Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just installed a mod that lets me puppet nations during peace conferences. Before, I could only seem to puppet them if it was part of a focus tree war goal. World domination should be a lot easier now since I can rely on AI to keep things relatively safe on the home front. I always found it unfun when I annexed everything and had to control a zillion more factories and borders.

My question is, what level of autonomy is best for keeping the AI puppets militarily strong, yet integrated enough that I can call them into war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

buglord posted:

I just installed a mod that lets me puppet nations during peace conferences. Before, I could only seem to puppet them if it was part of a focus tree war goal. World domination should be a lot easier now since I can rely on AI to keep things relatively safe on the home front. I always found it unfun when I annexed everything and had to control a zillion more factories and borders.

My question is, what level of autonomy is best for keeping the AI puppets militarily strong, yet integrated enough that I can call them into war?

I'm fairly sure that (in the base game at least) Communists get the puppet option by default and Democratics get the Change Government, I may be wrong though as I haven't played non-modded for a while.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Democracies are the only one who don't get to puppet states as a default option. They get change government for a state that already exists, but IIRC they can make satellites out of releasable nations, which makes them a puppet of their "liberator."

In fact, being able to puppet governments as unaligned lets you make all sorts of bizarre nonsensical governments that would only exist in the world's most bizarre and poorly written alt-history. The kind that would make Turtledove say "now, this is just absurd."

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 24, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
If your games don't end up looking like some bizzare hybrid of every Turtledove novel ever then I don't know what game you're playing.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Acute Grill posted:

I dunno, I think literally any other Paradox game is an equal contender for this award. I explain the learning curve to friends trying to get into [CK2, EU4, Stellaris, HOI4] as figuring out which numbers you can ignore, either because they're not important or you can't meaningfully effect them.

Not even going to touch Victoria II or, worse yet, Ricky?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Holy poo poo. I'm on my umpteen-thousandth run as Best Germany in Apres Moi and I finally crack the civil war without France jumping in to roll over me, take on the Central Powers and murder them with the help of the continentals and leap in to the rescue of Ukraine and the Baltics, and from being at war solidly for 4 years I'm 60,000 infantry equipment in the hole, absolutely gasping for manpower and the whole front's falling apart thanks to Ukraine capitulating and the Russian-Turkish menace absolutely mobbing us on all sides, having forced their way through in Crimea. It's been absolutely insane so far and with the absurd seesawing of the front and the equally absurd losses on both sides I don't actually know who's going to win this one. China's decided to claim Siberia but hasn't moved on it yet because they're at war with Louisiana thanks to the Algonquins, so my only hope now is that Japan picks the claims on Siberia focus and leaps to the rescue, even though they've been evicted from the mainland by China. The only thing restraining the French from stabbing me in the back (having already taken the punish Germany focus) is a non-aggression pact they signed with me while double-teaming Poland, so I've probably got that to look forward to as well.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm not a huge fan of Deluge just because of how all the focus trees are kinda boring .

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

David Corbett posted:

Not even going to touch Victoria II or, worse yet, Ricky?

:sever: anybody interested in a pre-Clausewitz Paradox game.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Acute Grill posted:

:sever: anybody interested in a pre-Clausewitz Paradox game.

Darkest Hour has words for you. Also Vicky II is a Clausewitz game!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm playing on historical and have managed to stall germanys invasion of Belgium as the UK. Will be interesting to see if the Ai is smart enough to delay barbarossa until it has cleared up the western front (possibly with help from axis spain

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

pointsofdata posted:

Will be interesting to see if the Ai is smart enough to delay barbarossa until it has cleared up the western front (possibly with help from axis spain

(Ron Howard voice) It's not.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
As an Assertive Manchukuo, if I vassalize the warlords will I be able to annex them after I puppet them?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

White Coke posted:

As an Assertive Manchukuo, if I vassalize the warlords will I be able to annex them after I puppet them?

Looking at the code for the national focus and events, you should be able to annex them in the same way that any other vassal can be annexed using the TfV system (slow lowering of Autonomy from puppet -> integrated puppet -> annexed). You don't get any fancy / quick methods to annex vassal warlords with decisions like what Nationalist China has.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Deluge just because of how all the focus trees are kinda boring .

Agreed, but it's basically MP sandbox the mod.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What's the best way to play Communist China? Do I ally with Nationalist China to fight Japan and then stab them in the back when it's safe?

Also how do I stop Mao's portrait from turning me gay and communist?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

What's the best way to play Communist China? Do I ally with Nationalist China to fight Japan and then stab them in the back when it's safe?

Also how do I stop Mao's portrait from turning me gay and communist?

You put the game down because playing China anything is a miserable experience, no matter which of the China's you're playing as.

Serious answer. Justify against Shanxi immediately (they have like no starting divisions), try to grab a region or two in the border conflicts and hope to god that the others actually ally up with you to fight Japan at some point because otherwise Nationalist China is folding against Japan in like 1 year max. Then do what you just suggested and hope for the best.

An alternative is rushing Soviet everything and hoping for a comintern invite which will drag Stalin into WW2 two years early.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Nah, rush the focus that lets you conquer two of your neighbours ASAP. Then conquer two of your neighbours ASAP. You are now in a much better position for everything that follows.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Go the Bernie Bro route and take over China with Social Democracy. If you wait and let the other Warlords take over China first then you can swoop in and get them all at once.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
My route for Communist China was annexing Shanxi and Xibei San Ma as quickly as possible for the manpower boost, and then assisting the Nationalists in kicking Japan off the mainland and using that time to establish max-level uprisings in all of the available states. Don't worry about the Nationalists getting all that Manchurian land. Most of it sucks and you'll be getting it back soon anyway. Once Japan peaced out, I took most of the Nationalist territory with one click, and then mopped up the warlords.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Agreed, but it's basically MP sandbox the mod.

Speaking of!

There's still time to sign up for the Goon Apres Moi game starting Friday this week at 3pm Pacific US/6pm East US/10pm British

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855139&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post483635031

Most of the majors in Europe and Asia are taken already but we're still looking for players who want to fill out minors or if we get 2-3 more people to sign up next to each other, in the Americas

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gort posted:

Nah, rush the focus that lets you conquer two of your neighbours ASAP. Then conquer two of your neighbours ASAP. You are now in a much better position for everything that follows.

In the time it takes to get the focus you could just justify against them both.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Go Mobile Warfare as Commie China and build WWI tanks!

E: I hear there are some additional bonuses to the Mass Warfare doctrine that make it better. Anybody know about that?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Does anyone know what the "Institute Direct Rule" event is meant to do? I clicked on it and it said Joseph Stalin was unconvinced of our ability to lead communist China, but _ remained chairman of the communist party of China. I was Stalin so that confused me a lot.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

White Coke posted:

Go the Bernie Bro route and take over China with Social Democracy. If you wait and let the other Warlords take over China first then you can swoop in and get them all at once.

I can't seem to find anyone who actually did this (or at least who recorded it), I would like to know more. It seems like that route suffers from not having the options to get rid of some of the maluses that Communist China starts with.

Also, can't Zhang Lan technically be the leader of both Nationalist & Communist China? Is there a special event if he's the ruler of both countries?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Yvonmukluk posted:

I can't seem to find anyone who actually did this (or at least who recorded it), I would like to know more. It seems like that route suffers from not having the options to get rid of some of the maluses that Communist China starts with.

Also, can't Zhang Lan technically be the leader of both Nationalist & Communist China? Is there a special event if he's the ruler of both countries?

You get rid of the Long March when you take Market Reforms, everything else is done through the same tracks as the other choices. And they changed it so Zhang Lan isn't the communist leader of Nationalist China anymore.

What makes the Social Democracy path so powerful is that you get decisions to win the warlords over to your cause to build support. The decisions trigger events that make the Warlord ask you for something, usually just involving spending a bunch of political power, and because the power cost comes from the event and not the decision you can go into a huge deficit to win their favor. I've gone into something like -600. The best part is that if you earn their support then they can't seem to move against you, either by building up their own support in provinces, or asking Stalin to take over from you. I've been able to take over China in less than 18 months and once you're in charge the Japanese can't do anything to stop you, since you'll have over 35 million manpower from service by requirement. The only part that sucks is that you can't rename your self to the People's Republic.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

If you do this path, world tension will probably be high enough by the time Japan declares on you that you can join the Comintern and the USSR will join in. Make sure you develop paratroopers or marines and naval bombers. You're not going to be doing that in 36' but once you take the rest of China, you'll have enough factories to max out your research. The USSR can't do naval invasions or just doesn't do them because of the AI only focusing on land wars so you'll have to take the mainland and Taiwan on your own.

Shanxi is pretty easy to take and tends to be better than Xibei San Ma in terms of helping your war effort. You can kind of out maneuver Xibei out of the gate but you'll get bogged down and probably still at war by mid-1937.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 1, 2018

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
As Communist China, if you pump out infantry as soon as it’s ready to deploy (like 10% training and equipment) and you hold off on taking a national focus until you have enough political power to justify on Shaanxi (not Shanxi, that your state!) and then justify on the dudes to your west for good measure, you can have a general with a full 24 divisions (full being relative) ready to go. This allows you to just swarm and swallow both warlords, as you’ll have at least 3-5 times their divisions ready to snake all over while your other ones pin enemies down. Don’t focus on winning fights, just pinning units and taking territory. If you justify on Sinkiang as well, that’s a breeze to snap up.

It doesn’t matter that your units are green or at 15% equipment/whatever, as the rough terrain modifiers and minuscule attack values on both sides mean that battles against the enemy will drag on (with minimal casualties/equipment lost), which is what you want. If a battle gets down to 15-20%, reinforce it. Just pocket and pin everything. Try not to leave enemy territory laying around, as the warlords will deploy some units as your assault rolls on.

It’s the Zerg rush of Chinese warfare. The only way it could be better is if you had a cavalry template at the start for more speed. You can even then snap up Tibet, Bhutan and that other tiny country if you want. 420 justify ahead of time err day.

It’s like taking the US as Mexico. Strike as early and as fast as possible before they make any significant military.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 1, 2018

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Pvt.Scott posted:

As Communist China, if you pump out infantry as soon as it’s ready to deploy (like 10% training and equipment) and you hold off on taking a national focus until you have enough political power to justify on Shaanxi (not Shanxi, that your state!) and then justify on the dudes to your west for good measure, you can have a general with a full 24 divisions (full being relative) ready to go. This allows you to just swarm and swallow both warlords, as you’ll have at least 3-5 times their divisions ready to snake all over while your other ones pin enemies down. Don’t focus on winning fights, just pinning units and taking territory. If you justify on Sinkiang as well, that’s a breeze to snap up.

It doesn’t matter that your units are green or at 15% equipment/whatever, as the rough terrain modifiers and minuscule attack values on both sides mean that battles against the enemy will drag on (with minimal casualties/equipment lost), which is what you want. If a battle gets down to 15-20%, reinforce it. Just pocket and pin everything. Try not to leave enemy territory laying around, as the warlords will deploy some units as your assault rolls on.

It’s the Zerg rush of Chinese warfare. The only way it could be better is if you had a cavalry template at the start for more speed. You can even then snap up Tibet, Bhutan and that other tiny country if you want. 420 justify ahead of time err day.

It’s like taking the US as Mexico. Strike as early and as fast as possible before they make any significant military.

My only critique here is that you don't need a full-24 to take your neighbors but otherwise this is 100% correct and works literally anywhere with bad industry (Middle East, Baltics, South America)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

If you justify on Sinkiang

Sinkiang joins the Comintern like 60% of the time, though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is Kaiserreich updated for HOI4 yet? If so is it good?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah it's up to date. I think the only big change they made was to Italy. There's not much use of the decisions mechanic.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

It works with the current patch, I've been playing a little bit of it, and I'd say not especially. For some reason they shoe horned in an EU3 style stability system.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

White Coke posted:

It works with the current patch, I've been playing a little bit of it, and I'd say not especially. For some reason they shoe horned in an EU3 style stability system.
It's just a chunked version of the vanilla stability system at the moment. Triggered modifiers at different thresholds of stability. The more frustrating thing is how many smaller countries just have endless strings of "things are terrible" events to claw your way out of, making it even more impossible to compete with the majors.

I also "like" the big focus trees, in principle, but cutting the completion times for them by a third to half would be nice.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

Sinkiang joins the Comintern like 60% of the time, though.

Need to get there quicker then.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Strudel Man posted:

I also "like" the big focus trees, in principle, but cutting the completion times for them by a third to half would be nice.

This has been my biggest complaint with the newest KR. By the time you rebuild your economy after the civil war (in the countries that have them), it's already mid 1943 and you've either been steamrolled by the Internationale or the Reichspakt or the war is in a total stalemate because the western front inevitably turns into trench warfare.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Strudel Man posted:

I think they have. There were a bunch of focuses for Russia that were on 14 days. What's really bad is that as Russia you have to wait several months before you can take any focuses, since Kerensky needs to die, then you wait until you get events telling you to reform the army or have a foreign policy.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah it's up to date. I think the only big change they made was to Italy. There's not much use of the decisions mechanic.

there is a vietnam war now too

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

White Coke posted:

I think they have. There were a bunch of focuses for Russia that were on 14 days. What's really bad is that as Russia you have to wait several months before you can take any focuses, since Kerensky needs to die, then you wait until you get events telling you to reform the army or have a foreign policy.

Some have shorter focus times (in fact, Sardinia and Egypt seem to be test grounds for this), but most of the trees still have minimum 70 day focus times.

The winner is all forms of Spain, who have to take five 140 day focuses to unfuck your economy.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Ireland now has an incredibly long and over detailed focus tree that eventually turns you into a solid middle power trade republic in a super special alliance with America.

And the game runs pretty slow, at least compared to the base game, because sooooo many super detailed events and civil wars have to be churned through in like 1937-38. There’s still a little instability too, my Canada game crashes and it won’t stop, no matter where I reload the save. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm honestly a little surprised that nobody has taken the Kaiserreich source files and put out a Kaiserreich Lite that rips out all the dumb stability poo poo, stupidly detailed events, etc. and replaces the epically-huge focus trees with something more resembling Apres Moi.

... or actually, just play Apres Moi.