Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

There is nothing I want to do less in this game than fiddle with the design of ships/planes/tanks. I was cool with the HoI 2 -level tinkering where you could alter the broad purpose of boats by deciding if you wanted depth charges or more AA in the ~3 slots you had on your hull, and that was it. Division designer I can tolerate a bit more but honestly there are too many hoops in managing the templates there too. I want to get straight to the big picture genius stuff like naval landings in Jutland or building a swampy Dutch maginot line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Luckily(?) once you know the designer rules it's just the same couple of solutions every time.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I just spent like 20 minutes trying a million different combinations of naval supremacy, minelaying, air superiority, scout planes blah blah blah trying to figure out why my dudes wouldn't launch their naval invasion of cuba despite having everying APPEAR to be fine..................................

TURNS OUT I FORGOT TO DECLARE WAR ON THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello President Kennedy.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
So, I've heard that the AI prefers to buy guns with more xp attached to them. Can I just print subsidies then, with all these trash guns I have if I just refurbish them? Especially if I got the tech to increase efficiency for refurbishing

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

100%. If you can afford it, factory-wise, I always upgrade old stock for sales.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One thing I will never understand is how the organizer trait is obtained. It must be bugged because I am constantly seeing my field marshals gain zero experience in it despite them ya know, using battle plans.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I just spent like 20 minutes trying a million different combinations of naval supremacy, minelaying, air superiority, scout planes blah blah blah trying to figure out why my dudes wouldn't launch their naval invasion of cuba despite having everying APPEAR to be fine..................................

TURNS OUT I FORGOT TO DECLARE WAR ON THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh I wouldn't worry about it too much. The invasion generally seems to go a little better if you don't declare war until right after the fact, anyway

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Just tried democratic Brazil (for an achievement, lol), and you can very simply peacefully diploannex all of South America via decision. Cores and everything.
You don't get the Guianas, but you do get Cuba and central America.

Very silly.

Also, paras are crazy powerful for breaking entrenched frontlines I recently discovered. Every drop simply removes a set amount of enemy org, so dropping multiple paras shatters the enemy completely.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is that a recent change to para I missed? Used to be that they were nearly useless to drop directly onto enemy units.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Xenoborg posted:

Is that a recent change to para I missed? Used to be that they were nearly useless to drop directly onto enemy units.

It's something you unlock with the new special forces doctrines that came with AAT. Though it certainly isn't supposed to melt enemy units, it's supposed to occur once per state that gets a drop with a 30 day cooldown.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does it matter how many submarines I put in my convoy raiding wolf packs. I usually put like 10 when I have a lot because it's just a round number.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does it matter how many submarines I put in my convoy raiding wolf packs. I usually put like 10 when I have a lot because it's just a round number.

I do 4 per pack, and a fleet of ten of those, and I kill tons of convoys. That's with loading out whatever year submarine I'm on with torps.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I think the most effective thing against the AI is single submarine task forces. Can require a lot of admirals though, and honestly the AI is so bad at fighting subs optimisation is not required.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I think the most effective thing against the AI is single submarine task forces. Can require a lot of admirals though, and honestly the AI is so bad at fighting subs optimisation is not required.

Yeah I always get craploads of convoy kills but I was just curious if there was a significantly better setup. I never bothered with the tiny air wing sizes to max ace benefits, for example.

fake edit, its pretty wacky how lopsided naval battles tend to be. Like I don't even really touch my navy as the USA. All I do is pump out submarines to flood the oceans with convoy raiding, and also maybe pump out destroyers with lots of torpedos on them. I just take the base fleet, half the destroyers in patrol, the rest into some strike forces with literally every other ship except the submarines, and then woooo send them out. Generally the AI gets absolutely vaporized. I click on the little combat thing and oh goodbye 4 battleships, 4 carriers, various cruisers and 4 dozen destroyers while I lost........................ a plane or something. Sure all my ships then go repair but like, their fleet is GONE

sometimes I forget to even take navy doctrines lol

oh you know what it was this time. After I clobber the combined navies of basically the entirety of europe, because I was at war with the allies axis portugal spain whoever as fascist USA, I look at my fleet and every single one of my carriers was missing air wings. I had taken them off at the start of the game because I dont like them having CAS carrier planes, and never replaced them! loving lol

I still love this game even though its stupid as hell.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 30, 2024

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

OK I think I'm done with south america now. I think the best country in ToA is Paraguay but here's the indigenous Chile long long run. Armies made entirely out of mountaineers are pretty silly.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 1, 2024

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
Bonuses against a major country is such a silly thing. Just, forever gaining bonuses against whatever poor bastard gets their factory count to the top 7 of remaining countries.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Apparently Paradox decided this recent integration of DLCs was a good opportunity to yank the price up, so now base HoI4 costs 50€ in the Euro region, on par with CK3.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

OK I think I'm done with south america now. I think the best country in ToA is Paraguay but here's the indigenous Chile long long run. Armies made entirely out of mountaineers are pretty silly.

Nice. You should put your armies under field marshals even if you don't use the field marshal orders, it's free buffs to your units.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Speaking of which, is it better to put all of your divisions into a few armies or have a bunch of armies with a handful of divisions? It feels weird, when playing as a medium-sized country, to have a dozen generals but only use ever use two or three.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Moon Slayer posted:

Speaking of which, is it better to put all of your divisions into a few armies or have a bunch of armies with a handful of divisions? It feels weird, when playing as a medium-sized country, to have a dozen generals but only use ever use two or three.

I think you can minmax and get generals that develop certain traits and skills, like terrain bonuses or infantry/motorized/armored, or naval invasion or etc. etc.... I don't think it's incredibly worth worrying too much about it in like 80 or 90% of situations. You probably want a general with good terrain skills if you are attacking into stuff like mountains. It helps a lot to have a general with the naval invasion bonus if you are doing a lot of naval invasions.

Usually I have a bunch of guys who happen to develop a terrain trait or two, and then they are able to get uh whatever those two good ones are. Adaptable and some other one, which do a lot to mitigate terrain penalties.

I want to say that generals probably gain more XP the more divisions and battalions they have, so I don't think you want to spread things thin.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Depends on how big your fronts are, I find that with longer fronts larger armies tend to do dumb poo poo like shuffle units pointlessly more than having more, smaller armies

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hoi4 is free to play till April 9. Also some discounts on the game and DLC:

Hearts of Iron IV 80% off
Hearts of Iron IV: Arms Against Tyranny 20% off
Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone 30% off
Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back 40% off
Hearts of Iron IV: La Résistance 50% off
Hearts of Iron IV: Man the Guns 60% off
Hearts of Iron IV: Battle for the Bosporus 60% off

Of those, BBA and NSB are the ones I’d particularly recommend. I did a democratic France game recently, and that focus tree from LR is pretty rough.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Seems like a lil bit of damage control

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

My problem playing democratic France is there's so much to fix in their focus tree (terrible political power generation, bad industry, bad army) that I'm stuck with 3 research slots until the game is basically over.

One of these days I should just take all the penalties on the chin and go down the left tree that gives enormous amounts of factories and research first instead. I'd have enough political power to hire like, one minister all game though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Gort posted:

My problem playing democratic France is there's so much to fix in their focus tree (terrible political power generation, bad industry, bad army) that I'm stuck with 3 research slots until the game is basically over.

One of these days I should just take all the penalties on the chin and go down the left tree that gives enormous amounts of factories and research first instead. I'd have enough political power to hire like, one minister all game though.

I found that France's pathetic military output meant there wasn't that much I needed to research. That side of the tree is bullshit - at minimum 350 days to get a research slot and two civs. Getting rid of disjointed government via the center-left political route will take 420 days, while fixing the army takes 490 days and can only be completed after you lose disjointed government. And if you do all that you might not get Air Focus!

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
They need to redo research and also every major’s focus tree that isn’t Italy. The power creep from the most recent focuses is nuts.

I guess research might be a sequel thing but the old focus trees need to be worked on. Too many countries crippled by bad focus trees and Brazil can just hit crazy levels of production as the war breaks out.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The Ace Combat/Strangereal mod updated and I'm already cackling at field marshall Franek Dolas.

Time to flummox the Belkans!

*edit*

Gottem. Fun game, can be done in an afternoon. Strong recommend.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 5, 2024

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Gort posted:

Trip report: This sucks. I've got 5 research slots and a decent industrial base, but no political power at all - I got a head of the army and navy, but not the air force. Reforming the government first feels so much better.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Gort posted:

Trip report: This sucks. I've got 5 research slots and a decent industrial base, but no political power at all - I got a head of the army and navy, but not the air force. Reforming the government first feels so much better.

Yeah when I tried, fractured the country into civil war.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

If France goes to war over in 36 or 37 you have a civil war but it's a pretty easy one. Mop up the north and then the south while holding with a couple entrenched guys on each of the Maginot tiles. France's order of battle is really bad at the start but you can just convert everything to their decent infantry template.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Lord Packinham posted:

They need to redo research and also every major’s focus tree that isn’t Italy. The power creep from the most recent focuses is nuts.

I guess research might be a sequel thing but the old focus trees need to be worked on. Too many countries crippled by bad focus trees and Brazil can just hit crazy levels of production as the war breaks out.

iirc France already did have its focus tree reworked, lol. With I think the Turkey DLC?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

There should be a cheevo for surviving to 1945 using France's historical focus choices.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is it possible for me to change the icon on steam to not be this stupid guy's face.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
why whats wrong with it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why whats wrong with it

lol

please forgive me

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why whats wrong with it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmfao

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

iirc France already did have its focus tree reworked, lol. With I think the Turkey DLC?

With La Resistance.

I'm still very fond of the French focus tree, in the sense that it succeeded at what it was designed to do: force hard choices, make time your enemy and explain how utterly, structurally, hosed France was before WWII. Unfortunately it exists in a strategy game where people like to win.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Playing as a country that actually did anything in the 1936-1948 period:

quote:

force hard choices, make time your enemy and explain how utterly, structurally, hosed X was before WWII

Playing as a country that didn't:

COUNTRY#1RIGHTFULCLAYMEMESLOLCOREWHOLECONTINENTFREENUKES bass-boosted-static-anthem.wav plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Playing as a country that actually did anything in the 1936-1948 period:

Playing as a country that didn't:

COUNTRY#1RIGHTFULCLAYMEMESLOLCOREWHOLECONTINENTFREENUKES bass-boosted-static-anthem.wav plays

Mexico probably should not be able to core half of America :negative: