Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

What’s the meta for what to put in those divisions? Playing with the editor in the late game it seems like art/spart/mart have really fallen down. The support companies for art at and rart are still good but the full brigade seem to be only marginally better at soft attack than infantry and much worse in other stats.

I’ve been using 10x inf for line, 10x mot for exploit, and as many med tanks as I can get with enough not to keep 30 org for breakthrough. Usually at least recon and art support companies. A full 5 if I can afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

wait, really? What is MP good for then?

MP is actually has pretty good combat stats. I use them on defensive divisions sometimes like the German side of the Maginot line or coast guards.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Use mountaineers and infantry in the east, you can attack, but these guys are mostly to distract and pin while you come in from behind. Naval invade Istanbul and the other ports on the north coast. After they land ferry more infantry over as supplies allows. At starting game tech levels and templates, I don't bother trying to attack into mountains unless they are surrounded. The rear should be empty enough that you can move around any enemies you find and go for cities and for surrounds. Surrounded units get like -75% to all stats between the surrounded and no supply penalties. They also go pop when defeated instead of just getting pushed back. Expand south with an eye on cutting off all the units that were on the east border from difficult terrain like mountains or river crossings.

Tanks and motorized should be used on coast of the Romanian border and head down the plains. Have infantry with them in a separate army that doesn't attack, just fills in the new front line as it expands.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 9, 2019

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Ever since MTG, it feel like the oil side of synthetics is really weak. One refinery makes as much fuel as 1 oil. Fully teched, the ratio is still below 2 oil. If you can trade for oil, make a cheaper civ instead and get 8 points worth with added flexibility. If you also need the rubber its not so bad, but its still not great.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Popete posted:

I don't fully understand the oil/fuel relationship yet.

But I don't have to build any normal types of refinery correct? 1 oil will automatically be converted to 48 fuel?

Correct. The normal oil refineries are abstracted, I think the mouseover of the fuel bar will explain your current numbers. There is a line of industry tech that improve the conversion, but nothing building wise.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

If you are researching techs ahead of time, you are giving up breath for depth. Its easy to get into the mindset of starting things at 1+ year ahead is normal when its important (Industry, key planes/tanks) or you have a focus boost, but when you expect to be both ahead of time and covering all areas, you cant make it work.

That being said, it would be nice to have some kind of behind time catch up mechanic. Either an inverse to the current ahead of time, or a way to jump in mid tree.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

What if doctrines researched purely with xp and you could adjust how much xp/day they were using.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Phone posting, but I like the Blue Marble map mod. Doesn’t break Ironman.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Has anyone run the math on what the equipment cost of exercising is? I imagine its something like 25% of base to go from green to regular and 50% from regular to trained, but I've never actually tested/mathed it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Anyone know if the land/air/naval reformer military staff increase unit or leader XP? I'm guessing its just template/design/research xp, but I might as well check since some countries have very few options.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Working on my tank rush Germany tactic atm and i ran into two questions i couldn't find the answer to on google:

1: What influences how much XP a division gets from exercise? I see that my divisions vary a bit in what they get even tho they are the same template.
The above answer is for national army xp. For the xp of the individual division (green, regular, trained etc), it is mostly dependent on how full on equipment they are. Even with 0 of 120 med tanks they will still get some xp, so you can train your tank divisions without using up tanks, but instead using a lot more of whatever else they use (guns, support, trunks).

The base training time of the division and national training time modifiers also have an impact.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wiki says the amount of planes in a combat is 3x the enemy's battle width so yeah 60 plane wings would slot into any combat width

This (or something like it) is true, but long ago they changed it so the size of each air group doesn't factor in. Battles just draw from the pool of active planes in that region. I tend to use groups of 200 to match airbases. Sometimes 50/100 if I have fewer planes or need to cover more zones.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Gort posted:

Every other doctrine (except for the left branch of Strategic Destruction which is a trap) gets a better bonus to Air Superiority Mission Efficiency, which is the other key stat for fighters.

Correct me if I'm wrong but just "Air Superiority" is the stat that affects the bonus fighters give to ground troups.

All of the "X Mission Efficiency" bonus only help with the Mission Efficiency stat, which is what % of planes given a mission show up. And that stat in practice overwhelmingly dominated by range penalty and caps at 100%.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Gort posted:

Air Superiority Mission Efficiency is a multiplier to the stats of planes doing the Air Superiority mission, so a 20% Air Superiority Mission Efficiency bonus means your fighters will have 20% more attack, defense and agility than they would normally, which is a pretty big deal when fighters are the most common plane and Air Superiority is the most common mission.

But the mission efficiency still maxes out at 100% and is 100% by default unless you have range/overcrowding/weather right?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Ironicly, the Spanish Civil War now can go even faster if you are a human controlling volunteers. With the massive speed penalties and bonehead AI, its trivial to slip a few light tank divisions through a hole and cap VPs and isolate pockets. With just 2 of Germany's starting tank divisions, I ended the war in about 4 months never actually fighting other than for Madrid when it lost its unplanned attack penalty.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 26, 2020

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I just did the Napoleon achievement and I garrisoned the Maginot with 24 division of 1 infantry each and was never attacked. Declared on Germany when they demanded the Sudetenland and sat behind forts over rivers in the netherlands and let them burn out for almost a year.

I also invaded the UK in 1938 by building nothing but subs and stacking my whole fleet and launching and invasion 1 hour after war dec. I never got naval superiority in the channel again, but shipped over the rest of the army despite it. The UKs fleet was too busy taking days to fight small groups of subs to attack convoys. The rest of my surface fleet sat in port for future use vs Germany/Italy. Never made any nav bombers, just fighters and CAS.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Do non-fascist governments not get collaboration government mission effects? As monarchist France I couldn't figure out what if anything it did for compliance, but then saw it work as Germany. Now as monarchist Portugal I'm pretty sure its not doing anything again.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Might just be an EAW thing, but I discovered by accident today that you can steal the other side of concentrated/dispersed industry and have both full trees. I also was able to get both flexible and streamlined assembly lines, but didn't seem to be able to get multiple doctrines.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

If the buff to production output is buffed cumulatively then that's game breaking.

Yup, the two trees buffs seem to be additive with each other just like they are with their own tiers.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

What the current meta on breakthrough divisions? I mostly go with a 20 width of 3 mot, 4 light tank, and 2 Mart/SPart. Going with heavier units or more width rarely seem to be worth the extra cost compared to having more of these.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I wish you could buy your own resources on the market. Free trade shouldn't mean you CANT use it locally.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

1 km/h with the penalty isn't that much worse than the 2-3 km/h infantry usually operate at once terrain and other effects are factored in. Outmaneuvering is by far the easiest way to win the SCW against AI. Its harder as a nation giving voluneteers, I would generaly poke holes either with overwhelming force in a state without the buff or through open lines with the buff, and be sure to keep at least 1 unit per tile until the AI filters in. It takes longer to get the good encircles, but the AI randomly moves around enough for them to still happen eventually.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Japan is the only nation that it feels like your surface navy is both important to your overall game (unlike Germany/Italy/Ussr/France) and not unbeatable not matter have poorly you run it (Us/UK).

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The AI also doesn't really do encirclements and wont go more than a few provinces past the normal front line. If you try and bait a small hole like that they probably will just ignore it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Doing a Speer play through first and wanted to check if this was a bug or intended: I have had no national focuses to do for almost 3 years since the end of my current tree is locked behind united europe and my 4 remaining unite decisions are locked behind having Norway in my faction.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Zeron posted:

Have you tried saving and reloading? You have to do that to get focus trees to show up sometimes.

So far i've done LBJ-USA, Takagi-Japan, and Speer-Germany....Speer-Germany definitely was the best for the future, but it sure put a bad taste in my mouth at first. Of course the final events took that away so that's all good. If the Italians hadn't stuck to Fascism it would have probably been the golden ending.

Edit: My debt was going out of control and then the debt interest went negative so I started making money off of it. Ha.

Reloading didn't work, but digging into the event/decisions/focus files it looks like I never got the decision because Norway didn't have the flag for one of its GCW results. Tag switching to them and running one of their last events solved it.

Also I liked this at the head of the Speer focus tree:

# CIVIL WAR TREES holy poo poo these need a rework

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Arbite posted:

Is there a hard end date on TNO, because it feels like keeping the public onside with the space program will take a while.

I don't know about any America paths, but two Germany path so far have had a credit screen announcing the end of content.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Field hospitals and medical transport copters stack, give 60% manpower return and 40% experience at 1960s tech level.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Hopefully we’ll get Mod mod for the color pallet.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Anyone know where in particular the "Country" buff/penalty comes from? I'm having an unusually rough time as Bormann is the GCW, and noticed all my combats I have a -65% Country penalty to att/def/breakthrough. Adding up my laws and spirits, I should have +25% attack, so I'm getting a -90% somewhere.

edit: The production screen also has a -80% production efficiency from "war exhaustion", so it might be related to that, but I don't have any idea anywhere for that and I'm like 2 months into the war.

2nd edit: Dug into the code and there is a hidden dynamic debuff that when you have more states than other GCW countries and have low surrender progress yourself you get penalties. Probably to make the war last longer and be more back and forth.

At its strongest its:
army_attack_factor = -0.80
army_defence_factor = -0.60
dig_in_speed_factor = -0.60
planning_speed = -0.60
army_morale_factor = -0.40
production_factory_max_efficiency_factor = -0.40
production_factory_efficiency_gain_factor = -0.80

Harder to notice as the others I played since they start small, but Borman will have it pretty much from the beginning.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 28, 2020

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Hungary can get into some scraps in the Balkans early, but you also might just use the 1939 start.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

My general progression is to use light tank and motorized art early, switching to med tank and L SPART made out of out light tanks, and when med 2 comes around switching to M SPART made from med 1s.

Ratio wise I like 2/4 art for 20/40 width, enough motorized to get 25+ org, and the rest tanks.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

You probably wont have the army exp to be able to make a 40w untill well past 1936 tech, so you;ll have more org from doctrine and can have less motorized, but in general yeah. Support companies are fine, but cost alot of army exp for what they provide, especially at low tech levels.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Doing a Goering run and I unified the Balkans under a Reichskommissariat (which is automatic after the war). Great, except it doesn't have cores on anything so it has crazy resistance and no manpower to suppress it. 100% of thier factories and infrastructure is now broken. It is the Balkans though so maybe :thejoke:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

TNO is good and cool, but its getting really frustrating how much doesn't work. Is there a list of the countries that are in a playable state? Just spent several hours fiddling with worker sliders as Burgundy only to find that the Uranium mining mechanic doesn't work.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

You can also use them to help cheese civil wars. Know what states the other side will get? Make all his factories civs!

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Has anyone noticed that in TNO investing your reserves into GDP is actively harmful? It doesn't increase your revenue at all, but still increases your expenses that are a % of GDP.

I generally don't do much with the economy tab other than boost ever cooldown, but as a USA right wing run I had 200B of excess cash so I tried it only to see my expenses shoot up, but not my income even after time/reload.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

Mexico has a similar mechanic in that you have to keep the church/republicans happy, by spending pp or managing civics, or a civil war will erupt.

Speaking of which, how the gently caress do I deal with Peru if I want to annex South America before '45? I've tried Pacific amphibious assaults to take Lima but 7/2 stacks w/ CAS either get repealed or run out of supply before I can link up the front line from the north. Allying with Bolivia and Brazil are useless as neither pose a threat. I'm still pretty new to HOI4 but it seems like an impossible task.

If you've already taken some bordering countries first, back off their border and let them come to you in the plains (or at least not mountain+river+entrench) and fight them there. Can be further helped by a naval invasion behind their thrust or just cav/mot dashing around them. Go for little surrounds too, only getting 2 divisions in a pocket is still good when its 10% of their whole army.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 19, 2020

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Strat bombing is only really useful in long grindy wars, which in single player are rare outside of AI Germany Vs AI USSR. A tank division doing a breakthrough and surround is going to do way more equipment damage than bombing in the short run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

I wish we had trained aircrew as a resource but the last time a coder looked at it he started crying blood and speaking in tongues so I dunno how realistic it is for a dlc.

You could abstract it out of individual units/groups and have a countrywide score like war support that ticks up when planes/carriers do exercises and ticks down when those units sink or have losses.

Would also be neat to have an airfield being overrun have impacts instead of having the planes just pop to the next one.