Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Does War in the East not model the logistical tether, or subzero temperatures?

Like, hop into a Panzer III E, and just try and drive that bitch from Warsaw to Moscow. Don't even need people shooting at you, you're probably not gonna make it without an overhaul or 3

And go ahead and try to walk that distance, in summer kit, as the weather turns. Good loving luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.reddit.com/r/TNOmod/comments/ltie6l/announcement_from_the_subreddit/

People really have it in for this mod...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Kild posted:

The difficulty for the allies should be how hard it is for them to join the war.

I remember in HOI2 how a USA player had time to mess with some sliders and join the Allies before the European war even started. Full war production over two years ahead of time. That was... broken.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
That's another part of the puzzle, you have allied players who know the war is happening, and this swings things to the point some games ban france extending the maginot line.

If players approached the game less like this team game of Axis vs. Allies but more as there is a winner and that winner is either the Allies the Axis or the Comintern where if the USSR player decided "Oh hey, they are legit stalemated in Western Europe, time to kick Japan out of China" it would be a healthier game if ahistorical results could be more embraced then refighting exactly WW2 up until at latest 1942.

I once made a Arsenal of Democracy mod that was the Harry Turtledove "The War That Came Early" scenario/series because it was a alternate history scenario that felt exactly like playing a Hearts of Iron game. Because you have people flipping sides all the time.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I once made a Arsenal of Democracy mod that was the Harry Turtledove "The War That Came Early" scenario/series because it was a alternate history scenario that felt exactly like playing a Hearts of Iron game. Because you have people flipping sides all the time.

I'm reading a series right now with a real similar vibe, although maybe closer to a ported Victoria 2 game; the New England series by James Philip. It's a world where Washington was killed at the Battle of Long Island and the American Revolution failed. The colonial empires never fell and, because empires stagnate, in the late 1970's the technology is about thirty years behind OTL. The big conflict is the Spanish colonies of Cuba, Mexico, and Hispaniola attacking the British in the Caribbean and American southwest after a military coup in Spain, with the German and Japanese empires are also looking for ways to meddle in the fight.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It's mostly that games seem to cater to the "gErmANS WOUld haVE WON!!!" crowd by making Germany crazy OP.

I get that it's so playing allies is challenging, but most people play Germany anyway so why not make playing Germany hard-mode?

I think it's just ultimately down to the fact that if Germany isn't *at least* strong enough to beat France and Poland plus put up a good fight with the Soviets, you got a boring as gently caress game for 99% of the nations. Why would anyone ever play the US if Germany chokes to death before you even land any guys in England? The entire European theater is driven entirely by Germany, a strong Germany is guaranteed to be fun to fight for everyone from the US to the Soviets, yet a wimpy Germany that dies to France in 1940 is fun for no one aside France and maybe the UK, the devs really don't want a situation where players feel like they have wasted potentially hours of their time.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jesus man these folks can't catch a break. I assume this is kiwi farms again or did they catch the eye of some Nazis

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah making a game that has the sort of dynamic difficulty or models/simulates how things work historical if it could be done would probably also not be Hoi4 anymore past a certain point.

There's also the issue of gameplay especially in multiplayer. I've played in games where literally the moment the Axis players determines the war is unwinnable they immediately vote to surrender instead of fighting it out and recreating the 1943 to 1945 march to Berlin.

(Also an interesting problem in multiplayer is the extent more 'serious' Hoi4 mp games making a huge list of rules with the intent of railroading a historical WW2 as much as possible)

This implies (albeit anecdotally) that maybe there's a large amount of players that won't play if they're losing. Which a more historically accurate game of hoi where the game turns on the German player if they stall towards Moscow is guaranteed to put them in that situation.

I personally think losing can be very engaging in a dwarf-fortressy sort of way, but it is also very stressful to be that position.

So even if paradox did make it such that axis are more likely to lose you have the problem that losing also needs to be fun, so the axis players don't (ironically) start pointing fingers at each other.

I've tried to stick it out in a few recent runs and play through my faction's capitulation. It can definitely be fun in its own way, and i think it's improved my play. I've gotten much more comfortable responding to sudden crises at least

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

That is in no way hardcoded though. Every DLC we have to spend weeks re-balancing the war because things have changed (and I very much remember people complaining during one DLC or another that minor Axis nations were unplayable because AI Germany couldn't pull its weight). Things like "France can gain two extra civilian factories in 1937" can throw off balance by a massive amount. The unfortunate truth is that HoI has a deep, underlying design problem that I am increasingly convinced is unsolvable: a game with a lot of mechanics centered around a balanced(-ish) sandbox that also is expected to magically produce a historically accurate (or at least believable) WWII storyline. It has to hit the narrative beats players are familiar with: Anschluss, Japanese invasion of China bogging down while occupying half the country, Munich, Danzig or War, France falling very quickly, Barbarossa stalling outside Moscow, Pearl Harbor.

The problem is that HoI is a game where a country can snowball very quickly, and we are putting the German player up on a snowy mountain with a decent-sized snowball to start with. If we didn't, chances are that the average player (40%+ play on easy!) or the AI can't beat France, and then we don't get the big confrontation in the East that people expect to see. But as people have pointed out, this means that Germany, Japan and Italy are absurdly overpowered, which shifts the problem from an Axis that would underperform in 90% of games to an Axis that overperforms in 90% of games.

A game balance where good players can't win the war that doesn't make average players struggle against Poland is very difficult to achieve. Rubberband mechanics are difficult and very easy to make very frustrating, where the player feels like the game just decided that they were no longer allowed to have fun. Down that path lie the Black ICE style -9000% attack modifiers for Germans attacking Stalingrad.

Another aspect of this problem is that being perfectly accurate in terms of power balance means that weirdly enough a lot of historical problems don't occur. The British player knows that a realistic Germany can't possibly have a big enough fleet to execute an opposed landing in Britain in 1940, so there is no need to hold forces in reserve to defend against a landing. That means the Britain can then overwhelm Italy in North Africa before the Germans can even get there.

Ironically enough a lot of the more hardcore games do it similarly. The Soviets get bonuses in War in the East for the first winter because otherwise the Germans would just keep going through the winter. The first release of War in the Pacific just threw up its hands and went "The Zero is just straight up better than its stats would suggest" because otherwise the allied player just wouldn't feel threatened. AT that point you gotta ask why you are investing so much time and effort into making a simulation if you are then going to massage the results to be what the player would expect.

I'd say the current balance and performance for Germany and Japan is in a pretty good place right now. When playing against them, they generally don't do anything that I wouldn't expect them to be capable of. The main thing sticking out is Italy. I often find myself calling bullshit out loud when I see Italy landing in Norway or even making landings in India after taking the Suez. I'd say Italy has access to way too much manpower. They end up fielding armies that are comparable in size to Germany and this throws all sorts of things out of wack, for example they contribute 1000's of % more to the war in against the Soviet Union than they did in reality and they seem to consistently beat the British in North Africa. This is what often leads to the Axis over-performing in general. I find that Hungary and Romania are probably fielding more divisions than they should, but they don't cause me to throw my hands up and cry "bullshit!" as much as the Italians do.

Maybe Italy needs some sort of mechanic where if they are doing well, they continue to do well, but as their casualties mount they start to fall apart. Seeing Italy take 5 million casualties without breaking a sweat and keep fighting is probably something that shouldn't happen. They need to be less stable and be in a more precarious position in general. Then Germany would have to babysit them every time they try invading Greece or some other operation. I think it would lead to a more historical outcome overall.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 1, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dramicus posted:

I'd say the current balance and performance for Germany and Japan is in a pretty good place right now.

this man has clearly never played as the ussr

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

this man has clearly never played as the ussr

It's one of the easiest nations to play in singleplayer. Multiplayer is another story, but it's really not hard to do whatever you want as the Soviets.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
its not exceedingly difficult to hold the germans at the molotov line

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'd still like to see a slider or checkbox setting for balanced vs historical play. Archangel, if you guys are out there thinking about HOI5, I'd also love to see support for specific scenarios. I think a lot of people want to be able to refight the war and prove they could have done better, and then they get cranky because the Axis can't win unless either the Allies play utterly dumb or you rewrite history to remedy Axis material deficiencies. You could, however, start a game in a certain situation and say the German victory condition is to take Stalingrad, or the Japanese victory condition is to control part of Guadalcanal in June 1943. The existing achievements do some of this, but I think getting the achievement and them getting steamrolled because no long-term victory is possible feels a lot less cool than winning the scenario and having the game end.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Dramicus posted:

I'd say the current balance and performance for Germany and Japan is in a pretty good place right now. When playing against them, they generally don't do anything that I wouldn't expect them to be capable of. The main thing sticking out is Italy. I often find myself calling bullshit out loud when I see Italy landing in Norway or even making landings in India after taking the Suez. I'd say Italy has access to way too much manpower. They end up fielding armies that are comparable in size to Germany and this throws all sorts of things out of wack, for example they contribute 1000's of % more to the war in against the Soviet Union than they did in reality and they seem to consistently beat the British in North Africa. This is what often leads to the Axis over-performing in general. I find that Hungary and Romania are probably fielding more divisions than they should, but they don't cause me to throw my hands up and cry "bullshit!" as much as the Italians do.

Maybe Italy needs some sort of mechanic where if they are doing well, they continue to do well, but as their casualties mount they start to fall apart. Seeing Italy take 5 million casualties without breaking a sweat and keep fighting is probably something that shouldn't happen. They need to be less stable and be in a more precarious position in general. Then Germany would have to babysit them every time they try invading Greece or some other operation. I think it would lead to a more historical outcome overall.

I think one way of trying to model this is that Italy accumulates less political power due to the Benito wasn't really all that in control of Italy (the King still maintained a lot of power). Without enough political power it should be harder to switch laws; and maybe give custom nation-specific laws. The USSR's war economy or total mobilization should not be the same as Germany's etc. Germany also doesn't in game do the same things it does in real life, which is doing the equivalent of demobilizing and remobilizing between 1940 and 1941.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm reading a series right now with a real similar vibe, although maybe closer to a ported Victoria 2 game; the New England series by James Philip. It's a world where Washington was killed at the Battle of Long Island and the American Revolution failed. The colonial empires never fell and, because empires stagnate, in the late 1970's the technology is about thirty years behind OTL. The big conflict is the Spanish colonies of Cuba, Mexico, and Hispaniola attacking the British in the Caribbean and American southwest after a military coup in Spain, with the German and Japanese empires are also looking for ways to meddle in the fight.

I grabbed the first book and it's pretty good so far. Gotta ask though, does he ever slow down with the massive exposition dumps. Really frontloaded with that stuff.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

I grabbed the first book and it's pretty good so far. Gotta ask though, does he ever slow down with the massive exposition dumps. Really frontloaded with that stuff.

Nope! If anything there's even more in the latter books when he starts to get into what society is like in Mexico or Spain or Germany. Also the guy never met a run-on sentence that he didn't think could have a few more clauses tacked on at the end or even in the middle. When I got used to it these became an endearing feature, not a bug, but I can easily understand someone bouncing off it.

The author also has a multiple-book series set in a world where the Cuban Missile Crises went hot that I'm going to check out after I finish the latest New England book.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'd still like to see a slider or checkbox setting for balanced vs historical play. Archangel, if you guys are out there thinking about HOI5, I'd also love to see support for specific scenarios. I think a lot of people want to be able to refight the war and prove they could have done better, and then they get cranky because the Axis can't win unless either the Allies play utterly dumb or you rewrite history to remedy Axis material deficiencies. You could, however, start a game in a certain situation and say the German victory condition is to take Stalingrad, or the Japanese victory condition is to control part of Guadalcanal in June 1943. The existing achievements do some of this, but I think getting the achievement and them getting steamrolled because no long-term victory is possible feels a lot less cool than winning the scenario and having the game end.

While a cool idea, in practice maintaining these scenarios and making sure that they are reasonably balanced while the rest of the game shifts around has historically been a lot more effort than it is worth.

I do kinda wish we had a "Hearts of Iron: Operations" standalone game though, focusing on smaller scenarios instead of trying to balance out this giant world war.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The scenarios in Hearts of Iron 2 were pretty fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BillBear posted:

I think it's just ultimately down to the fact that if Germany isn't *at least* strong enough to beat France and Poland plus put up a good fight with the Soviets, you got a boring as gently caress game for 99% of the nations. Why would anyone ever play the US if Germany chokes to death before you even land any guys in England? The entire European theater is driven entirely by Germany, a strong Germany is guaranteed to be fun to fight for everyone from the US to the Soviets, yet a wimpy Germany that dies to France in 1940 is fun for no one aside France and maybe the UK, the devs really don't want a situation where players feel like they have wasted potentially hours of their time.

Think this just comes down to designing the base scenario to be historical, and then making it clear to players that if they want Germany to have a 100% chance of beating France and Poland that you set "boost Germany" to 2 notches.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Gort posted:

Think this just comes down to designing the base scenario to be historical, and then making it clear to players that if they want Germany to have a 100% chance of beating France and Poland that you set "boost Germany" to 2 notches.

The vast majority of game players slam default default default and get into the game. The game has to be balanced around the default settings being fun, even if it's not historical. Perhaps they should just make the buff bars able to go negative so you can set Germany down two notches.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jeoh posted:

The scenarios in Hearts of Iron 2 were pretty fun.

bring back the wacky Armageddon alt history scenario

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Zeron posted:

The vast majority of game players slam default default default and get into the game. The game has to be balanced around the default settings being fun

These two are often at odds in the current setup. I didn't necessarily want to border Nazi Germany in 1941 in my historical Communist China playthrough.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Moon Slayer posted:

Nope! If anything there's even more in the latter books when he starts to get into what society is like in Mexico or Spain or Germany. Also the guy never met a run-on sentence that he didn't think could have a few more clauses tacked on at the end or even in the middle. When I got used to it these became an endearing feature, not a bug, but I can easily understand someone bouncing off it.

The author also has a multiple-book series set in a world where the Cuban Missile Crises went hot that I'm going to check out after I finish the latest New England book.

gently caress. Alright, guess I'll power through all the same, thanks.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Gort posted:

Yeah, this is a terrible solution. No one would ever do this and the majority of people who buy the game would be baffled as to why germany is dead in January of 1940.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Up Circle posted:

Yeah, this is a terrible solution. No one would ever do this and the majority of people who buy the game would be baffled as to why germany is dead in January of 1940.

Yeah if anything, you do the opposite. You make the default scenario the balanced one, and the "lovely historic Axis" scenario the variant.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Guess we'll agree to disagree. You could make it a "powerful Germany" tickbox that comes pre-ticked if you like, similar to the "historical national focuses" box.

I think you guys overestimate the number of players who are playing historical and are playing defensive USA and USSR.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Gort posted:

Guess we'll agree to disagree. You could make it a "powerful Germany" tickbox that comes pre-ticked if you like, similar to the "historical national focuses" box.

I think you guys overestimate the number of players who are playing historical and are playing defensive USA and USSR.

I mean, at least for Groogy and Archangel, they have the game's actual analytics.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

I mean, at least for Groogy and Archangel, they have the game's actual analytics.

Sure, which they've shared with the fanbase a couple of times. Germany and Italy were the most-played countries last time they did that, Germany by a huge margin (like 17% of all games were Germany)

Again, we're discussing game balance decisions that were made before the implementation of country-specific difficulty settings. When the game released, all you had was the game difficulty settings, which only really affect game balance by making the player nation better or worse.

I think that if they had the country-specific difficulty sliders at launch, they wouldn't have baked the "France always loses, Axis are as powerful as the other factions combined, minor nations are overpowered, USSR needs to be rescued by allied landings" narrative into the game setup.

Gort fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 3, 2021

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gort posted:

Sure, which they've shared with the fanbase a couple of times. Germany and Italy were the most-played countries last time they did that, Germany by a huge margin (like 17% of all games were Germany)

This is down from 40% on launch, by the way

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

What's the least popular nation to play?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Jeoh posted:

What's the least popular nation to play?

Of the majors you don't see a lot of talk about the UK.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Randallteal posted:

Of the majors you don't see a lot of talk about the UK.

Last time they shared stats, UK was sixth-highest. Keep in mind this was shortly after Battle for the Bosporus so you have the redone nations like Turkey a long way up the chart.

quote:

Top 20 played nations
Counting most sessions > 5h

Germany - 17.9%
Italy - 7.4%
Soviet - 7.7%
France - 5.5%
Turkey - 5.1%
Britain - 4.7%
USA - 4.6%
Japan - 3.9%
Hungary - 3.7%
Spain - 3.2%
Greece - 3.0%
Romania - 2.0%
China - 1.9%
PRC - 1.9%
Bulgaria - 1.8%
Yugoslavia - 1.7%
Netherlands - 1.5%
Portugal - 1.5%
Mexico - 1.4%
Czechoslovakia - 1.2%

Edit: Why is Italy above the USSR in the list when fewer players play it, Podcat

Edit2: Italy ahistorically overpowered as usual

Gort fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 3, 2021

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Last time they shared stats, UK was sixth-highest. Keep in mind this was shortly after Battle for the Bosporus so you have the redone nations like Turkey a long way up the chart.

Edit: Why is Italy above the USSR in the list when fewer players play it, Podcat

Edit2: Italy ahistorically overpowered as usual

It was a freudian slip, because Italy is the next nation to get an overhaul. After that it will be Communist Germany, then maybe the Soviets will be a pre-order DLC for HoI 5.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

In my experience I do all the work fighting Germany then the Allies swoop in with landings and claim half of Europe, so HoI4 is historical

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I keep meaning to play as everyone else and then end up either as France or anti-Nazi Germany. Britain is fun but too fiddly, USSR needs an overhaul and is kind of too big, USA is good for the civil war mainly. I haven’t really tried taking GI Joe into a D Day, is that fun?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Byzantine posted:

In my experience I do all the work fighting Germany then the Allies swoop in with landings and claim half of Europe, so HoI4 is historical

The key is to knock Japan out before the war in Europe starts so that the US never joins the allies

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beefeater1980 posted:

I haven’t really tried taking GI Joe into a D Day, is that fun?

Not really, because you end up liberating France and thus cannot expand the ports in the area. So when your AI buddies start flooding units into Normandy after you make a landing, you start drowning in supply issues that you cant fix because France is an ally and you can't build any ports or infrastructure in their land.

Note: I should add this is if you join the Allies. If you go communist and attack the UK and France you don't have this problem.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 3, 2021

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dramicus posted:

Not really, because you end up liberating France and thus cannot expand the ports in the area. So when your AI buddies start flooding units into Normandy after you make a landing, you start drowning in supply issues that you cant fix because France is an ally and you can't build any ports or infrastructure in their land.

Note: I should add this is if you join the Allies. If you go communist and attack the UK and France you don't have this problem.

This is why you play with Allied Construction mod, naturally

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Fuligin posted:

This is why you play with Allied Construction mod, naturally

I didn’t know this was a thing and would make naval invasions on allied land way way less sucky. That was always really infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
It’s me. I’m the 1.9% of people playing China

E: I play China so often because it gels well with my short attention span and lack of focus caused by mental illness/my medications. It has a short-term buildup and an early victory goal with a narrow amount of important decisions to make on the way.

E2: trolling Japan by getting them to sign a non-aggression pact is funny

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 3, 2021