Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
After all this time i'm rioting that half the focus tree isn't Anastasia and Vlassov as expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The rest of the tree is the Red Alert path, you know it to be true.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
It said that a lot of the focuses will be shorter.

Rather than the focus tree, though, I'm surprised at how many decisions they're adding! There's a bunch of new systems all going through the decisions window, many of them quite fiddly. There's fairly standard stuff like unique military-buff decisions only takeable in certain circumstances or after certain focuses, aiding your smaller allies, foreign policy decisions, and some dedicated decisions for influencing Chinese states. But there's also gonna be a whole decision system based around managing Stalin's paranoia, a set of decisions for reorganizing your industry on a plant-by-plant basis, and even a decision system for choosing individual propaganda posters to issue.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Vizuyos posted:

It said that a lot of the focuses will be shorter.

Rather than the focus tree, though, I'm surprised at how many decisions they're adding! There's a bunch of new systems all going through the decisions window, many of them quite fiddly. There's fairly standard stuff like unique military-buff decisions only takeable in certain circumstances or after certain focuses, aiding your smaller allies, foreign policy decisions, and some dedicated decisions for influencing Chinese states. But there's also gonna be a whole decision system based around managing Stalin's paranoia, a set of decisions for reorganizing your industry on a plant-by-plant basis, and even a decision system for choosing individual propaganda posters to issue.

Me, shedding a tear: you got your vicky in my hoi4

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Having now read through the dev post, everything shown so far looks great. Super hyped now.

Also can't wait for the absolutely certain to be included Communist Germany path. :colbert:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dramicus posted:

The rest of the tree is the Red Alert path, you know it to be true.

Come to think of it, why hasn't there been a popular Red Alert mod yet?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgqjhPihjXA

jeezlouise... IT'S STALIN

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Ok now I'm going to be disappointed if random Doom sound effects don't play when the random purges kick off.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

The only thing I can figure is that HoI4 can already kinda-sorta go that route, RA1 is supposed to be late 40s early 50s so the buildup would be even longer, and there's no Nazis

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The Red Alert mod is the Democratic Germany path.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Big fan of the Soviet focus tree so far. Big fan of Stalin's Paranoia Minigame.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Ive taken an extended vacation from HOI4 but this USSR patch is exciting. I havent even read the dev diary yet!

e: yeah im down for this

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 5, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, having read that dev diary, this looks very promising.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Bloody Pom posted:

There was a Command and Conquer mod planned that someone I know was working on. It was supposed to be a reboot of sorts for the Paradox mod for Red Alert 3, which folds in factions from all the CnC games. Given how I haven't heard anything in years, it's probably defunct.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Base HoI4 is available for $1 on Humble Bundle rn

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Played a mod where infantry is 1 width and 10 org and bolting additional support increased the org. Pretty wild I need to try it out more.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I've been playing the world aflame mod and it's pretty interesting so far, optimal division width is 30w

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I like world aflame; it’s Econ stuff is interesting but I hate to micro it and seems duplicative of other systems.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Where do I find this World Aflame mod? Neither Steam Workshop (though the search is bad) nor google seem to turn up anything.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Bremen posted:

Where do I find this World Aflame mod? Neither Steam Workshop (though the search is bad) nor google seem to turn up anything.

Pretty sure they're talking about World Ablaze: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2149567872

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any recently updated HOI4 mods centered around world domination? I remember there was a gundam mod that started you off in asia as a pretty small regional power, and you'd eventually balloon in size. Ditto a communist aliens one where you started off in Brazil.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Uh, the pony mod. It's alternate world though. And the world is a bit smaller. I'd say the world pop is significantly less than 1 billion? Compared to 1936 real world pop of a bit more than 2 billion. But you can take over the world in it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Pony mod is definitely one of the best total war ones. You'll typically have a big flurry of early wars, WW1, imperial consolidation / buildup, a few late mega-wars, and finally a hell war between the continents.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thanks for the suggestion, I have to admit though that I cant overcome the mental barrier of MLP. Im sorry for letting you all down.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As you should be. If it helps you can play in Griffonia and have to deal with minimal ponies and no MLP canon.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

buglord posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I have to admit though that I cant overcome the mental barrier of MLP. Im sorry for letting you all down.

If it's not fun, it's not fun. But if you're willing to give it a chance, as noted above there's an entire continent full of griffons that's almost entirely created by the mod team and has little to do with the show or ponies so you can pretend it's just a fantasy races mod (there are some pony nations on the griffon continent, though also original creations instead of the show, so you don't completely escape kid toy portraits).

Bremen fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 8, 2021

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

buglord posted:

if it makes you feel better one of the nations in pony mod is actually an undead horde that gradually just declares war on the entire world and kills all the cartoon horses.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The pony mod is shockingly good. If it helps, it doesn't really come off as a brony mod even. It's v understandable to find the ponies too cringey, but it's a step above the ones where the all the world leaders become shipgirls and the modders need to spend some time in horny jail.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The problem I had wasn't that it was MLP, but that I felt totally adrift. If I'm Russia, Greece or France, even a goofy wildly alt-hist version, I can settle in to something that feels appropriate. Being Captain Hurfen of the Durfen Republics on a completely different map and the tech tree's changed top to bottom just left me like "ok, what do i do?".

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

There are rough real world analogs to most of the major powers, a few off the top of my head:

On the left contient
Changelings: Nazi Germany
Equestria: UK or the Allies in general
Stalliongrad: USSR
Changelings will act like nazis, first annex nearby small countrys and ending with a WW2 with Equstria. Stalliongrad can intervene on either side. There is also a lot of post-war man in the high castle type plot for how the occupation works if the changelings win.

On the other continent
Wingbardy: Italy
Aquila: France
Griffon Empire: Holy Roman Empire Germany
Each will start off annexing or making an alliance out of their smaller neighbors culminating in a fight between them. All 3 have fully paths/stories for every alignment so the matchups varies.

Fascist Wingbardy is a good choice to start with IMO. They dont come into conflict with another major early and have a lot of late game options including taking over the HRE.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I dunno, just follow the focus tree. That's half the point of it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This is why you should play the Gundam mod, the progression is straight forward.

Build giant robots -> Declare independence from the Fedrats -> Drop a colony or two on their asses -> ??? this plan is flawless.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dramicus posted:

This is why you should play the Gundam mod, the progression is straight forward.

That mod is very promising but would strongly benefit from crunching down the # of Earth provinces by 3/4. Is there a mod that does that already?

Also lowering the ic of both powers by 80% or so.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So I'm just watching random HoI4 videos on YouTube, and I learned something I feel like I want to share.

When you're drawing an offensive line and have the problem that the game seems to want to attach it to the wrong front line (because there's multiple where it can come from), you can use TAB to cycle through the possible front lines and select the one you want the order to be assigned to.

I feel like this blew my mind on par with manual support attacks.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Arbite posted:

That mod is very promising but would strongly benefit from crunching down the # of Earth provinces by 3/4. Is there a mod that does that already?

It's called Gihren's Greed.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

TheMcD posted:

When you're drawing an offensive line and have the problem that the game seems to want to attach it to the wrong front line (because there's multiple where it can come from), you can use TAB to cycle through the possible front lines and select the one you want the order to be assigned to.

what

WHAT

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
if you are playing the gundam version and would like it to be better you can play Gihren's Greed instead

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TheMcD posted:

So I'm just watching random HoI4 videos on YouTube, and I learned something I feel like I want to share.

I feel like this blew my mind on par with manual support attacks.

What the gently caress yo :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dance Officer posted:

It's called Gihren's Greed.

KoldPT posted:

if you are playing the gundam version and would like it to be better you can play Gihren's Greed instead

I have the last one that was released, and unfortunately it's on psp and in Japanese. It just takes too much effort to play it. I studied Japanese in university 10 years ago and I can get around, but it's ultimately too much effort to just sit and enjoy.

There hasn't been a Gihren's Greed release in ages and the Gundam mod is literally the closest thing we will ever get in English, unfortunately.