Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
A division's organisation number comes from the average organisation of the battalions that go into it. This means a division of one battalion of infantry has as much organisation as a division of twenty battalions of infantry, so if you want maximum organisation to tie up enemy divisions in combat so your CAS can bomb them to bits, you go for the smallest divisions that don't just immediately collapse under attack - width 10 being something of a sweet spot between being small and being large enough to not just immediately lose, and also large enough that they reinforce in reasonable time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

spectralent posted:

If you're doing 10w infantry you're either using CAS spam for free kills or body-blocking and I can't see why I'd want to make the divisions more expensive in either scenario there.

Won't engineers be helpful for the latter?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

OddObserver posted:

Engineers are pretty much always helpful on any division, but when we're talking "Oh God I'm Communist China and I have a frontline two billion miles long and three military factories" then they're too expensive. Even for more industrialised countries, putting engineers on a military made of 10-width divisions is four times as expensive as putting engineers on a military made of 40-width divisions.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

OddObserver posted:

As gort says, if you're making 10w infantry instead of 40w infantry for the purposes of getting men onto the field, you're not in a position to making them as defensive as possible. You're making units that're cheap and plentiful where there's always more men to feed into the meatgrinder to hold a province.

If 10w infantry is actually your plan, you're playing for CAS spam, where you want as many units as possible with the best reinforce rate possible so that you have dozens of losing fights that never end, because if your fights don't end, then CAS is always hitting the enemy. This is a side effect of the fact CAS can't hit divisions out of combat, but if you have the CAS you can do absurd amounts of equipment damage. Within a few months you'll be able to roll over the enemy because they'll be at 10% strength and your CAS will be searching for .303 depots to bomb.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Considering that you're now restricted to 140 divisions under your good field marshal now I wonder: would it make sense to just use max width divisions in order to maximize the amount of combat power you can apply those bonuses to? There's probably something about combat reinforcement that makes this less optimal but looking at my current army setup I feel like concentrating my power under the good officers might actually improve my overall strength.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

40 width divisions cover half as much area as the same amount battalions worth of 20 width divisions is the most significant drawback to switching entirely to 40 width.

Unless your war is concentrated in very tight fronts you will still get a lot of mileage out of having spare divisions even just to guard ports, set up fallback lines, or in reserve. You never want all your divisions tied up on the front lines at a time if it can be avoided

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

40 width divisions cover half as much area as the same amount battalions worth of 20 width divisions is the most significant drawback to switching entirely to 40 width.

Unless your war is concentrated in very tight fronts you will still get a lot of mileage out of having spare divisions even just to guard ports, set up fallback lines, or in reserve. You never want all your divisions tied up on the front lines at a time if it can be avoided

Well this is from the perspective of someone playing as China. I can have as many divisions as I want. At this point I literally have 150 divisions hanging out in beijing just because I can't think of anything to do with them and don't want to have to organize them into armies.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah, playing Nationalist China really hammers that in. You have to have an entire army uselessly faffing about on your coastline for most of the war. You can’t use them elsewhere or the whole country is lost in short order. Putting some fallback lines on your forts (if you build them) never hurts either, nor does having some extra muscle waiting behind the next river in case Japan breaks through up north or on the coast. The big issue is that you barely have enough time to scrape together a skeleton of what you need before war breaks out, and you fight with both hands tied behind your back while blindfolded.

I haven’t really found a surefire win with China in Wanking the Tiger yet. There’s so many ways you can go with appointments, decisions, tech and national focuses and so little time, that it makes any choice a huge commitment. I’m not great at the game though.

E:build some cavalry. It’s the best hope you have at encircling dirty imperialists and doing significant damage to them for a long while.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 21, 2018

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

My current France game might be broken. Took the "gently caress off Adolph" decision on the re-militarization of the Rhineland and Hitler has done fuckall since

Also, Spanish civil war is a stalemate it seems.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kilonum posted:

My current France game might be broken. Took the "gently caress off Adolph" decision on the re-militarization of the Rhineland and Hitler has done fuckall since

How long ago did he try to Remilitarize the Rhineland? If Germany backs down then they get a national idea that prevents them from doing the Anschluss or any of their other political stuff for a year.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Well it is now 1942, Italy owns Greece, Poland is a Soviet puppet, and Hitler is still sitting on his hands.

Also, China just beat Japan and Korea is now independent.

Republican Spain won the civil war... as a Democracy.

The only war happening right now is Dutch East Indies/The Netherlands vs Japan and Siam.

I've also been boosting democracy in Austria and just guaranteed Czechoslovakia. The latter is still wholly intact. Romania had its civil war, which strangely ended in a white peace, with there now being 2 Romanias, The Kingdom (which is pretty much just Transylvania) and Legionary (Fascist).

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I went for Our Other Place in the Sun and Monarchy is Back in Fashion today, and man Imperial Germany has got to be up there for easiest nation. After the civil war, I was able to roll France and Britain without a ton of extra attention from the other powers and get the achievements early. Then I was free to knock over the US by roadtripping trucks across all that empty nothing in 1940, gobble Poland in 1941, turtle the Soviet Union and Romania until they had 0 manpower in 1942, and then finally push over the Pyrenes and topple Republican Spain in 1944.

I'm not sure if it happens all the time, but I got a Greater/Lesser Germany decision in 1938 or 1939 that let me eat up the unified Austria-Hungary, which gave me ~100 divisions, a bunch of factories, and two extra countries worth of manpower. And despite a lot of the monarchy decisions adding to World Tension (about 15% maybe?), no one really got mad or banded together against me aside from France and Britain. Only tricky part really was that Republican Spain became quite a bear by the time I was finished with the Soviet Union.

Post all that, still have so much enough of everything that there won't be any real challenges left.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm not sure if it happens all the time, but I got a Greater/Lesser Germany decision in 1938 or 1939 that let me eat up the unified Austria-Hungary.

Yeah, I've got this every time that I've done the oppose Hitler path and ended up in the same faction as Austria. On my Monarchy playthrough, they had all of Hungary, Austria, and Czechoslovakia when they joined me. It ruled.

Democratic Germany might be the easier because it's the closest you can get to just not having a war. The Sino-Japanese war played out without Western intervention and I led an alliance of every single European nation east of France to push the USSR back into Russia and force a government change. They probably didn't even need my help.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, playing Nationalist China really hammers that in. You have to have an entire army uselessly faffing about on your coastline for most of the war. You can’t use them elsewhere or the whole country is lost in short order. Putting some fallback lines on your forts (if you build them) never hurts either, nor does having some extra muscle waiting behind the next river in case Japan breaks through up north or on the coast. The big issue is that you barely have enough time to scrape together a skeleton of what you need before war breaks out, and you fight with both hands tied behind your back while blindfolded.

I haven’t really found a surefire win with China in Wanking the Tiger yet. There’s so many ways you can go with appointments, decisions, tech and national focuses and so little time, that it makes any choice a huge commitment. I’m not great at the game though.

E:build some cavalry. It’s the best hope you have at encircling dirty imperialists and doing significant damage to them for a long while.

The best thing to do is to leave a gap in the north just above the communists so that all of the IJA eagerly pushes into the gobi desert to capture vast swathes of infra 2 territory, haemmorage equipment, and then get encircled when their garrison in the inner mongolia corridor is running low on rifles.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

spectralent posted:

The best thing to do is to leave a gap in the north just above the communists so that all of the IJA eagerly pushes into the gobi desert to capture vast swathes of infra 2 territory, haemmorage equipment, and then get encircled when their garrison in the inner mongolia corridor is running low on rifles.

I consider that cheating at this point. Done it at least a dozen times before I even Wanked my first Tiger.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

I consider that cheating at this point. Done it at least a dozen times before I even Wanked my first Tiger.

Oh, no doubt, but it's very easy to win when they've got like 20 division and they're all on 30% equipment.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

From what I've tried so far, it's entirely possible to stop Japan from taking Beijing or any other territory for over a year of continual defense. Only build enough of the lovely divisions to garrison your coastline from Fujian to Shandong. Then, try to then churn out around 60 or so 6-INF divisions for the northern front line, and train them up to max before sending them onto the front line.

Positionally, I built level 3 forts in Beijing and the hill terrain to the west of Beijing, level 2 forts in Tianjin and the province between Tainjin and Beijing, and set up two dug-in armies with a reserve army on a fallback line just behind the front. I then cycled out <50% strength/org divisions to recuperate on the reserve lines and sent them to whatever front-line army needed fresh troops. When the war starts, I sent a smaller third army to a fallback line in northern Shanxi province, because SHX can't defend it on their own and you need to keep the line east of the Ordos Loop. After fortifying the north, I built coastal fortifications in Eastern China on every port and VP, and as a low-priority project built level 2-3 forts on the plains and VP provinces on the Yellow River as a fallback location.

If you're attentive enough the line will hold just fine, but Japan's new research will increase how quickly units need to be cycled in and out. By that time, my army was fully reformed, I was upgrading veteran units to larger divisions with artillery, and I was beginning to encircle the exhausted Japanese units in Inner Mongolia.

...and of course, because I took the Anti-Communism path the only participants were me and Shanxi and then Japan declared on Communist China for no goddamn reason and then the ChiComs joined the Comintern and the USSR started to give them Manchuria. NatChi going down the Anti-Communism path and the Xi'an Incident decision firing off really should occur in Historical Focuses mode consistently, since, you know, they actually happened. So, it's a proof of concept but not exactly a flawless Nationalist-only victory.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any mods that expand upon spying/causing unrest/changing party popularity of target countries? Maybe even extra puppeting opportunities?

Sometimes direct combat isn’t as desirable when WT is at 100% and you don’t feel like facing 3 majors and countless minors because you wanted to absorb Estonia.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

spectralent posted:

Yeah I did this by accident and it was suddenly really easy after they sent half their divisions to conquer some desert, connected by a three province wide snake

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

One weird trick to encircle the entire IJA! Emperor Hirohito HATES him!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It would be nice if the AI took supply and attrition into account at all when choosing where to attack or send dozens of divisions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

It would be nice if the AI took supply and attrition into account at all when choosing where to attack or send dozens of divisions.

Yeah... the calculations are definitely in the game (I've seen little exclamation marks pop up saying "There's not enough supply for this unit to advance" kind of things) but they also definitely don't really work.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There any up-to-date LP's/tutorials for this game? I read the stuff in the OP and ran an abortive game as USSR so I have an idea of how it all works, but it would be helpful to watch the play of someone good at the game.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

There any up-to-date LP's/tutorials for this game? I read the stuff in the OP and ran an abortive game as USSR so I have an idea of how it all works, but it would be helpful to watch the play of someone good at the game.

Marbozir and Quill18 both have current LPs on YouTube. Dunno about current tutorials.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Marbozir and Quill18 both have current LPs on YouTube. Dunno about current tutorials.

I don't follow either of them but after a quick check they're not horrible to listen to. Thanks!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I dunno if enjoy still posts, but apres moi has gotten way better at making an interesting war happen since last time I played. Kudos

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fuligin posted:

I dunno if enjoy still posts, but apres moi has gotten way better at making an interesting war happen since last time I played. Kudos

yeah, last time i played i finished the german civil war, got to chill and rebuild for about a year and a half then got balls deep in russia. drat good pacing tbh.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Agean90 posted:

yeah, last time i played i finished the german civil war, got to chill and rebuild for about a year and a half then got balls deep in russia. drat good pacing tbh.

In this campaign (as the us) france decided to intervene on behalf of westphalia, which triggered polands involvement and an uprising in france (which the fascist faction seized control of). It felt both dynamic and natural, and the war itself was quite tricky

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Just watch this and realize that nothing matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTTUpVWNKk

Helped me immensely.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MiddleOne posted:

Just watch this

I can't.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I can think of no one else who so accurately captures how Hearts of Iron IV is the most overcomplicated game ever but where none of the complexity really matters 90% of the time. iSorrowproductions is the hero Hearts of Iron IV deserves, but no the one it needs right now.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
his subs only game was certainly something

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Is there a way I’m missing to direct new recruits to a field marshal which then get assigned to whatever generals are under their cap? I confess I hate this new system compared to the old “toss em all under one dude and micro your tanks” approach but I’m trying to learn it. Having to constantly fiddle with where my recruits are going is my 2nd biggest problem (after front line weirdness).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Not under their cap unfortunately, if you grab a bunch of unassigned units and right click on the field marshall's portrait it will split them between your armies evenly.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD93H5Ntmdw
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855139

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Got a real nasty bug in HoI4 Kaiserreich, found it first in 1.5.2 and it's still here in 1.5.3. Attempting to draft a naval invasion causes a hard crash.

I can click the option to start planning, but as soon as I click an origin port the game crashes out.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

MiddleOne posted:

Hearts of Iron IV is the most overcomplicated game ever but where none of the complexity really matters 90% of the time

I dunno, I think literally any other Paradox game is an equal contender for this award. I explain the learning curve to friends trying to get into [CK2, EU4, Stellaris, HOI4] as figuring out which numbers you can ignore, either because they're not important or you can't meaningfully effect them.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I can think of no one else who so accurately captures how Hearts of Iron IV is the most overcomplicated game ever but where none of the complexity really matters 90% of the time. iSorrowproductions is the hero Hearts of Iron IV deserves, but no the one it needs right now.

Is that the guy who did China with nothing but cavalrymen?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Just watch this and realize that nothing matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTTUpVWNKk

Helped me immensely.

Well now I know what I'm going to do next. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

Is that the guy who did China with nothing but cavalrymen?

Yep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXU0n-kJPns