Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

buglord posted:

How much does hardness matter in division design? I'm reading a steam guide on divison composition and its emphasizing a good balance between organization and hardness. While I can stack up organization, width, and soft damage easily, getting hard is difficult :v:. Especially when the solution is expensive :v: :v:

I just realized mechanized infantry is just as expensive as light-medium tanks. So I'm not really sure which direction is best if I don't want my armies to be 100% meatbags.

You can a single battalion of an armoured vehicle, light medium or heavy, SP-ART, -AA or -TD.
Light SP-Art is cheap to begin with, and can be switched later to medium, which also conveniently go in your armoured division.
Heavy SP TD gives the most bang, but is a tad experience and requires an additional research path not many choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
On the base game it is kind of annoying how bad the AI is for the Soviet Union. Tried to do Communist States of America a few times, and not only do I have to carry them against Axis, but they invariably go into war against the allies within a year of the end of ww2, while also turning off their own exports, making it impossible to get chromium.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

joepinetree posted:

On the base game it is kind of annoying how bad the AI is for the Soviet Union. Tried to do Communist States of America a few times, and not only do I have to carry them against Axis, but they invariably go into war against the allies within a year of the end of ww2, while also turning off their own exports, making it impossible to get chromium.

In my Italy game, Germany also switched off their exports after we took the USSR down. I have all the oil and rubber in the world, but lacking some 300 steel, while Germany is swimming in it.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

OperaMouse posted:

In my Italy game, Germany also switched off their exports after we took the USSR down. I have all the oil and rubber in the world, but lacking some 300 steel, while Germany is swimming in it.

The AI really likes to move to Closed Economy for some reason, whether or not they actually need to save the resources.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

buglord posted:

How much does hardness matter in division design? I'm reading a steam guide on divison composition and its emphasizing a good balance between organization and hardness.

Because high organization is provided by some flavor of infantry you can't really stack hardness sufficiently for it to matter until you get good mechanized.
Adding armored units with unarmored works well mostly because it gives armor, not because it gives hardness, when opponent's pierce stat is insufficient to overcome your armor it gives your units a big bonus.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Enjoy posted:

Are these fair summaries

i'm assuming we're excepting the bits about napoleon emerging triumphant from the napoleonic wars? in that case they're fair broad sketches of what each one proposed. clausewitz was of course the correct one

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Hey, here's a thing we haven't seen in a while: an update.

It's just a beta patch with some minor tweaks but who knows, maybe it will fix some annoying bug or AI behaviour that has been bothering you. Today's dev diary (that isn't out yet) will apparently be all about this beta patch and expand upon what it fixes in case the notes weren't clear enough to begin with I guess.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Axis AI avoiding the Channel might make an enormous difference to how well they do in the war in general.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

More importantly, new leader portraits.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The new dev diary has also subsequently been posted and it does indeed cover the beta patch. Apparently there are some other additions but I've not done a compairison on my tiny, tiny phone screen.

The only sea zones specifically mentioned are the Channel and Mediterranean but I'm going to hope there are others unlisted, such as the orgy of TPs the Pacific turns into. Really I just wish they had a way for the player and AI to flag things 'off limits' so people stop charging to their deaths like lemmings.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Funky Valentine posted:

More importantly, new leader portraits.

So when's Alf Landon not gonna be a generic, yeah I know nobody picks him, but still.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Playstation 4 posted:

So when's Alf Landon not gonna be a generic, yeah I know nobody picks him, but still.

It's on the low prio art request list. Current ETA is the day before hoI 5 releases

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

joepinetree posted:

That has not been my experience at all. It has been a long while since I've seen Germany do anything but poo poo the bed against the Russian onslaught. I've had a few Death or Dishonor achievement games flop entirely due to Stalin 360 windmill turbo dunking on Hitler.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, most of the Axis is really, really aggressive and I haven't seen the Germans beat the Soviets in a good long while. The Japanese can now reliably beat the Chinese but Germany still routinely tries to invade everyone in Europe at the same time and gets clobbered.

Until Paradox is able to accurately model how mind numbingly useless and stubborn Allied commanders were at the beginning of the war I'm probably going to have to keep giving the Axis majors a boost via the sliders when setting up the game. That way I still end up having someone to actually fight by 1941.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Have you guys played the game since the latest patch? Avoiding the channel should do a lot for them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gort posted:

Have you guys played the game since the latest patch? Avoiding the channel should do a lot for them.

Yep, in early 1942 on my second game since the patch came out.

Can't tell with the Channel but the Mediterranean seems to be about as busy as ever.

Really not a decent sample size but in both games Germany and Italy still struggled a bit, Italy having been forced out of Africa in both games by mid '41 but I quit the first game shortly there after. Both Germany and Italy had difficulty dealing with contential Europe and Germany was on the verge if falling to Poland and France had lost virtually no territory. Not much of a challenge.

Second time around I've gone back to buffing them and they've done better. Poland and France have both capitulated but the Axis couldn't completely force the Allies out and they used a small remaining holdout near Amsterdam to flood troops in. The Germans have managed to push them back though. In the meantime the Soviets declared on Germany and the Allies are doing their million little landings thing but the Axis are holding their own. Japan is slowly eating Russia from the rear end up, too. They can't make progress through Bangladesh though.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 18, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Two questions:

1: Can i get rid of these lovely planes that litter my air deployment interface somehow? Seriously this thing needs a loving overhaul like theres no tomorrow. I tried giving them to a puppet, but it didn't work for some reason. Suppose i can suicide them if there isn't a better way to do it.
2: Is there a mod that removes the "OH NO THE ENEMY HAS AIR SUPERIORITY SOMEWHERE! SOMEWHERE INSIGNIFICANT I THINK! YES ENGLAND HAS 15 FIGHTERS OVER ICELAND!" *VRRROOOOMMMM* *VROOOOOOOOOOOM* *VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 19, 2017

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Dongattack posted:

Two questions:

1: Can i get rid of these lovely planes that litter my air deployment interface somehow? Seriously this thing needs a loving overhaul like theres no tomorrow. I tried giving them to a puppet, but it didn't work for some reason. Suppose i can suicide them if there isn't a better way to do it.
2: Is there a mod that removes the "OH NO THE ENEMY HAS AIR SUPERIORITY SOMEWHERE! SOMEWHERE INSIGNIFICANT I THINK! YES ENGLAND HAS 15 FIGHTERS OVER ICELAND!" *VRRROOOOMMMM* *VROOOOOOOOOOOM* *VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

For 1, not that I've found. You can't even get the drat things killed because the air wing will replace all the planes you want rid of with your good variants.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ro5s posted:

For 1, not that I've found. You can't even get the drat things killed because the air wing will replace all the planes you want rid of with your good variants.

You can set air wings to only use certain variants, iirc.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Do those events generated when you're justifying war actually affect anything, or is it just flavour?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Do those events generated when you're justifying war actually affect anything, or is it just flavour?

The latter

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Does anyone have suggestions for how to win an Axis-Entente war in 1938? While I find I can pretty much sit on my borders and hold the line, it seems like my allies get their poo poo pushed in.

I'm honestly wondering if in those times where the Czechs don't join I should just let them get screwed and prepare for 1939 instead.

Should I just disband all of colonial forces entirely? I kind of don't want to lost Algeria, but it'd make preparations much easier. Does drilling impact planning at all?

Is it worth drilling to get extra army XP? I think I can get enough to retrofit my mountaineers with everything that people have previously outlined earlier in the thread.

Also, it is worth holding off on training units until I've got the template to where I want it or should I just get them in the field and worry about the XP loss later?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Yvonmukluk posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for how to win an Axis-Entente war in 1938? While I find I can pretty much sit on my borders and hold the line, it seems like my allies get their poo poo pushed in.

I'm honestly wondering if in those times where the Czechs don't join I should just let them get screwed and prepare for 1939 instead.

Should I just disband all of colonial forces entirely? I kind of don't want to lost Algeria, but it'd make preparations much easier. Does drilling impact planning at all?

Is it worth drilling to get extra army XP? I think I can get enough to retrofit my mountaineers with everything that people have previously outlined earlier in the thread.

Also, it is worth holding off on training units until I've got the template to where I want it or should I just get them in the field and worry about the XP loss later?

Build military factories and nothing else, you don't have the time to get fancy. Either disband your colonial units for the equipment/manpower or recall them to the metropole and give them not-poo poo templates, it doesn't matter if you hold Algeria and Vietnam if the Germans are parading through Paris. Focus on getting rid of your Disjointed Government and Victors of the Great War spirits, then drag people into the Entente, then do the factory focuses if you have time left. Get all the way up the Grand Battleplan tree and you can get a silly amount of planning (though it'll take a long time to max it out, even with signal companies). Convert your fast divisions to Division Legere Mecanique templates, get enough of those to smash through the German lines and take the Rhineland, and take German territory one bite at a time. Build plenty of fighters and CAS to support your ground forces. Don't launch another stage of the offensive until you've maxed out the planning bonus, you don't have the materiel to waste. Hope like hell the Czechs can hold the line for a while (they probably won't). Keep a couple dozen mountaineer divisions on the Italian border in case they get cheeky (they probably will). Quietly ignore Nationalist Spain since the Germans can't ally them until you capitulate or it's 1942.

Or you could extend the Maginot line and sit tight until the Germans bleed themselves to death/do something stupid like declare war on the Soviets while they're still fighting you, I suppose.

If you go to war over the Munich Agreement, the Czechs will join your faction if they refused before.

It's worth drilling to get your troops up to Regular however many XP you have, and if you need more XP for templates before the war, go for it.

I just get units in the field pronto, partly because you can only train 1/4 (I think?) as many men as you have in the field at once and partly because I'm impatient.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Friend Commuter posted:

Build military factories and nothing else, you don't have the time to get fancy. Either disband your colonial units for the equipment/manpower or recall them to the metropole and give them not-poo poo templates, it doesn't matter if you hold Algeria and Vietnam if the Germans are parading through Paris. Focus on getting rid of your Disjointed Government and Victors of the Great War spirits, then drag people into the Entente, then do the factory focuses if you have time left. Get all the way up the Grand Battleplan tree and you can get a silly amount of planning (though it'll take a long time to max it out, even with signal companies). Convert your fast divisions to Division Legere Mecanique templates, get enough of those to smash through the German lines and take the Rhineland, and take German territory one bite at a time. Build plenty of fighters and CAS to support your ground forces. Don't launch another stage of the offensive until you've maxed out the planning bonus, you don't have the materiel to waste. Hope like hell the Czechs can hold the line for a while (they probably won't). Keep a couple dozen mountaineer divisions on the Italian border in case they get cheeky (they probably will). Quietly ignore Nationalist Spain since the Germans can't ally them until you capitulate or it's 1942.

Or you could extend the Maginot line and sit tight until the Germans bleed themselves to death/do something stupid like declare war on the Soviets while they're still fighting you, I suppose.

If you go to war over the Munich Agreement, the Czechs will join your faction if they refused before.

It's worth drilling to get your troops up to Regular however many XP you have, and if you need more XP for templates before the war, go for it.

I just get units in the field pronto, partly because you can only train 1/4 (I think?) as many men as you have in the field at once and partly because I'm impatient.
I never seem to have enough of anything even when I just build all military factories, that's the problem.

I think I have the right order for Focii down, so there is that.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Yvonmukluk posted:

I never seem to have enough of anything even when I just build all military factories, that's the problem.

I think I have the right order for Focii down, so there is that.

Yeah, it's a tricky one, and I generally have to restart a few times when I try it (and I haven't tried it in a patch or two so my advice might be horribly out of date).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Gort posted:

The latter

I wish I could just disable that poo poo so it didn't pause my game every time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Edit: Turns out I'm just a complete dumbass.

Okay new question, what should I do with stocks of outdated equipment? Say, all these light tanks I replaced with mediums. Lend lease them out? Add them to, I dunno, other division templates that aren't quite at combat width to bulk them up until I'm out of spares?

Arrath fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 20, 2017

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there any way to tell armies not to use naval transport? My occupation army units keep venturing out into the channel fon sailing trips across the continent and get blown up and I'm wondering what the gently caress is the AI doing.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Arrath posted:

Okay new question, what should I do with stocks of outdated equipment? Say, all these light tanks I replaced with mediums. Lend lease them out? Add them to, I dunno, other division templates that aren't quite at combat width to bulk them up until I'm out of spares?

you can do that, especially if you're sitting on 3000 light tanks.

leasing them to allies is...iffy. I'm sure the AI will need them but it's always the question of if they will do something more productive than you could

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Arrath posted:

Stick them in infantry divisions to toughen them up, or convert them to light SP arty if you have Death or Dishonor, or lend-lease 'em, or just hang onto them on the offchance you desperately need some garbage dinky tanks.

lollontee posted:

Is there any way to tell armies not to use naval transport? My occupation army units keep venturing out into the channel fon sailing trips across the continent and get blown up and I'm wondering what the gently caress is the AI doing.

I loving wish.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Stick them in infantry divisions to toughen them up, or convert them to light SP arty if you have Death or Dishonor, or lend-lease 'em, or just hang onto them on the offchance you desperately need some garbage dinky tanks.

So yeah stick them into my handful of remaining cav divisions to make them halfway worthwhile, easy!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

lollontee posted:

No, but using shorter frontlines might help by preventing units from being shuffled that far.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

No, but using shorter frontlines might help by preventing units from being shuffled that far.

Problem I guess is that I just lumped all my military police suppression divisions into a single army and just told them to oppress the poo poo out of europe

incidentally:

:histdowns: :histdowns:

lollontee fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 21, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Arrath posted:

You shouldn't replace your light tanks with mediums in this fashion. The best thing to do is switch your factories from light to medium tank production (having duplicated the template for the light tank division and swapped the light tanks for mediums), and train up all-new medium tank divisions. Combat and attrition will see your light tank stocks deplete over time. Once you have no light tanks for reinforcements, disband one light tank division. Eventually you'll end up with just one light tank division remaining with not enough light tanks to reinforce it, and you can then disband it and lend-lease out the remaining 200-or-so crap tanks to your allies.

Much more efficient than handing them to an ally who'll probably lose them at sea or have them do doughnuts in the Alps until attrition claims them all.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

1.4.2 has been released: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-oak-1-4-2-hotfix-checksum-a48d.1040515/

Few misc fixes, but what truly broke my heart was:

- Reenabled Vichy France cosmetic tag in a cynical move to squeeze out a tiny bit of profit

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

quote:

#- New icons for French infantry weapons (prime condition, only dropped once)

:catstare:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Yeah, what were they thinking? That should be for Italian infantry weapons.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Yeah, that's in pretty bad taste, made even worse by coming from a Swede. At least the French fought.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, that's in pretty bad taste, made even worse by coming from a Swede. At least the French fought.

I like to think HOI players know a bit more history than the average games, so I'm sure pdox knows they can make that jab without creating too much of a rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

An excuse to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr4MdqXbk7c