Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Thanks for the help folks, I think I'm in the clear now.

I'm gonna say it was probably(?) thermal, but I can't say for sure because I just threw the kitchen sink at it. Re-did the thermal paste on the CPU (it was kinda grody but I've seen worse), cleaned out the whole case and PSU filters, did a clean Windows install including full hard drive format, changed the surge protector for a different one, everything I could think of. It did it all once because I didn't want to have to test for two hours every time I changed something. Had HOI4 going for about three hours now, when before it was usually crashing once an hour or so. Could possibly still happen I guess but it's looking good. It's still kinda weird because a lot of the details don't totally fit thermal events, like automatic restart, but whatever. Best guess, never know for sure.

Sorry for temporary thread derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Glad everything worked out, back to hearts of iron and lizard titties

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PinheadSlim posted:

drat right.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PinheadSlim posted:

Two great tastes that taste great together.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Try to play video game Hearts of Iron 4, have big crash problems. Redo whole computer to fix problems. Play game again. First run, accidentally change division template instead of copying and changing template. Change was 20w tanks to 40w tanks. My field strength and production are brutally owned. My stockpile debt, enormous. Ironman = on.

Classic gamer moment!

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Anyone know if the Bring the War Home mod is still being worked or if it's dead? Saw it pages and months ago and was wondering if anyone here knew. If context is needed, it was this one:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Meme Poker Party posted:

I'm gonna say it was probably(?) thermal, but I can't say for sure because I just threw the kitchen sink at it. Re-did the thermal paste on the CPU (it was kinda grody but I've seen worse), cleaned out the whole case and PSU filters, did a clean Windows install including full hard drive format, changed the surge protector for a different one, everything I could think of. It did it all once because I didn't want to have to test for two hours every time I changed something. Had HOI4 going for about three hours now, when before it was usually crashing once an hour or so. Could possibly still happen I guess but it's looking good. It's still kinda weird because a lot of the details don't totally fit thermal events, like automatic restart, but whatever. Best guess, never know for sure.

WAY TO ISOLATE YOUR loving VARIABLES

*throws keyboard at wall*

xD

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TwoStepBoog posted:

Anyone know if the Bring the War Home mod is still being worked or if it's dead? Saw it pages and months ago and was wondering if anyone here knew. If context is needed, it was this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BTWHmod/comments/lqa3a2/mod_dead/

Apparently they were planning on doing a TNO-like limited scope demo, but decided against it and are working towards a full release. No release date, but apparently the Discord is active, so there's still life in it.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rryQfAnQs3M

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztei_NItmSs the boys are back

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Our UK player has indicated they won't be here again this sunday, so we could use a sub for our game, noon to 4 pm EST.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

That’s a very high quality mod trailer, i’m impressed

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Considering that the commercial Darkest Hour HoI2 game is still one of the best ww2 games, this is really exciting news.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do they have a list somewhere of what features they're aiming for?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah it looks very pretty, but uhh what else is going on in the mod

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Dramicus posted:

Considering that the commercial Darkest Hour HoI2 game is still one of the best ww2 games, this is really exciting news.

yeah it's the best.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I mean, the mod has nothing to do with the HoI2 Darkest Hour beyond name and general idea.

I dunno, I'll be trying it of course, but back when I followed the dev diaries for it on the Paradox forums, I remember getting really weird vibes from some comment about how Hitler Germany was being given maluses to represent the state being dysfunctional and you shouldn't really be winning WW2 as it and wondering if that really was the way to go for interesting gameplay. Of course now I can't find those posts anymore, so who knows.

Oh well, guess I'll see when it comes out how it actually looks.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TheMcD posted:

I mean, the mod has nothing to do with the HoI2 Darkest Hour beyond name and general idea.

I dunno, I'll be trying it of course, but back when I followed the dev diaries for it on the Paradox forums, I remember getting really weird vibes from some comment about how Hitler Germany was being given maluses to represent the state being dysfunctional and you shouldn't really be winning WW2 as it and wondering if that really was the way to go for interesting gameplay. Of course now I can't find those posts anymore, so who knows.

Oh well, guess I'll see when it comes out how it actually looks.

I don't know what's so weird about that, they were correct. e: correct if the point was that Germany should be a clusterfuck.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 27, 2021

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's weird if you like hitler I guess

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I mean, if I'm going to play the Allies and don't do the things the Allies did that caused Germany's early success, I feel like it's not exactly great gameplay if I just get a easy victory simply based on "oh, you didn't gently caress up, guess Germany has no answer to that, grats, you win". That's already a thing in vanilla HoI4, and reinforcing it further doesn't seem like the right plan to me.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Germany wins way too much in my singleplayer experiences (I mostly just play minor nations and get involved way late in the war) which is really weird in a WW2 strategy game that tries to be at all realistic. That isn't to say I don't enjoy scenarios where Germany becomes a massive global threat that somehow wins a war on like 3 fronts but that should be an ahistorical path imo. Because if it's historical then Hitler should be loving up and production should suffer more.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheMcD posted:

I mean, if I'm going to play the Allies and don't do the things the Allies did that caused Germany's early success, I feel like it's not exactly great gameplay if I just get a easy victory simply based on "oh, you didn't gently caress up, guess Germany has no answer to that, grats, you win". That's already a thing in vanilla HoI4, and reinforcing it further doesn't seem like the right plan to me.

Yeah I never understood the obsessing over giving Germany some ahistorical advantages. The entire game is predicated on several very ahistorical gimmes for the sake of gameplay.

* Almost every nation in the world knows from Jan 1, 1936 that appeasement will not work and they will be involved in an existential hell war and should start preparing.
* The Allies know that Germany will almost certainly attempt to bypass the maginot via the low countries.
* Italy is capable of conducting a competent military campaign.
* No general or national leader (including Hilter) is grossly incompetent/insane or will become so during the war.
* Every nations knows that they cannot bomb/intimidate the enemy into surrender, only near-total ground occupation will lead to capitulation.
* For the most part all the major players have equal access to war-swinging technologies like radar, encryption/decryption, nuclear, etc...

On the balance Germany probably benefits more than most, but there is a TON of stuff that is necessary either from a gameplay standpoint or just to maintain basic balance, including ahistorical advantages for the allies.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Dramicus posted:

I've never seen Dutch borders drawn so well in a Paradox game.

TheMcD posted:

I'm very much a fan of this, a German campaign should start easy and gradually become harder as the Third Reich's flaws catch up to them.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Meme Poker Party posted:

Yeah I never understood the obsessing over giving Germany some ahistorical advantages. The entire game is predicated on several very ahistorical gimmes for the sake of gameplay.

I agree, the only part that poops in my cheerios is calling that "historic" mode

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PinheadSlim posted:

Germany wins way too much in my singleplayer experiences (I mostly just play minor nations and get involved way late in the war) which is really weird in a WW2 strategy game that tries to be at all realistic. That isn't to say I don't enjoy scenarios where Germany becomes a massive global threat that somehow wins a war on like 3 fronts but that should be an ahistorical path imo. Because if it's historical then Hitler should be loving up and production should suffer more.
Yeah its unfortunate that the game does nothing to model Germany's artisanal tank production compared to the allies' assembly line production. I dont know how to model that so player Germany would ever use it or anything but I sometimes wish it was a thing.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

it'd be sick if hoi4 had the feature from decisive campaigns barbarossa where you have to appease train nazi and truck nazi and try to balance all the insane dumbasses and their departments but it would kill off hoi4's most profitable fanbase: the wehraboo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PinheadSlim posted:

I agree, the only part that poops in my cheerios is calling that "historic" mode

Yeah that's fair, but I can understand why they didn't want to do "historic" and "historic but more balanced" as separate options lol.

Trying to image playing as Italy in True-Historic where you just can't get anything done right and Germany has to keep bailing you out.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Meme Poker Party posted:

Yeah that's fair, but I can understand why they didn't want to do "historic" and "historic but more balanced" as separate options lol.

Trying to image playing as Italy in True-Historic where you just can't get anything done right and Germany has to keep bailing you out.

telling the navy to do literally anything and the admirals just going "no way man I don't want to die"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah its unfortunate that the game does nothing to model Germany's artisanal tank production compared to the allies' assembly line production. I dont know how to model that so player Germany would ever use it or anything but I sometimes wish it was a thing.

Concentrated vs Dispersed industry kinda models this. One you have a few levels in Concentrated, you’ll be outproducing a nation using Dispersed. Sure, they can make more variants and upgrade to new fancy guns more quickly, but that doesn’t matter as much if your opponent has twice your number of equipped troops.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I'm not sure that an ai germany that is completely ineffective and collapses on its own would be a very fun opponent.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do they have a list somewhere of what features they're aiming for?

just checked their subreddit and so far it seems to be 1933 start with some alt paths and a general vanilla overhaul.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It's mostly that games seem to cater to the "gErmANS WOUld haVE WON!!!" crowd by making Germany crazy OP.

I get that it's so playing allies is challenging, but most people play Germany anyway so why not make playing Germany hard-mode?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The difficulty for the allies should be how hard it is for them to join the war.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Pvt.Scott posted:

Concentrated vs Dispersed industry kinda models this. One you have a few levels in Concentrated, you’ll be outproducing a nation using Dispersed. Sure, they can make more variants and upgrade to new fancy guns more quickly, but that doesn’t matter as much if your opponent has twice your number of equipped troops.

There's also streamlined vs flexible production but the thing is Hoi4's design has it such that all nations have fundamentally the same mechanics with the main difference being navy war vs land war; and tanks/mec/mot vs lots of infantry and so on, you have macro level decisions to make but they don't really play all that differently if you make the same choices, and most fundamentally the nations aren't different.

Germany's problems basically predate the 1936 start but you basically through focuses, tech and so on the ability to do whatever you want from identical clean slates.

Ideally Germany should have problems, and your choices are more about how you manage those problems and what sort of sacrifices you make to kick the can down the road.

That other game brought up where you're trying to please the train nazi or the truck nazi is a good example, fixing one problem means upsetting someone else which affects your ability to fight.

One thing I wish Hoi4 had was instead of interchangeable "military factories" you did have specific truck factories and tank factories as specific individual things because then you could probably have an easier time modeling the differences in operations management and supply chain and logistical management between different countries and play more with giving static modifiers.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's also streamlined vs flexible production but the thing is Hoi4's design has it such that all nations have fundamentally the same mechanics with the main difference being navy war vs land war; and tanks/mec/mot vs lots of infantry and so on, you have macro level decisions to make but they don't really play all that differently if you make the same choices, and most fundamentally the nations aren't different.

Germany's problems basically predate the 1936 start but you basically through focuses, tech and so on the ability to do whatever you want from identical clean slates.

Ideally Germany should have problems, and your choices are more about how you manage those problems and what sort of sacrifices you make to kick the can down the road.

That other game brought up where you're trying to please the train nazi or the truck nazi is a good example, fixing one problem means upsetting someone else which affects your ability to fight.

One thing I wish Hoi4 had was instead of interchangeable "military factories" you did have specific truck factories and tank factories as specific individual things because then you could probably have an easier time modeling the differences in operations management and supply chain and logistical management between different countries and play more with giving static modifiers.

modeling the variety and uniqueness of each nations industrial production or military structure or even the political factors that tie in to warmaking and military expansion would be interesting, and probably really hard to balance, but the series has been moving towards the current homogenized status with every game that gets released. Part of making hoi4 the most sandboxy and the most conducive to alt-history scenarios was to also make it so that every nation plays and feels the same, really. You're moving all the exact same levers, and usually moving them to the exact same position no matter who you are playing as. Focus trees and the literal geography of the nation you pick are the only real variation.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pvt.Scott posted:

Well I've found that Dispersed is probably superior if you are winning, as it lets you jump further ahead by adopting new technologies faster. At some point, having a billion unused tanks in your supply doesn't help you do any better than you are currently doing but being able to quickly and efficiently upgrade to newer models will help you do better. Concentrated certainly helps if you are coming from behind and it helps make up for any production issues that you might face. I'd say there are probably 3-4 nations that should always use Dispersed (USA, UK, Germany & maybe SU) and everyone else should be on Concentrated.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Axis should be doomed in historical mode, but you can use difficulty sliders to buff them up if you want to change that.

They'd probably have done it this way from the start, but the individual country difficulty sliders weren't in at game start so they had to hardcode the current game narrative where the Axis can fight the Comintern and Allies and Chinese United front solo and win

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gort posted:

The Axis should be doomed in historical mode, but you can use difficulty sliders to buff them up if you want to change that.

They'd probably have done it this way from the start, but the individual country difficulty sliders weren't in at game start so they had to hardcode the current game narrative where the Axis can fight the Comintern and Allies and Chinese United front solo and win

That is in no way hardcoded though. Every DLC we have to spend weeks re-balancing the war because things have changed (and I very much remember people complaining during one DLC or another that minor Axis nations were unplayable because AI Germany couldn't pull its weight). Things like "France can gain two extra civilian factories in 1937" can throw off balance by a massive amount. The unfortunate truth is that HoI has a deep, underlying design problem that I am increasingly convinced is unsolvable: a game with a lot of mechanics centered around a balanced(-ish) sandbox that also is expected to magically produce a historically accurate (or at least believable) WWII storyline. It has to hit the narrative beats players are familiar with: Anschluss, Japanese invasion of China bogging down while occupying half the country, Munich, Danzig or War, France falling very quickly, Barbarossa stalling outside Moscow, Pearl Harbor.

The problem is that HoI is a game where a country can snowball very quickly, and we are putting the German player up on a snowy mountain with a decent-sized snowball to start with. If we didn't, chances are that the average player (40%+ play on easy!) or the AI can't beat France, and then we don't get the big confrontation in the East that people expect to see. But as people have pointed out, this means that Germany, Japan and Italy are absurdly overpowered, which shifts the problem from an Axis that would underperform in 90% of games to an Axis that overperforms in 90% of games.

A game balance where good players can't win the war that doesn't make average players struggle against Poland is very difficult to achieve. Rubberband mechanics are difficult and very easy to make very frustrating, where the player feels like the game just decided that they were no longer allowed to have fun. Down that path lie the Black ICE style -9000% attack modifiers for Germans attacking Stalingrad.

Another aspect of this problem is that being perfectly accurate in terms of power balance means that weirdly enough a lot of historical problems don't occur. The British player knows that a realistic Germany can't possibly have a big enough fleet to execute an opposed landing in Britain in 1940, so there is no need to hold forces in reserve to defend against a landing. That means the Britain can then overwhelm Italy in North Africa before the Germans can even get there.

Ironically enough a lot of the more hardcore games do it similarly. The Soviets get bonuses in War in the East for the first winter because otherwise the Germans would just keep going through the winter. The first release of War in the Pacific just threw up its hands and went "The Zero is just straight up better than its stats would suggest" because otherwise the allied player just wouldn't feel threatened. AT that point you gotta ask why you are investing so much time and effort into making a simulation if you are then going to massage the results to be what the player would expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah making a game that has the sort of dynamic difficulty or models/simulates how things work historical if it could be done would probably also not be Hoi4 anymore past a certain point.

There's also the issue of gameplay especially in multiplayer. I've played in games where literally the moment the Axis players determines the war is unwinnable they immediately vote to surrender instead of fighting it out and recreating the 1943 to 1945 march to Berlin.

(Also an interesting problem in multiplayer is the extent more 'serious' Hoi4 mp games making a huge list of rules with the intent of railroading a historical WW2 as much as possible)

This implies (albeit anecdotally) that maybe there's a large amount of players that won't play if they're losing. Which a more historically accurate game of hoi where the game turns on the German player if they stall towards Moscow is guaranteed to put them in that situation.

I personally think losing can be very engaging in a dwarf-fortressy sort of way, but it is also very stressful to be that position.

So even if paradox did make it such that axis are more likely to lose you have the problem that losing also needs to be fun, so the axis players don't (ironically) start pointing fingers at each other.