Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress we are getting division commanders

This looks really cool. It seems much better than spending mana to make new generals appear.

I also absolutely love the addition of division histories. I think it was something I had asked for ages ago. Now you will be able to click on a division and see that they were 1st into Paris, or whatever. That's super cool.

We also have more control over how the battleplanner distributes units across fronts. This all looks super good.

One thing I hope they did is adjust how units gain EXP. I've found that in vanilla HoI4, even with maxed-out hospitals, units barely get any EXP even if they've been fighting for years. You almost never see any crack units appear naturally outside of weird situations like the spanish civil war and the modifiers which mean units can endlessly grind without taking losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Unit histories and medals is such a cool idea

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's pretty much the perfect way to do it, too.

I suspected this was coming, but I was afraid you'd have to micromanage every division commander like you did in Hearts of Iron 3. Instead, the bonuses are small enough and the cost of giving a medal is high enough that you're not going to interact with the system until you've got your government pretty well filled out. After all, 10% more breakthrough on a single division for 30 political power is a poor investment, 10% more attack on every infantry division for 100 political power, or 10% more agility on every fighter plane for 150.

It'll be cool if they take the opportunity to demote some of the ahistorical field marshals and generals, like "Field Marshal" Montgomery who was actually not commanding anything in 1936, and only commanded a brigade in 1937. This might require some new leaders, as well as perhaps a retirement date or level cap for initial leaders, so you'd have a reason to not just pick your best starting field marshal and use them for the entire war.

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 10, 2022

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gort posted:

It'll be cool if they take the opportunity to demote some of the ahistorical field marshals and generals, like "Field Marshal" Montgomery who was actually not commanding anything in 1936, and only commanded a brigade in 1937. This might require some new leaders, as well as perhaps a retirement date or level cap for initial leaders, so you'd have a reason to not just pick your best starting field marshal and use them for the entire war.

That would require demoting Rommel, Hausser, and I'm sure many more I don't know off the top of my head down to division commander, and while they're at it, possibly getting rid of literal child ace Hartmann while they're at it. I doubt it'll happen, since they'd need to create art assets for whoever replaces the demoted generals, or I guess just tell the player to accept that you'll have a whole lot less generals to start with.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I went looking for the actual list of British Field Marshals in 1936, and found out that Emperor Hirohito was a British Field Marshal.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

pour one out for all the modders who need to make dozens, if not possibly hundreds of new portraits and thousands of possible names for the total overhaul mods

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Agean90 posted:

pour one out for all the modders who need to make dozens, if not possibly hundreds of new portraits and thousands of possible names for the total overhaul mods

I stopped modding HoI4 when I needed to make all the advisors and tech teams into characters lol

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Agean90 posted:

Well, it shouldn't be that bad. You already have generic portraits for generals, and you already have a name generator list for generals as well. It'll just have to be applied to a lot more characters now. So expect a whole lot of Alex Jones.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually pretty stoked at the idea of being able to issue Victoria crosses, or Presidential Unit Citations/Medals of Honor or whatever to divisions. It will add to the storytelling aspect of the game, where you will pay more attention to specific divisions and be more invested in their battles and where they have been. I can tell that the 1st award to any tank division is going to be the Knight's Cross with Oak leaves for that sweet supply and logistics buff.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
This new update looking ballller.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

https://youtu.be/U_FsONdXqjQ

Never knew about this auto-update feature. Seems kinda broken

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to make SO MANY GODDAMN PLANES. gently caress.

I've been tossing around plane / tank builds that would fit Ethopia's industrial situation and I think a fighter-bomber build will go a long way for them. Make something like a cheap Typhoon/P-47/Fw-190 and only build that. Nothing else. It won't be optimal in terms of stats, but it should cover all the bases and be feasible enough to mass-produce and have available on all fronts.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Does it matter at all if you put a thousand planes into the same squadron or is it better to divide them up into ten 100-plane stacks?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Grimson posted:

Does it matter at all if you put a thousand planes into the same squadron or is it better to divide them up into ten 100-plane stacks?

At the moment, yes. But that's going away in the next patch.

Right now making squadrons of 1000 bombers will do more damage in single battles than 10 stacks of 100 because of the way combat width works for planes.

So if you care about how it works right now:

wide fronts with lots of small battles (russia) = use 100-size wings
narrow fronts with a few large battles (like the netherlands) use 1000- size wings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p-in7Pw994

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 11, 2022

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Enjoy posted:

I stopped modding HoI4 when I needed to make all the advisors and tech teams into characters lol

In the post-mortem for NSB I mentioned that the experience of working with the character system had shifted my priorities in case I gained access to a time machine from "kill Hitler/tell high-school crush how I feel" to "prevent character system from being made". Another CD just wrote "BAD IDEA" on a post-it and put it under "Character System".

It is a good and valuable system to have but boy was it a bad idea to do that after we had already done 5 years of work on characters

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am happy that heavy fighters now have a really good purpose than simple interceptor roles.

Heavy fighters that can CAS will really change the air game and provide some real variation in air force composition.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm glad my air plan is simple to read and understand.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

TheMcD posted:

Well, it shouldn't be that bad. You already have generic portraits for generals, and you already have a name generator list for generals as well. It'll just have to be applied to a lot more characters now. So expect a whole lot of Alex Jones.

As an EaW dev let me tell you, utterly hyped for the division commander system.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Iymarra posted:

As an EaW dev let me tell you, utterly hyped for the division commander system.

Considering how long it took to port EaW to the new character system I'm surprised you aren't dreading it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
since game and mod devs post here, anyone know ai scripting well enough to know if these

code:
weak_point_stack = {
	ai_strategy = {
		type = front_unit_request
		state = any
		ratio = 1.1
		value = 9999
	}
}

weak_point_attack = {
	ai_strategy = {
		type = front_control
		state = any
		ratio = 2.0 
		priority = 10000
		ordertype = front 
		execution_type = rush
		execute_order = yes
	}
}
will actually get the AI to concentrate its forces in states where it has an advantage until it hits the 2x ratio and then attack? i cut out the enable/abort sections to save space posting it here

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Raskolnikov38 posted:

since game and mod devs post here, anyone know ai scripting well enough to know if these

code:
weak_point_stack = {
	ai_strategy = {
		type = front_unit_request
		state = any
		ratio = 1.1
		value = 9999
	}
}

weak_point_attack = {
	ai_strategy = {
		type = front_control
		state = any
		ratio = 2.0 
		priority = 10000
		ordertype = front 
		execution_type = rush
		execute_order = yes
	}
}
will actually get the AI to concentrate its forces in states where it has an advantage until it hits the 2x ratio and then attack? i cut out the enable/abort sections to save space posting it here

seems like a good case for obsessive hours and hours of watching in Observe

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N76P4h8jiow

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

rl talk you might try the hoi4 mod coop discord

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I am fairly certain that any is not considered a valid strategic region or state parameter, it doesn't match any of the other syntax we use for these kinds of things. The AI script is largely cobbled together by people to solve one specific issue at a time (like getting the AI to invade a list of places around a specific time), not be general commands. Stuff like what you want to do are generally handled in code on the backend.

I'm not gonna claim that we are all geniuses here who always see the right solution at all times on the first glance, but I would assume that if getting the AI to concentrate and attack was this simple, we would already have done it.

I'll double check with code on Monday though. If state = any doesn't work but does not throw errors, that's a problem that needs to be fixed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

It definitely doesn’t throw errors but yeah the syntax not matching is why I asked lol. oh well guess list of states it is then. Was really hoping the solution was that simple

E: actually my original idea was a script to check enemy strength/divisions in a state but decided to try = any after a couple of hours and wanted to slam my head into the desk when it didn’t throw an error lol

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 13, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
For the love of God, I wish they would fix the AI overcrowding airbases to the point that all my missions fail with zero efficiency. Playing USSR last night I suddenly started getting nuked on my home territories because my defensive air superiority missions started failing because there were suddenly 3500 airplanes on an airfield meant to support 1600 planes. I didn't notice until the bombs started dropping. I wish we could ban allies from using player airfields.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cimber posted:

For the love of God, I wish they would fix the AI overcrowding airbases to the point that all my missions fail with zero efficiency. Playing USSR last night I suddenly started getting nuked on my home territories because my defensive air superiority missions started failing because there were suddenly 3500 airplanes on an airfield meant to support 1600 planes. I didn't notice until the bombs started dropping. I wish we could ban allies from using player airfields.

You can kinda. If you ban your ally from using your supply hub near the airbase, their planes will be out of supply and they will be removed.

Yor Fizzlebeef
Nov 7, 2010

Can you feel it?
I've been playing around with the Man the Guns expansion and have been running into a certain quality of life problem. When you want to upgrade multiple ships at the same time with new equipment the game seems to always place those ship at the bottom of the ship production queue. Is there no way to automatically put them at the top of the queue instead? I usually want to minimize the time those ships stay at the dockyard and it's quite tedious to manually drag them to the top, one at a time.

Yor Fizzlebeef fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 13, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cimber posted:

Given how extreme the penalties for overcrowding an airbase are, they should just prevent overcrowding entirely. I'd sooner be told "No room for planes here, find somewhere else" than "Plenty of room for planes here" then the AI crowds the airfield so your planes do nothing.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Is there a really good concise supply tutorial around anywhere? I've played a few games since No Step Back and I've got the gist of the interface, and how upgrading / building / motorizing supply bases work, but I'm still terrible at estimating how many divisions I can put in an area, and once my troops take one step beyond my borders, it always just turns into a disaster. I actually don't know if I've ever not had armies in low supply since that update. I played an entire USSR campaign, beat Germany, and got the no step back achievement and from January 1 1936 on my armies were always in low or very low supply. At one point pre-war I put like a hundred infantry divisions in area defense mode over a stretch of land that required 300 divisions to cover effectively just to keep them out of the way and the AI still put divisions in very low supply provinces where they started taking attrition.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Area defense mode is almost useless. I only use it to automatically garrison ports, and even then I cancel the order once the divisions are in place and manually reposition them.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's ok to park your troops with so they don't die to bad supply by having 40 divisions in one province.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Gort posted:

Given how extreme the penalties for overcrowding an airbase are, they should just prevent overcrowding entirely. I'd sooner be told "No room for planes here, find somewhere else" than "Plenty of room for planes here" then the AI crowds the airfield so your planes do nothing.

Then you might run into the problem where the AI has moved all their useless 1936 fighters into an airport you want to use and can't, with no way of getting rid of them.

Edit: Thats the other thing that really annoys me about the game AI is they don't really upgrade their poo poo. Why do they keep 10 year old obsolete airframes in their stockpiles and not convert them to more modern equipment? Same with tanks, guns and everything else. I hate taking over a country and having tons of ancient poo poo cluttering up my logistics page.

Oh, and if you are not using the logistics page you really need to, its super handy.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 14, 2022

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Cimber posted:

Then you might run into the problem where the AI has moved all their useless 1936 fighters into an airport you want to use and can't, with no way of getting rid of them.

Edit: Thats the other thing that really annoys me about the game AI is they don't really upgrade their poo poo. Why do they keep 10 year old obsolete airframes in their stockpiles and not convert them to more modern equipment? Same with tanks, guns and everything else. I hate taking over a country and having tons of ancient poo poo cluttering up my logistics page.

Oh, and if you are not using the logistics page you really need to, its super handy.

I thought you couldn't upgrade obsolete aircraft in the vanilla game? I know i absolutely love it in KR though, that you just need more aluminium and IC to make older gen fighters etc into modern ones

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nuclear War posted:

I thought you couldn't upgrade obsolete aircraft in the vanilla game? I know i absolutely love it in KR though, that you just need more aluminium and IC to make older gen fighters etc into modern ones

Oh really? Maybe the AI isn't programmed for that then. I have not played Vanilla in ages, only been playing Road to '56 and MD. Still, even in vanilla the AI should give priority to modern airframes and not just spam all airfields with everything in their stockpile. I guess they might be programmed to put 'back line' airfields stocked with the useless crap

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

How is Road to '56? I've kinda accomplished everything I wanted to in Kaiserreich and vanilla.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Moon Slayer posted:

How is Road to '56? I've kinda accomplished everything I wanted to in Kaiserreich and vanilla.

It’s very kitchen sink. It’s not bad as a vanilla plus mod but because every nation has its own expanded focus tree, none of them are really balanced around each other, and if you take off historical focuses things will get weird fast.

I like it when I want to play a vanilla plus game with a goal of total world domination/conquest because of the expanded tech tree and focus trees.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cantorsdust posted:

It’s very kitchen sink. It’s not bad as a vanilla plus mod but because every nation has its own expanded focus tree, none of them are really balanced around each other, and if you take off historical focuses things will get weird fast.

I like it when I want to play a vanilla plus game with a goal of total world domination/conquest because of the expanded tech tree and focus trees.

Historical focus post ww2 was was pretty interesting. I was playing the USSR and had puppeted Poland, east Germany, Yugoslavia and the rest of the traditional Warsaw Pact. US formed NATO and rest of the group piled on.

Soon the war was divided into the Soviets and NATO, with a few neutrals each side was fighting over. THings got really interesting when I sparked a communist revolution in India using my spies.

Then for some reason Portugal, which had turned communist without me noticing it, declared war on me. Well, that was _great_, because I took them over and captured their islands in the middle of the Atlantic. Foritified the poo poo out of them, set up level 10 air bases and loaded them up with tactical jet bombers.

By 1955 or so I had tons of long range jet bombers, Mig 19s and other advanced weaponry. We went to war and within a month I had overran western germany, was pushing into france and Italy, and had sunk about 90 percent of the UK's navy from my bases in the mid atlantic.

Then I accidentally updated steam and the mod changed a bit, suddenly my game started crashing so I chalked that up as a win and have tried KR which is...ok. Millenium Dawn seems pretty cool, I'm starting a game as China.

{edit} it was also around this time that the AI filled my airbases inside russia with tons of 1930's level aircraft that made all my home air defence missions turn to poo poo, and i got hit by a few nuke strikes.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I have been beating my head against this dumb game for about 3 weeks now and it's driving me mad.

I hadn't touched HOI4 in years as I fell behind on the expansion treadmill, but recently I felt a bit of an itch for it and saw that you could play with all expansions for a monthly fee. As I tend to burn out of games and then put them down for a year or more I thought buying a month of subscription was a good deal - one month of play would be plenty.

I had a fun game as Hapsburg Poland then went looking for a bit more of a challenge - decided on Greece, chasing the achievement for restoring Byzantium and puppeting Italy, Romania, and Russia. It's a Paradox game, you gotta restore Byzantium if you can, those are the rules.

I have had 34 attempts now at this poo poo. My most recent one is an absolute heartbreak. I made it to 1945 by sneaking into the Allies (Britain went fascist) and helping them win all their wars, grabbing territory along the way. Only in every peace deal Britain's obsessive craving for strat bombing gave them massive warscore. They went on a world tour puppeting almost every nation on earth. By 1945 the only free states left were me, Italy, France, and the UK, all in the Allies (and the odd backwater like Saudi). Everyone else was a puppet - I managed to grab the USA but Britain got everything else.

"Not to worry", I thought, "It's just the AI. I'll blaze through all these European puppet states, quickly paradrop or force landing into the UK, seize London, and rule the world". So I leave the Allies and attack.

But Jesus Christ they've got so many planes! And so many troops! And there are so many mountains in Europe! I'm barely making progress and bleeding out on every front. Planes are the worst, they just move like locusts from air zone to air zone with their zillion fighters and I can't keep up. My army's holding for now but we've no momentum and I can't see how to break out of the balkans. I'm at war with practically the entire world, my first nukes have come off the line but I've no idea what to fire them at.

I don't want to give up as my diseased mind will make me start from the beginning AGAIN but I can't see how to break out either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
What happened to Soviet manpower?

With NSB I had two million in the field and maybe 1.5 million in reserve when Germany attacked. It used to be you could get up to like 8 million with 5 million in the field so what am I missing?