Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Helmet designer would be great, just so that someone would have to figure out what to do with that US event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

i hate designers i hate designers

embrace the designer designer

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

can we get a developer designer to replace these goofballs mucking with the game

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

HerraS posted:

can we get a developer designer to replace these goofballs mucking with the game

It actually exists, but you need a lot of currency if you want to make any changes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I do not understand the point of these things. At least tank, plane, and ship designers, like, in theory made sense, since that was a thing that the countries actually did.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I wonder how much the AI will actually use that market, if at all, or if it's going to turn out like licenses where you can't get them from the AI and the AI will never use them.

Guess the MIO thing is kinda moving a bit more towards the HoI2 thing of having specific groups work on researching specific things, but not quite?

Hellioning posted:

I do not understand the point of these things. At least tank, plane, and ship designers, like, in theory made sense, since that was a thing that the countries actually did.

I suppose the company designer is kinda like Hitler yelling at Krupp or Rheinmetall and giving them resources to focus specifically on artillery development or light tank development or whatever, and making either cheap, easily produced artillery or artillery that makes big boom?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope the AI is scripted to force Porsche to develop electric-drive tanks.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I can appreciate not wanting to give the apperanace of going backwards but things like the frontline system still don't work as well as when every unit was able to in a continuous line under one field marshal, especially when ordering an advance. Hell, I really enjoyed my Soviet game where I spent five years preparing for the blitzkrieg, and just lined everybody up on the border under Zhukov, weathered their attack, and just clicked advance.

Keeping an eye on production and sometimes playing with an armored detachment was a lot of fun. If they changed it so that the units were lined up under the field marshal who had the size of the force he could command expanded with every general in his command, that would play nice with the frontline ai.

I dunno, hard to imagine more micro's the way to broaden the audience, but maybe something they worry about more with new game launches.

As for something new that I would definitely pay for, I would love a GUI for modding. Let me click, and drag and drop focuses, don't make staring at a doc the only way to do it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This doesn't seem like more micro. It looks a bit like the doctrine system where you make some big choices for specialization and then the company goes down a linear progression path as it gains XP or whatever. The global market looks to be totally optional. If you don't want to use it, then you will play exactly as you do now. If you do choose to use it, more options and strategies will be open to you.

This addition seems like a trivial amount of micro compared to the espionage system, for example.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
That's clearly an invalid DLC design, you don't have nearly enough bugs.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
While I don't think the industry designer and market designer solve any problems I had with game design, I am kinda looking forward to the upcoming "all civs no mils" world conquests it's going to spawn.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm the bitch all these designers are for. Yes I want a gun designer. Let me put silencers on a grenade like MGS. Give me a new Resonance of Fate style gun customization thing.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i like alot of the stuff about the designers but imho it should be for wonderwaffen nonsense excluisvely

i dont want to design the better spitfire i would just like the spitfire most of the time

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The designers might have been ok if they didn't result in some utter nonsense like the best ship being a cruiser with 1 heavy gun and as many light guns as possible or the best tank being a bulldozer with a flamethrower

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Most new features need a couple balance patches. Both of those things were patched out relatively quickly. And even then, it only really mattered if you played MP. Nothing forces you to be super optimal in SP.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

VostokProgram posted:

The designers might have been ok if they didn't result in some utter nonsense like the best ship being a cruiser with 1 heavy gun and as many light guns as possible or the best tank being a bulldozer with a flamethrower

But why do I need a designer if not for nonsense? The boring but effective weapons of WW2 were modeled just fine by the old system. I need jet-powered aircraft carriers and tanks with battleship guns or there is no point.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
If you’re not designing weapons with the intent of them being featured in a 3-hour History Channel special about “The Hidden Weapons of the 1000-year Mexican Gigareich” 50 years later then why are you even playing?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

it's not the goofiness that is bad, but the min-max nature of it. having a handful of objectively best min-maxed designs for everything is lame. the game would work a lot better with units carefully designed and balanced by the developers

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Still extremely mad that I can't put sonar and torpedoes on a train.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Exactly, remove the armored, civilian, and artillery train options. It's time for a train designer.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

Lostconfused posted:

Exactly, remove the armored, civilian, and artillery train options. It's time for a train designer.

If this leads me to declaring war strictly because of the other countries rail gauge, to ensure strict worldwide gauge compliance, then I agree with a train designer.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

It could happen to you, don’t be unprepared.

https://coffeeordie.com/submarine-sinks-train

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
HOi4's youtube channel put out a short on Equestria at War, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6YsMXSMF7w
Presume this means the full video is coming soon.

(As a small plug for those on the fence, we added ~70 countries in the zebrica update on the third continent. Most of those are generics, but in the north zebrican region they're all playable (9-10 countries?) with multiple focus trees, one of those for example has ~500 focuses across all routes, and god knows how many hours worth of writing for the events.)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Seriously, if you want me to play a mod, you need to tell me what the good and fun focus trees to play are.

I don't want to waste hours beating my head against some contrived super hard challenge mode one where it doesn't really expect you to get through most of the time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm the bitch all these designers are for. Yes I want a gun designer. Let me put silencers on a grenade like MGS. Give me a new Resonance of Fate style gun customization thing.

Look I'd throw down for an infantry kit designer ok? Let me deck out some virtual GI Joe dolls.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Iymarra posted:

HOi4's youtube channel put out a short on Equestria at War, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6YsMXSMF7w
Presume this means the full video is coming soon.

(As a small plug for those on the fence, we added ~70 countries in the zebrica update on the third continent. Most of those are generics, but in the north zebrican region they're all playable (9-10 countries?) with multiple focus trees, one of those for example has ~500 focuses across all routes, and god knows how many hours worth of writing for the events.)

i tried zebrica but it seems to suffer from some extreme event text bloat. i blame tno for this trend

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Does it have a horse designer

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Vengarr posted:

Does it have a horse designer

Wouldn't that be like asking if the latest dlc added a human designer?

well get on it pdox

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Lostconfused posted:

Seriously, if you want me to play a mod, you need to tell me what the good and fun focus trees to play are.

I don't want to waste hours beating my head against some contrived super hard challenge mode one where it doesn't really expect you to get through most of the time.

Let's see.

Equestria: They're basically in the WW2 US position (huge economy, lots of penalties until war starts) except facing imminent land invasion without a sea barrier. OTOH, they're by far the biggest connection to the show so maybe not a great choice if you're just looking for a HoI mod rather than a HoI pony mod.
Changelings: As above, but WW2 Germany invading Equestria. Shapeshifting bug monsters from the show.
Stalliongrad: I haven't played them but they're communist ponies with pun-y names (like Caramel Marks).

There's a whole host of griffon nations on the other continent that are all fragments of a dissolved empire which is almost entirely created just for the mod with little influence from the show. They get to spend a few years doing their own thing (most get a wide choice of ideologies based on focus tree path) and then there's usually a free for all where the winner reforms the empire. Major ones are the Griffonian Empire, Griffonian Republic, Wingbardy (Griffon Italy), and Aquileia (Griffon France). These are probably my favorite to play since you usually get in a lot of wars of gradually larger scale.
There's also a bunch of little nations on the griffon continent but unless you're going for a Bhutan conquers the world style challenge run they probably won't get too big.

As far as Zebrica goes, IMHO most of the Zebrica nations are too scripted and end up being more of a choose your own adventure than actual HoI game (a trend in HoI mods I don't care for), though Hippogriffia IMHO avoids that the best. It's basically a democratic (by default) Japan on its own island with the army/navy divide replaced by isolationism/interventionalism as the rest of the continent descends into war.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The Griffonian Republic is the best because you get to elect Bird Robespierre with an eyepatch

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I played, uh, I forget the name but whatever Zebrican nation is the one with a Posadist route, not that long ago. It was pretty fun for a while, but the run sort of spluttered to a halt eventually when the focus tree started to demand ever-larger stockpiles of nuclear weapons to progress (and I'd hosed my nuke income with the secret weapon decisions that come with permanent nuke upkeep costs). Took multiple ingame years of twiddling my thumbs and flood-building reactors to dig my way out of that hole.

Bremen posted:

Equestria: They're basically in the WW2 US position (huge economy, lots of penalties until war starts) except facing imminent land invasion without a sea barrier. OTOH, they're by far the biggest connection to the show so maybe not a great choice if you're just looking for a HoI mod rather than a HoI pony mod.
Changelings: As above, but WW2 Germany invading Equestria. Shapeshifting bug monsters from the show.
Stalliongrad: I haven't played them but they're communist ponies with pun-y names (like Caramel Marks).

I think the nations on Equus are dispreferred atm because their trees are old and grody and considered in need of an overhaul.

But if people want to know where the cool content is, I think the recommended nations UI highlights them all?

e:

Yeah, any of these is probably good?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 23, 2023

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

it's not the goofiness that is bad, but the min-max nature of it. having a handful of objectively best min-maxed designs for everything is lame. the game would work a lot better with units carefully designed and balanced by the developers

Is there a game that can't be min-maxed by a goon with an excel spreadsheet? It's pretty much impossible to design a system that offers any choice where there isn't an optimal one (that will absolutely be found by a poopsocker in a basement somewhere).

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Dramicus posted:

Is there a game that can't be min-maxed by a goon with an excel spreadsheet? It's pretty much impossible to design a system that offers any choice where there isn't an optimal one (that will absolutely be found by a poopsocker in a basement somewhere).

It's kind of just a problem of fiddliness. I'm maybe going to build an early game shitbox and then decent mediums once I can. I can either do that by researching and building light tank 1 and then medium tank 1-3 or by researching a chassis, researching a gun, researching other techs to stick on, then spending the army xp on the exact same stuff every time to get a tank I want.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ardryn posted:

Wouldn't that be like asking if the latest dlc added a human designer?

well get on it pdox

Delicious: +5% manpower attrition when Out of Supply, -10% equipment attrition when Out of Supply.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is that for humans or horses

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Isn't the primary conflict of the game about designing humans

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Vengarr posted:

Is that for humans or horses

It's a Stellaris joke. If you go the genetic modification path (and are a monster) you can genetically modify races to be delicious. Primarily useful for conquering other races and turning them into livestock.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

It's a Stellaris joke. If you go the genetic modification path (and are a monster) you can genetically modify races to be delicious. Primarily useful for conquering other races and turning them into livestock.

That's normally not very optimal, unless you play as a biological hivemind with catalytic processing, then you can turn all the alien pops into food which you then process into alloys for your ships. My ships are made of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ah, the Alpha Centauri approach.