to play our converted V2 save to load. Hopefully it's resolved next week.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Moon Slayer posted:

Are there any beginners guide videos that are regarded as pretty good? I picked this game up and played through as Bhutan to at least get a basic understanding of what some of the buttons do and to watch the world play out around me. Which leads me to another question; I'm totally here for the crazy alt-history paths like communist Japan or democratic Germany, but will the AI totally poo poo itself if I take one state down an ahistorical focus?

The AIs will poo poo themselves if you leave everything on pure historical! :v:

Generally on ahistorical the AIs still build towards some kinda grand conflict and play nice with the fact that Japan's now a liberal democracy or whatever ahistorical thing you've done. If nothing else, Italy and USSR will eventually start poo poo with their neighbors and other powers will get drawn in.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Zombiepop posted:

Oh this, this should be in every paradox grand strategy game, dont know how to do it but some sort of slides generated based on your performance would be dope.

TNO actually had this for a while but it turns out that presenting a slideshow in the HOI4 engine is a performance destroying bug-prone nightmare disaster.

DrPop posted:

Started a KR game as Egypt and started attacking the Ottomans. It's hard enough but the fucken Germans and Austrians have sent them a bunch of armored divisions as volunteers. Is that normal?

Pretty uncommon, actually. Austria will jump in to help Germany more often than not, but they both try to ignore.the Ottomans entirely.

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 14, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Moon Slayer posted:

Regarding historical/ahistorical, there are two good ways to play:

1. Historical, for if you just want to play WW2 more-or-less how it happened. Keep in mind the AI won't really react if you decide to do democratic Germany on historical.

2. Ahistorical, but with the paths you want the major powers to take specified in the game setup. Have a plan for how you want the game to go - Communist USA plus the USSR versus a world of fascism? Go for it.

Then there's the bad way to play:

3. Ahistorical, don't touch any settings. Watch as one of the factions has an embarrassingly easy cakewalk because everyone randomly chose to join it this game.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Good to know, thanks!

The one game I played through featured Manchuko turning on Japan and immediately joining the Allies, kicking off the Pacific War early. Also Russia being conquered twice, first by the Axis, then the Allies though I'm not sure why they were immediately at war after the Axis fell.

Is there a mod to improve peace treaties so the border gore is minimized? The US ended up owning the Baltic with Lithuania being two non-contiguous provinces.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Player led peace conferences perhaps, though that may only apply to one that you're actively involved in.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Iymarra posted:

Player led peace conferences perhaps, though that may only apply to one that you're actively involved in.

This mod feels really cheaty but it seems to do a great job at preventing AI peace treaties from going completely nuts.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i always play with player led peace conferences. it's goddamn infuriating to go to all the trouble of reclaiming the home islands from the syndicalist menace, only to have the kaiser run off with loving Cornwall or something in the peace treaty preventing me from forming the UK. sure it removes the whole treaty minigame but gently caress that minigame.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Ahist does seem to have some pull towards packing a powderkeg, but probably not that much beyond giving everyone the reactive 'enemy of my bigger neighbor is my friend' behavior minors get up to when a generally-historic war goes through the Caucasus rather than the Balkans or anything happens in South America.

The real curse of it, I've found, is that Japan's AI is fond of, when ahist wars break out even on historical, offering threatened small but rich east Asian countries the 'protection' of the Sphere. Small but rich east Asian countries like Macao or Batavia. I've had several Spanarchist runs where I just didn't get a focus tree because annexing Portugal required overrunning Tokyo.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
There was Enhanced Peace Conference AI but it hasn't been updated since 1.6, so I don't know if it still works.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

This mod feels really cheaty but it seems to do a great job at preventing AI peace treaties from going completely nuts.

It's only cheaty if you cheat. Just go a little hard on yourself and be a little generous to the AI.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Note that player led peace conferences doesn't play nice with most overhauls, just an fyi

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I usually just find myself doing the regular peace conference, then using the "setowner" console command to swap a few states around after the fact. It's usually done quicker than doing the whole peace conference manually with the mod.

"setowner" is so useful in general to have in your arsenal. I use it all the time to give extraneous non-claimed states that the Kaiserreich/Kaiserredux post-annex release decisions don't give to a puppet to somebody that has a core on them just so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Picked up this game a few weeks ago after enjoying Stellaris for a while last winter, but not liking the combat system. Liking HOI4 much better so far.
Playing through as USSR, with Trotsky as the leader with NKVD research, so I am just couping all over the place. Doing pretty good with my mission to spread communism around the globe. Had a few questions though:

Are jet fighters worth the cost and research? I have most of my necessary research done, but otherwise I could research some bigass tanks or something. Germany has decided to dump all 3000 or so Axis planes they have access to on my front line, so I can either start cranking out Yak-3s to replace my Laggs or go right on to jets.

Is rocketry worth it? I built one rocket launch site but haven't built anything to launch yet.

Is it better to max radar and put in 1 AA emplacement or max AA then build up your radar?

Tired of these motherfuckin Germans in these motherfuckin planes, I'm trying to march to Berlin here

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Got support AA company in your units?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The USSR really does best not even bothering with the air war; I put AA companies into all my divisions and that works fine.

Rocket sites aren't worth it, but the Katyushas are tasty and get a lot of damage boosts from rocket tech.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Iymarra posted:

Got support AA company in your units?

I have one template that has them. I have plenty of room in my standard template to add them though, so I can do that.

Byzantine posted:

The USSR really does best not even bothering with the air war; I put AA companies into all my divisions and that works fine.

Rocket sites aren't worth it, but the Katyushas are tasty and get a lot of damage boosts from rocket tech.

Sounds like I need to build fewer planes, and more farm trucks loaded down with rockets and also farm trucks with AA (guns not the support group for drinking problems). Might take this advice and load up an earlier save, I had a border stalemate with Germany for about a year where I had to gain air superiority before I could advance my armies and not get melted.

Thanks for the answers. I was really close to giving up on paradox games due to Stellaris, but I'm glad I didn't.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ardemia posted:

Are jet fighters worth the cost and research? I have most of my necessary research done, but otherwise I could research some bigass tanks or something. Germany has decided to dump all 3000 or so Axis planes they have access to on my front line, so I can either start cranking out Yak-3s to replace my Laggs or go right on to jets.

Is rocketry worth it? I built one rocket launch site but haven't built anything to launch yet.

Is it better to max radar and put in 1 AA emplacement or max AA then build up your radar?

Tired of these motherfuckin Germans in these motherfuckin planes, I'm trying to march to Berlin here

Jets are fine but not overwhelmingly so until you hit the second tier. They also use significantly more fuel which is the trade off for a big speed bump.

(Static) Rockets are broken, useless, and forgotten. Division rockets are fine.

Radar is incredibly important for your air detection which helps your fighters engage enemy planes. Static AA is ehhh unless you're getting completely dominated by bombers and you have no fighters to shoot them down.

If you just want to reduce the effects on your frontlines getting destroyed from the air give them Support AA. Bonus as it counters most AI armour. And if you want to take the comedy option Med. SPAA dotted into your armies will turn CAS to dust which is hilarious.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Byzantine posted:

The USSR really does best not even bothering with the air war;

you obvisiouly havent unlocked fighter 3s in 1940 with the aviation cult bonus then

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you obvisiouly havent unlocked fighter 3s in 1940 with the aviation cult bonus then

I haven't, no, but I might give it a go next time.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

buglord posted:

I mean, it is cheaty in the sense that you will always come out on top of any allied territory disputes but the peace conference AI is so dogshit I can't imagine playing without it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jet fighters are not in a good place. They lose in combat to normal 1944 fighters (due to worse agility), and they use double the fuel and are more expensive.

They occupy a similar niche to tactical bombers - they're much worse than the other option (in tactical bombers case, this is CAS planes) but have better range (in jet fighters case this is only true of the 1950 jet fighter model) so it is worth having them, but only once you have so many fighters and CAS that every nearby airfield is already full of those, so you're forced to use the airfields that are further away from the combat zone.

Short version - don't build jets or tactical bombers unless you're in a situation where your fighters and CAS are out of range.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Seems like Paradox worked out the kinks for the new launcher, if anyone would be up for a Hoi4 mp game this sunday at noon.

Nations, open slots in the Americas. (The borders are actually way uglier as I consolidated the AI opms into the likely sovereigns for simplicity)

Factions, American nations are just AI and not part of any faction at start.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Gort posted:

Jet fighters are not in a good place. They lose in combat to normal 1944 fighters (due to worse agility), and they use double the fuel and are more expensive.

They occupy a similar niche to tactical bombers - they're much worse than the other option (in tactical bombers case, this is CAS planes) but have better range (in jet fighters case this is only true of the 1950 jet fighter model) so it is worth having them, but only once you have so many fighters and CAS that every nearby airfield is already full of those, so you're forced to use the airfields that are further away from the combat zone.

Short version - don't build jets or tactical bombers unless you're in a situation where your fighters and CAS are out of range.

Jets were definitely kind of a sidegrade back in WWII

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

Jets were definitely kind of a sidegrade back in WWII

Well, sorta. It was pretty clear that they were the future - while you could make piston engines of similar performance, the jet engines were so comparatively cheap and reliable that they were a no-brainer.

Where the side-grade aspect comes in is that it was new technology with all the teething issues and need for retooling that implies.

If I was making or rebalancing HoI4 I'd make the 1945 jets somewhat better than the 1944 fighter, so a player has to decide if they want to lose their tooling and XP bonuses to fighters in order to get jets.

The 1950 jet model should just be straight-up superior to the 1944 fighter in combat, though. Right now that's inferior except for range, and it uses twice the fuel.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Gort posted:

Well, sorta. It was pretty clear that they were the future - while you could make piston engines of similar performance, the jet engines were so comparatively cheap and reliable that they were a no-brainer.

Where the side-grade aspect comes in is that it was new technology with all the teething issues and need for retooling that implies.

Yah, there clearly wasn't time to finish proper development of first-generation jet fighters and roll them out before the war was going to be over. (Germany, true to form, pissed away resources on R&D on this thing as well). Same with most other superweapons; the war was mainly going to be won by proper use and incremental improvement of technologies that were already in use.

(The big exception as far as superweapons go, the nuclear bomb, only barely made it in time to be used and the only power that had the resources required to rush through a project of that size was the USA. If certain pre-war scientific breakthroughs had been made just a few years earlier, everyone would have been further along the road to a working nuke and the war could have looked very different... I often think we kind of lucked out there, that we only got to see two nukes used in anger, and quite small ones at that; then before everyone had arsenals of more powerful nukes, we'd had some years to look at the horrible effects of the loving things, which made the threshold to actually use them higher than it could otherwise have been. Now imagine instead if the breakthroughs had come in a sufficiently pre-war period so that by the time the next big war broke out, all the big powers had their own arsenals and everyone thought of them as "just very big bombs" because they had never been used in anger...)

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Groke posted:

Yah, there clearly wasn't time to finish proper development of first-generation jet fighters and roll them out before the war was going to be over. (Germany, true to form, pissed away resources on R&D on this thing as well). Same with most other superweapons; the war was mainly going to be won by proper use and incremental improvement of technologies that were already in use.

(The big exception as far as superweapons go, the nuclear bomb, only barely made it in time to be used and the only power that had the resources required to rush through a project of that size was the USA. If certain pre-war scientific breakthroughs had been made just a few years earlier, everyone would have been further along the road to a working nuke and the war could have looked very different... I often think we kind of lucked out there, that we only got to see two nukes used in anger, and quite small ones at that; then before everyone had arsenals of more powerful nukes, we'd had some years to look at the horrible effects of the loving things, which made the threshold to actually use them higher than it could otherwise have been. Now imagine instead if the breakthroughs had come in a sufficiently pre-war period so that by the time the next big war broke out, all the big powers had their own arsenals and everyone thought of them as "just very big bombs" because they had never been used in anger...)

This is an interesting post, and I apologize for the detail, but “used in anger” is such a weird euphemism for weapons used due to cold blooded planning.

Anyway! What are some folks favorite/most fun nations to play in HOI4 with the expansions? Including certain paths for certain nations?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Groke posted:

Even for nukes, though it's unpopular in America as it obviates both the jingoistic "well there's at least ONE theater we won on our own" and the more nuanced "we needed to use them to end the war"/"they were a significantly more horrible way to die than the previous state-of-the-art of flattening a Japanese city over a few days" takes, you can make a very solid argument that Imperial Japan's final collapse and surrender had more to do with incremental process improvements culminating in the Soviets being able to supply a front on the far end of the Trans-Siberian and the subsequent shift in their position from "maybe the USSR will stay neutral and play us against the Americans" to "oh gently caress, the army we had left just got rolled up in a week along with 80% of our status quo land area and most of our steel and oil".

fr0id posted:

This is an interesting post, and I apologize for the detail, but “used in anger” is such a weird euphemism for weapons used due to cold blooded planning.

Anyway! What are some folks favorite/most fun nations to play in HOI4 with the expansions? Including certain paths for certain nations?

Really can't go wrong with Communist China, which starts as a plucky minor able to scare up a dozen or so 6w infantry divs for border squabbles with other minors but has focus and decision trees that lead you through growing it into a major member of any faction or a great power on its own.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Anarchist Spain world conquest baybee

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mandoric posted:

Even for nukes, though it's unpopular in America as it obviates both the jingoistic "well there's at least ONE theater we won on our own" and the more nuanced "we needed to use them to end the war"/"they were a significantly more horrible way to die than the previous state-of-the-art of flattening a Japanese city over a few days" takes, you can make a very solid argument that Imperial Japan's final collapse and surrender had more to do with incremental process improvements culminating in the Soviets being able to supply a front on the far end of the Trans-Siberian and the subsequent shift in their position from "maybe the USSR will stay neutral and play us against the Americans" to "oh gently caress, the army we had left just got rolled up in a week along with 80% of our status quo land area and most of our steel and oil".

Really can't go wrong with Communist China, which starts as a plucky minor able to scare up a dozen or so 6w infantry divs for border squabbles with other minors but has focus and decision trees that lead you through growing it into a major member of any faction or a great power on its own.

I’ve played them a bit but bang my head up against Japan declaring war shortly after or even during the post-white peace mop up of nationalist China. How do folks handle the invasion of the Japanese mainland?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

fr0id posted:

I’ve played them a bit but bang my head up against Japan declaring war shortly after or even during the post-white peace mop up of nationalist China. How do folks handle the invasion of the Japanese mainland?

You could make an argument that, even though massed paratroopers are in general cheese the AI can't handle, the Busan-to-Hakata hop is what they're "supposed" to be used for and it's fair game.

Failing that, you either cooperate with an ally (Comintern can come down the Kurils, Allies can supply a navy, aligning with either of the Axis powers solves the problem in its own way) or man the coasts to a stalemate of "no one's landings succeed" while bleeding the limited Japanese manpower dry and spinning up industry for naval bombers that can shred their fleet from Shanghai or Dalian.

E: If you don't have La Resistance loaded, Japan is also extremely vulnerable to the civil war mechanic--the rebels can't hold on their own but give you a friendly port in Osaka while they're alive, splitting Honshu in two. Another generally cheese strat with the veneer of historical semi-plausibility in this case, whether you explain it to yourself as IJA/IJN friction gone hot, an alliance of convenience with pan-Asian-leaning monarchists against the ruling fash or somewhat-modernist useful idiots against the ruling Imperial hardliners, or a Communist China with more early success being able to support at-home activities by the Japanese and colonial forced labor Communist resistance elements that OTL mostly deserted to them or went underground during the war.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 20, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tno update: they added more numbers to speers interface.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fr0id posted:

war goal on Manchuria with a one naval zone invasion on the home islands. the AI shouldnt start with naval supremacy in the zone allowing your invasion to launch at hour 0

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

fr0id posted:

How do folks handle the invasion of the Japanese mainland?

Build up a few shipyards, which are immediately put on submarine production. Military factories go on naval bomber and fighter production. Send submarines out on patrol missions set to "always engage", with lots of naval bombers over the same sea zone. You'll lose a lot of subs, but the naval bombers will eventually destroy the entire Japanese navy. Then it's just a case of doing a standard invasion.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

fr0id posted:

Yeah, I blame the English language. It's a weird mess.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
There have been I am sure literally meters of shelf space filled with arguments about the nuclear bombing of Japan. One argument that has some legs is that it was at least in part to demonstrate the new weapons so Stalin wouldn't get any funny ideas.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Groke posted:

There have been I am sure literally meters of shelf space filled with arguments about the nuclear bombing of Japan. One argument that has some legs is that it was at least in part to demonstrate the new weapons so Stalin wouldn't get any funny ideas.

And then Stalin proceeded to get funny ideas anyway because his immediate response was probably ":aaaaa: I WANT THAT."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Bloody Pom posted:

And then Stalin proceeded to get funny ideas anyway because his immediate response was probably ":aaaaa: I WANT THAT."

the soviets had already infiltrated the manhattan project