Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

What do ya'll intend to play first after all the pre-order nerds say whether or not it's good or stellaris'd again?

I'm thinking France, pretty quick and easy to figure things out.

I'm not actually playing the game until I get my realistic extended Heroes of the Anti-Stalinist struggle portrait mod including every single general-level German officer in the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The OOB and TOE could be fleshed out. Military formations without artillery would have been unthinkable in 1916, let alone 1936.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

What do ya'll intend to play first after all the pre-order nerds say whether or not it's good or stellaris'd again?

Nationalist China, because you only have to worry about developing your infantry, your outdated navy exists to be blown up in the harbor by planes rather than your troops, it's an underdog nation that can stay in the war the entire way, and I enjoy pain.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

The OOB and TOE could be fleshed out. Military formations without artillery would have been unthinkable in 1916, let alone 1936.

Artillery is a battalion level attachment for your divisions

You donr get artillery divisions

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Japan until I realize I have no loving idea what I'm doing, then I'll switch to America.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

You can get support artillery companies added at the divisional level and line artillery battalions at the regimental/brigade level

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-dev-diary-6-division-design.783017/

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-19th-development-diary-3rd-of-july-2015.867684/

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 22, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Koramei posted:

Japan until I realize I have no loving idea what I'm doing, then I'll switch to America.

oh god no

Don't do first game Japan. You are going to go into a quadmire hellhole and also have to figure out how to do boats well and naval invasions of little islands.

If you want Japan just do UK, don't kill yourself

gqul
Jun 4, 2015

Spiderfist Island posted:

Nationalist China, because you only have to worry about developing your infantry, your outdated navy exists to be blown up in the harbor by planes rather than your troops, it's an underdog nation that can stay in the war the entire way, and I enjoy pain.

After crushing the communists, invading the Japanese mainland, reclaiming Taiwan, occupying Hong Kong and surviving the subsequent British invasion, I definitely felt like I "beat" HoI3. Looking forward to doing it again in 4 once I get back in the swing of things.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My first game will be as Italy and see if my failures match or exceed Mussolini's.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Funky Valentine posted:

My first game will be as Italy and see if my failures match or exceed Mussolini's.

Don't start unprepared wars.

Congratulations, you're better than Mussolini.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Poland, obviously. Will try to ally with Mr Hilter and right some historical wrongs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I understand that artillery is available as an attachment.

What is surprising is that it is not a default attachment for all nations, and all divisions in 1936, and also that it costs XP to get organic artillery (within a regiment) that lowers Org, and is also not a default in 1936.

It's just weirdly anachronistic.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Frosted Flake posted:

What is surprising is that it is not a default attachment for all nations, and all divisions in 1936, and also that it costs XP to get organic artillery (within a regiment) that lowers Org, and is also not a default in 1936.

Yeah, this is fair. The artillery should be WW1-model, but it should definitely be in there.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

How do you know what the default attachments are

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Enjoy posted:

There are tens of hours of footage of people playing the game on the Internet.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Because they've been shown to not be standard for a decent number of countries in the vids I guess.

In HoI3 artillery was pretty much always there as a function of being an infantry researchable as wel as a discrete brigade. I guess 'infantry equipment' might cover it as well for -4? Also, if everyone has it, no one has, from a gameplay mechanics perspective at least.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Jeoh posted:

I'm going Maximum Hitler.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Fuligin posted:

You can always set things for historical focuses, for which I am very grateful.

Historical is misleading. It isn't always Historical, the percent chance of AI choosing historical is just way higher then without it IIRC.

I'll probably play the Tutorial first, which is the Italy-Ethiopia war.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Artillery is a battalion level attachment for your divisions

You donr get artillery divisions

Also for some reason artillery battalions increase your divisions combat frontage...

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Red or dead in the US of A.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Stairmaster posted:

Also for some reason artillery battalions increase your divisions combat frontage...

I think it may represent "Combat footprint" or "Logistical overhead" because yeah it makes no sense for artillery to take up frontage.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

CSA

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Enjoy posted:

Theres an entire dev diary about it plus streams

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Congrats on pissing off some diva goon into wasting :10bux: Groogy.

The picture is :3: at least.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Enjoy posted:

DD's plus all the World War Wednesdays.

Danial is playing France in 1936 right now, and French Infantry Divisions start without artillery. That's mind mindbogglingly inaccurate.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

DD's plus all the World War Wednesdays.

Danial is playing France in 1936 right now, and French Infantry Divisions start without artillery. That's mind mindbogglingly inaccurate.

Maybe those are a lighter militia or colonial division he's made

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

The modding stream was pretty helpful.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

ExtraNoise posted:

90s kids get it

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Who the gently caress thought glasses like that were acceptable and why?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Wait till they pan down and you see them all wearing rollerblades.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

i'm the shadow president of the rest of the world

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

i'm the shadow president of the rest of the world

Fun fact: I used a silhouette of George W Bush for that one!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Glass like that are nice because they completely cover your field of vision, where as today's fashionable glasses leave your peripheries uncovered. I have no idea how some people can stand to wear frames that wrap around the whole lens; must be fun looking at the world with a blurry black circle surrounding everything

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The picture is :3: at least.

Added that myself since Drone complained that he was missing my hedgehog av.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

ExtraNoise posted:

drat, the filters end up getting those images pretty nice/consistent with HoI4's art style.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

The Narrator posted:

drat, the filters end up getting those images pretty nice/consistent with HoI4's art style.

Yeah, I spent a long time trying a bunch of different things to get it to "look good". I have a huge guide I wrote myself to go through each step of the process now. I've been using Photoshop professionally for almost twenty years and it still was a challenge, but I'm really happy with the end result.

Edit: Now to automate it with an action!

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 23, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
They all have shiny foreheads.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I think Yeltsin just had a weird knot on his head or something, in his defense.

Are leaders going to have wikipedia buttons in the game? That would be sick.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 23, 2016

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gonna feel bad for the person who abandons their Germany game in disgust halfway through after getting curious and clicking the button.

e: "The lore in this game is awful! Who wrote this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Enjoy posted:

Maybe those are a lighter militia or colonial division he's made

No regimental artillery.

I think earlier in the playthrough there was no divisional, but it's hard to find it on youtube.

French Division 1940