Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Fuligin posted:

This is why you play with Allied Construction mod, naturally

OH MY GOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I figure there's no better thread than this to say I've always loved your av's Raskolnikov38. What was your last one? A nyan T-70?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol i think it was a t-26 or a t-34. i would rotate through tanks when i got bored of one

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Playing again after a year or so and I forgot how desperately the naval invasion system needs an overhaul. So much fun having to place half a million divisions along a shore and then having to baby sit them because the AI will just spam them nonstop. Its like a bunch of zombies just mindlessly bashing their heads against walls and doors. God help you when one is successful when you look away for half a second.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pvt.Scott posted:

It’s me. I’m the 1.9% of people playing China

E: I play China so often because it gels well with my short attention span and lack of focus caused by mental illness/my medications. It has a short-term buildup and an early victory goal with a narrow amount of important decisions to make on the way.

E2: trolling Japan by getting them to sign a non-aggression pact is funny

Same, mostly for your initial edit.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

DurosKlav posted:

Playing again after a year or so and I forgot how desperately the naval invasion system needs an overhaul. So much fun having to place half a million divisions along a shore and then having to baby sit them because the AI will just spam them nonstop. Its like a bunch of zombies just mindlessly bashing their heads against walls and doors. God help you when one is successful when you look away for half a second.

I'm sure you already know this, but only set area defense/garrison to naval bases. Enemy divisions that land on your shores need to connect to a supply zone, and without a naval base they'll snake around a few tiles before getting stuck at 0 organization. It makes a China playthrough so much easier.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm reading a series right now with a real similar vibe, although maybe closer to a ported Victoria 2 game; the New England series by James Philip. It's a world where Washington was killed at the Battle of Long Island and the American Revolution failed. The colonial empires never fell and, because empires stagnate, in the late 1970's the technology is about thirty years behind OTL. The big conflict is the Spanish colonies of Cuba, Mexico, and Hispaniola attacking the British in the Caribbean and American southwest after a military coup in Spain, with the German and Japanese empires are also looking for ways to meddle in the fight.

...that premise doesn't really make much sense? Empires tend to stagnate in isolation, when there's no threats or rivals to spur them on. The european empires of that era never really were in any position like that, what with continental Europe being a gigantic thunderbowl of like half a dozen great powers sitting on each others' doorsteps.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Magni posted:

...that premise doesn't really make much sense?

Correct, it is an alt history novel.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Magni posted:

...that premise doesn't really make much sense? Empires tend to stagnate in isolation, when there's no threats or rivals to spur them on. The european empires of that era never really were in any position like that, what with continental Europe being a gigantic thunderbowl of like half a dozen great powers sitting on each others' doorsteps.

Spoilering for people who don't care about bookchat, but the in-universe explanation is that there was a three-way world war in the 1860s between the UK, France, and proto-Germany. France lost, and the resulting treaty between the great powers established the new international system that was intentionally balanced so that there were few advantages to launching another war. The series is about this system breaking down, just like how the Congress of Vienna set up the system that broke down into World War 1, and the Treaty of Versailles set up a system that broke down into World War 2.

Having the big war in the 1860's also has the neat trivia of UK generals Robert E. Lee and William Sherman fighting side-by-side in France.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
So after a few false starts, I began my first "real" HOI4 game as the Soviets. I've got factories and production lines mostly figured out and feeling pretty smug about combat after my 4 volunteer divisions basically win the Spanish Civil War.

Fast forward to late 1942, most of the world has fallen to fascism, my Spanish allies are getting pushed back across the Pyrenees, the US still hasn't entered the war and the Germans are holding the Polish front with 50 divs to my 150. So, uh, any hot tips for the next game? My army comp is clearly not up to snuff but I'm not sure what I should be doing differently. For reference most if that is infantry divs (with artillery) and a couple of medium tank armies intended for breakthrough that just can't do anything to entrenched German divisions.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Have 300 divisions next time.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

you need planes, CAS and fighters, to help breakthroughs with your tanks. also what are your tank division templates and tech like?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

So after a few false starts, I began my first "real" HOI4 game as the Soviets. I've got factories and production lines mostly figured out and feeling pretty smug about combat after my 4 volunteer divisions basically win the Spanish Civil War.

Fast forward to late 1942, most of the world has fallen to fascism, my Spanish allies are getting pushed back across the Pyrenees, the US still hasn't entered the war and the Germans are holding the Polish front with 50 divs to my 150. So, uh, any hot tips for the next game? My army comp is clearly not up to snuff but I'm not sure what I should be doing differently. For reference most if that is infantry divs (with artillery) and a couple of medium tank armies intended for breakthrough that just can't do anything to entrenched German divisions.

Doesn't sound like the game is over yet fam, it's 1942 and you haven't even lost poland yet. Reorganizing your mobile armies and focusing on making a big breakthrough might help.

Or recruiting another 150 divisions might too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

a couple of medium tank armies
You only need half an army of armor at most. If you're getting a few armies worth your supply lines are going to be overburdened and replacing losses would be difficult if they all get into a lot of fighting. For example as Democratic Germany I can beat the soviets with 4x 40 width armored divisions and an army of 10 or 20 width motorized divisions to fill in behind my breakthroughs.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

If you're playing historical, you usually want Germany to be the one pushing into your territory, either to make them bash uselessly against your forts or to cut off their spearheads.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

what if you have them bash uselessly against the molotov line

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Thanks all, this is very helpful! And the game is indeed not over, since the Americans got off their asses and I finally figured out how to set up offensive lines better.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you need planes, CAS and fighters, to help breakthroughs with your tanks. also what are your tank division templates and tech like?

I've got planes but I started production way too late so I dont have nearly enough to keep up. I definitely need to rethink how many factories I need to put in each production line. As for my tank divisions, they have 5 med tank battalions and 4 motorized infantry with attached artillery, anti tank and armored recon. I would like to emphasize that I have no idea what I'm doing for division templates :shrug:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what if you have them bash uselessly against the molotov line

That's always my plan, yeah. Welcome to the Iron Curtain, fuckers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

yeah one of the big SP ussr problems is that the allies will do nothing to whittle down the luftwaffe unless you do it for them

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Thanks all, this is very helpful! And the game is indeed not over, since the Americans got off their asses and I finally figured out how to set up offensive lines better.

I've got planes but I started production way too late so I dont have nearly enough to keep up. I definitely need to rethink how many factories I need to put in each production line. As for my tank divisions, they have 5 med tank battalions and 4 motorized infantry with attached artillery, anti tank and armored recon. I would like to emphasize that I have no idea what I'm doing for division templates :shrug:

Add another motorised battalion to that tank template so it's 20 width, and ditch the attached AT in favour of engineers, AA and maintenance companies.

Hold off on attacking if you're not succeeding - time is on your side. Build shitloads of fighters - 1944 model fighters with 5 agility, 1 firepower, 5 reliability and 4 range will annihilate enemy planes. Once you start winning in the air, get some CAS and use it to support your attacks - then you'll win.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

As for my tank divisions, they have 5 med tank battalions and 4 motorized infantry with attached artillery, anti tank and armored recon. I would like to emphasize that I have no idea what I'm doing for division templates :shrug:
That is a great baseline! Tanks work better in 40 width divisions but 20 width is just fine and like Gort said, with one more motorized battalion you're in great shape.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You only need half an army of armor at most.

I wonder if new players think they need more tanks because so many German and Soviet commanders start with the armor commander trait. Assigning almost all of them to all infantry armies definitely felt weird to me at first.

I don't remember running into that in HOI 2 either. I think I must have kept most of the tank guys low rank in 2 so they could all have small mobile armies. Jeez, I'm already forgetting how that game even worked. :sigh:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah one of the big SP ussr problems is that the allies will do nothing to whittle down the luftwaffe unless you do it for them

Unfortunately AI Germany doesn't tend to send and lose its entire airforce across the channel. This means they typically have a more intact luftwaffe for barbarossa, but it's not insurmountable especially since you know it's coming.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the game does not account for Goring being a huge moron failure sadly.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the game does not account for Goring Meyer being a huge moron failure sadly.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the game does not account for Goring the Nazis being a huge moron failure sadly.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

true but i feel like goring is extra special considering he spent the entire war making the biggest mistakes and also looting everything he could get, truly one of histories funniest monsters.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

ItohRespectArmy posted:

true but i feel like goring is extra special considering he spent the entire war making the biggest mistakes and also looting everything he could get, truly one of histories funniest monsters.

Fair. and don't forget the absurdly lavish mansion he built in northern Germany where he threw even more outlandish parties and displayed said looted treasures.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Ardryn posted:

Fair. and don't forget the absurdly lavish mansion he built in northern Germany where he threw even more outlandish parties and displayed said looted treasures.

oh I could never, he married some swedish princess too right?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Countess according to Wikipedia, but close enough! His second wife was an actress.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

The daughter of the Swedish count that gave the Finns their totally not Nazi swastika.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

im just saying there needs to be a TNO style minigame as Germany where you need to provide goring with enough food and loot to distract him long enough before he gets Ideas On Things and throws away all your planes in a way that also lets an entire army escape.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The daughter of the Swedish count that gave the Finns their totally not Nazi swastika.

Wrong on several counts there, her sister was married to the count you mean, and the donation of the plane which led to finnish use of the swastika predates nazi german use of it. You can say they derived from the same nationalist place however

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ItohRespectArmy posted:

im just saying there needs to be a TNO style minigame as Germany where you need to provide goring with enough food and loot to distract him long enough before he gets Ideas On Things and throws away all your planes in a way that also lets an entire army escape.

Every time the German player tries to withdraw their forces from blatantly obvious encirclement attempts, they should be prevented from doing so because Goering shows up and promises that he can supply them from the air saying "Don't worry, it will totally work this time!"

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

"Can you make Vöring so fat he dies?" "No."

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Hitler was the true MVP of the war. Top goal scorer, they were just mostly own goals.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

DurosKlav posted:

Hitler was the true MVP of the war. Top goal scorer, they were just mostly own goals.

You gotta give the guy credit, he did kill hitler after all.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

really queer Christmas posted:

You gotta give the guy credit, he did kill hitler after all.

On the other hand, he killed the guy who killed Hitler, so that's bad.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since I've done a historical democratic US run and here are some of my observations:

Japan's war in China seems to be pretty historical, even without the US sending any support whatsoever. - Good.
Japan ended up declaring war on the US in May of '41, which is a little early, but still fine. What wasn't fine was how I manged to completely blunt their pacific campaign in less than a month. Without doing anything crazy or trying any hyper-optimized builds, I just had a very basic CV / CA / CL / DD setup and ended up sinking 7 carriers off the coast of the Philippines within a couple weeks of the war starting. Two months in and the IJN is down to 22 ships in total. - Not great
I've got Marines landing unopposed in Iwo Jima and now have total free reign of the Pacific and could easily start amphibious invasions of Japan if I wanted.
On the plus side, Japan did a decent job of countering my limited sub operations before I completely shattered their fleet with my carrier task forces.

In Europe I don't have a whole lot to say about Germany, it did the typical HoI4 route of Poland -> Low Countries -> France -> Norway, which is fine. I totally understand how forcing the AI to do a sitzkrieg for several months wouldn't lend itself to good gameplay. Their progress against the Soviets doesn't seem to be terrifying, I suspect with some lend-leasing and opening of other fronts, the Soviets will stabilize.

As for Italy though, holy poo poo does it kick the hell out of the British. Italy seems to push through North Africa way too easily and I suspect it's because of the ridiculous amount of forces in Ethiopia, which leads to a stupid amount of British and Italian forces slugging it out in Central Africa. This is one case where I might say forcing the AI Italy to not garrison Ethiopia might lead to better gameplay over all. Then Britain would probably be able to focus on North Africa better. Also it doesn't help that Syria seems to always go to Vichy France. Maybe there needs to be a small event that causes it to flip to Free France or something. That would probably help the Allies in North Africa a bit. As of now it always seems that Italy is always capable of taking Cairo and crossing the Suez, that shouldn't be the default outcome, Britain should be far better at holding those territories.

Long story short: Germany's performance seems pretty ok. Japan's performance seems mostly ok, especially when it's against an AI USA, but it feels like it's way too easy to break the IJN in a couple decisive battles. Maybe AI Japan needs to have its fleets set to "engage at low risk" or something to get them to preserve their navy more. Italy is stupidly overpowered and is not only fielding way more forces than it should, but is also routinely taking an enormous beating when it shouldn't. IRL Italy was mostly blunted after losing a little over 300k military personnel. I know this is probably too restrictive for gameplay purposes, but they shouldn't be on the same level as Germany or the Soviet union when it comes to taking casualties and still fighting. Germany and the Soviets lost in the neighborhood of 10 million and kept fighting to the bitter end, Italy shouldn't be on that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The US was so not interested in WWII preparedness, relative to what could have been done, that any decent player can easily out-perform the actual war.